Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

Actually on that note I had a pretty important thought after I logged off yesterday.

Ok so remember how in all of Knuckles' modern roles he just sounds like Dan Green 2.0? And remember how in the Sonic Boom trailer when he says "this is paradise" he actually sounds really cool and emotive and nothing like Dan Green's XDD FUNNY DUM Knuckles?

Same Voice Actors

Motherfuckin VOICE DIRECTION.

I'm calling this now, without Sonic Team's mandates, and with an experienced western team, the voice acting direction and quality is going to be a lot better than what we're currently used to too. Some people also thought that the cartoon's Tails didn't sound like Higgins, but it's Higgins! All the VAs are returning, and so far, even the ones we were originally a bit ??? on, sound great!

If I'm right, I'm confident that with the new voice direction and badass Amy, you're all going to see how much of a VA champ Cindy Robinson really is. (skip to 0:46 - spoiler: she's the rabbit, spoiler 2: she's a fucking amazing VA))

The difference in the voice direction really stood out to me as well. Roger normally seems a bit off for me as Sonic, but sounded a lot better in both the game's trailer and the cartoon's teaser.

I'm just glad that Sonic Boom isn't replacing the original franchise. Because if they were to do that, I could see it ending up like another popular franchise that had a full on reboot with a more westernized look. Case in point (which probably already mentioned), :

Devil may Cry

DmC-Devil-May-Cry-300x224.jpg

iXEp1Da1tNbdD.png

Even though the changes here may be less offensive here with Sonic and the reboot for DmC was done was for all the wrong reasons (seriously, Dante smoking? WTF?), nonetheless I could see the franchise having similar reactions even if the Sonic Boom is considered decent like DmC and have good reception from reviewers (even though I think they were bribed): http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dmc-devil-may-cry 

Ironically, DmC tanked and sold worse than the games pre-reboot and again, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Boom meets a similar fate in the sales department as well as to fail to appeal globally. Of course, this also means that western aesthetic =/= western appeal. Not to mention Sonic Boom being exclusive just for one console doesn't help matters much and that the fanbase is much more disjointed/divided. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if like DmC that there will be hidden/DLC alternate costumes of Modern/Main Series Sonic and friends in Sonic Boom out of desperation if sales flop and make the redesigns rather pointless in the long run. 

Was DmC's reputation completely and utterly in the crapper, however?

Or did it seek to appeal to a very young demographic who likely don't remember the older titles?

If Boom were to overtake the main games, it would be primarily because other than to his fanbase, Sonic means little more than a punchline. SEGA wants Sonic to be as big as Hello Kitty, and going the current direction with him isn't working. Re-inventing the franchise could bring in a fair share of new blood to replace any outgoing fans and bring them one step closer to achieving their goal.

There probably will be alternate costumes in the game simply because that's fairly standard in a lot of titles I've seen that involved redesigns. Such as in Klonoa Wii; they gave you the option to try several of Klonoa's outfits throughout the years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah... honestly, Travis Willingham did a good job there. He sounded so deep I really, REALLY thought it was Kirk Thornton. And my wife, who's pretty good and picking out voices (I could not tell Silver was voiced by Quinton Flynn, her favorite voice actor, but she could easily pick it out; I STILL can't tell he sounds like Quinton Flynn), but even she thought that Travis Willingham sounded like Kirk Thornton in that line.

And Sonic himself... he kinda resembled Dan Green's Knuckles to me, which was really starting to confuse the hell out of me. Ugh.

Not to get off-topic but, QUINTION FLYNN VOICES SILVER? I had no idea about this.

I hope Cindy Robinson steps it up for her role if she's still Amy. I personally want less Minnie Mouse and more Lisa Ortiz. (Ortiz is still my favorite Amy.)

Pretty sure its confirmed ALL the original actors are returning. Well, all of the "original" actors in the sense that its all of the current actors voicing, rather than giving them new English VA's like Sonic X did.

Not to get off-topic but, QUINTION FLYNN VOICES SILVER? I had no idea about this.

Ever since the most recent actor change, yeah. Silver hasn't APPEARED much recently, but Quinton Flynn is the current voice actor of Silver. I feel the same way as you; I could not tell at all that it was Quinton Flynn. He sounded just like his old voice.

tumblr_n0ltg4pUBw1rav7y9o1_500.png

and now it's completely fixed

Now why couldn't the folks at Red Button could do that and not be so drastic with Knuckles I'll never know.

Even Sonic shows more athleticism. Bandages/sports tape gone, didn't really care much about them being around, and I like the red bandana over the brown one.

Me really likey.

Because making his torso smaller would make the "I'm strong" aspect come out less. Which is bad because as we know, younger audiences obviously couldn't equate strength with something small.

Though in all honesty his much deeper voice would sound a bit weird coming from that tiny body at this point.

Did anyone as a kid in the 90s or 00s not know that Knuckles was the strong one? Do we have to beat children over the head with design cliches that make an appealing character design less so?

• Thumbs Up 5

Did anyone as a kid in the 90s or 00s not know that Knuckles was the strong one? Do we have to beat children over the head with design cliches that make an appealing character design less so?

There used to be TV adverts here in the UK which more or less told you that Knuckles was a 'meat heat.'

I do like the idea of him being a bit bulkier though, I always found it a bit silly he was so monumentally strong without actually being any bigger than Sonic.

I like Sonictrainer's rendition of him a lot though - more than the current SEGASonic one, even.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think SegaSonic's Knux build, though, was more to accomodate the fact that he could glide than the fact he could toss boulders. Which of these is more important in a platformer?

In fact, originally I don't even think Knux was emphasized as strong so much as being the best in melee (to such an extent that for a time, he was practically the only case in which straight up punching things was more effective), and being dumbstrong is just something everyone tacked on later when they started missing the point.

Yeah, looking at that one, it definitely has a better body size than the knuckles we got in the boom art though I feel as though without the sports tape on the others they feel a bit, empty.

I do think it was a smart idea to change his physique at least a little, since Knuckles' standard design would probably have looked completely stupid trying to reach over his husky head to do that ceiling climb. Boom Knuckles' longer arms should make regular wall-climbing and punch attacks look a lot more natural, too.

I've actually gotten pretty attached to Bulkles, at least in the official renders. He's definitely got the worst in-game model of the four, though; it sucks the awkward charm right out of him. Maybe if he smiled a little, and put less product in his dreads?

In fact, originally I don't even think Knux was emphasized as strong so much as being the best in melee (to such an extent that for a time, he was practically the only case in which straight up punching things was more effective), and being dumbstrong is just something everyone tacked on later when they started missing the point.

He punched through walls, pushed over boulders, and knocked out Super Sonic. I am pretty sure that "strong" was meant to be a thing.

I also feel people are downplaying the fact that Knuckles' upper body was already noticeably bigger than the standard body set anyway. =/

• Thumbs Up 5

Let's also adjust Sonic's legs to be more muscular to emphasize that he's a fast runner while we're at it.

• Thumbs Up 8

Knuckles' big spiked gloves was all that was needed to show his strength and that he packed a heavy punch. He didn't need a crappy over-inflated steroid build to show it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Y'know I bet if he had started out like this no one would care.

And if they then changed him to a normal dude with crazy big fists people would think it was dumb.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's not an absolutely necessary change, but at the same time I like the idea. I just think they went overboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry if this is off topic, but Discoid, were did you found that art for your avatar and signature, their really cute.