Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

I'd suggest the unreasonably cute Maku Tree sprout from Oracle of Ages, but she kinda doesn't have legs. I guess she could... burrow? Or bounce?

If the GBC's graphics are any indication, she seems to be taller than a person. That's actually a little terrifying.

(apparently the Deku Tree sprout was also about that size; I remembered it being smaller. It's not as cute, though)

I'd be surprised if we DIDN'T get those. Ruto and/or Mikau, Darunia, etc. As for Deku there are no notable named Deku... They'd have to create a new Deku character or bring back a Deku character and give 'em a name.

They could just use one from Majora's Mask. Calling them Deku King, Deku Princess, Deku Butler or Deku Merchant would be fine. Or they could create the butler's son and base him off of Deku Link's design. He'd probably need a name, though, be cause I don't think Deku Butler's Son would work xP  I'd go for him or the butler.

I don't think we'd need both Ruto and Mikau. I say ignore Ruto and use Mikau, since he's 1) better and 2) the fighting style would most likely be based off of Zora Link.

They could just use one from Majora's Mask. Calling them Deku King, Deku Princess, Deku Butler or Deku Merchant would be fine. Or they could create the butler's son and base him off of Deku Link's design. He'd probably need a name, though, be cause I don't think Deku Butler's Son would work xP  I'd go for him or the butler.

I don't think we'd need both Ruto and Mikau. I say ignore Ruto and use Mikau, since he's 1) better and 2) the fighting style would most likely be based off of Zora Link.

I think Zoras have been around long enough that we could have two. Just a thought, though.

I doubt it will go that far, unless that confirmation of Argorok as a character was their way of saying you can play as him.

Argorok can't be playable, he's too fucking big!  Shrinking him down would completely ruin his character!  /stupid

(although I don't know what powers they'd give a Zora character with Impa hogging all the water magic)

Zoras can harness their internal electrical currents to generate shields, vaguely similar to an electric eel's abilities.  They're also bio-luminescent in Twilight Princess, so I think electrical attacks would be a cool direction to take with them.

'Sides, I doubt Water Magic is exclusive to Impa. :P

It's just weird that they didn't go with the most obvious option and give her shadow magic or something. The water attacks look cool, but it seems a little random that Impa has them at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's just weird that they didn't go with the most obvious option and give her shadow magic or something. The water attacks look cool, but it seems a little random that Impa has them at all.

My thoughts exactly.  There must be some reasoning for their attachment to her, however.  Maybe the Water effect is simply an effect of the weapon she's using?

Agreed. Actually, that is a major annoyance for me. Impa should've used Shadow Magic. Someone else was complaining about her using a giant sword even though she's usually portrayed as a ninja, but that's not a major concern for me because she's never seen fighting with a weapon. However, her creating water swords? Yeah, THAT is something I have a problem with since she's associated with the shadows.

As for a zora character, still wouldn't be hard to create a non-magic moveset for a Zora character, since Mikau is the perfect fit. Mikau would basically work just like Zora Link, really. If they included Darunia... Megaton Hammer all the way. I could also see Darunia with a fist-fighting moveset, too (maybe he could have Megaton Hammer as one weapon, and another weapon he has is knuckles... er, not that "Knuckles" though... :P).

My thoughts exactly.  There must be some reasoning for their attachment to her, however.  Maybe the Water effect is simply an effect of the weapon she's using?

quite likely, similar to the master sword and its light motif, there is also the fact that each character has multiple movesets depending on the weapon

I would also like to point out that clones aren't an issue cause their stats can be tweaked and it has happened previously, There is also the fact that there is no issue with 2 characters having similar movesets especialy if the roster is on the larger size

fact is they said that if you have a favorite character in the series its going to be playable in the game(I swear thats what they said), which means they plan a crazy diverse and large roster, expect it to be on the bigger side

here's one of the ones I was thinking about

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2014/06/zelda-dungeon-interviews-eiji-aonuma-and-the-hyrule-warriors-team/

Ben: We know from the playable demo and the trailers that we’ve seen that there is going to be a lot of different items in Hyrule Warriors. We’ve seen the bombs and fire rod. Will we see any of the more legendary items from the Zelda mythos, like the Master Sword or Sacred arrows, or anything like that. Can we expect to see prominent items from Zelda lore in Hyrule Warriors?

Koinuma: Hyrule Warriors is a celebration of the Zelda franchise so we will definately see some of the more traditional items from the series.

Mases: Hyrule Warriors is now just a few months away and I imagine things are wrapping up with the development. Are there ideas that you’ve come up with in which you’ve run out of time and cannot finish to put them into the game. Things that you might want to do sometime in the future, perhaps in a future collaboration?

Hayachi: Zelda has a long story, its got a long history. There is certainly many many things that we could have put into the game. As I’ve mentioned before, the team is full of Zelda fans that all have ideas of what should be included. I don’t have any specific instances, but I’m sure that among the team members there are great ideas that we couldn’t bring to fruition.

