Awoo.

If you could change anything in the Sonic Universe right now, what would you change?

Kagura_Nitrogat

To be honest, Sonic's personality did sort of change once season 3 rolled around. He at least seemed to interact with everyone else a lot more, and wasn't constantly sleeping half the episode. It was definitely a step up from the previous seasons.

'Cept by then, Tails had Cosmo and was off doing stuff with her, so Sonic and Tails still didn't get the good interaction I was hoping for :\

'Cept by then, Tails had Cosmo and was off doing stuff with her, so Sonic and Tails still didn't get the good interaction I was hoping for :\

Seconded.

I kind of miss that to be honest, the only cartoon that had in spades was AoSTH, and that was a loooong time ago.

I prefer sonic to be snappy. He needs to be more of a daredevil. I'd say his Unleashed 'tude was out of character.

A real attitude would be nice, as that was kinda what he was supposed to have from the start.

BTW I don't know many boyscouts who would bail prison or jump a helicopter even if they could.

I prefer sonic to be snappy. He needs to be more of a daredevil. I'd say his Unleashed 'tude was out of character.

I don't know how much more "daredevil" you can get that riding a firecracker into the sky then skydiving without a parachute through rings of floating spike covered iron balls.

Edited by Phos

I don't see how Tails could have taken Chip's place. He wasn't Light Gaia, which was all the purpose storywise that Chip had. Chip was also Omochao/Navi inside a level. I agree that them going to an adventure together and being partners through the game was taking Tails' place as sidekick though, but not anything else. And how could the best friends things could work without Chip being there and Tails as well? It wouldn't work as well. I don't mind Chip getting this game for him, because it is only one after all. Tails will have other opportunities and atleast he appeared, something Knuckles didn't. :(

Edited by redmenace

I don't see how Tails could have taken Chip's place. He wasn't Light Gaia, which was all the purpose storywise that Chip had. Chip was also Omochao/Navi inside a level. I agree that them going to an adventure together and being partners through the game was taking Tails' place as sidekick though, but not anything else. And how could the best friends things could work without Chip being there and Tails as well? It wouldn't work as well. I don't mind Chip getting this game for him, because it is only one after all. Tails will have other opportunities and atleast he appeared, something Knuckles didn't. :(

Well, the problem isn't Chip taking Tails' place, but rather the fact that Chip gets so much screentime as both a comic relief and a balance to Dark Gaia, a Generic Monster of the Week. Sonic Unleashed seems to revolve around Chip more than anything, even Sonic himself.

Edited by Evile Cruelty

How to: Replace Chip with Tails

1. Slap the writer upside the head for making up something as stupid as Dark Gaia

2. Fire him for making Light Gaia

3. Replace Chip with Tails

1. Slap the writer upside the head for making up something as stupid as Dark Gaia

Simple, yet very effective.

Light Gaia and Dark Gaia were the only things in Unleashed's plot I didn't like (they were big parts of it, but that game won me over for characterisation more than anything as far as plot is concerned) and Tails could have replaced Chip easily without it.

Frankly, I thought Chip was actually a great and well developed character who complemented Sonic well but was wasted on a bad scenario. If he was introduced and used in a way that wasn't so farfetched and unnecessary, it would have been fine. But he's already resolved and I hope Shadow of all characters taught Sonic Team not to bring back characters that don't need to be used again.

Edited by SuperStingray

Hmm, I guess another thing I would change is Cream & Vanilla...what purpose do they serve at this minute apart from bein the new characters in Sonic Advanced 2, I mean from what I an tell neither of them can do anything usefull...so why are they there?

I would either do something to them to make their characters more unique, or cut them out all together

Hmm, I guess another thing I would change is Cream & Vanilla...what purpose do they serve at this minute apart from bein the new characters in Sonic Advanced 2, I mean from what I an tell neither of them can do anything usefull...so why are they there?

I would either do something to them to make their characters more unique, or cut them out all together

Well, Cream hasn't had any kind of role in the games for a while now, I think the last time she was even playable in a main series game was Sonic Heroes, she was then downgraded to a side character in Shadow, didn't appear at all in 06 or Unleashed etc.

Vanilla...I don't even REMEMBER what happened with her to be honest XD

Exactly! ^This!

This is why arguments about "Tails can't do light gaia stuff, so Tails couldn't replace chip" arguments are redundant, because light/dark gaia were uneeded in the first place. Besides that Tails could've and should've had that role.

I guess thats another thing I'd change in the Sonic universe, giving deserving characters more screen time, but also quality screen time, not lame half-assed plots. I'm in no way saying "make sonic games Sonic only, with a few other characters" but do it tastefully. Having a large cast for a game that requires such is fine, having 5 games that all solely focus on Shadow and drag in other one-shot characters isn't. I'd like to see all the Sonic cast throughout a few games; rotate the roster of characters, write in GOOD stories that involve plausible reasons for certain characters to have roles...thats what the series needs.

