Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog 3: 20th anniversary

TheOcelot

Sonic 3 being my favorite of the Classic games (That is, if Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are counted separately), I really do hope SEGA does something this year to acknowledge S3's 20th anniversary, be it Sonic 4 Episode 3 which plays homage to Sonic 3, (Like how S4Ep2 played homage to Sonic 2) or a refined port, or something completely new that'll catch us by surprise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be honest, I prefer S3&K (shocking, I'm sure) to Sonic 3. Feels a bit off in some places by itself. Like the miniboss theme, I mean it's a good track, but I prefer the S&K version. Same thing applies to Knuckles' theme, sounds a bit too "RAPPIN' IN MAH GHETTO YO BRO"  for me (which, while fitting his later SA theme, isn't as good as the tribal one in S&K IMO).

But I prefer the title and invincibilty themes in 3 to the ones in S&K, so there's that. Also, not sure how to feel with Sonic's chunkier sprite. I mean it's more expressive, but... egh, doesn't have that sleekness that his 1-CD one has.

This was the first Sonic title I played and I am glad I did. The Sega Genesis was also the first console I owned. Man all I can say is memories. I am became such a Sega fan when I realized that they also made games like Streets Of Rage and Gunstar heroes etc. Good times back in the late 90's for me. Sonic 3 is my fav. (and knuckles too)

• Thumbs Up 1

I probably prefer Sonic 3 over its brother, Sonic & Knuckles. I love both games, especially when combined, but Sonic 3 provides a more fun experience for me than S&K can alone. My favorite Sonic Soundtrack is probably S3&K, and the Sonic 3 half has the most enjoyable tracks of the game, in my opinion. Even though this game is obviously one half of a full product, I still think that the game's end with Big Arms satisfies me enough. One of my favorite things about this game compared to other Sonic games prior, something newly introduced into the series with this game, was the implementing of a save system. This helps tremendously, as I don't have to restart the game every time I shut off my console, and I don't have to cheat to get to a certain level anymore. Regarding the special stages, I may not like Blue sphere very much compared to other special stages in previous Sonic games, but it does its job well, and it stands out well compared to the previous special stages of the Sonic Series. One slight problem I have, which is extremely nitpicky, regards the monitors, as I don't like their redesign in this game compared to previous games. Overall, the game is great, and a great addition towards the Sonic Library.smile.png

I'll be honest, I prefer S3&K (shocking, I'm sure) to Sonic 3. Feels a bit off in some places by itself. Like the miniboss theme, I mean it's a good track, but I prefer the S&K version. Same thing applies to Knuckles' theme, sounds a bit too "RAPPIN' IN MAH GHETTO YO BRO"  for me (which, while fitting his later SA theme, isn't as good as the tribal one in S&K IMO).

Knuckle's theme is only a standard drum beat...what about that screams rap, exactly? And the drum beat is just the one used from the mini boss theme, which I don't feel sounds too much like something from rap either.

Oh yeah, it doesn't sound like rap now that you mention it. Herp na durp :U

Stll feels a bit "empty" compared to S&K's version though.

Sonic 3 is my most favorite Sonic game of all time for me! :) I like the S3K as well but Sonic 3 was the one I grew up playing the most as little kid in the 90s than. :) I not really into Sonic 2 because I could not ever get past Chemical Plant Act 2 it was hard. :( I liked that Tails could fly! :) It was really cool to fly! :D I liked the nice new shields. :) I liked the Knuckles theme and mini boss theme. :D The only bad thing about Sonic 3 is the so called big arm at end of Launch Base Act 2 because if you lose you have to wait several minutes for the cutscene to go by to try again. :( Even cheating will still be hard to beat it. Last year in February 2013 I finally became Super Sonic without cheating for the first time ever! :o I was shocked that I got all the 7 chaos emeralds. It is great feeling becoming Super Sonic on your very own. :D I liked the game a lot. Unfortunately I could never get past that barrel! Anyway it is my coolest Sonic game that I protect for the Genesis ever than! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Playing Sonic 3 standalone is my favorite way to play the game. Sonic and Knuckles stand alone's levels aren't fun to me in the slightest, and Sonic 3 & K just drags for me.

Sonic 3 standalone isn't really one of my favorite Sonic games, I've gotten more game overs than I can count, and some of the enemy placement kind of irks me. Still, Hydro City is my favorite Water level in the series, and it still holds a special place in my heart for introducing one of my favorite characters, Knuckles the Echidna, and Elemental Shields.

If there's one thing this game did right (or at least the complete version), it was having every character unlocked from the start. You could play the game however you want with just one character and be completely satisfied. None of that last story bullshit was even thought of yet, every character had their own story and had the goal of getting to the goal ring on foot, albeit with unique abilities from each other. You still feel like you're playing a Sonic game, but you've got the perfect touch of added spice and variety without going overboard.

