Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

This Shadow debate leaves me to one conclusion.

Shadow is Vegeta. And Metal Sonic is an android. All we need is a speed level and we got a show.

...I'll stop now.

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 3

I unno, the whole "you're an embarrassment to your race" gives me more a proud warrior race guy vibe.

Maybe Sonic did something that got them both kicked out of their clan or something that wasn't Shadow's fault and that's why he hates Sonic.

I love that idea. I always saw Shadow as a proud guy who values strength and pride (which sounds weird I know) so I like that line.

... They were in a clan of carpentry hedgehogs and Sonic accidentally blew up Shadow's chair Michael Bay style and they were kicked out.

just kidding, I really do like that idea. I really hope they do that because for Shadow that would be a really good reason for him to hate Sonic so much. Shadow just doesn't like Sonic anyway in general. I still want them to have it be for a silly reason like burning food or something or the chair.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pushing the shadow's a rich spoiled brat in that universe idea. 

I'd totally dig that. Sounds about right anyway.

I love that idea. I always saw Shadow as a proud guy who values strength and pride (which sounds weird I know) so I like that line.

... They were in a clan of carpentry hedgehogs and Sonic accidentally blew up Shadow's chair Michael Bay style and they were kicked out.

just kidding, I really do like that idea. I really hope they do that because for Shadow that would be a really good reason for him to hate Sonic so much. Shadow just doesn't like Sonic anyway in general. I still want them to have it be for a silly reason like burning food or something or the chair.

shadow has never been that his desire for power has always been to protect people. He's ffriendship/ "with great power comes great responsibility " the character. Arguably hes way more self rightious sonic is.

I guess that's why folks are so salty.it comes off like the staff didn't know how/ care how the character worked.

I'd totally dig that. Sounds about right anyway.

the reason i mention it is, if you notice. Sonic and crew are literally holding their shit together with tape and his shit is new shiny and rocket powered with gold rings. 

It would be an interesting take on his character.

Another fun idea, based on the last few seconds of shattered crystal. Him and knuckles are friends/a couple others and sonic and maybe like sticks don't get him. 

Edited by Shadowlax

Well I mean, the other thing is *also* a new take. I don't think "entitled rich kid" works well with "actually competent fighter". Generally Draco Malfoy is the rule, and Jonathan Joestar is the exception.

shadow has never been that his desire for power has always been to protect people. He's ffriendship/ "with great power comes great responsibility " the character. Arguably hes way more self rightious sonic is.

I guess that's why folks are so salty.it comes off like the staff didn't know how/ care how the character worked.

the reason i mention it is, if you notice. Sonic and crew are literally holding their shit together with tape and his shit is new shiny and rocket powered with gold rings. 

It would be an interesting take on his character.

Another fun idea, based on the last few seconds of shattered crystal. Him and knuckles are friends/a couple others and sonic and maybe like sticks don't get him. 

I agree also, however I still saw at least some of Shadow's traits being that he's values strength (which we know his strength is to protect those he loves/Maria) and generally he is as you say very self righteous especially when around Sonic as he sees Sonic as an inferior idiot at times, but also as the only worthy opponent.

I think some people are just upset that they don't explain why Shadow hates Sonic. I'm sure if they explain that in a good way most would be satisfied considering it explains his personality and beef with Sonic. A lot of fans love Shadow in the show. I myself love him and I don't mind his personality at all. I just love how he's the only serious character in the show and I'm excited to see what they do with him. Considering this is an AU from initial impressions I like what they did with Shadow. I'm interested to see who he is and I hope they do have an episode explaining why he hates Sonic. I'm very interested in why.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I mean, the other thing is *also* a new take. I don't think "entitled rich kid" works well with "actually competent fighter". Generally Draco Malfoy is the rule, and Jonathan Joestar is the exception.

there are a ton of characters thar work that way....some of the most famous video game characters actually....

Do you want a list?

Edited by Shadowlax

Go ahead, try me. Find a game character that is rich and entitled, is an anti-hero that hates the main character, and is also anything competent at fighting him.

Edited by Shaddy Joestar Dreemurr

Go ahead, try me. Find a game character that is rich and entitled, is an anti-hero that hates the main character, and is also anything competent at fighting him.

kazuya mishima

Jin kazama

protagonists of the tekken series of fighting games. Though jin is more of a bad guy these days. To be quite honest their story could be easily wrapped on to shadow.

I got more if you want? Different personalities too?Rich heroic asshole is one, who thinks their above the law of the most popular archetypes in fiction. I didn't even mention the biggest most obvious one.

Also not doing the "hates the main character" or the anti hero thing, the latter gets gray, the former gets muddled when the guy also happens to be a main character. Heck shadow might be in the same position later in this series, also we dont even know why shadow fights sonic. Shadow has made no claim to hate him...ever. But if you want self rightious rich ass holes , lets go.