What are you people on? If there was no Light/Dark Gaia, the plot of the game wouldn't exist. The balance between light and dark was one of the things that ST did right with the story. The plot is good and holds itself well. Tails couldn't substitute anything of it. Sure he could have had a bigger role as sidekick, but that doesn't have anything to do with the plot itself.

Tails has been a crap sidekick since Sonic Heroes because they don't know what to do with him anymore besides riding the Tornado and being your usual kid genious. I wouldn't say it's Chip's fault at all, it's the stagnation of the character. If he had never proved himself so well in SA2, we'd still had the same old Tails looking up to Sonic, yet he'd actually be important. I'm glad they got rid of the walker though, that might be a plus in the future. A character shouldn't be resolved if he's supposed to stick around with the usual cast. Look at Shadow. He has no place in the franchise anymore, which is a pity, because I sincerely like him.

What are you people on? If there was no Light/Dark Gaia, the plot of the game wouldn't exist. The balance between light and dark was one of the things that ST did right with the story. The plot is good and holds itself well. Tails couldn't substitute anything of it. Sure he could have had a bigger role as sidekick, but that doesn't have anything to do with the plot itself.

Easily remedied by simply tweaking the plot. Either remove the Dark/Light Gaia thing completely, or use it without Light Gaia being an annoyingly redundant sidekick/best buddy character.

Tails has been a crap sidekick since Sonic Heroes because they don't know what to do with him anymore besides riding the Tornado and being your usual kid genious. I wouldn't say it's Chip's fault at all, it's the stagnation of the character. If he had never proved himself so well in SA2, we'd still had the same old Tails looking up to Sonic, yet he'd actually be important. I'm glad they got rid of the walker though, that might be a plus in the future. A character shouldn't be resolved if he's supposed to stick around with the usual cast. Look at Shadow. He has no place in the franchise anymore, which is a pity, because I sincerely like him.

While that may be the case with Shadow, Tails does have a place... and that place is where Chip was. He's only redundant now because of characters like Chip doing what Tails is best for :\ The character wouldn't BE stagnating if they actually used him ^^;

Easily remedied by simply tweaking the plot. Either remove the Dark/Light Gaia thing completely, or use it without Light Gaia being an annoyingly redundant sidekick/best buddy character.

While that may be the case with Shadow, Tails does have a place... and that place is where Chip was. He's only redundant now because of characters like Chip doing what Tails is best for :\ The character wouldn't BE stagnating if they actually used him ^^;

^This, once again right on the mark Flyboy.

I did like Chip as I said before, but I would have MUCH rather had Tails in his role since he has a long established role in this series, almost as big as Sonic himself's place, or at least it used to be and IMO still should be.

I'd rather have him developed as a character over several games than a bunch of one shots such as Chip getting the focus each game.

I did notice a few patterns involving characters:

Shadow and Rouge never seem to be in a game without the other somewhere. (Barring Black Knight, as it isn't really Shadow.)

Omega can only appear if Shadow and Rouge do. And only when there's an abundance of Eggman Robots to erradicate.

---

I WOULD like to say "Knuckles only appears when the Green Shiny Rock is in danger/Angel Island is involved somehow", but that doesn't alaways seem to be the case.... *Coughriderscoughshadowcoughheroescough06cough*

___

Plot patterns:

There will be aliens. *coughshadowcoughchroniclescoughzerogravitycough*

If not aliens, then some sort of ancient god/power. *coughadventurecough06coughrushadventurecoughrivals2coughriderscoughbattlecough*

___

Theres probably some other shit, but I'm unable to think of anything at the moment...

--

If I was head of Sega or whatever, I would only let 1 Sonic Game come out EVERY OTHER YEAR. Not 2 every single year.

(Though, I think Sega got that through thier heads right now... right now they only have 2 party games with him that won't be out until next year, with nothing having been announced for this year besides Black Knight which is already out.)

............. still can't think here.

Edited by Dashing Blue

I would change Unleased to the following;

Eggman has launched a laser that has split the world into peices to free Dark Gaia

On it's way down the laser destroys Angel Island and the Master Emerald get scatterd.

In order to save the world Sonic and Tails travel to Profeser Pickle who informs them of the Gaia Temples, with this information Sonic and Tails travel around the world to put it back together.

While at the same time Knuckles looks for peices of the of the Master Emerald acomopanied by Chip.

I would change Unleased to the following;

Eggman has launched a laser that has split the world into peices to free Dark Gaia

On it's way down the laser destroys Angel Island and the Master Emerald get scatterd.

