Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Oh hey...what about that thing that said there would be a new movie "every year"? Er, I'm going to go on and guess it's a rumor, but...?

Okay, Mr. Van, I need to ask this, since it's a problem with a lot of cartoons that get this... live action, stuff.

Is this a show more focused on the humans than it is the cartoon character it's supposed to be about, or is it actually featuring the cartoon characters?

A lot of times, it's more about the humans and their human problems, featuring a small amount of the cartoon characters.

Maybe i should say it like this, do we see more humans in the movie, or more of Sonic, Eggman, and whoever else is in there?

Oh hey...what about that thing that said there would be a new movie "every year"? Er, I'm going to go on and guess it's a rumor, but...?

I know a lot of games are confident enough to have their sequels planned before the first game is even out.

Films, sure it's a bit different given the funds involved... but who knows. It is quite bold to already have sequels planned when the first film already is looking to have mixed reception.

Dang, so Van is legit huh? Cool. I wonder how many developers we got here. I only know SOL, Frost and now Van. Is there more (off topic question lol)

Either way I hope this turns out good. A full out CGI would of been great.

Okay, Mr. Van, I need to ask this, since it's a problem with a lot of cartoons that get this... live action, stuff.

Is this a show more focused on the humans than it is the cartoon character it's supposed to be about, or is it actually featuring the cartoon characters?

A lot of times, it's more about the humans and their human problems, featuring a small amount of the cartoon characters.

Maybe i should say it like this, do we see more humans in the movie, or more of Sonic, Eggman, and whoever else is in there?

This will be a Sonic the Hedgehog movie. The star and main character of the movie is Sonic the Hedgehog.

Van, it's really excellent to have you here. I think it's really awesome that you're taking the time to be part of our community. Know that regardless of what I end up thinking of the film when all is said and done, I greatly respect the effort you seem to be making. I'll be honest, I can't pretend I'm not still skeptical about the live action component, but know that I wish you and the team all the best in making this film.

Thanks for your support. I appreciate it!

Everyone involved hopes this will be a franchise, but "one film a year" is a rumor / misreading of the press release. Marza as a studio plans to release one film a year. That includes, but is not limited to Sonic movies.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hey Van hope your well. Soooo anychance foe a special teaser at SDCC next month? To which not a teaser featuring footage of the movie just like what Disney did with TRON LEGACY back in 2007/8 with the proof of concept?

Also thanks for taking the time to answer questions as well.

P.s has SEGA told you who you can put in the movie and who you cant yet?

I wouldn't be surprised if this question probably can't be answered, but Stephen Frost was able to throw us a bone about Sonic Boom being shown in more depth during and after E3, so here's hoping...

Would you be able to tell us when we might be able to expect a trailer for the film? San Diego Comic Con? Sonic Boom 2014? Etc.

I understand it's likely you're not able to give that sort of info out, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try!

There will not be a trailer this year. They have even started writing it, have they? 

There will not be a trailer this year. They have even started writing it, have they?

The trend for these Sony films so far has been to release a trailer two years in advance. A lot can happen in 6 months, so I wouldn't be surprised if we would at least get some sort of teaser this year.

Also, since some people have asked. I doubt there will be a trailer by Comic-Con, though that's not my department.

I guess I can hope for Sonic Boom 2014 having some sort of exclusive sneak peek!

Hopefully you'll be a special guest at Sonic Boom or Summer of Sonic one year. smile.png

Hopefully you'll be a special guest at Sonic Boom or Summer of Sonic one year. smile.png

I'm willing to crash any and all panels...

• Thumbs Up 6

The trend for these Sony films so far has been to release a trailer two years in advance. A lot can happen in 6 months, so I wouldn't be surprised if we would at least get some sort of teaser this year.

Wow, really? Are they actual trailers or more of a teaser thing? 

I'm guessing they will stick to a minimal cast for greater effect for the initial movie and if it does well branch out a bit more. Taking too much focus away from Sonic would be counter productive especially in the very first movie.