Edited by Shadowlax

kazuya mishima

Jin kazama

protagonists of the tekken series of fighting games. Though jin is more of a bad guy these days. To be quite honest their story could be easily wrapped on to shadow.

I got more if you want? Different personalities too?Rich heroic asshole is one, who thinks their above the law of the most popular archetypes in fiction. I didn't even mention the biggest most obvious one.

Also not doing the "hates the main character" or the anti hero thing, the latter gets gray, the former gets muddled when the guy also happens to be a main character. Heck shadow might be in the same position later in this series, also we dont even know why shadow fights sonic. Shadow has made no claim to hate him...ever. But if you want self rightious rich ass holes , lets go.

I'm pretty sure wanting to kill someone over their inability to build a bookcase constitutes as "hate".

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure wanting to kill someone over their inability to build a bookcase constitutes as "hate".

you remember when shadow was talking about friends making you weak and hint-written off by mind control? Untill shadow says " i hate you" im taking his claims as exaggeration at best. 

you remember when shadow was talking about friends making you weak and hint-written off by mind control? Untill shadow says " i hate you" im taking his claims as exaggeration at best. 

No, Shadow was clearly acting of his own volition in the season finale. Even in Shattered Crystal, he was still bitter and hostile towards Sonic and the gang after he was freed from Lyric's control.

Again, wanting to kill someone isn't a sign of respect. It's hatred. Extremely petty hatred, at that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering that didn't even make it into the final game (in English at least), I think you should probably take that with a grain of salt. You can think of Rise of Lyric as the prequel to the cartoon if you want, but considering that there was barely any connection between the two projects, I think that when discussing character portrayals you should think of the two as separate entities (especially since some characters are almost completely different between the two).

Also, what Forte said.

Considering that didn't even make it into the final game (in English at least), I think you should probably take that with a grain of salt. You can think of Rise of Lyric as the prequel to the cartoon if you want, but considering that there was barely any connection between the two projects, I think that when discussing character portrayals you should think of the two as separate entities (especially since some characters are almost completely different between the two).

Also, what Forte said.

i think of them as oneme very inconsistent thing.

No, Shadow was clearly acting of his own volition in the season finale. Even in Shattered Crystal, he was still bitter and hostile towards Sonic and the gang after he was freed from Lyric's control.

Again, wanting to kill someone isn't a sign of respect. It's hatred. Extremely petty hatred, at that.

at the end of  shattered crystal he helps them and leaves. I dunno , he's willing to deal with em.

Also, ok i dont think anything shadow said was serious that whole fight. The only reason shadow was there is because he felt sorry for eggman. His words. i wouldn't really be surprised he played it up trying to help eggman out. When it wasnt fun anymore, or if it ever was he got pissed and left making a note they would fight again on his terms. 

Which *is putting way to much faith in these writters* would make an interesting plotpoint in the future involving shadow liking to help people. And the bad guy thing is a front he puts on. Eventually getting exposed and being embarassed. *putting way to much faith into the writters*

Edited by Shadowlax

I think Shadow currently works in a similar way to Early Vegeta in DBZ, in that for the longest while, he's hated the main character (Goku/Sonic) and is very clearly willing to attempt to kill them of their own free will due to a petty wishes (Vegeta's "destiny" of being the Prince of all Sayians, and thinking he alone should be the one to attain Super Sayian). while Shadow really doesn't have any clear backstory or motivation outside of "Oh, I'm a loner, and Sonic isn't, guess I'll prove I'm better alone".

Both characters are willing to throw aside their stupid arguments when the time and situation comes that really needs it, with Lyric being the big bad of Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal. The difference is Vegeta later seemed to at least gain a tolerance and respect for Goku, while Shadow just seems to not have any development whatsoever. It's why I didn't like the finale episode much to be honest. While better than Metal Sonic's episode, it was still random, under-developed, and in general, just totally flanderized Shadow into a jerk with no sympathic backstory whatsoever.

I can agree that Boom Shadow is very underdeveloped in the show which is why I hope Season 2 can possibly provide some amount of context or backstory as to what's Shadow's deal in the Boom-iverse.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sure in Season 2 it will be much more developed including with Shadow. From watching a few of the first episodes, I've noticed HUGE progress in the show from the first episode and last. Because of this, I'm   very confident Season 2 will be great. They're also very open to what the fans want, so I'm also sure Shadow will appear more and be a much more developed character.

