Awoo.

YouTube and Google +

Xtremer Sadiqachu

Ok lets see.

The only way I can now comment on something, including my own videos is to get a service I do not want nor do I need since for the last 8 years I could do that without this new service.

You're looking at this wrong. Let me try to explain how Google's account system works...

You do not have separate accounts for each Google service. You only have one account—your Google account. It's been this way for nearly a decade; it's not a new thing.

Let's say you make a Gmail account. By making a Gmail account, you now automatically have an account for every single Google service that exists, and every single service that will exist in the future. You can use your Gmail username and password to log into YouTube, or Drive, or Blogger, or Calendar, or Google+. The same is true for a YouTube account—you already have a Google+ account just by virtue of having a YouTube account. That's just how it works. Signing up for one Google service will automatically create an account for every Google service.

Because many people in the past created one account for regular Google services and a different account for YouTube (because YouTube wasn't well-integrated in the past), most people have two full-fledged Google accounts, with a duplicate account for every service. This is pretty inefficient. Thus, Google is asking users to merge their accounts. 

You don't have to deal with Google+. You never have to go to the site, or do settings there, or anything. You just have to click "Merge"—to remove all the duplicate accounts—and then choose the option "keep YouTube username". If you keep your username, there will be no public links to your Google+ profile (for example, here's my account. It's merged with my personal Gmail account, witch uses my real name).

That's it. You're done. Congratulations. 

(If you want to keep all the duplicates, or have never made a different Google account anywhere before, then sign into a Google service using your YouTube credentials and merge it with that account or something. I dunno. It's not difficult, either way.)

The only way I can now get messages from other youtube users is to get this service which I do not want nor do I need since for the last 8 years I could do that without this new service.

If I no longer want google+ or it becomes compromised and gets deleted, it will also take out my entire youtube channel despite that being a seperate website and service.

The first part was explained above. You're not using a new service. Nothing's changed.

No one complains about any other company having you use a single account to access their services. Why Google?

I get google+ and I now end up having one of my online identities tied to it, it can then be put onto this 'circle' things without my permission.

"But wait you can modderate those circle things"

Why the fuck should I have to do that? Explain to me why for the sake of features which are built into the original site (youtube), that I should I now have to register at a completely different service and begin changing the settings just so I can run the original service.

The first sentence doesn't make sense. I honestly don't understand what you're going on about. You seem to flinging the word "circle" around without actually knowing what it means, resulting in an incomprehensible sentence.

The following two paragraphs are complaining about something that doesn't exist.

Imagine SSMB installed some kind of mass facebook intergration and the only way to change your user settings was to log into Facebook and change the settings there... Thats what this thing has done! You have to modderate your settings on another website, just so you can use what have been default and standard settings for the last 8 years on another.

I join google+ I now have to monitor any 'changes' google+ does to it's TOS since that will influence my youtube channel, as well as my google+ account from now on too as well as other stuff that it's going to link in with.

You're going on about changing settings and moderating things on Google+ instead of YouTube. This is wrong. There are no cases where you need to deal with G+. I have a merged account, and I can confirm that nothing has changed.

Edit: Except for avatars. I forgot about that. Thanks, JezMM.

I now have to RELY on other people to join google+ in order to get an idea as to how I can improve my own videos and content since thats the only way you can leave comments now.

I now have to RELY on other people to join google+ to get in touch with me who have seen my videos, liked something, wanted to offer me something.... I have been sent gifts from people on youtube, I have bought itsems from people on youtube... Every single one of those either used the comment system or the PM service on youtube... You know what they all had in common? Not one of them used google+

Everyone now has to join two seperate websites/services just to perform actions on one site which for 8 years worked completely well without a second service.

Correct. You have to rely on people's ability to click a button.

#hastag comments are in bold so they stand out more which means now your entire comment list will be full of hashtags as people try to get attention#

No character limit in the comments, so now you can get huge spammy comments which people have just posted for the sake of it.

Meh to the first one. I don't like hashtags either, but that change probably would've happened regardless... unsure.png

And I honestly don't see the problem with no character limit in comments. I hated the character limit. This is a huge improvement!

The spam button has far too much power, some mega popular video owners have already reported that nearly 50% of all comments ontheir videos are now marked as spam when they're not, including those of the video owner.

I haven't heard about that, but I believe you. That sucks, but it'll probably be fixed soon.

