Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

I infer from Mike Pollock's comments that anyone who assumes the show will be completely silly or dumb is wrong. Sure, he could have just been paying lip service, but it sounds like the fandom reaction as a whole is dead wrong based on his comment that he's "laughing" and I think he even explicitly said people are incorrect about it.

Which leads me to be hopeful that despite the comedic nature, there's actually going to be something neat about this. 52 episodes does leave a lot of room for multi-parters, after all.

There's been several franchises over the years with plenty of humor despite their serious nature - as memory serves, Metal Gear is fond of this. It's amazing how much plot you can cram into a 10 minute episode, so I'm optimistic.

With my continuity question, I was just pondering if they'd use any of the established game elements, or create their own backstories and the like.

• Thumbs Up 3

Whoa, this show has Mark Banker as a developer? That makes me slightly more optimistic for Boom's tone- His Danny Phantom/Adventure Time episodes with a pretty equal focus on action and comedy were what I was imagining when hearing about this.

Not totally sold, but Banker's name makes me a bit more hopeful for this.

He did Danny Phantom? That gives me a LOT more hope for this show overall. Loved that cartoon, was really sad when it ended.

Ohhh, if the developer of Sonic Boom has worked on Adventure Time then this might not be as awful as I thought it would be. Might turn out that everybody jumped to conclusions about this show.

Might turn out that everybody jumped to conclusions about this show.

I think that's an understatement. tongue.png

Mike Pollock's input on the matter really does say a lot despite how little he actually said about it. It sounds like this show actually is a lot better than it's being given credit for... but hey, any fandom prides itself on being pessimistic about every detail, doesn't it?

I guess you can understand why people are a bit pessimistic about the show considering things lately that have gone on with Sega and Sonic. People have only recently started seeing Sonic being given better stories that aren't super simple or all jokes and such. Then you have the fact that Knuckles has been going downhill a bit lately and then that shadowish screenshot for the shot makes Knuckles to be going even further down that road of nothing but dumb muscles, especially when you see the show is going to have some comedy in it.

If Mike thinks we are all overreacting, then yes that might say a lot. He is one of the longest staying actors in this series at this point I'm pretty sure and likely has a pretty good understanding of what may be going on as well. You can have any sonic stuff without him usually anyway, at least as long as he is still the one doing the acting, so he would be one of the people most in the loop of things.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I heard on Project 24, he must have had quite a good grasp of the show's material, given that he was flown there without any knowledge that he'd be recording anything and yet he still says he's "laughing" at people's reactions (presumably) and that the overall perception is wrong.

Insight, or just the usual lip service someone who's working on a project will say? You decide.

I'm hoping we at least get a short trailer or concept art prior to the formal release date... I'd like if they'd show us the actual character models if nothing else.

I love Mike, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll take his words with a grain of salt.  For one, as mentioned, he could just very well be trying to make the show sound good.  Second, his opinion is a tad biased considered he's actually a part of the show's creation.

• Thumbs Up 5

I love Mike, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll take his words with a grain of salt.  For one, as mentioned, he could just very well be trying to make the show sound good.  Second, his opinion is a tad biased considered he's actually a part of the show's creation.

On the other hand, he's also usually aloof about Sonic stuff; he regularly reminds people that to him it's more or less just a job and he doesn't actually care much for the Sonic franchise. He's fairly down to earth in that regard, so who knows - maybe he isn't just BSing his way through it all after all.

While I'm iffy about Knuckles, cause who wouldn't be, I wanna see this.

I also hope that, if they have a theme song, they get Crush 40 to do it. Because that'd be awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

On the other hand, he's also usually aloof about Sonic stuff; he regularly reminds people that to him it's more or less just a job and he doesn't actually care much for the Sonic franchise. He's fairly down to earth in that regard, so who knows - maybe he isn't just BSing his way through it all after all.

It's not surprising to hear that he feels the fanbase is overreacting then, when it's just another cartoon to him. He's unlikely to care about how much the show resembles the series as we know it and therefore I'm unlikely to trust his opinion of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess then you have one of two options. Do you trust his opinion to where he does think people have the wrong impression of the show, or does he simply consider it another job and he just wants people to hush up and people aren't that far off from what is real.

I kinda don't blame him, and it's sorta silly to expect people who work on a franchise, especially a long running one like Sonic, to actually be fans too. Not that there aren't some ascended fanboys in the house (notably on the comic), but they're few and far between. I don't think that means they wouldn't put effort into what they do, but that's their job. As is hyping the stuff they're in; you can't cash a paycheck from the people who hired you and then talk shit when you're still employed by them.

I don't really have anything to say about "Sonic Boom" that hasn't already been said, because I'd have to see what they're planning. I'm keeping my expectations low because, from what's been revealed, I'm not with it on a concept level, but I may end up enjoying it (same deal with "The Looney Tunes Show"). I do have to take a step back knowing that the producer for "Adventure Time" is involved... but I think I've said my piece about not liking "Adventure Time" in the least. Oh well, it's already 2014; guess we'll see what happens in the Fall. Worse comes to worse, and the first couple episodes don't hook me... I won't watch it. No big deal.

EDIT: I can't believe I mixed up "there," "they're," and "their" multiple times in this post. Come on, brain!

Edited by Zaysho

I guess then you have one of two options. Do you trust his opinion to where he does think people have the wrong impression of the show, or does he simply consider it another job and he just wants people to hush up and people aren't that far off from what is real.

I think the problem is that he may be right in saying we have the "wrong impression" of the show, but it could still be completely unfavorable nevertheless. XP  - