Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

OK, seriously, I am seriously considering Penders lost his mind long ago.  No one and I mean NO one with even the merest iota of sense would parody an infamous and tragic event like that in a children's comic starring Sonic The Freaking Hedgehog!  What was he sniffing when he stewed up that abomination?  It's so bad a concept, it makes me forget how awful the art is for that cover.  Biznizz summed up everything beautifully with the magnitude of wrongdoing in that one, single idea.  Makes me appreciate how Endgame turned out in the end, despite its poor quality.  Thank god it remained only an idea and never became a printed story...

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so one bad thing is that we would have characters that would reference the OJ Simpson Trial amongst the other parodies like Robin Hood and Sailor Moon, which isn't fitting at all.

But I'm also concerned about the fact that Penders basically ignored what Gallagher established about Mobian sea life for the sake of this parody. Add that to the pile of stuff he'd already disregarded from him.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, seriously, I am seriously considering Penders lost his mind long ago.  No one and I mean NO one with even the merest iota of sense would parody an infamous and tragic event like that in a children's comic starring Sonic The Freaking Hedgehog!  What was he sniffing when he stewed up that abomination?

I think it stems from a twisted desire to be taken seriously and seen as a highly relevant individual to the current times. However due to his overall ineptitude, this is pretty much guaranteed to fail.

When you look at the way Penders has acted throughout the years as well as the things he's done during his tenure in comics, there is set of behaviors that remain pretty consistent:

1) He doesn't see comics as anything except a stepping stone towards "mature" media such as television and film, and is insistent on calling his comics "graphic novels".

2) His tendency to try to insert things that are/were popular such as Star Trek/Star Wars and various other bits of pop culture.

3) His tendency to stuff relevant at the time events or major historical events like the OJ Simpson case and the Holocaust.

4) His tendency to glorify anything he does regardless of actual quality.

5) His complete unwillingness to collaborate with others in a way that isn't basically shunting their work aside, or stealing their work as his own.

6) A complete inability to meaningfully learn from his mistakes.

These behaviors are all interconnected in some form: Point 1 highlights his  lack of genuine care or respect for the medium of comic books, but because he badly wants to be relevant, he naturally tries to turn it into a means to benefit only himself, via Point 2 and 3. However due to Point 4, he cannot use Point 2 or 3 in a tasteful or well written manner, which causes the quality of his work to plummet. Naturally since comics (and a lot of major media for that matter) are collaborative efforts, so his fellow writers, inkers, letter...ers and whatnot try to salvage his mess, but due to Point 5, this only makes things much worse and causes him to become even more defensive than he already was (and burn a shitload of bridges), leading to Point 6, which of course ends up connecting back to every other Point as well.

• Thumbs Up 9

Seriously, Ken...?

I shouldn't really be surprised by that cover, but I am. El Grande Pendejo keeps finding new and creative ways to demonstrate what a colossal tool he is, and evidently always has been. It would seem that any good material he produced at Archie -- and I maintain that he did produce some good material, or we wouldn't be so broken up about him stealing so many beloved characters and forcing over twenty years of continuity to be scrapped -- but it would seem that the good stuff he brought to the book was accidental. 

So, Drago, a white wolf responsible for framing Sonic, was originally going to be called "Whitey"...? When you realise that, you realise that the name change is fairly superfluous (and possibly an editorial decision?); he's still a white wolf framing a character who, at the time, was voiced predominantly by a black man. This is still a back-handed reference to the OJ Simpson trial, because this cover demonstrates that that's where Penders got the idea from. 

Does this man even engage his brain before he puts pen to paper... or fingers to keyboard...? 

• Thumbs Up 4

Hasn't it been established he doesn't read what the other writers make? Maybe he didn't know.

I think he's said as much, or people assumed that, but frankly it's just as believable that he was paying attention to what the other writer(s) were doing but just didn't care.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the brief overview of the OJ Simpson trial bizznizz. I'd heard of the guy before and the controversy surrounding this trial but didn't know any of the other details like lawyers and stuff. Still, it's so weird to see this "parodied" in a Sonic comic of all things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome recap of the OJ Simpson trial, that should get things clear for the younger people on just why this is was a fucking stupid idea for Penders to do at the time (even if it didn't go through it was even stupid to think it and then draw it)

This makes me somewhat relieved that I never read the pre-reboot comics.

Why.

Don't bother, its just a long winding road that leads to nowhere in the end and getting attached to characters that get wiped out with no resolutions.

I really wish I never read pre-reboot stuff too esp. now that Shard is never coming back.

• Thumbs Up 1

More from the Pendejo.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/582172548072243200

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/582173448627081216

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/582209490570772481

There was a bunch of other posts about him waxing nostalgic over that damn trial, but this gets to the meat of it; excuses and justifications for his actions and no ability to conceive of what others could see wrong in what he did. As usual.

• Thumbs Up 1

I stand in horrified awe at this latest bizarre revelation from Penders's history.  The OJ Simpson trial?  Really?  He thought that was suitable material for a parody in a children's comic book?

...I'm honestly kind of disappointed it didn't go through, you know.  Not because I approve, but because I think it would have drawn negative attention to Penders that would have been ultimately beneficial to the comic as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 4

Endgame is a must-read?

Many consider End-Game to be an absolutely dreadful piece of work in the Sonic series that's riddled with plot holes, idiotic moments, and so much more, the only reason most people read it is so they can look at the piece of shit in its full horror.