In order to save the world Sonic and Tails travel to Profeser Pickle who informs them of the Gaia Temples, with this information Sonic and Tails travel around the world to put it back together.

While at the same time Knuckles looks for peices of the of the Master Emerald acomopanied by Chip.

PERFECT.

Kinda seems like Sonic Advance 3 then though... Meh.

I guess then the name would've stayed as "Sonic World Adventure" then. xD

EDIT:

I'd add some details into Sonic Heroes...

Why is Knuckles not at Angel Island? they never said why... (...it didn't show the Master Emerald anywhere...)

...Remind me why Metal Sonic locked up Eggman?

Speaking of which, I'd add in a bit of mystery to the Chaotix's story. all we saw was "RAWR, I'M EBIL, WE FIGHT" and "Okay, now go here"... kinda lame.

Which reminds me, Team Chaotix should've totally met up with Team Sonic. I would make sure that happened.

Also, I'd mix up the order of the levles a bit.

Plus, I'd also make sure the lines wheren't so cheesy.

May add details later.

Edited by Dashing Blue

Yeah, more or less or even better; just to get annoying fanboys to shut up call it; Sonic Adventure 3: All Around the World haha.

While I like that story outline, I don't really like the recycling of the broken Master Emerald again and again. It happened in Adventure because that was a plot point. The Master Emerald is a huge ass Chaos Emerald, and it shattered because there was a god sealed away in it. Suddenly in SA2 Knuckles can break it with a punch? There was no reason for it to break except to bring back the treasure stages. I feel like it's been played out already and it can't be used again. There's gotta be another way to involve Knuckles.

Edited by Badnikz

I suppose...but I wanted a reason for Knuxie to be there since Sonic, Tails and Knuckles seem to be the only characters people want to play as but I don't want him just being there for the sake of being there.

EDIT: On a side note; why DID Chaos come out of the Master Emerald? I can't remember the scene to well but was it becase Eggman smacked it open?

Edited by Arron

Tweaking? How? Light/Dark Gaia was supposed to work the way it does, no other way could it be done. If there was no Light Gaia and only Dark, he'd be the usual monster of the week. The dictomy of both and one cannot existing without the other is what made the story. Removing L/D Gaia, we'd only have the planet getting divided into seven pieces because, I don't know, Eggman shot a laser at it? Then what, Sonic and Tails would travel around the world to get them together again? Sounds weak to me. I had that idea for Angel Island after Sonic Adventure 2 when I was twelve.

What, being Navi or Light Gaia? The only thing Chip usurped this time was the sidekick place yet Tails was there doing what he usually does, riding the Tornado and inventing some new gadget. There's no growth for him left anymore, because he reached the top with SA2 (somewhat, I still think they could have tweaked that scene with him getting owned to raise his insiecurities again) and his character has staled in Heroes or S06. The only way for Tails to not be redundant and to bring something new, is to be downgraded again: insecurity issues, inadequacy and perhaps being a coward when confronted with stressful situations, like in SA though ultimately he'd bring his courage and save the day.

S&BK had a good excuse to add him to Sonic's sidekick, much better than Unleashed had, yet they didn't. Quite frankly, I'd be getting annoyed at that one.

Shadow is the same as Tails. He was interesting once, had a lot of potential, but then they gave him resolution and he was lost in redundant land. Knuckles and Amy are the only ones who can get whisked to a plot without a lot of problems. They both have goals. Tails needs to have a goal once again. I don't think he has one since SA2. Just like Shadow since S06.

And why is everyone against the Master Emerald getting stolen / destroyed / gone / used in some kind of plan? For all of it's flaws, it was perhaps one of the things the Metarex saga of Sonic X did right? I don't see anyone getting annoyed at Mario getting to save the princess from Bowser again, and again and again, and again, to chatch # number of pokemons in every game of that franchise, or to do the same old for Zelda. It's like complaining that Eggman was always the final enemy or that Sonic is always the hero.

Edited by redmenace

And why is everyone against the Master Emerald getting stolen / destroyed / gone / used in some kind of plan? For all of it's flaws, it was perhaps one of the things the Metarex saga of Sonic X did right? I don't see anyone getting annoyed at Mario getting to save the princess from Bowser again, and again and again, and again, to chatch # number of pokemons in every game of that franchise, or to do the same old for Zelda. It's like complaining that Eggman was always the final enemy or that Sonic is always the hero.

Because the series wasn't based around the that plot point, and it IS redundant. At least Mario has to collect a different type of Mc Guffin each time, Eggman has some new scheme, there are new Pokemon to catch, and there's more dungeons to explore. With the Master Emerald, it's always the same: "Oh noez, teh mastr emrald r brokenz againz!" and: "yay, teh mastr emrlad iz fixed!"