Aonuma: Early on, there was actually a version that had a dungeon in it that had more traditional Zelda like puzzle solving elements to it. After looking at that piece and that stage, and realizing that it was so far away from what a Dynasty Warriors game is, they decided to eliminate that.

hyrule-warriors-e3-26

Ben: Princess Zelda herself will be playable in this game. How was that decision reached and did fans influence the decision at all?

Hayachi: One of the main basic concepts of the Dynasty Warriors series is that you have a large roster of players to play as. The same is true with Hyrule Warriors. Initially our thoughts were that Link and Zelda had to be playable characters. From there, again, Zelda has such a long history, there are so many vibrant characters in the Zelda universe that we could have chosen from. So we took ideas from the team and we listened to opinions of fans. We definitely did our research. Another thing that we thought about was is which player would be fun to play as. You probably saw on the show floor, the roster. There are many many open spaces. Those will be filled in and we’re hoping that you are looking forward to see them. I think there will be some in there that you will be surprised.

Mases: Tingle!

^Apparently that was actually a mistranslation all along. The interview translated "she acts more like a queen than a princess" as "she's a queen not a princess" or something like that.

Kinda sucks. Maybe someday.

^Apparently that was actually a mistranslation all along. The interview translated "she acts more like a queen than a princess" as "she's a queen not a princess" or something like that.

Kinda sucks. Maybe someday.

Who confirmed the mistranslation?

Supposedly, according to the Hyrule Historia something "happened" that prevented from Zelda ever taking the title of Queen. I never heard of this myself, but a guy I follow on deviantART was complaining about this (UndyingNephalim). Dunno if any of you have heard of Hyrule: Total War, but he's the one who did that game.

I didn't really mind the whole Queen thing anyway, but its interesting to note that Zelda isn't a queen after all. Still, I don't mind too much, Zelda looks badass either way.

Supposedly, according to the Hyrule Historia something "happened" that prevented from Zelda ever taking the title of Queen. I never heard of this myself, but a guy I follow on deviantART was complaining about this (UndyingNephalim). Dunno if any of you have heard of Hyrule: Total War, but he's the one who did that game.

I didn't really mind the whole Queen thing anyway, but its interesting to note that Zelda isn't a queen after all. Still, I don't mind too much, Zelda looks badass either way.

The Hyrule Historia was made before Hyrule Warriors though. The event you may be referencing is the one for Twilight Princess. The Twilight invasion happened on the day before Zelda's coronation.

Who confirmed the mistranslation?

I don't actually have a source for that despite looking for it, but I heard it a few days ago from a friend who's a staff member on another site, and this new trailer confirms it.

I don't actually have a source for that despite looking for it, but I heard it a few days ago from a friend who's a staff member on another site, and this new trailer confirms it.

I don't know. Read this part of the interview, the way it flows doesn't seem to work with a mistranslation. That may just be me.

Can you tell me about the relationship between Link and Zelda in Hyrule Warriors?

Mr. Hayashi: In Hyrule Warriors Princess Zelda is actually Queen Zelda. She has an army, as a Queen would, and Link is a trainee, but as the story unfolds the relationship between the two greatly changes.

We’re seeing Zelda take a stronger heroine role as Queen and as a playable character in Hyrule Warriors. Will that lead to her having a more prominent role in future Zelda and related games?

Mr. Aonuma: With regard to Princess Zelda and her position in each story, we always position her where it’s best suited for that story or theme. We always try to achieve her best position within the story with each game or iteration. Just because she’s one way in one game, it doesn’t mean she’ll be the same way in the next game. We definitely change how Zelda is used and position her where it’s best for the experience. That’s as Queen and one of the playable characters in Hyrule Warriors.

http://mmgn.com/wiiu/articles--hyrule-warriors-interview-aonuma-koinuma-and

----

Someone should email the staff of the site and see what they have to say, because they don't have any other articles or edits talking about a mistranslation.

The Hyrule Historia was made before Hyrule Warriors though. The event you may be referencing is the one for Twilight Princess. The Twilight invasion happened on the day before Zelda's coronation.

I'm well aware Hyrule Historia was made before Hyrule Warriors. What does that have to do with anything? Supposedly in Hyrule Historia, it states that a specific event leads to Princess Zelda vowing never to take the title of Queen and I believe this was supposed to extend to all future Zelda that would come. That's what was stated. I never heard that myself, though.

I own Hyrule Historia and I never remember reading about that myself. Plus Hyrule Warriors isn't canon, so any "rules" established in Zelda's main canon don't apply here.

The argument is moot regardless anyway because she's still "Princess" Zelda whether we like it or not.

I own Hyrule Historia and I never remember reading about that myself. Plus Hyrule Warriors isn't canon, so any "rules" established in Zelda's main canon don't apply here.

The argument is moot regardless anyway because she's still "Princess" Zelda whether we like it or not.

