Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

This is so surreal. I can't imagine these standees with the ugly ass Sonic from before, like, how they would make that work? Jesus Chirst. I'm so relieved that they changed the design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does this mean Sonic’s gonna be sitting in a cinema seat for 4 months?

Either Sonic’s paying for a lot of movie tickets or the cinema is gonna have to call animal control...

• Chuckle 5

So I'd like to bring this up again:

Spoiler

Kd2tJpY.jpg

When does this scene take place in the movie? The leak was supposed to be real… or they changed things and it's no longer an origin story.

Gonna be the end of the movie. There's gonna be some Peter Parker style narration over the top of it about how he can use his powers to protect his world. Robotnik scene follows that. 

35 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

So I'd like to bring this up again:

Hide contents

Kd2tJpY.jpg

When does this scene take place in the movie? The leak was supposed to be real… or they changed things and it's no longer an origin story.

15 minutes ago, Stasis said:

Gonna be the end of the movie. There's gonna be some Peter Parker style narration over the top of it about how he can use his powers to protect his world. Robotnik scene follows that. 

This being at the end of the movie makes no sense, his narration in the beginning explicitly says that on his planet, people were always after his powers, setting up the conflict between him and Eggman before it happens in the movie proper. That pretty much confirms that Sonic has grown up in his own world, and was there for a fairly long period of time (although without meeting his usual cast of friends) and he left because villains before Eggman came around and tried to steal his speed, and he travelled to Earth to escape them and live in peace.

Him explaining this at the end of the movie doesn't make sense, because either Sonic's calling Earth his homeworld, and he escaped there because of Eggman (Which makes no sense because Eggman is present in Mushroom Hill at the end), or Sonic's bit about coming to another world makes no sense. He even namedrops Earth, and even says it gets lonely, so this has to be before meeting Tom, and therefore literally can't be at the end of the movie. This has to be him explaining the situation to Tom, and why it's a matter of life or death, there's very little context where it makes sense otherwise.

They likely got rid of it because it's over-complicating matters, and it's always a divisive cliche that really isn't worth it (at least, I hope this is the case). Destroying Sonic's ties with the actual world people care about is a awful idea, and shouldn't be used to begin with. Sonic's world is the showstopper people want to see. They want to see the iconic locales realised fully.

The original origin story is representative with the problematic approach to the movie in general, and was key in Sonic's original design - disregarding what originally worked in some idiotically vain "we know best" mindset. Sonic's original origin in his world already works fine, we don't need to see him as a baby being raised on Earth. Sonic's original design already worked fine, we didn't need him humanised and turned into the disgusting uncanny valley abomination he was before.

It reeks of the same dumbass decisions that nearly led to Alien Ninja Turtles, where somewhere along the line, the filmmakers believed they knew best and disregarded key elements of the franchise's identity to random ideas instead. It was that exact mindset that nearly landed us with Colonel Schraeder, and these godawful Turtle designs:

spacer.png

And this isn't to say creators shouldn't be allowed to interject their own ideas into licensed projects, or what have you, but you're working with a pre-established license with a set of characters who already have massive fanbases, and who want to see these franchises at least represented fairly accurately.

There's a point where you go so far from the source material that you might as well not even be bothering touching it, and I feel like that's what the original Sonic origin here was going to be, erasing Sonic's entire history to set him up as considering Earth as his home-world, and that then has the knock-on effect of disregarding the actual world people give a shit about, and the cast of characters that also come with said world.

If you want my guess, I think it wouldn't be far off to say that the producers/filmmakers realised the immense backlash they got with the radically different design, mixed with the backlash previous changes like this got (IE - Bay's TMNT needing full on changes due to leaks, to the point said sloppy changes are reflected in the final movie, especially with Shredder), and backed off to make Movie!Sonic's origins more in line with the source material as to not annoy fans further.

• Too Many Rings 1

21 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The original origin story is representative with the problematic approach to the movie in general, and was key in Sonic's original design - disregarding what originally worked in some idiotically vain "we know best" mindset.

But isn't that how Iizku and Co. have been acting? What stops the movie makers from doing it too? :^]

There's a reasonable chance that the opening trailer voice over is just to introduce the premise for the trailer and not dialogue from the film and a smaller possibility that the scene is made for the trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

In Egypt we see him do the slide to avoid Robotnik's attack and the exact same slide is shown in Green Hill. However, Sonic now looks confident doing it making me believe it is towards the end of the movie after his confidence in his abilities grows. Throughout the trailers his personality is immature and he uses his speed for games (spinning around on the chair in the bar, pillow fights etc). By fighting Robotnik to protect Earth from global domination, he learns to use his speed for more than just his ammusement. He's no longer scared of conflict like when he first surrenders to Robotnik to save Tom. He can return home with the skill set to protect his home world and his friends.

