Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Just heard the song.

Ugh.

Just...ugh.

I'm so ready to move on from this movie. It clearly isn't for me, and I just don't like how un-Sonic this movie feels to me.

• Thumbs Up 4

It was a decent song. Noting I would care to blast out of my car. I just hope gangster paradise is still on the ost.

• My Emmerdoods 1

Those trailers, but in english:

How come there's no 80's or 90's pop songs in this (I mean, besides Blitzkrieg Bop)? Save the raps for Knuckles, lol. Also, can't be Sonic without a good old leak, heh.

Also, he made an Uber joke. And mentioned Vin Diesel.

The song is as laughably tone deaf as it was when they did Shell-Shock for TMNT 2014. I really wish they would've got Hyper Potions to do a new song or something.

• Thumbs Up 3

The lack of Hyper Potions/80s and 90s music is because they're not trying to appeal that deeply to older fans.

I mean there's some references but they're most surface level gack like Green Hill(s) and Robo-Tonik naming. It's still probably way more aimed at a new kid audience even more than the games are. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Even Sonic 06 had good music, if a bit too morbid and serious.  Certainly “His World” and “Dreams of Absolution” were memorable.  This one I already can’t remember.

Even “Green Light Ride” is better! 

34 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

The lack of Hyper Potions/80s and 90s music is because they're not trying to appeal that deeply to older fans.

I mean there's some references but they're most surface level gack like Green Hill(s) and Robo-Tonik naming. It's still probably way more aimed at a new kid audience even more than the games are. 

The sad thing is that this still might be the most reference we get to Knuckles and/or Tails in this movie.

Anyway, having listened to the song again, fully this time, I actually don’t think it’s bad.  The background track has something of a 1980s New Wave sound, at least some of the instruments seem pulled from SEGA Genesis, and the rapping isn’t terrible, though the fast part is hard to understand.  I don’t think it’s very remarkable by Sonic standards, but it’s more it’s own thing than I expected based on its creation by a has-been flash-in-the-pan pop rapper and three even more obscure artists.

Yeah, but c'mon, kids can enjoy good music once in a while. Not saying the music we have today is crap. But it totally is. Throw in some goddamn Michael Jackson FFS. Or the overly used but arguibly catchy Bad Religion's "Super Sonic". God, those early YouTube days, every Sonic "music video" had either that song or that Linkin Park song, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah... I'm gonna go with "it's a bit shit".

Edit: On the energetic beat produced by Take A Daytrip, the rappers boast about their excessive money and luxurious cars that came about as a result of their success.

I thought the song was alright. And I think that's really the height for it. 

It will range from people thinking it's ok, to people thinking it's terrible. 

Really I think the song is just sort of generic when it could have gotten more insane. Give the Knuckles raps credits; they're terrible, but at least they're memorably fun terrible. This is just.... there. 

Edited by VisionaryofSUPER

57 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

It seems all it takes to kill all this renewed hype is one song. 

Alas, you’re going to get that in a film that fans mostly have no higher hopes for than that it won’t make the brand look bad.  This film’s premise is aiming so low that I don’t blame people for not expecting any higher.  It would feel lacking as a Sonic property even if it’s writing and soundtrack were constantly great.

• Thumbs Up 3

For a franchise with music as varied as what Sonic has, with such a colourful sound that anyone can jam to, these artists had so much to live up to. They're up against the likes of Masato Nakamura, Hyper Potions, Cash Cash, Bowling for Soup, Hoobastank, Dangerkids, MICHAEL JACKSON HIMSELF, and even Right Said Fred. And that's not counting the musicians who work at SEGA, like Jun Senoue and Tomoya Ohtani.

Aaand... yeah, this song can live in the bottom of the rubbish with the AKON remix of Sweet Dreams.

oh well, that sucks

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2

3 hours ago, Domino said:

Those of you who were saying Sonic wasn't "lounging around" enough a few pages back have at least this now:

Hide contents

SonicLoafing.thumb.jpg.c585a72928f36413bc5c0ebb74f42d46.jpg

I feel like the racing car bed is a reference to the Sonic Archie comics.

So, after the random use of Gangster's Paradise, we get a mediocre at best hip-hop/pop/rap song.

Am I supposed to be surprised?

Spoiler

Still better than Reach for the Stars tho.

I actually think this music “Speed Me Up” is pretty good, well not amazing sure... but not bad. And I'm saying this as somebody kinda picky who for example hated most of the Sonic-06 music, especially "his world" which many fans often praise...

8 hours ago, Jango said:

Yeah, but c'mon, kids can enjoy good music once in a while. Not saying the music we have today is crap. But it totally is. Throw in some goddamn Michael Jackson FFS. Or the overly used but arguibly catchy Bad Religion's "Super Sonic". God, those early YouTube days, every Sonic "music video" had either that song or that Linkin Park song, lol.

A Sonic movie with Bad Religion on the OST... I would explode! That would be my favourite band in my favourite character's movie.

I just saw the music video to that weird rap song from the movie. The video is pretty good. Song sucks though imo. But people seem to like it...

I guarantee we will get more terrible songs on the OST - no doubt a whole album full!

1 hour ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

For a franchise with music as varied as what Sonic has, with such a colourful sound that anyone can jam to, these artists had so much to live up to. They're up against the likes of Masato Nakamura, Hyper Potions, Cash Cash, Bowling for Soup, Hoobastank, Dangerkids, MICHAEL JACKSON HIMSELF, and even Right Said Fred. And that's not counting the musicians who work at SEGA, like Jun Senoue and Tomoya Ohtani.

Aaand... yeah, this song can live in the bottom of the rubbish with the AKON remix of Sweet Dreams.

oh well, that sucks

and Tee Lopes, don't forget Tee Lopes.

It's a shame we couldn't get Crush 40 for this movie, really. They for sure would knock the soundtrack outta the park like they always do.

Just accept that the movie's trying to be as unSoniclike as it can get away with since apparently it's taken for granted by Sonic Team, the movie makers, and the movie's apologists that Sonic's sound, style/s, characterization, etc. have nothing of worth to be carried into film.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Almar said:

Just accept that the movie's trying to be as unSoniclike as it can get away with since apparently it's taken for granted by Sonic Team, the movie makers, and the movie's apologists that Sonic's sound, style/s, characterization, etc. have nothing of worth to be carried into film.

To be fair, isn't that the approach to almost every movie adaptation? Get the license, use the name but fuck using the actual source material, because we are motherf*cking Hollywood, and we know what's best for every IP.

So this is predicted to only open at around $40 million in the US? There’s only one word that comes to mind... FLOP. 
Paramount are gonna lose out big time on this! Especially as the budget is around $90 million.

Once the opening weekend passes and all the negative reviews come out, nobody will want to see it.

This film will be a complete flop in Japan because he has never been popular there anyway.

I don’t see it making £50 million in the UK/rest of Europe to even break even. I work at a Vue cinema here in the UK and guess how many tickets have been pre-booked for opening night on 14th Feb... 2 tickets!

Sorry but in this day and age, $40 million opening for a movie is a failure.

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Sonic Team?!  Do they even exist anymore to have an opinion?