Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I...sincerely doubt it. I know I wouldn't ask EVERYONE if they go on any outlets.

Maybe the app raised the bar for what NOT to do.

Edited by SurrealBrain
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's the fuss about his app, after all? What does it do? What does it offer when Penders has NOTHING to offer?

If I recall correctly. He said the people who tested the app said it was great and it raised the bar massively for comic apps.

Well, to your point, they should say it themselves and not rely on others to convey their opinions. Do none of them have access to, or interest in, social media? None of them know how to effectively describe their feelings on Facebook or anywhere else? I'm sorry, but there's no way I can accept this excuse. It's highly implausible, and Ken should know how this sounds. Ken isn't an unbiased source, so of course I'm not going to assume that everything he says on this issue is true to life. I don't want to make an argument that Ken is a compulsive liar, but if he said exactly that, then there's no way I'm going to accept his word that other people think it's that good. 

Indeed, he does say he was "encouraged" by the reaction to the app. I'm not sure if this is other people's reaction, or just his own opinion, but he does also say that the app "raises the bar" for comic apps. Though the takeaway from all this is, that, yes, apparently people think the app is of a high quality, and only the people who were there at Comic-Con and we have to take his word on that, since we don't have anything else to check it against (apparently NO ONE has the means which is already suspect).

Regarding Co-Ownership, I cannot recall where I saw it, but I'm fairly certain that he did once explain that he had full-ownership over the things that were co-created by him and Kantevorich, and one thing he has consistently mentioned is that he is close friends with the guy... now it's entirely possible that he might have a rosier interpretation of things than most would, as he tends to do, but there's little reason to doubt that he would indeed have covered the copyrights that were co-creations before pressing forward on his claim. Further, he has mentioned more than a few times that he cannot touch the creations of Mike Gallagher, whose character Athair is fairly integral to his entire mythos, and because of this he has created a gender-bent stand-in called 'Auri-On'. If he would go through the trouble of bothering with Gallagher, then it stands to reason that he would indeed have asked Kantevorich's permission and have been granted full copyright... though again, my memory is a bit fuzzy on the issue.

I can always look up exactly what's been said about the ownership (I have a feeling it's the same letters to the copyright office I was quoting a while back), but it's true he did have a few of his collaborators (specifically, anybody who co-wrote stories with him, so that would include Kanterovich, Fulop, and Emery) sign their rights over. Gallagher is a different case because Penders never worked with him, and even when he used some of Gallagher's creations when he was on the book (e.g. Ancient Walkers, Athair, Fiona), Gallagher did not work on those particular stories, nor was Pen involved, in any way, in the creation of those characters, so they're off-limits, if the replacement for Athair is anything to go by. On the flip side, he created characters like Enerjak/Dimitri or Kragok with Mike K. and Fulop, respectively, so he actually has a stake in them and got them signed over. I don't know what the specifics are, and we'll probably never know, but if nothing else, we do know those co-creations belong to Pen at this point. I'm not sure exactly how ownership of the original character designs work. It could be he made the bare minimum changes to the designs because he doesn't own the originals or can't get permission to use them (despite owning the characters outright). Of course, this is ignoring that all the Echydnya are still Knuckles clones, but apparently they're different enough legally... I don't know how. Who knows, might explain why St. John is virtually unchanged while everyone else has bare minimum changes.

Guys, maybe Penders has people sign non disclosure forms about his app. His wife is a lawyer after all, might make it easier to get access to them. I could totally see Ken throwing a contract at you before looking at his stuff, just so you couldn't bad mouth it.

• Thumbs Up 2

That seems rather stupid when he then goes on Twitter to boast that it was regarded as high standard and a bar raiser for comic apps everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't believe anything Penders says about this App and it being a so-called success. If people who came to his stand at Comic Con really said it was such a great App then why is nobody who was there talking about it on his Twitter? Nobody mentions the App except for the creator himself!

Surely they weren't told by Penders to keep quiet about it? o_o

• Thumbs Up 2

An app so secret that he showed it off to members of the general public at Comic Con.  Hmm.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, if he really wanted to prove that it was ''high quality top of the line'', why doesn't he take a screenshot of the App and show it to us, instead of expecting us to go off what he says? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Soo...what I'm wondering about the app is, did Penders code it all himself? How easy is it to learn how to program an app?

• Thumbs Up 1

IIRC, he actually has a programmer who was working on the app. I can't remember his name (it was Patrick, I think?), but I'm pretty sure the app development isn't a solo effort.

OK, that makes sense. I thought I read someone say he was doing it himself, but I thought that sounded rather odd.

Not so much related to Ken Penders this time, but remember his #1 fan, FuhrerMustang? Remember when he called Ian and Archie out for their Patreons? Well...

I hope to God, that he's just being... satirical is the right word to use, right?

I'm not sure if that's something we should discuss as it has nothing to do with Pen.

Just report him and move on, he's not worth discussion anyway because he's just cringe worthy and desperate.

• Thumbs Up 6

"I also partake in BTFO Ian Flynn fanboys and Sonic autistics  (AKA the Lord's work.)"

I don't know what "Lord" he's worshiping (probably Penders), but it sure as Chaotic Inferno Zone ain't mine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said it once and I'll say it again; that guy truly IS the fan that Penders deserves. 

Anyway, back to the app... I really, really do not get the business strategy here. It's gonna cost money to make the graphic novel. It'll cost more money to make the app. It'll cost even MORE money to make multiple translations. All the while not verifying that his aforementioned graphic novel is a product that can generate the level of interest needed to make earning back the costs and gaining a profit *feasible*.

But remember, he's a businessman, ladies and gentlemen. The crayon made degree on his wall says so. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't have business credentials to speak of and I could be a better businessman. I'm sure at least some common sense is required, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it seems that the App is coming along smoothly. We still haven't seen it, but apparently it's coming along smoothly. He's also looking into putting games into it.

EDIT: 

Apparently there is no way to get any pictures of the app.

EDIT 2:
After pointing out how to get pictures this is what he said:

Apparently it's too good for pictures.

EDIT 3:

Apparently the horrible and ugly art is all the hype people need for the amazing app.

Edited by therealfalconpawnch77
  • Thumbs Up 7

The Lara-Su Chronicles... on PS4? Gaming? Err... Mr Penders shouldn't you focus on one thing at a time? Like making sure the graphic novel whether digital or physical is at a decent quality first... oh wait I forgot your artwork and writing is always fine, your silent fan base said so. No need to worry even though a lot of people have major concerns.  

Edited by Mightyray
  • Thumbs Up 1

Apparently there is no way to get any pictures of the app.

Well of course there isn't. I mean really, why on earth would anyone want even the most basic kind of verification that his little miracle program can do ANY of the things he promises? Madness, that. 

The fact that he mentioned animation in relation to this thing terrifies me.

I really don't want to see Granny-Su or any of the CG models MOVE, no matter how minor.

Please just be stupid little menu things.

• Thumbs Up 9