Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

You know what?

Despite all the stuff this guy has done, I've been willing to stand up for him when folks were harsh about his artwork. But no more.

He's either misguided or overly confident, probably both, and doesn't realize he's not the best artist in the world. There's a REASON artists and writers are usually separate jobs... they are good at what they specialize in. Someone like Ian Flynn can draw, but he can't draw anywhere near as good as Yardley or Herms or Stanley. So he draws up a concept for them if he ever needs to, and lets them make the final version. Pretty sure he as much as the editors acknowledge his shortcomings. And that's healthy; trying to do everything yourself is a fool's errand. Focus on what you do best.

Likewise, that's what Ken should be doing. He should make concepts... and get someone else to draw this out for him. If he wants this work to be remotely respectable, he's not doing a good job at it. Would you make a comic with stick figures and consider it a professional work outside comedy purposes? Probably not... quality is important.

Hire someone who can draw good. There's no shortage of starving artists who will happily do it to buy their next meal.

• Thumbs Up 8

Kevin has more than exceeded my expectations and proven to me that just because he's located on the other side of the world from me is no reason we couldn't collaborate.

The model Kevin built will be used as the reference standard for all things Lien-Da. I'm hoping to have the 360º view of her ready when I post the Lien-Da Data File on TL-SC website which is currently being assembled.

On top of that, a well-known actress will be the voice of Lien-Da as we assemble the video presentation, to say nothing of Costume Designer Mike Philpot putting on the finishing touches to the Praetorian's Hat for unveiling, as well as a couple of other goodies to be announced shortly.

The main focus, though, is on the story and art. I'm hoping to wrap the story very shortly which will then allow me to focus exclusively on the art going forward.

Some comments from the man, himself.

More teasing about "well-known actresses" voicing his characters (she must be getting paid very well) and that the modeler's work "exceeded [his] expectations." But, these are all based on Penders's drawings, so it's not hard to imagine why it looks so horrid (between his overall skill and terrible taste in design). Ugh. I can't process how he thinks this is appealing to anyone (and now I'm tempted to do my own version just because--not that my attempt will be great, but I like to think I can make something slightly more tasteful looking).

Is he doing this for him, or for commercial success?

If there really is a well-known actress involved, I assume the latter.

The thing is, you gotta spend serious money to make a work a commercial success usually. He can hire an actress but not an artist who can draw better than him?

This is, once more... a case of severe incompetence on his part, or shows that he has an overly confident view of his own artwork. Yes, it's mean to say a person's artwork is terrible, but at the same time... there IS objective quality in a lot of pieces. Shading, anatomy, etc. and he doesn't do very well in these. He needs to acknowledge his faults and let someone else handle that.

Hell, since he has the legal rights he should seriously look into a fundraiser for it. Yes, it probably wouldn't go anywhere, but... it would at least show he acknowledges this isn't a one man job. He's acknowledged that he can't voice a woman or render a model... why not admit he can't draw as good as so many others, either?

I think it's supposed to be a really horrible pun on the word "Deviousness."

Yeeeah, the pun was so bad it took me like an hour to realise. mellow.png

• Thumbs Up 3

MY EYES THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING

Holy shit, I didn't think it could get WORSE. I think I almost screamed when I saw it.

• Thumbs Up 8

MY EYES THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING

Holy shit, I didn't think it could get WORSE. I think I almost screamed when I saw it.

I'm sure he'll find a way to make it worse than even this. He always does.

I'd say he needs to bring Evan Stanley on board so she can design a monstrous questionably-PG form for one of the characters... but that would probably make this entertaining.

Though at the rate he's going he'd just design it himself.

...not sure if that would ruin or enhance the entertainment value...

Hell, since he has the legal rights he should seriously look into a fundraiser for it. Yes, it probably wouldn't go anywhere, but... it would at least show he acknowledges this isn't a one man job. He's acknowledged that he can't voice a woman or render a model... why not admit he can't draw as good as so many others, either?

Honestly, I think he's just too delusional to care at this point. There were artists that actually offered to fix his designs and create better artwork for him than what he was turning out... and he didn't accept any of that, so that says a lot about the man's ego. Tying a supposedly well-known actress down to a role in his story is only a feather in his cap, not the actress's.

I'd say he needs to bring Evan Stanley on board so she can design a monstrous questionably-PG form for one of the characters... but that would probably make this entertaining.

Though at the rate he's going he'd just design it himself.

...not sure if that would ruin or enhance the entertainment value...