I would imagine Sonic would have someone to bounce his lines off besides Eggman, and most people even non fans know of Tails, so I could see that happening. Knuckles and even Amy being probable if they aren't being to minimal with the cast initially. Metal Sonic perhaps backing up Eggman what with him being one of Sonics longest running rivals, besides the big man himself of course.

As much as I would love seeing some of the less used original classic type characters like Nack, Bean and Bark, or even Mighty to give them a bit of a popularity boost I imagine Sega would say no, and again like the more recent secondary cast would be taking more script and screen time from the main focus of the movie.

Wow, really? Are they actual trailers or more of a teaser thing?

Teasers of a good length. Ratchet&Clank and the Sly Cooper films both had teaser videos confirming their release dates. Ratchet got a formal trailer at this year's E3, but it had been confirmed in a teaser back in 2013, and is due for release in 2015. Sly Cooper's due for 2016 and was confirmed earlier this year.

I thus wouldn't be surprised if the Sonic film is also planned for 2016, especially given it'd be a perfect way to mark the 25th anniversary.

I'm hopeful the teaser is still being polished. A million more things can go wrong with a mixed media video than a pure CGI one, after all.

Teasers of a good length. Ratchet&Clank and the Sly Cooper films both had teaser videos confirming their release dates. Ratchet got a formal trailer at this year's E3, but it had been confirmed in a teaser back in 2013, and is due for release in 2015. Sly Cooper's due for 2016 and was confirmed earlier this year.

I thus wouldn't be surprised if the Sonic film is also planned for 2016, especially given it'd be a perfect way to mark the 25th anniversary.

I'm hopeful the teaser is still being polished. A million more things can go wrong with a mixed media video than a pure CGI one, after all.

The Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper movies aren't actually made by Sony though, but by Rainmaker and Blockade. They put in the effort to make those teaser trailers two years before the movies come out, I wouldn't expect Marza and Sony Pictures to do the same because they did.

The Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper movies aren't actually made by Sony though, but by Rainmaker and Blockade. They put in the effort to make those teaser trailers two years before the movies come out, I wouldn't expect Marza and Sony Pictures to do the same because they did.

That probably is sad, but true.

Given Sony's input in all the films, though, I'd be optimistic they're at least pressuring Marza and Sony Pictures to get something out in a timely manner.

I mean, I presume Sony's getting a fair amount of pay for this, so they would like the project to look promising.

On the flipside, in this case, Sony's sharing control with SEGA, whereas it could call all the shots freely with the other films. I'm guessing that would explain the slower pace as now both parties need to agree on things, whereas Sony could just go, "Hey you, make this this way" with Rainmaker and Blockade.

I still have my reservations for this, but I would certainly like to see a trailer at least before I make any clear judgments on it. 

Biggest fear is what they'll do to Eggman if he's going to be live action.

i9qvrpx.png

nevermind, i'm ok with this

• Thumbs Up 2

Again I need to ask.

Is there any truth to that dark and gritty storyline direction?

I still have my reservations for this, but I would certainly like to see a trailer at least before I make any clear judgments on it. 

Biggest fear is what they'll do to Eggman if he's going to be live action.

i9qvrpx.png

nevermind, i'm ok with this

But Indigo Rush, we already have the perfect person for the base model of Eggman, he only needs a bigger mustache 

Jamie%20Hyneman.jpg

:P

• Thumbs Up 2

But Indigo Rush, we already have the perfect person for the base model of Eggman, he only needs a bigger mustache 

Jamie%20Hyneman.jpg

tongue.png

I JUST CHOKED ON MY DRINK

THANK YOU.

He is perfect, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hah, Jamie from Mythbusters looks the part, but I fear he lacks the energy our good Doctor needs.

Ahh great, so a Sonic movie huh? Neat!
It's a crazy fast paced universe, so I hope they embrace the energy and B-movie sillyness and go to town with it.
Heroes, bad guys, big set pieces. Energy. The possiblities are endless.

Iam with ogilvie... 2016 looks likely when the film comes out, June 23rd 2016 iam calling it as its a Thursday so a 4 day weekend box office could give it strength. And obviously the 25th Anniversary.... big Sonic game to follow around oct/nov as well