Edited by Unknownlight

Lol your arguement that you never have to go to Google+ to change settings kind of fell flat when the very first thing I did upon accepting the merge was go onto Google+ and upload a new avatar because it deleted my Youtube Avatar and when I went to upload a new one redirected me to Google+ to do so since they share the avatar.

The sensible thing would be to have an uploader for avatar on both sites.  Even better, not delete my avatar when I merge my account with Google+ golly.

Naturally an avatar is a very small thing but the point is this is completely unnecessary confusion and pointless doubling up of interfaces.  Youtube has always had its own identity, it is very jarring for longtime users to suddenly be having Google accounts forced on them.

Why don't they just rebrand Youtube the new Google Video and be done with it if they're going this way.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Lol your arguement that you never have to go to Google+ to change settings kind of fell flat when the very first thing I did upon accepting the merge was go onto Google+ and upload a new avatar because it deleted my Youtube Avatar and when I went to upload a new one redirected me to Google+ to do so since they share the avatar.

Oh yeah, you're right, I completely forgot about that. That is stupid, but I figured it was a glitch or an oversight, because there's no reason they'd purposely delete your profile picture. I'll actually send that in as a bug report...

Why don't they just rebrand Youtube the new Google Video and be done with it if they're going this way.

That is basically what it's becoming.

You don't have to deal with Google+. You never have to go to the site, or do settings there, or anything. You just have to click "Merge"—to remove all the duplicate accounts—and then choose the option "keep YouTube username". If you keep your username, there will be no public links to your Google+ profile.

That's it. You're done. Congratulations.

I really wish it were that simple. You see, you still DO have to deal with Google+, because that's where all your inbox notifications go to. Not only that, but you'll no longer be notified of videos on your comments, and it only happens when you merge with Google+

The first sentence doesn't make sense. I honestly don't understand what you're going on about. You seem to flinging the word "circle" around without actually knowing what it means, resulting in an incomprehensible sentence.

Well you see, in G+, a circle is a term used to control who sees your posts. (Public, Friends, Family, etc.) If you click "Public" then everyone can see it, including everyone on Google+, and in Google+ ,EVERYONE can see what you do.

And I honestly don't see the problem with no character limit in comments. I hated the character limit. This is a huge improvement!

The character limit is there FOR A REASON, it's to prevent large posts of spam. Why would you want to type more than 500 words onto a YouTube video unless it was for something important? Then again, it's not going to be anything important because it's YOUTUBE.

• Thumbs Up 1

2mcadsi.jpg

nn8mdj.jpg

At least someone here agrees.

Just to let you know. I sign out of this Topic. Was a bad idea to post anything in the first place.

No offence guys but this disscusion is stupid.

Just to make my final standpoint: There's nothing wrong with YouTube and G+ if you use it correctly. Privacy on the internet? If you think so? It makes no difference where you are and what you are doing on the internet. You just can prevent it.. Just don't post any privat stuff on it. Fake your name when ever possible(You can trick G+ as well). And if you don't discuss your whole life on youtube there is no problem with G+ integration.

YouTube got better with G+ comments. Just my opinion.. If you see spam.. ignore it. Don't open the comment if it's a long one.

If you face a problem.. Solve it.. There is always a workaround.

Well that's fine by me. Besides, this is all an opinional topic, and I respect your opinion

EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect this topic to get so popular

Edited by XtremerSadiqachu
  • Thumbs Up 6

So...is there anyone else here who, even after switching to Google +, still can't see the comments section? Am I doing something wrong here or does it just hate me.

Anyways, yeah I agree with the majority here: I think it's absolute bull that I have to switch to Google + to get and leave comments and messages. I really shouldn't have to use something I hate just to see comments when I didn't need to use that something a couple of months ago.

Everyone who has a problem with this:

1. Go to YouTube.com
2. Go to the bottom of the page and hit Send feedback
3. Use the lightbox that pops up to tell Google that you do not like what they have done

They probably won't listen, but it's more likely to be effective than complaining about it here or on other sites.

EDIT: You can also go to a video page and do it, and highlight the part of the page that has a problem.

Edited by Frogging101

Just to let you know. I sign out of this Topic. Was a bad idea to post anything in the first place.

No offence guys but this disscusion is stupid.

Just to make my final standpoint: There's nothing wrong with YouTube and G+ if you use it correctly. Privacy on the internet? If you think so? It makes no difference where you are and what you are doing on the internet. You just can prevent it.. Just don't post any privat stuff on it. Fake your name when ever possible(You can trick G+ as well). And if you don't discuss your whole life on youtube there is no problem with G+ integration.