Remind me, why aren't Sonic games structured like this anymore?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 3 alone to me felt kinda rush. Not as many zones as Sonic 2 (Yeah they felt bigger but Sonic 2 still has more zones), didn't really feel as much of an improvement as Sonic 2 was to Sonic 1, and last but not least this game is glitchy. I can't tell you how many times where after I beaten the hydrocity act 2 boss and after I freed the animals the game would just lock up on me. But combined with Sonic and knuckles, OH MAN. This game went from ok to just AMAZING. Sonic 3 and knuckles is without a doubt my favorite Sonic game. The amount of zones, the special stages, the bonus stages, the Super emeralds, Hyper sonic, the ability to play Knuckles in Sonic 3 stages and open secret paths that you couldn't explore previously, the music man pretty much everything about this game is perfect and blew Sonic 2 out of the water. This is one of Sega's biggest achievements and it's sad that no Sonic game has come close to being as good as S3&K. But I will say I do prefer Knuckles theme and the minor boss in Sonic 3 more than the one in S3&K.

Sonic 3 alone to me felt kinda rush. Not as many zones as Sonic 2 (Yeah they felt bigger but Sonic 2 still has more zones), didn't really feel as much of an improvement as Sonic 2 was to Sonic 1, and last but not least this game is glitchy. I can't tell you how many times where after I beaten the hydrocity act 2 boss and after I freed the animals the game would just lock up on me. But combined with Sonic and knuckles, OH MAN. This game went from ok to just AMAZING. Sonic 3 and knuckles is without a doubt my favorite Sonic game. The amount of zones, the special stages, the bonus stages, the Super emeralds, Hyper sonic, the ability to play Knuckles in Sonic 3 stages and open secret paths that you couldn't explore previously, the music man pretty much everything about this game is perfect and blew Sonic 2 out of the water. This is one of Sega's biggest achievements and it's sad that no Sonic game has come close to being as good as S3&K. But I will say I do prefer Knuckles theme and the minor boss in Sonic 3 more than the one in S3&K.

Rushed is the wrong word to use here...the game not having as many zones is because they couldn't put the whole game of Sonic 3&Knuckles on ONE cartridge without the introduction of LOCK-ON TECHNOLOGY. I mean its pretty obvious that they wanted to, because the knuckles level design/routes are still in the regular game.

Sonic 3 having more glitches, is more from the game running a lot faster than even the regular BLAST PROCESSING power of the Genisis/Mega Drive could handle, hell of a lot faster than Sonic 2 speeds could go. That causes the game to get screwed up more.

While I really didn't play this until recent years (around the Generations was coming out), I love what Classic Sonic Team did with this game :).

The amazing 2d visuals, incredible soundtrack that still stands as the best in the series (with both games combined; you gotta love dat Lava Reef/Sky Sanctuary/Doomsday theme man biggrin.png), the tight controls and open level design, smartly put together story with everything happening during gameplay, and introducing the extra playable characters that add, not detract from gameplay.

It just is an amazing accomplishment for the Sonic series and it still is today the best game in the entire Sonic series :). I would love for elements from this classic bleed their way into other Sonics (which looks like to finally happen with more recent games like Colors, Generations, Lost World and Boom taking elements from this classic) :).

One of the best games on the Mega Drive, with a perfect combination of everything. Happy birthday (on February 24th in Europe), Sonic 3!

Wow! I cannot believe it's been 20 years already. I remember getting this game from my birthday back then, makes me feel old! I love to pick this game up from time to time but I have to admit I enjoy it a lot more as S3&K. Feels more complete to me - I agree it does feel a little rushed.

Let's see; I was given a Genesis/Mega Drive in 1993 with Sonic Spinball packed in, so that's the first Sonic game I ever played. From there I started periodically renting Sonic 1 and 2 and officially fell in love with Sonic as a character. After having both Sonic 1 and 2 purchased for me, I later received Sonic 3 not too long after it was released. My first experience with Sonic 3 was a very fun and challenging one. I remember being blown away by how the graphics had been improved and also the drastic difference in the music compared to Sonic 1 and 2. Knuckles was an enigma to me, he seemed so mysterious and mischievous, which made the game all the more interesting. 

Reading over the features that Sonic 3 brought renewed my interest in it. For instance, I never thought about the fact that all of the zones, except Marble Garden contain water to relay the fact that Floating Island has sunken into the sea (Thanks BenderAmy! happy.png). As many times as I have played Sonic 3 and S3&K, I still have yet to play it properly. What I mean, is that I still have yet to take full advantage of the Insta-Shield feature to keep from getting hit, and dying. There still seems to be plenty of new ways to play that I still haven't discovered, as well. I want to replay it and finally fully master the game, as I have done the other Sonic games. smile.png

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD) I fully expect a remaster of S3&K from Taxman and Stealth later this year, in fact if you've played and beaten the Sonic 2 remaster, you already know that it's practically been confirmed. Let's hope they add some really neat extras like they've done with Sonic 1, 2 and SCD. With that said, I do like S3&K better than playing Sonic 3 by itself, but I do feel like Sonic 3 works quite well as a stand alone game, regardless of the "cliffhanger" ending. I eagerly await the S3&K remaster, but until then:

HAPPY 20 YEARS SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3! 

sonic3_ad.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I fondly remember making the 15th anniversary topic for this game five years ago.  I would have posted this sort of topic sooner but people were still watching Seattle handing Denver's ass to them.  So instead I was playing the Sonic 3C hack on an emulator and made a gif of Knuckles wearing a Walter Payton jersey.