On a side note, I just recently started to think about Fusion Fall, which if you guys know about it it's a very fun Cartonnetwork online game that has every single CN hero and villain in it. The game isn't online anymore sadly as it shut down, but if CN brought it back would you guys like to see Sonic in it? Obviously they need permission but I think it'd be pretty fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

On a side note, I just recently started to think about Fusion Fall, which if you guys know about it it's a very fun Cartonnetwork online game that has every single CN hero and villain in it. The game isn't online anymore sadly as it shut down, but if CN brought it back would you guys like to see Sonic in it? Obviously they need permission but I think it'd be pretty fun.

That would imply Cartoon Network cares about Sonic Boom, they rarely advertise or promote the show outside of that 2 week marathon in the summer. So I really, REALLY hope that CN actually gives Boom some credit and promote that show more instead of shoving Go in everyone's faces. 

• Thumbs Up 3

That would imply Cartoon Network cares about Sonic Boom, they rarely advertise or promote the show outside of that 2 week marathon in the summer. So I really, REALLY hope that CN actually gives Boom some credit and promote that show more instead of shoving Go in everyone's faces.

I'm sure you know how much I agree with this. Boom has proven its worth, having gained enough popularity in the US for SEGA to take notice and market more merchandise despite its bad timeslot.

CN needs to give it more attention and more advertising, if only because shows this popular bring in the viewers.

• Thumbs Up 6

CN doesn't give two shits about Sonic Boom because it's not one of their licensed cartoons that they make a profit from like Regular Show or Steven Universe. Sonic Boom toys don't profit CN. Sonic Boom games don't profit CN and Sonic Boom comics don't profit CN. They just don't care. The plethora of Sonic Boom episode on youtube going unprotested by CN is proof of that alone.

• Thumbs Up 8

CN doesn't give two shits about Sonic Boom because it's not one of their licensed cartoons that they make a profit from like Regular Show or Steven Universe. Sonic Boom toys don't profit CN. Sonic Boom games don't profit CN and Sonic Boom comics don't profit CN. They just don't care. The plethora of Sonic Boom episode on youtube going unprotested by CN is proof of that alone.

While that is very true, CN in general doesnt care about most of their cartoons. There were so many cartoons I used to love watching when I was little that didn't last long at all. The Secret Saturdays, Juniper Lee and even Generator Rex. Cartoons like those only lasted a season or two if you were really lucky. I remember being very pissed when I was little because The Secret Saturdays ended on season one after a huge cliffhanger. But CN doesnt give a shit about those shows. Thing is, they did appear in FusionFall. While I doubt CN will go out of their way and bother getting premission to use Sonic, FusionFall is closed. However, a group of fans is remaking the game as FusionFall Legacy. Perhaps one of them is a Sonic fan and would like to add Sonic in?

I never liked Fusionfall, it was just clunky and the 3D representations of the Ed Edd n' Eddy characters really bothered me.

I don't really know how stuff with shows like this work. Could SEGA threaten to move the show to a more respectful network if CN continues as it is currently, and if so, would thst work?

While that is very true, CN in general doesnt care about most of their cartoons. There were so many cartoons I used to love watching when I was little that didn't last long at all. The Secret Saturdays, Juniper Lee and even Generator Rex. Cartoons like those only lasted a season or two if you were really lucky. I remember being very pissed when I was little because The Secret Saturdays ended on season one after a huge cliffhanger. But CN doesnt give a shit about those shows. Thing is, they did appear in FusionFall. While I doubt CN will go out of their way and bother getting premission to use Sonic, FusionFall is closed. However, a group of fans is remaking the game as FusionFall Legacy. Perhaps one of them is a Sonic fan and would like to add Sonic in?

All bombs. Kids didn't care for them and my Wal-Mart had Generator Rex toys collecting cobwebs on the shelves. It's a different case. 

Sonic Boom falls under the same category as those Lego shows. Yes, they are on the network, but CN doesn't own the rights to them so they don't put any advertising into them since they make them zero money outside of ratings.

• Thumbs Up 4

All bombs. Kids didn't care for them and my Wal-Mart had Generator Rex toys collecting cobwebs on the shelves. It's a different case. 
Sonic Boom falls under the same category as those Lego shows. Yes, they are on the network, but CN doesn't own the rights to them so they don't put any advertising into them since they make them zero money outside of ratings.

Good point. Still, I hope that when Season 2 comes along they'll pay more attention to Boom. I'd love it if it could be aired at a later time, although it doesn't really matter since everyone watches it on YouTube anyway. I just want to see like some more commercials at least.

I never liked Fusionfall, it was just clunky and the 3D representations of the Ed Edd n' Eddy characters really bothered me.

I don't really know how stuff with shows like this work. Could SEGA threaten to move the show to a more respectful network if CN continues as it is currently, and if so, would thst work?

I liked how the fusion fall characters look. They animed everyone up