YouTube got better with G+ comments. Just my opinion.. If you see spam.. ignore it. Don't open the comment if it's a long one.

If you face a problem.. Solve it.. There is always a workaround.

Putting "no offense" before an insult doesn't make it any less of an insult.  That kind of disrespectful tone isn't exactly appreciated here.  If you feel you must resign from this discussion, feel free, but at least show some respect for those who dare to give you legitimate reasons for disagreeing.

As Hogfather already mentioned, however, your argument is otherwise flawed.  You're not solving anything by working around it.  You're just conditioning yourself to something that shouldn't be there in the first place.

YouTube hasn't been around for 10 years, it was sold to them in it's second year and for several years google had it's own video service! I have not needed a google account until very recently when google FORCED account changes onto me about a year ago! 

I do not want nor need every google service, I only want or need to use youtube, a service which has worked perfectly well without these extra services.

And are you actually going to address the point I brought up? That I cannot comment on my own videos, yet I can reply to other people who have google+ even if I don't?

Okay, you're right. My post assumes that you already have a Google account, or that your YouTube account was created past 2007-2008ish, because that fits the majority of people. If you don't, then this change is a bit more of a hassle. And in that case Google is in the wrong for not being as accommodating as they should. I agree with that.

By the way: "I do not want nor need every google service". Even though they're created doesn't mean you have to use them. What's the issue?

Google wants to change something, fine go ahead, please explain why these changes are nessessary and are going to benefit me? So far my comments for the day are down, revenue on my videos is down, interaction with my viewers is down, desire to upload a video is down since I'm now wondering how many of my subscribers have the ability to be notified or will want to engage with me since their ability to do basic interaction has been taken away.

They're not necessary at all. And clearly they didn't benefit you. It benefited me though (I got to change me username). *shrug*

As for the second part, I would blame that on the paranoia surrounding this change, which is exactly the reason why I'm writing these posts in the first place.

Yes you do. Thats the only way you can get the following.

Youtube messages.

Youtube comment management.

Change your youtube avatar (which by getting google+ it wipes.)

Change your privacy settings on your youtube account (which by getting google+ it wipes).

1. ...Which is available as an overlay on top of normal YouTube. You don't have to go anywhere.

2. I'm not sure what you're referring to. www.youtube.com/comment_management is still where I do stuff. Are you referring to something else?

3. I forgot about this in my original post. You're right. They should fix this. 

4. I didn't realize it wiped privacy settings. In what way? That is a problem. I absolutely agree. Still, as for the point about having to go to Google+ to deal with privacy settings...it's technically correct, but misleading. On YouTube, you click Privacy Settings. You are now on a page with a list of privacy settings. If you look at the URL, it says that you're technically now on plus.google.com. Nothing's changed, unless you're a stickler for the exact content of a URL.

So why the fuck should I have to get a google+ account to do that when the feature is still on the website in some form!?

Essentially, because they don't want to keep duplicate functionality around forever.

Try again. You have to rely on people to register on two seperate sites. Not just click a button and you know it.

I tested it before saying that. As long as you have a Google account, and didn't make a YouTube account before around 2007, it takes precisely one click. A few more if want to keep your username.

SASAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

(Extend this for 10,000 lines)

This isn't a problem to you?

That's why long comments are collapsed by default. You have to click "Expand" to see the full comment.

P.S. Two more problems for the pile.

* This change now voids all your email spam filters (huge problem for mega popular youtube users.

* This change now means if you have a shared account, e.g. The TSS YouTube account. You now have to set up and managed a google+ account and then ensure all staff have access to that as well as the youtube one and set up permissions etc... why the hell do we need to do this again?

I didn't know about either of these. You're right, that's awful. I'll send feedback...

Edit 2: Found another HUGE problem with google+

YOU CANNOT DELETE COMMENTS ON YOUR OWN VIDEOS!

You cannot delete ANY comment on your video unless YOU have google+ This includes any comments made before yesterdays update!

Utterly fucking stupid.

I suspect we're not going to change each other's mind, so it's kinda pointless arguing. I've said what I wanted to, so I'm done now...

Essentially, because they don't want to keep duplicate functionality around forever.

The obvious response is why did Google automatically implement all of that useless Facebook knockoff functionality to someone who just wants to look at videos of people getting hit in the crotch with baseballs; and why are those people being leaned on as a result of Google's big splash on the market ultimately being nothing more than a raindrop.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really felt offented by you to be honest..