Either that or it's at the beginning of the movie after he has returned home and the narration in the trailer is like the Eddie Lebron fan movie where it sets the scene of what happened.

Not sure if anyone's noticed this (it seems like nobody at all has), but the Blitzkrieg Bop song in the trailer actually isn't the original version of the song. It's a remixed cover of it. I'm not just talking about the 8-bit additions to the background of the song, I'm talking about the VOICE too. Completely different.

And I think this may have been exclusively for the trailer or movie itself because I can't find the same cover anywhere.

21 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Not sure if anyone's noticed this (it seems like nobody at all has), but the Blitzkrieg Bop song in the trailer actually isn't the original version of the song. It's a remixed cover of it. I'm not just talking about the 8-bit additions to the background of the song, I'm talking about the VOICE too. Completely different.

And I think this may have been exclusively for the trailer or movie itself because I can't find the same cover anywhere.

Closest I can find is by New Found Glory

Brutally honest moment: this design is really growing on me. Dare I say, I actually like it more than Modern Sonic. It has nearly the proportions of SA1 which is the design I've always favored for 3D sonic and tons of expressiveness much like classic sonic. I think I'm really going to enjoy Sonic just for being Sonic in this movie, if that makes any sense. Like, his personality really coming out in a way that isnt overly one note. The cool with a slight bit of cute thing, little bit of attitude, lots of fun guy. The plot just has to not be terrible. Hopefully....pleeeease just be decent in that regard. I'll honestly be satisfied with a pokemon level movie, which by the way I didnt think was that great. 

By the way modern sonic is fine overall and I dont mind him. The only thing that bothers me on occasion is that his hands and feet seem way disproportionately big for the character. Like ginormous hands and feet, and a little too tall for my tastes.... Not like he should look like an actual hedgehog by any stretch but I've always liked Sonic to have a more compact look, because his primary method of attacking is rolling into things. He should logically be short and small even if hes not a potbelly like classic. This is partly why I like the in game model for DC SA1 so much. Pretty much nailed it IMO.

3 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Dare I say, I actually like it more than Modern Sonic. It has nearly the proportions of SA1

Well... Movie Sonic isn't really shorter then Modern Sonic, I think him just having thicker limbs gives you that impression. Movie Sonic's head, hands & feet are smaller along with thicker limbs & torso... if anything this makes movie Sonic feel fairly taller looking then Modern Sonic when compared side by side.

cHcnreI.png

• Thumbs Up 1

@Ryannumber1gamerThe origin story of Sonic did not need to be changed. It's a new interpretation of the games; a seperate continuity.. Just because Sonic grew up in his world in the source material does not mean it has to apply to what is essentially a new adaptation of existing material. I want Sonic to have an actual character arc in this movie with actual growth. There is no journey if he starts the movie already fully formed. 

Sonic says that he came to Earth to save his planet in the International trailer so hopefully they didn't cut out all of Sonic's development 

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

@Ryannumber1gamerThe origin story of Sonic did not need to be changed. It's a new interpretation of the games; a seperate continuity.. Just because Sonic grew up in his world in the source material does not mean it has to apply to what is essentially a new adaptation of existing material. I want Sonic to have an actual character arc in this movie with actual growth. There is no journey if he starts the movie already fully formed. 

Sonic says that he came to Earth to save his planet in the International trailer so hopefully they didn't cut out all of Sonic's development 

Sonic growing up on his world, or Sonic growing up as a weird baby raised by a mama owl out of nowhere on Earth makes not one lick of difference to Sonic's current arc as shown in this trailer, and I have no idea how him being from his world and coming to Earth suddenly makes him "fully formed". Either he comes from his world to avoid people stealing his powers, and is already a loner before the movie begins, or he grows up on Earth and is a loner trying to avoid having his power stolen.

The only difference is one is weird and completely different from what a lot of people would like to see in a Sonic movie, and the other shows off the world people might actually be interested in seeing via Sonic's zones fully realised with a high budget. 

The trailer explicitly states the following - Sonic was on his world for a period of time. Unknown villains tried to steal his speed, and Sonic got sick of this. Sonic supposedly hasn't met any of his friends at this point, hence why he moved to Earth to get away from the people attempting to steal his powers. He then finds himself even more lonely on Earth, and has tricked himself into believing he is in fact living a great life.

No matter if this is trailer narration or not, this is here for a reason, this is Sonic setting up the setting and backstory that he is following. If the original baby to a owl origin was still in effect, Sonic would not be introducing this backstory to the audience because it would be misleading and false. It being an ending narration does not make sense because Sonic points out that he's lonely, and "living his best life", so this is before meeting Tom, and he outright states he travelled to Earth from his world, not the other way around. Therefore Sonic grew up on his own planet, escaped after people tried to steal his powers, and remained on Earth after that.