But either way, I first played Sonic 3 back in 1999 when I got the Sonic and Knuckles collection at the nearest Best Buy in our region of Lake County, IN.  Fastforward ten years, I got the cart on Christmas day and essentially beat Sonic's solo story by New Year's.

In all regards, happy 20th Sonic 3

SSS_SONICN_.png

and don't forget that MJ did the music in the 4-6th zones, the credits, the miniboss theme, Knuckles theme, and the competition menu, despite what Roger Hector would want you to beleive.

• 1 year later...

It is interesting to revisit this topic, there is a large scale effort going on about the Sonic 3 & Knuckles version of the Sonic Remaster series that someone who knows more about it can add to this thread.  ^__^

In some senses where Sonic 3 was the final traditional Sonic game the anniversary celebration is growing with time.  I do remember in the distant past some thoughts that Sonic 3 could even receive a 3D remake which the Sky Sanctuary zones in Generations suggest that with improved physics and, perhaps the idea of remaking the original levels strictly ... and also making a few additional levels in the original styles as well as possibly a few new zones to explore: there to be some areas that weren't visited in the original game!

As each year passes we can really notice how less often is more; there are a lot of elements present in this game that have yet to be recreated in later higher technology level games whether Sonic or otherwise.  When everything had to be 2D or very restrictively 3D, everything that was done to make the game experience intuitive and both relaxing and gripping had enough time to be completed , even in potentially rushed games such as this. 

Here is an inspiring and mind bending Knuckles playthrough by theyogwog (tool assisted but with the purpose of collecting rings so most areas of the zones feature and are played through with a unique style that shows how special knuckles' simple but expansive move set really is!)

... Also, has there ever been discussion about the similarities between the Bridge zone music and the Sonic & Knuckles theme music?  :wacko::o^_^

I think there must have been and I have just missed it, but i just realized it now and it is lovely to think there is a significant tribute to this wonderful music!!  Sonic 1 SMS is also based on an island to traverse after all!

an update from big smile who has done a lot of work regarding the next possible release of Sonic 3

^_^

http://powerupgaming...-interview-with

^ Interesting interview with Stealth. It covers:
-The original concept for Hidden Palace Zone (accessing the stage after collecting 7 emeralds)
-The pitching process
-Yuji Naka's involvement in approvals
-A discussion of features for Sonic 3 Remastered if it got approved (they have ideas, but are keeping them a surprise).
-Stealth mentions that Sonic 4 III was cancelled due to quality reasons, but I'm not sure if that is his own opinion or an insider bit of information he learned while working with Sega. If it's the latter, then its good that Sega had the sense to stop the series instead of just milking it.

An interview with Taxman will be coming soon.

• 3 months later...

Here is a link to retro with a post from Stealth that mentions a bit about the Sonic 3 project; it does not seem that anything will happen yet, but it is good to have some up to date information.  :)

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=33532&view=findpost&p=830787

It would be a different situation if Sonic 3 Complete did not exist which one would suspect contains more bug fixes and adjustments than the "Remastered" project would necessarily have been able to include, whether it is the earlier sprite sets, adjusted movesets, and changes in zone order, although, hopefully when a new Sonic 3 project is released, it may be more likely to have some of those on account of already having been implemented in Sonic 3 Complete. :D:)

Honestly with Sonic 1, 2, and CD having been created in this form so smoothly and with unique new aspects to them, it seems like the more time passes before Sonic 3K is worked on and completed, then it will be to its fullest potential as well! 

I don't think the existence of Sonic 3 remastered has any bearing on what a remake would do. One is completely fan-controlled, the other would have SEGA having input on it. They wouldn't let an official remake outright change zone orders or change details that weren't even in Sonic 3/the classic set?

I don't think the existence of Sonic 3 remastered has any bearing on what a remake would do. One is completely fan-controlled, the other would have SEGA having input on it. They wouldn't let an official remake outright change zone orders or change details that weren't even in Sonic 3/the classic set?

:)  i am saying more that it is nice that Sonic 3 Complete already exists while the deliberation about whether an official one will happen seems to require patience.

Wow, it's been over 20 years since this game came out.

It's been 10 years since I first played it and my skills haven't improved a bit! Still haven't made it past Carnival Night. (No, it isn't the barrel.)

I first played this game through Mega Collection about 4 years ago and I think i was able to make to Marble Garden before I unlocked S3&K. It's still one of my favorite Sonic games in the Classic series, mainly for the save feature so I wouldn't have to play through the game in one sitting, making it much easier. However, it has my least favorite special stages because they are incredibly difficult, I haven't  beaten them once. 

• Thumbs Up 2