Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

Wish it was english dubbed, but its been outstanding so far.

EDIT: Felt the need to add that I'm well aware it hasn't had time to yet be dubbed. Doesn't change anything, however. Still would like something like this hitting Toonami, etc.

Edited by Cyalume

I also fully expect to see that Trap Developer lady appear in future episodes as a big villain. She seems a little too nuts to just let an expulsion go like that.

I really hope she becomes this show's Starscream.

She got expelled though! expelllleeeeed!

Really fucking funny episode. The use of classical music reminded me of old cartoons, and the super cheap ass animation actually made the whole thing funnier, I think.

That whole scene with the gigantic shootout was amazing! and the repeating bike crashes were wayyyy funnier than they should of been. This show continues to brighten my life everytime I see it :'D

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally caught the latest ep.

Holy crap. This has to be the most fun I've ever had watching an anime in quite a while... and this is like, what? the 4th ep?

I really can't wait for the next episode.

I have to admit, my favourite part of episode 4 was when Senketsu willingly stops the trap developer girl and Ryuko is all...

tumblr_mv7ncrnWJ81qdmrf4o1_500.gif

tumblr_mv7ncrnWJ81qdmrf4o2_500.gif

Fucking creased, I couldn't stop laughing at her expressions.

Edited by Super SpOoOokio
  • Thumbs Up 7

She got expelled though! expelllleeeeed!

Really fucking funny episode. The use of classical music reminded me of old cartoons, and the super cheap ass animation actually made the whole thing funnier, I think.

That whole scene with the gigantic shootout was amazing! and the repeating bike crashes were wayyyy funnier than they should of been. This show continues to brighten my life everytime I see it :'D

Bunch of everyone shooting at an armored bus?  Pretty sure i've seen this movie. 

I have to admit, my favourite part of episode 4 was when Senketsu willingly stops the trap developer girl and Ryuko is all...

Fucking creased, I couldn't stop laughing at her expressions.

Yeah that's a Fist of the North Star reference for sure.  Even her phraseology in that scene is right outta FotNS.  

And they played the transformation sequence in fast forward!  That really got me for some reason.  

So another episode just aired and it definitely went back to serious mode after last weeks quick comedy relief.

First off - Tsumugu is a badass. It was nice to see someone else on the more 'heroic' side also being technically an antagonist. His heart is in the right place and judging by the quick flashback the Kamui are incredibly dangerous, possibly even turning people into monsters. It is obvious he didn't want to kill Ryuko - and I suspect a lot of that also comes into play that I'm sure he has a relation to her father.

It was also really cool to see Nonon co-ordinate that whole plan and not just rush in like all the other generals have. She knew that Satsuki was going to want the combat data and plan ahead for a different battle, as taking on Tsumugu head on would only result in them losing. Hell Ryuko even had a hard time with him and she's been taking out the club leaders like nothing as of late.

I also loved Mako's moment in this episode and the more I see of her doing that, the more 'serious' she is getting at these moments. I have a really really bad feeling that she is going to go the way of Kamina but I'd love to be proven wrong. However that would be a good catalyst for Ryuko losing it entirely and possibly becoming the 'monster' that Tsumugu had predicted. Ryuko does seem at times to be getting a little villainous in nature herself, which is also refreshing to see for me in an anime because usually the protagonist is super goody two shoes and the power never goes to their head.

I mean essentially Ryuko is on a revenge quest, not exactly the most purest of intentions after all. I mean at this point I am just speculating as I'm trying to figure out just where the hell these guys are going with this at this point since the show can still go in a number of ways.

Last point I liked was that they aren't overdoing the whole CLUB LEADER OF THE WEEK type thing. They kept it minimal, still showed that that pressure is on from them all - but it wasn't the focus. Throwing Tsumugu into the mix was a good choice because the club leader of the week deal would have gotten old by now and it'd have mostly felt like filler I believe. Now that we sort of have this background presence waiting there, even if the club leader of the week thing began again there is always that 'tension' there. I have a feeling though the other generals that Satsuki has in her command though are simply now going to have a much bigger role now that we are steadily approaching the halfway point of the season.

So yeah, thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Kill La Kill gave me the feels this episode.

I can't help but feel all sorts of emotion when Ryuko was hugging a now powerless Senketsu. :'(

Yeah, this new episode was pretty spectacular. Seems this won't quite be 'monster of the week' fare after all.

So the resistance group is called Nudist Beach. This explains so much.

They're really going all-out with the whole clothing theme.

Yeah, this new episode was pretty spectacular. Seems this won't quite be 'monster of the week' fare after all.

So the resistance group is called Nudist Beach.

This explains so much.

They're really going all-out with the whole clothing theme.

Suddenly I'm thinking so much of Panty & Stocking lol

Just watched the latest episode.

It's a very serious episode, a lot like last week.  Glowing nipples aside.  We also see some backstory on Satsuki's inner circle.  Sanageyama is shaping up to be a pretty awesome character, I can't wait to see more of him.

It seems we were wrong about Sanageyama.