Why would you want to end her career so quickly, man?

Oh my God...  Does this guy ever not surprise us in the most wrong ways imaginable?  Now I feel prepared to see anything worse than this.  Because, you know if there's one talent Penders seems to have been born with it's the ability to horrify us to greater levels with every new piece of so called "artwork." 

Honestly, I think he's just too delusional to care at this point. There were artists that actually offered to fix his designs and create better artwork for him than what he was turning out... and he didn't accept any of that, so that says a lot about the man's ego. Tying a supposedly well-known actress down to a role in his story is only a feather in his cap, not the actress's.

He... rejected... free work? Didn't even give them a chance to submit a design and decide if he liked it or not?

Dear God. Is there anyone who's actually still genuinely interested in his work for something besides how much it will inflate the shares of popcorn companies?

He... rejected them?  That's it.  I truly now believe the man is just trying to sabotage himself.  Surely the man has lost some sanity?  Because this is just sounding less and less lucid.

He... rejected... free work? Didn't even give them a chance to submit a design and decide if he liked it or not?

Dear God. Is there anyone who's actually still genuinely interested in his work for something besides how much it will inflate the shares of popcorn companies?

I don't know the details, but I have read about one or two people that submitted samples that he turned away. I'm pretty certain this was one of those samples, but I can't find the post on his forum at the moment (but I distinctly remember him saying he liked it, but it wasn't what he wanted to do or something). EDIT: Oh, here it is, on the artist's tumblr.

I think a better question is, 'was anyone ever genuinely interested in his work?'.

Sweet Jesus, I threw up in my mouth a little. That is the scariest motherfucker I've ever seen. Shame on you Penders. If you think that's fantastic you deserve all you get online.

If I recall, she offered the design free of charge, no strings attached (since I belive this was after the Discover Your Destiny pic). Ken basically shut her down.

...The fan-made Lara-Su looks like she'd actually be a nice fit in the Sonic book (old continuity) as well as a standalone work. I can only imagine Penders felt like he got shanked in the gut when a fan made redesign made in a few days at most looked infinitely better than what he as a decades long "veteren" could do after a year.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_n4kn511qup1ryrpc0o1_250.png

Before today, I didn't think it was possible for someone to throw up from their own eyeballs, but that just made me do it.

Good job, Penders. I need to go wash my brain out with soap...or acid.

• Thumbs Up 7

His arrogance makes me sick. This man cannot be sane. 

Also, that...thing he calls Lien-Da legitimately scared me and I jumped and now I think I might cry

If this is what that horrifying cg does to me, imagine the kids...

Hey guys how it's going what did I--AHHHHHHHHHH!

Omfg what is that?! It actually looks even uglier than the Lara-Su Grinch picture what with it being CGI and dat grin. *shudder*

• Thumbs Up 1

I just spent an hour looking throughout this entire topic. Oh man, what a card this guy is.... I knew he was notorious, but I've never really looked into what he did. I grew up on the Sonic comics, and I stopped reading them for a while when they became "Furry Dramas."  Once I began this topic, I couldn't stop.. This is such a train wreck that I can't look away from.

I'm legitamately curious as to what LSC will be like, just out of bile fascination, but at the same time I really do not want to give my money to this man.

I don't know the details, but I have read about one or two people that submitted samples that he turned away. I'm pretty certain this was one of those samples, but I can't find the post on his forum at the moment (but I distinctly remember him saying he liked it, but it wasn't what he wanted to do or something). EDIT: Oh, here it is, on the artist's tumblr.

I love this design! It's a different take on the character, while still showing homage to the Sonic series. It figures Penders would reject this, (In a way that comes across as a bit rude, I might add) and insists on going with this monstrosity.

Ken just Tweeted this and

BmCuZ3WCAAAvQAm.jpg

The face on this thing made me jump as soon as I saw it. I'm not even exaggerating, this scared the crap out of me, looking at this in the middle of the night in the dark. DX

It's a terrifying hybrid of Anime, Echidna, realism, and Penders.

It should be banned from existence.

Also, the creepiest thing is probably...her teeth. I mean, granted, the whole thing is a mess, but maybe if her teeth weren't so night-marish it would look slightly less bad...probably not, but still.

• Thumbs Up 5

Geebus...

As far as he's stretching this stuff to the point of unrecognizable, you wonder why he "needed" these characters.

Good lord, you can imagine what Queen Alicia, Geoferry, and the others will look like.

• Thumbs Up 1