And the end of that is it still doesn't change anything from Sonic's "character arc" because it doesn't change either way. The only difference is one is accurate to the games and allows for more fan service that isn't divisive, and the other is just different for the hell of it, and completely cuts Sonic's ties off entirely with his home world, and with the rest of the Sonic characters people might care about.  

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sonic growing up on his world, or Sonic growing up as a weird baby raised by a mama owl out of nowhere on Earth makes not one lick of difference to Sonic's current arc as shown in this trailer, and I have no idea how him being from his world and coming to Earth suddenly makes him "fully formed". Either he comes from his world to avoid people stealing his powers, and is already a loner before the movie begins, or he grows up on Earth and is a loner trying to avoid having his power stolen.

The only difference is one is weird and completely different from what a lot of people would like to see in a Sonic movie, and the other shows off the world people might actually be interested in seeing via Sonic's zones fully realised with a high budget. 

The trailer explicitly states the following - Sonic was on his world for a period of time. Unknown villains tried to steal his speed, and Sonic got sick of this. Sonic supposedly hasn't met any of his friends at this point, hence why he moved to Earth to get away from the people attempting to steal his powers. He then finds himself even more lonely on Earth, and has tricked himself into believing he is in fact living a great life.

No matter if this is trailer narration or not, this is here for a reason, this is Sonic setting up the setting and backstory that he is following. If the original baby to a owl origin was still in effect, Sonic would not be introducing this backstory to the audience because it would be misleading and false. It being an ending narration does not make sense because Sonic points out that he's lonely, and "living his best life", so this is before meeting Tom, and he outright states he travelled to Earth from his world, not the other way around. Therefore Sonic grew up on his own planet, escaped after people tried to steal his powers, and remained on Earth after that.

And the end of that is it still doesn't change anything from Sonic's "character arc" because it doesn't change either way. The only difference is one is accurate to the games and allows for more fan service that isn't divisive, and the other is just different for the hell of it, and completely cuts Sonic's ties off entirely with his home world, and with the rest of the Sonic characters people might care about.  

What this changes is that Sonic already has pre-existing history that happened off-screen. If he comes out talking about how "people are always after my powers" it means that he has already discovered his powers. In the original version, he was discovering his powers for the first time and becoming a hero for the first time. 

For me, story is more important  and should take priority over being accurate to the game's canon. All good stories are about change. I'm interested in seeing a Sonic go on a journey and if that means he doesn't have the same exact 1:1 origin as the games, well-- that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for good storytelling 

• Thumbs Up 1

In theory they might still establish what his life is like before heading to Earth, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they don't. (There's also the possibility the leak back then wasn't true? I don't remember if there was any indication of it's legitimacy either way.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Another possibility is that the leaked opening is still true but being excluded from marketing because they really needed to turn round the opinion on the film and 10-20 seconds of baby Sonic would undermine those efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I actually agree with Peter. Jim Carrey's Robotnik is getting criticism for being different, but in reality he simply gradually becomes Eggman from the games, we know that from the end of the first trailer, that hasn't changed. So why not Sonic too? He can gradually become Sonic, as part of his origin story, I liked that idea, the owl, being raised on Earth alone, misguided and lonely, not-confident until he finds purpose, a friend and becomes more like Sonic from the games, it was a new thing, not perfect but still something different, and I do love origin stories, it has never been done before with Sonic. I'm just a bit disappointed, because the actual movie plot will be lacking if they drop the character arc, and even power-ups like gloves and shoes he was supposed to get later. Eh. I wanted this to be a prequel to the games, it was interesting as an idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd point out that Naka and Co. envisioned Sonic as a punky "cool-cat" character but whatever, it'd not like Iizuka and Co. ever cared about their intentions.

4 hours ago, Celestia said:

In theory they might still establish what his life is like before heading to Earth, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they don't. (There's also the possibility the leak back then wasn't true? I don't remember if there was any indication of it's legitimacy either way.)

Pretty sure it was, someone from production even shared a storyboard drawing showing baby Sonic next to a big mama owl.

Retarded, that story was. And hopefully, gone it is.

I wonder if Sonic's planet/world locations are mirrowed with planet Earth, seeing he came from Green Hill to Green Hillthrough the portal. Apparently one of Sonic's powers is creating these portals, in the Great Wall of China scene you can see that Sonic is carrying a bag full of portal rings. 

Also, why did he asked if The Rock is president still puzzles me. That would imply that Sonic lived on Earth before and knew who The Rock was, then came back to his world, lived a few more years there, and THEN, came back to Earth yet again. 

I mean, that joke wasn't even funny!