It would be easy to change one word. It's not like it would take everything in the translation team's power to do that. If enough people complained. 

I'm well aware Hyrule Historia was made before Hyrule Warriors. What does that have to do with anything? Supposedly in Hyrule Historia, it states that a specific event leads to Princess Zelda vowing never to take the title of Queen and I believe this was supposed to extend to all future Zelda that would come. That's what was stated. I never heard that myself, though.

Because this topic is about the game that was made after the Historia? 

I think people worried about the roster need to remember something.

In those other games like One Piece: Pirate Warriors and such, they were creating everything from scratch. In this game, the only things being created from scratch are the playable characters' movesets and perhaps a few unique bosses, but everything else is being drawn from other games. Argorok is ripped straight from Twilight Princess, and so is Midna and Zant. Many of Midna's moves are based on her hair hand thingy whatever it is, which she used very frequently in Twilight Princess, and Zant is probably based on his boss battle.

All of the individual enemies are ripped straight from existing Zelda games, too. That saves a ton of work on assets and would allow them to make a much bigger cast for a first game this time around. Now I do agree, my first estimate of about 50 characters was probably too high. I think we can still expect about 25-30 characters, though, and yes I think all the villains will be playable since they've already got all the movesets and assets created for them anyway. Why NOT make them playable?

I don't think we'll get many characters that aren't in the main 3D more realistic Zelda games, though. Maybe 1-2 from Wind Waker and 2-3 from the 2D Zelda games.

Because this topic is about the game that was made after the Historia? 

I still don't see how that affects anything. In theory, what the Historia said should apply to any game that comes after it because if it actually was stated, it implied that this affected Zelda period, in all future games, where she would never assume the title of Queen (or her descendants or whatever for that matter) due to a major incident that happened. Of course, if it was based on Twilight Princess, it would only apply to games that took place after TP.

Which would mean that if this game was canon of COURSE it would affect this game. And even if the game is non-canon, there's still some things that are annoying for them to not follow through with.

I'll admit, there's two major issues bugging me so far. The first is the moon. Now, I'm ok with the reference to the moon, but why can anyone pull down the moon or even the Great Fairy when it was the power of Majora's Mask that did it, and it was a significant factor of that game? The game may be non-canon, but this is still a glaring and annoying issue. After I got over the fangasm, I realized it was just a stupid reference.

The second is Impa using Water Magic instead of Shadow Magic. I just hope that's based on her weapon because otherwise I'll be quite disappointed.

Impa using a giant sword never bothered me because she never used a weapon or did any sort of fighting ever prior to Hyrule Warriors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. Lana is just the spitting image of anime with her noises and her poses. It's actually turning me off how un-Zelda she is. Her attack methods look, strange too.

Edit: It's actually pretty cool looking when I don't have to hear her horrible voice. 

blockwallrunoljgt.gif

Better to give those traits to an original character than to stick them on an existing one, I guess. She seems a little weird to me, but that's probably because she's the only fresh face so far aside from the villains. When (if?) we've seen a few more Hyrule Warriors originals, I think she'll fit in better.

Everything about her fighting style is super cool, though, especially the move where she logrolls on that cube. It's kinda dumb, but it's charming.

She doesn't look that bad, but I'd rather not have original characters in this game if we're going to get a relatively small cast. If we get a decent sized cast of Zelda characters I don't really care, though. I was hoping they'd do Midna next.

Who the hell cares if her title is Queen or Princess, she pretty much runs the damn country anyway. I mean, what does the King of Hyrule even do except suck and die?

I think it would be cool if Daphnes Hyrule was playable or something, though.

She doesn't look that bad, but I'd rather not have original characters in this game if we're going to get a relatively small cast. If we get a decent sized cast of Zelda characters I don't really care, though. I was hoping they'd do Midna next.

They've already said the cast isn't small. Also, her name is Lana. Lanayru, she's clearly an expy for Nayru.

Who the hell cares if her title is Queen or Princess, she pretty much runs the damn country anyway.

It's not simply about her running the country, it's a title which happens to carry more weight just by its name than its subordinate. It's an act of progression, if not greater respect towards her sovereignty by giving her a higher rank than that of a princess, which is what I assume people care about. Like the difference between a colonel and a general in the military.

Sure, Queen or Princess, she's still a badass in the game running the country, but I can see some feeling it's a bit stagnant and too old fashioned to keep her as a princess, or feel a bit upset when the one small sign of change in title that excited them gets changed back into the typical title. With that said, while it's not really much of an issue, I'd honestly prefer her to be called Queen Zelda instead. That one change alone instantly made me think of this Zelda as something much greater than the previous ones simply by being called the Queen, and you don't often see queens fighting on the frontlines with their soldiers in media than you do kings or princes.

EDIT: Better yet, I'd really love to see a Zelda game where they go all out and say "Screw being a princess or a queen; this Zelda's a goddamn Empress!" As much as that'll never happen. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 4