The best finale to Sonic & Eggman's battles was Issue 200. The way it should have been done. Sonic vs Eggman, Eggman in a mech, both exchanging taunts to one another, and Them both looking back at past events, only for us to get a brilliant payoff that managed to make it that Eggman would be out of commission for a while but not killing him off...unlike a certain other writer.

• Thumbs Up 6

The Final Fight between Robotnik and Sonic in that was in fact pretty bitching, but that was ultimately due to the art... the whole story is just a plothole ridden mess that shouldn't have gotten past the first issue, especially considering the fact that the frame-up plot had been used several times already. 

In fact, in response to it, a parody comic called 'Endlame' had even been made. Endgame's success speak more of the strength of the franchise than it does about Penders himself.

• Thumbs Up 5

Even more annoying was that through one or two pages, that Hershey plothole, as idiotic as it is might have been explainable. For example, Drago could lie to Hershey, saying Max gave him orders to tell her to wear the Sonic costume in order to lure swatbots away from the real Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, didn't think Ross, being Australian 'n all, grew up with the American Sonic books. ...Or that he got into them after he moved, either way.

Glad to see he seems a bit incredulous at Kenders' stupidity, but I'm more surprised that Arin actually knew how to pronounce that stupid f*cking name.

Sorry, before I saw that episode, I had no idea that Oglivie was actually a real name (and neither did Ross apparently).

But as the supposed "real name of Sonic", it's incredibly stupid. For a guy who decried the book's early comedy, I have no idea why Kenders decided to not only make the Maurice middle name "canon" for his serious work, but felt that Sonic's name couldn't just be Sonic.

No offense to anyone who has Oglivie as a real first or surname, I'm speaking in the context for the character, singular.

• Thumbs Up 6

I love how Penders falls back on appealing to sales figures whenever anyone is critical of his work on the book. He never takes any other factors into consideration. Let's assume for a moment that he's right and Endgame has the best sales figures on the book before or since. That doesn't necessarily make it the best story on the book before or since. Indeed, its critical reception is lacklustre at best. And this is not unprecedented; how many terrible movies are there that have done tremendously well at the box office, despite being panned by critics and forgotten years later? How many good movies were box office flops and only received the critical acclaim they deserve many years later as cult classics? The quality of a story should never be judged by its economic success. 

Moreover, let's also remember that this was 1997. This story was closer to Sonic's beginnings than it is to the present day. Sonic was still relatively new then and still very popular -- much more so than today. Sonic was a household name in a way he just isn't today and people back then wanted Sonic stories and, with the cartoons over and Sonic Adventure in development, the comic was pretty much it. Moreover, comics generally get a surge in readership towards milestone issues featuring some major event, which Endgame promised. So, there are reasons other than the quality of the story to account for its sales figures.

But then, we are talking about Penders, aren't we? And the man does seem to be convinced that he was somehow the greatest Sonic writer ever, so trying to convince him that sales figures -- the only thing on his side in this argument -- don't necessarily mean what he wants them to mean is probably an exercise in futility.

• Thumbs Up 8

Kenders is like the old man who says that "back in his day, you could live for a week on 50 bucks" while ignoring a few little things like INFLATION and ECONOMICS.

How much did the book cost back in '97? Less than it does now, that's for sure.

And let's not forget the other reasons that Bethany listed.

Kenders needs to accept that is Sonic is still struggling for relevence, then there's no way that Lara-Su perched atop her thrown of ex-Sonic OC's will even be a blip. And that's even if he DIDN'T pull all the crap he did and gut a long running book for his own self interest.

• Thumbs Up 6

Gotta love how Knuckles's pose is way bigger than Sonic's by comparison.

Real subtle there, Penders.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is both on and off the topic of that cover. Notice how Dylan is specified as being there, as well as Geoffrey?

I saw these sets of images from the comics recently and it kind of put the nail into some thoughts I've been having rereading the comics and thinking about what Pendejo did.

tumblr_nm04n5qsKk1qlj42ao1_500.png

tumblr_nm04n5qsKk1qlj42ao2_500.png

• Thumbs Up 3

He didn't draw it. There's a lot of problems with the picture but he didn't draw it.

You can tell he didn't because Tails doesn't have a comb over.

But then, we are talking about Penders, aren't we? And the man does seem to be convinced that he was somehow the greatest Sonic writer ever, so trying to convince him that sales figures -- the only thing on his side in this argument -- don't necessarily mean what he wants them to mean is probably an exercise in futility.

There was once a time when he could admit that one reason that stuff was selling so well was because, for a moment, the comic was the only game in town. That was then though, and this is now. Now Penders seems all but convinced that he was indeed the 'savior' of the comic and that his work was something so iconic, well known and popular that it lives on even now and that somehow, the fact HE made all that will be enough to draw people to LSC. He talks about how 'newer' fans even seek out Endgame, but from what I've witnessed, younger fans either don't know or only know because of horror stories told by fans who were around for it. 

And yeah, his reliance on the idea of sales meaning quality is pretty ludicrous. Rob Liefeld use to bring in top dollar at Image Comics. NOTHING he made had any kind of objective quality to it. But then again, logical fallacies are Penders best friend; he likes to appeal to larger problems constantly as a way to take attention off of his own actions. He's very fortunate that no one has yet to really put him on the spot in real life and that his main means of conveying his nonsense is a medium that limits what people can say to him.

• Thumbs Up 2