He's just as loyal to Satsuki than the others, even going as far as sacrificing his vision for a second chance at pleasing her, his goku uniform is fucking beastly too.

If there's one thing I like about this anime, it's that the main character isn't some demi-god unbeatable character like most anime like this, she gets beaten to a pulp and generally loses because of her own ego and self confidence in beating everyone each time she unlocks a new tier to Senketsu, she feels invincible and she becomes reckless thinking the same approach will work all the time, I hope she wises up some time in the future because it's her own ignorance that is landing her in these positions, it seems lately she's just getting knocked around, which is good because this puts my worries at ease knowing the 3 star captains are indeed going to be an incredible threat to Ryuko and not just a slightly stronger version of a 2 star.

It's too early to tell how this will end up going, because Trigger have a habit of changing shit up all the time so I'm staying sceptical of what I think will happen in future episodes for now.

However seems like next weeks episode is going to be more filler surrounding Mako's family, kinda needed really when the show has just dropped two megatons on us

So we finally got focus on Satsuki's elite four a bit. I really like learning about their origins. They have an interesting story to tell.

I won't go in depth with it as much other than WOW did I really enjoy episode 6. I really really liked this one. Everything since episode 3 though has been incredible imo, and I am definitely getting more and more hyped each week. While there are definitely shades of Gurren in here I feel this is totally its own thing.

Holy shit, that episode was amazing.

I also like that this show isn't afraid to have its protagonist lose a fight without turning the tables on her opponent by the end of the episode - hell, arguably, the episode's protagonist was Sanageyama rather than Ryukou.

Despite having a lot of good things to say about the show I find it pretty ridiculous that we're six episodes in with there already being screen time devoted to paint characters such as Sanageyama having deep exposition with Satsuki in order to make us like them more. It's incredibly cheeky of the show to assume I actually care about these characters that much because up until now it's done a pretty terrible job in painting the antagonists as being anything other than unlikable, evil dictator assholes. There's not a single redeeming quality about any of them. I like the general idea how it's going for a bit of a Batman approach in making all the villains be characters who serve no other purpose than bringing out the worst qualities in the protagonist, who in turn has to learn from their encounters, but part of the reason it usually works is because the characters are so anarchic and independent, while here they just serve the bitch ice queen for no other reason than she's the most powerful one, and possibly because she's another "daddy's favorite rich girl".

I think this is why Episode 4 was my favorite because the antagonist of that episode actually had an agenda and a plan that was removed from anything else in the series. Episode 1 and 2 were pretty good too because you figure characters like those just wouldn't know any better. As it stands I think the biggest reason I'm watching this show right now is because I can't wait for Ryuko to throw Satsuki off of her high horse.

• Thumbs Up 2

Despite having a lot of good things to say about the show I find it pretty ridiculous that we're six episodes in with there already being screen time devoted to paint characters such as Sanageyama having deep exposition with Satsuki in order to make us like them more. It's incredibly cheeky of the show to assume I actually care about these characters that much because up until now it's done a pretty terrible job in painting the antagonists as being anything other than unlikable, evil dictator assholes. There's not a single redeeming quality about any of them. I like the general idea how it's going for a bit of a Batman approach in making all the villains be characters who serve no other purpose than bringing out the worst qualities in the protagonist, who in turn has to learn from their encounters, but part of the reason it usually works is because the characters are so anarchic and independent, while here they just serve the bitch ice queen for no other reason than she's the most powerful one, and possibly because she's another "daddy's favorite rich girl".

I think this is why Episode 4 was my favorite because the antagonist of that episode actually had an agenda and a plan that was removed from anything else in the series. Episode 1 and 2 were pretty good too because you figure characters like those just wouldn't know any better. As it stands I think the biggest reason I'm watching this show right now is because I can't wait for Ryuko to throw Satsuki off of her high horse.

One of the main reasons for it being so short is that this is not a full fledged anime. Like Gurren or any short series for that matter. It has no original backing so it is coming off shorter and thus they are trying to cram as much into it that they can.

I guess I'm on a different wavelength - I actually really like the villains? I want to know more about them. I loved seeing the bit with Sanageyama and Satsuki meeting up. Even if they are completely detestable in their actions I like knowing who these villains actually are - what their connection is to Satsuki - what makes them a cut above the others in the school. I do like how each and every one of them believes in some way that what they are doing is the right thing to do, even if said reasons are incredibly twisted. But overall I actually think as far as evil dictator assholes go I've been enjoying the villain cast and cannot wait to see each of their transformations come into play.

I don't really expect these villains either to be more like the anarchistic villains of Batman either - because the tables are flipped here compared to that. Having them represent anarchy would go against the premise already built up. Ryuko is the anarchism in this society. She is also there with intentions that are not heroic at all - she is out for revenge and thus disrupting an already established system to take out someone she believes is responsible for the death of someone she cared about. She isn't there to save the day because it is the right thing to do, or that she really wants to protect anyone else (one exception being Mako, but even then its Mako saving Ryuko). Hell her ego is already taking control of her and if she isn't careful I can see her crossing very easily into morally grey areas. Even Batman had a set of rules to go by when saving people of Gotham City, he was a little more meticulous and well thought out and he in general wanted to stop criminals as a whole. That sort of premise lends itself well to more disconnected and independent villains. Batman resembles more of the structure and order of a society than his villains do, Ryuko doesn't. She's the one causing trouble, even if the society itself is despicable.

