Awoo.

Speculation Thread: The Third Wii U Exclusive Sonic Title

Narukami07

I think they'll be doing All Stars games in regular intervals of two years. All Stars Racing was 2010 and Transformed was 2012, so a new All Stars game in 2014 would make sense.

Transformed looked to be a better, more improved ASR, however, so I don't think a third racer would really have as much wow factor. While Steve Lycette teased a Sonic/Mario racer, he's notorious for trolling the fanbase from my experience with him. Case in point: at Sonic Boom 2012, he mentioned the desire for a fighting game, only to say that everyone in the UK wanted a soccer game instead.

It is my sincere hope they really do make a fighting game. But with Sonic making it into Smash 4 and the close ties with Nintendo now... I'm doubtful they'd want to step on Nintendo's toes by making a competitor. ...unless Mario got to star in this theoretical fighter, thus drawing in Mario fans and giving more royalties to Nintendo?

I can guarantee I will not buy any soccer game, though.

I honestly don't expect it to be another spin-off title, if only due to how tight-lipped they've been when it comes to talking about it. Spin-off titles have usually been announced or released alongside the main releases, such as M&S with Unleashed, SatSR with 06, and the various handheld games with their respective games. If SEGA had no problem announcing those spinoffs alongside the mains, and still don't with M&S2014 and SLW, why are they so tight-lipped about this one specifically?

I honestly am hoping and thinking it might just be a direct sequel to Lost World. If such were the case, SEGA would still at this point, have time to implement tweaks and improvements based on reception and feedback from fans and critics, not to mention, it would explain why they've been so tight-lipped about it, so as not to ruin the ending of Lost World for people.

Edited by Jovahexeon

The only two games I don't want to see is another

Sonic 4 or a Storybook game.

I never bought any sonic 4 because it's not that interesting and only tried Sonic & the black knight which is okay but not good enough to get another storybook.

Reason why I don't want sonic 4: it's probably going to be a short game most likely but they caqn change it up to make a really good game but I don't see that happening, if sonic 4 is the case waiting a year for it probably won't be worth it since it'll last you an hour, probably less.

Better games that would work on the Wii U

Sonic Riders U

Mario and Sonic what ever type of game they have (platforming, Racing, party, sport)

Main Sonic game (lost world gameplay)

A new type of Sonic spin-off 

Edited by jordine

I wouldn't mind another storybook because (maybe I'm the only one?) I enjoy the unique settings and stories these games bring. SATBK's cutscenes were amazing, even if the game itself wasn't so good.

The only part that's bad is that they tend to shoehorn a random gimmick. Hopefully they learned not to do this anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

I want wild west sonic with dual pistol action as the next storybook game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want wild west sonic with dual pistol action as the next storybook game.

EH, I love westerns, but Pirates aught to be next!

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind a peter pan based storybook game.

I'm hoping for Harry Potter...

• Thumbs Up 1

Paaaaause, its strictly Wii U? Oh well, guess i'll be playin SLW 3DS till the next handheld Sonic comes out =P

Paaaaause, its strictly Wii U? Oh well, guess i'll be playin SLW 3DS till the next handheld Sonic comes out =P

Most likely, since the Wii-U can use all the support it can get

I could do with some Top Gear.

Yeah... I can see it now...

The levels are based on The Great Adventures the presenters have done, and Sonic needs to beat them. The presenters are not happy with this, and turn to Eggman to stop him. If Sonic, Tails and Shadow manage to beat the presenters' times at doing the challenges, then the presenters will get replaced by Sonic and co.

So in other words, a storybook game that involves cars, motorbikes, and sleds.

It hasn't been announced that the third game will be Wii U only, at least as far as I'm aware.  It could be Wii U only, it could be 3DS only, it could be both.  Unless it's a totally new spin-off series by a different developer, though, I doubt it'll be 3DS-only, as I assume Dimps will have been too busy with SLW 3DS to have a new major 3DS title out for early-to-mid-2014.

I'd also guess that any subseries that hasn't had a new entry in over three years is dead in the water, so no Rush, Riders, or Storybook.  Sonic 4 is also likely off the table, and not just because Episode 2 wasn't on Nintendo consoles - although I guess there's an outside chance of something like a "Sonic 4 Complete Edition" with Episode 2 done up for Wii U and an all-new third episode packaged with it.  Again, there's the question of who'd have been working on this, though.

So I guess I'll put my money on either a new All-Stars game or a totally new spin-off series.  I'm genuinely curious as to what it will be, though.  It's really rather mysterious, even if that mystery is only the mystery of nobody saying anything about it so as not to draw attention away from the LW and Olympics releases.

If it was a storybook game - with something like Peter Pan or Alice in Wonderland... Then I could definitely get behind the idea.

It could be a sequel to Lost World. It'd explain a bit about the ending...

... Though, I'd really enjoy it if it was a game that had similarities to comic books. You know, pointillism cutscenes, bosses being overly cartoony like the Silver Age of Comics, a joke about ShtH or 06 as the 'bad age of comics', Sonic's movements being accented with 'ZOOM!' or 'BAM!' or 'KAPOW!'

• Thumbs Up 4

Probably just a coincidence, though I wouldn't be against another Riders game...as long as it's good.

• Thumbs Up 1

So Lost World recycled Zero Gravity sounds for the menu.

...hint hint?

Tomonori Sawada just did the sound effects, and he worked on the Riders series doing the same along with some music. He doesn't normally work on main Sonic games though. The last time he did that was with sound effects for Heroes.

If they can revive a main title series after a decade (horribly, but they still tried), I wouldn't entirely rule out Riders or the Storybooks, but since SEGA's established it likes to erase badly-received games from existence, I ponder if they'd be willing to do that at all.

I think any spinoff would safely be All Stars accordingly, between the great ratings the last two games got (they're some of the best received Sonic titles in years) and the fact it fits the two year scheme. As I mentioned before, though... I'm really praying they go with something besides racing.

Though who knows, it could be another main title, but it'd likely be very short. SEGA could also do something radical and release a spinoff in 2014, a spinoff in 2015, and release a really big anniversary title in 2016.

Edited by Ogilvie

They released a Riders game right before Sonic Colors.

I don't think they will shelve the series.

They released a shitty gimmicky joke of a Riders game right before Colors. It might just become their go to series whenever some new gimmick catches on. 

Now that they have the ASR games, they don't really need Riders.

• Thumbs Up 1

They released a shitty gimmicky joke of a Riders game right before Colors. It might just become their go to series whenever some new gimmick catches on. 

While I do love ASR I still don't want to see riders go mostly because im still hoping for a riders thats as good as the first one.

My top picks for the 3rd game:

1. Sonic Adventure 3, Everyone's dream game if they adored SA1 and 2 (helps of course loads of Nintendo fans were introduced to the series with them).

2. Sonic Heroes 2, it was the closest to SA3 and I honestly really liked it, not as much, but it still had its charm and I love playing as other characters. Wasn't a huge fan of essentially playing each stage 4 times though...

3. Sonic Riders 4, they're my fav spin-offs at least on consoles (Battle is probably my top spin-off), and I'd LOVE to see a full-fledged effort on Wii U from the ground-up, you can tell Free Riders was scaled back, they knew if was going to stink and sell like piss being on Kinect exclusively. I mean the story is in portraits! I will say I will miss 4Kids here, as it was the only series to begin and get an official sequel (ZG) with them. Feels kind of awkward without them in the Riders series.

Edited by Hero of Legend
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah. They have a racer that is well-reviewed and a racer that isn't so well-reviewed. Since SEGA likes to remove badly-reviewed titles from circulation, I can see them getting rid of Riders for this reason alone.