Awoo.

Rinzler

I thought all EA published titles for PC were going to be exclusive to Origin anyway? As for specs, looks like I'm running on high settings at least maybe.

I thought all EA published titles for PC were going to be exclusive to Origin anyway? As for specs, looks like I'm running on high settings at least maybe.

They are, IIRC.

This isn't really surprising. EA has been telling Steam to lick their ass for some time now.

Still fucking sucks though.

Remember, this is PC for ya. Where people care more about a platform than a game.

Or maybe we care about a stable service to play said games than a shoddy one with draconian DRM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Or maybe we care about a stable service to play said games than a shoddy one with draconian DRM

Steam's pretty bad too. I have a friend who got burned pretty badly because his currency wouldn't convert.

Have you ever used Origin? It's not that bad, I've used services that are far worse. It actually works for one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, steam isn't the second coming of gaming because they sell games for dirt cheap every now and then. There's still lots of shit under the icing.

I just don't want to install and sign up for another service. I already have Steam, it's where most PC devs go to, it's where EA should go to.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, steam isn't the second coming of gaming because they sell games for dirt cheap every now and then. There's still lots of shit under the icing.

I just don't want to install and sign up for another service. I already have Steam, it's where most PC devs go to, it's where EA should go to.

Ubisoft is kind of doing the same with their games, though you can purchase their games off the steam store, but you have to install their software as well to even run it. It's really annoying, but I have no control over it...

• 2 weeks later...

Potential(awesome) spoilers, regarding Titanfall's maps:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/18/titanfall-maps-monsters-and-story-details-to-blow-your-mind

We've managed to get The Art of Titanfall book ahead of its release on February 25 and, in doing so, uncovered a range of new details on the weapons, maps, story and even the monsters of Titanfall.

That's not a typo. Here... there be monsters.

Watch the video below to see this all-new artwork for yourself (you need to see the Leviathan creature for yourself) and learn much more about Titanfall's maps, creatures, weapons, and of course, hear us speculate about what this means for its story).

Before we get to that, let's start with the details we'd already had a whiff of. Those maps that were data-mined from the beta are apparently legit, as there are entries for Colony, Boneyard, Corporate, Overlook, Nexus, Airbase, Outpost 207 and Lagoon in the book. Additionally, there's also an entry that seems to be more lore-focused for a planet called Demeter, the "red giant". It's described as an IMC stronghold that serves as a refuelling point for long-distance jumps, which makes sense seeing as it's named after the Greek goddess of agriculture.

In terms of the other maps, there's new info. Lagoon was once a tranquil place, until an IMC megacarrier crashed into the middle of it. The result is an arena that's going to be tight and confined. Overlook is of a similar size, but its a prison complex, designed to hold Militia prisoners of war. Corporate is the Hammond Corporation's headquarters, and looks both sleek and modern, while Colony features a crashed carrier and has long been out of the IMC's reach.

The accompanying text for Outpost 207, meanwhile, gives us one of our first proper insights into how Titanfall's narrative will be woven into the multiplayer gameplay. "Militia leader MacAllan is especially keen to make an assault when IMC’s capital ship IMS Sential pulls in for repair, although no Outpost-protected facility has ever been breached before," it reads, "An audacious plan to use a derelict ship as bait is hatched, but IMC forces are unlikely to be fooled quite so easily." It seems, then, that in the case of Outpost 207, this is the backdrop your firefights will take place against.

Then we have Nexus and Airbase. There's a lot of art for Nexus, which is set on a planet called Harmony, that has quite a strong mechanical edge to it. Apparently the map was originally planned to feature a huge space elevator that ferried cargo out of the atmosphere, but this was abandoned in favour of a more terrestrial battleground. Airbase, meanwhile, is a distant moon of Demeter. It's got 'dog whistle defences' - giant sonic emitters to keep local wildlife away. Interestingly, it was designed as a gameplay experiment, in a bid to see how giving Titans a tactically superior higher "hill" to hold works.

Finally there's Boneyard. It's set on Planet Leviathan in the Badlands system. The planet is named after the local fauna, huge monsters that drove the IMC off-planet and forced them to abandon it. Their skeletal remains provide the backbone for the world and it looks spectacular. There's art showing the IMC battling local flying creatures, while Leviathans disappear into the clouds in the background, looking reminiscent of the gargantuan creatures glimpsed at the end of Frank Darabont's movie adaptation of The Mist.

So, what does this mean? Was the original reason the Titans were developed because of the hostile local wildlife encountered on these foreign worlds? It's an exciting thought, one made even more so by the accompanying news that some of the creatures "will walk or fly around levels harmlessly until people interfere. Others will attack when you just stare at them." Looks like you'll have more than just the Militia and IMC to worry about then. Will you be able to set up traps featuring the wildlife and unsuspecting foes?

Looking at the section focused on vehicles, a range of hitherto unseen tech is listed, including Drones and Gorilla Tanks. Could these be high level burn cards reserved for those that wrack up killstreaks?

A number of weapons are also revealed. The Arc Cannon looks set to fire bolts of lightning that can hit multiple targets, and is designed to be used as a short-range, high-damage option. The Rail Gun, meanwhile, shoots pure plasma and boasts high damage, range and accuracy. Finally, the Avenger looks like it could be the Chaingun masquerading under another name, but we can't be sure.