Meanwhile Satsuki and her elite four all represent honour, discipline, and structure. It makes sense to me that the four elite that are chosen to stand alongside her are going to be those she can trust with keeping that order. Its the lower ranked officials such as the Trap Developer that you have to watch out for because they are most certainly going to look for ways to climb the ladder (which is why even though she was expelled I am fully expecting her to return...lets not forget she donned a Kamui and survived). The elite four cannot attain any more power than what they have unless they overthrow Satsuki - which why should they? They're treated well and are pretty much given free reign on their specific areas as long as it serves the purpose Satsuki has in mind. Seeing as she hand picked them all, it makes sense to me that their thoughts all line up. I just think that by having the villains be a lot more independent and anarchistic they'd blend way too much with Ryuko and wouldn't act as an interesting foil. It is very similar to the way Gurren Lagann set its villains up only this time they're fleshing out these characters instead. Whether you like them or hate them is a different story though.

However, despite all that -  I am just waiting for the inevitable point where everything gets turned on its head, I don't believe it is going to be played completely straight the entire way through. I also don't expect you to agree with me on this, I can see where you're coming from and I respect that - I just wanted to provide a counterpoint since I see it differently.

Edited by Meow
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I ought to clarify - perhaps the biggest reason I imagine the villain setup is such a prominent one in general fiction aside from KLK is because usually it's great to envision a scenario where the villain actually succeeds, and so far I don't get the sense that it would actually be fun to watch these guys win because they really don't have any redeemable qualities or are even interesting in a sociopath kind of way. Batman might have been an unfair comparison so here's a better one - Scott Pilgrim. All of the antagonists of that series serve under one guy, but they're not only a colorful cast of characters, they each have their own agendas and things that can at least create some good sub plots that run independent of their given roles. A couple of the antagonists are actually decent guys who actually manage to generally have some down-to-earth moments with the protagonist, or even the female lead. Even then, watching these guys beat the hell out of the protagonist is actually fun in and of it's own because some of them are a lot more complicated and relatable than the protagonist is.

So far I don't get the sense that KLK is managing any of that. You can still have servants be interesting but a one-minute flashback which is basically a "I fought you and lost" subplot is about as shallow as it gets since it was the chance they had to prove that Satsuki might just be more than meets the eye, and all they could come with was that she was still the same person back then as she is now with people submitting to her because of her skills. If that's supposed to make me more interested in the relationship between the lead antagonist and one of her subordinates when Satsuki has been painted as nothing more than an ice queen dictator then I feel it's kind of a half-assed job. If the series wants me to like them more why can't they do something other than just jump onto Ryuko for a fight?

They're all just so stuck-up to me, especially Nonon. I feel like this is almost assuredly playing up for a Gurren Lagann-style twist because I refuse to believe that a villain so one-note as Satsuki will be the target until the very end, but I still feel like Gurren Lagann might have the upper hand for a twist set up if only because in that series we didn't actually know anything about Lord Genome until Simon faced off against him, as everyone else the leads faced up until then were just subordinates blindly following orders.

I liked his eyes ._.

That bandana is totally the wrong colour ._.

Sanageyamaaaa whyyyyy couldn't you had just bounded your eyes rather than stitch them in a ridiculous fashion .____.

One of the main reasons for it being so short is that this is not a full fledged anime. Like Gurren or any short series for that matter. It has no original backing so it is coming off shorter and thus they are trying to cram as much into it that they can.

Time for an unfair comparison: Cowboy Bebop.  They were able to set up and pay off villains in the same episode.  They also had developing villains.  They had time for all this.

They also have this nasty habit of showing (not setting up) villains and expecting us to be interested in them when they finally get around to having them do something.  

I liked his eyes ._.

That bandana is totally the wrong colour ._.

Sanageyamaaaa whyyyyy couldn't you had just bounded your eyes rather than stitch them in a ridiculous fashion .____.

Then it wouldn't have been dramatic.  Of course this is kind of reasoning as to why new New Star Trek is written the way it is.  They need to make an action movie so they just break up the chain of command and have the bridge crew go and do everything themselves.  If the problems are really so big, wouldn't they end up dealing with them anyway?  That tied back here, wouldn't a blindfold have made more sense and been easier?  They try to paint him as some kind of badass who gives up everything for satsuki because satsuki, but end up just looking like an idiot.  

And this episodes action...   That was meant to be action, right?  "I can't be beaten!"  "I can beat you!"  "Now I can beat you!"  More and more this show's fights remind of JoJo if JoJo were terrible.  And I'm sorry, Shonen genre, I can only watch the protagonist fighting through the pain so many times.  

And someone need to tell him that plastic sports gear isn't real armor.