(And it can be really possible, that I chose the wrong words. You know.. English isn't my native language)

Neither Akito nor anyone else in this thread can be held responsible for taking your posts as they were written, language barrier or not.

Well. Where I come from "no offense"(not a direct translation)  makes things less of an insult.. And I really didn't want to insult anyone.. I just don't spam my post with happy faces and another argument after another to make really sure you don't feel offended.

And to assume someone is disrispectfull, just because you don't really see what someone is about, this is just rude.

To my arguments. I just held them short. I really have not time to explain every single aspect of it.

I am pretty sure you guys can think for yourself. And that were understandable arguments.

And I was not about to say "something" to make my argument just for the sake of it. I was serious...

I was not about to offend anyone.. Neither did I post here "just because".

I really felt offented by you to be honest..

(And it can be really possible, that I chose the wrong words. You know.. English isn't my native language)

I said you were being disrespectful because you called the conversation "stupid," which, even when you add "no offense," shows a clear intent to devalue the opinions stated in this thread.  There are times when "no offense" shows a meaningful intent to be honest without being hostile, but in this instance it's no different than the ever-so-popular "I'm not racist, but <insert something extremely racist here>."

I did not say you posted here "just because," or that I didn't understand where you coming from.  Putting words in people's mouth isn't exactly appreciated either, but I'm letting it slide because I'm willing to believe there was a clear misunderstanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is hilarious. I send feedback, but I can't even take a screen shot of the comments section to prove my point.

• Thumbs Up 1

So everytime I click a time marker in a comment it opens a new tab and starts the same video from the beginning...

Brillant Google...

Just fucking brillant...

• Thumbs Up 4

Though this new system is total bullshit (have a Google+ account to use YouTube? What?) I don't really comment on videos anyway, so I wouldn't say it affected me much. What I WILL miss the most is going to videos and seeing the top liked comments. They're just all over the place now sadly, but before this, those two top comments would be really insightful/funny/intelligent/agreeable for the most part. I'd go on the actual pages for videos just to see 'em, but now...

This is hilarious. I send feedback, but I can't even take a screen shot of the comments section to prove my point.

Oh thank god, I thought it was just my computer.

Though this new system is total bullshit (have a Google+ account to use YouTube? What?) I don't really comment on videos anyway, so I wouldn't say it affected me much. What I WILL miss the most is going to videos and seeing the top liked comments. They're just all over the place now sadly, but before this, those two top comments would be really insightful/funny/intelligent/agreeable for the most part. I'd go on the actual pages for videos just to see 'em, but now...

This all the way. How am I supposed to know if I got Top Comment if EVERY OTHER COMMENT GETS TOP COMMENT?!?!?

Yes, you can. I don't know what you do in this international www, but I try to understand what someone tries to say if he is from another country and he "tries hard" to be understandable. And if someone is not aware that he was rude, but then another calling stuff at him - he is aware of this now - "someone" is tring to point out that this was not right - "another" is still rude, this is for me not accaptable.

For "stupid" there are several words for it in german, some are offensive some are not, but there is only one word in english that I am aware of, and that's "stupid". I didn't choose the offensive one.. And this wasn't on purpose. And combine german non offensive "stubit" with "no offence" is not rude here. So this really wasn't on purpose.

To that "just because" argument.

It really seemed like some of you really thinks that. I am aware of, that some ppl do this. And it looked like you guys thought I'm am that case. Espeacially if you look at my post counter. It is very popullar that "newcomers" get treated differently in a lot of forums. You can think I am one of them, that have nothing to loose and starts a fight.

Just to make this clear.. I am sorry if you got really offented by the word "stupid" or anything else.

But I have to say.. This all seems just wrong. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong here.

First, although I could probably have reason to assume, there's no way I can just know that English isn't your first language.  So when I see a word that has a disrespectful connotation, of course I'm going to do my job and address it.

Second, the word "stupid" in English has a pretty strong connotation, especially in text form.  Since you did mention that English was not your first language, I decided to forgive it as a misunderstanding, hence I did not issue a strike.

Third, the only thing you're doing "wrong" right now is making an issue of the matter.  I merely told you to be change your tone, nothing more.  With that said, I will not publicly entertain this discussion anymore.  If you still feel this matter needs to be settled, you're welcome to PM me.  But now I'm asking that we all return to the topic at hand.  That is, the Google+ and YouTube integration.

• Thumbs Up 3

ycgkVgV.jpg

Hmmmmmm...

What dammit? Do we need Google+ to complain too?

Edited by Abominal Taz
  • Thumbs Up 2