Again for much more information on Titanfall and its map, mechs, and monsters, watch the video at the top of the page and check out our wiki.

The Art of Titanfall will be released on February 25.

If this is true, then I can't wait to see how it works in game. I'd love to fight a leviathan in a titan. smile.png

• 3 weeks later...
video in question:

Does anyone else here thing theirs no reason for titan fall not to have single player? Though to respond to the whole Origin debacle, Its not worth using, Origin and Uplay have nothing better to offer compared to things like GOG or Steam.

I agree with his point but by today's standard, I don't think the single player campaign would really keep me interested for very long especially when most FPS's are geared toward multiplayer more so than the single player.

I'm not sure why this is a big issue since, well, not every game is obligated to have a single-player campaign. And let's face it; these kinds of shooters live on in the public consciousness not through their campaigns, but through their online multiplayer in the first place. For a few like Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress 2, or Titanfall to completely lack a traditional campaign every once in awhile plays perfectly fine into the chaotic, human-driven experience they want to deliver their audiences. And there's millions of other games to get your single-player fix if you so need it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not sure why this is a big issue since, well, not every game is obligated to have a single-player campaign. And let's face it; these kinds of shooters live on in the public consciousness not through their campaigns, but through their online multiplayer in the first place. For a few like Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress 2, or Titanfall to completely lack a traditional campaign every once in awhile plays perfectly fine into the chaotic, human-driven experience they want to deliver their audiences. And there's millions of other games to get your single-player fix if you so need it.

Exactly. Battlefield is also a good example were it never even had a single-player campaign during its inception. Now it does, and they are ass, so they really need to go back to their roots. People end up playing the multiplayer for 300+ hours so I have no idea why there are complaints about not having a 4 hour campaign which will probably be crap.

The dev time spent on singleplayer can be used to refine multiplayer.

Definitely. Especially if it's a franchise well known for its multiplayer.

The one thing I can really complain about a game focusing exclusively on multiplayer is that it effectively cuts the game's shelf life by a noticable margin. It'll only last as long as players are interested and/or the servers remain running, and once either of those happen a multiplayer-exclusive game essentially becomes a brick.

That being said they're advertising the absolute shit out of this game (unlike say, Anarchy Reigns, which was already completely dead by the time I actually got to play it), so it wouldn't surprise me if this reaches near-Halo levels of activity for quite some time.

The one thing I can really complain about a game focusing exclusively on multiplayer is that it effectively cuts the game's shelf life by a noticable margin. It'll only last as long as players are interested and/or the servers remain running, and once either of those happen a multiplayer-exclusive game essentially becomes a brick.

Well, the first bit can be solved by making a great game, and maybe even updating it over time with patches and new content updates.

The second bit can be solved by having dedicated servers... Which is only available on PC. Oh, wait, Titanfall doesn't allow players to establish dedicated servers. WHOOPS.

Yeah... There are multiplayer games out there which have lasted, a long, long time, for both these reasons.

Well, the first bit can be solved by making a great game, and maybe even updating it over time with patches and new content updates.

This actually has less to do with the problem than you might think. A good quality game isn't necessarily one with a shit-ton of replay value, nor is it necessarily one a lot of people have heard of or want to play. Likewise, while free updates and upgrades is basically free publicity in of itself, it's practically useless to a game that doesn't already have a sizeable community for word of mouth to spread.

The livelihood of most multiplayer games is practically predetermined as soon as the game launches, based in large part to its marketing campaign and the word of mouth that spreads based on its critical appeal (usually in the form of some variation of "you, friend of mine, come play this awesome game I just discovered that's even more awesome with friends"). If you're not an instant hit right out of the gate, that's it, the game's pretty much already flopped, and the problems listed just kill it off even faster. That's the huge risk in making games multiplayer only - there aren't any slow burners, because these games are reliant on a dedicated community to function at all.

That being said, yes, users need some actual fucking control over servers and be given the capability to set up their own. Sure, keep some official ones around as long as practical, but they're not going to be there forever, and the game shouldn't just die because they're gone. To say nothing of some of the nifty shit people can do with customized servers. Lord knows how long a game like Doom would've lasted if the multiplayer wasn't strictly peer-to-peer.

The second bit can be solved by having dedicated servers... Which is only available on PC. Oh, wait, Titanfall doesn't allow players to establish dedicated servers. WHOOPS.

Yeah... There are multiplayer games out there which have lasted, a long, long time, for both these reasons.

The PC/Xbone versions have dedis already, just not user controlled dedis. All the servers are sitting over in cloud powered, MS Azure server farms. 

So, I checked out the description for the game while on Gamestop's site and, along with info from TotalBiscuit's WTF, for $60 you get:

-3 game modes

-2 maps

-10 generic guns

Like........wow

So, I checked out the description for the game while on Gamestop's site and, along with info from TotalBiscuit's WTF, for $60 you get:

-3 game modes

-2 maps

-10 generic guns

Like........wow

sounds like a PS1 game... or Independence day the game

• Thumbs Up 1

So has anyone played the game yet? I want to know if it's worth me buying or skipping. Especially since it looks like COD/BF on steroids with mechs.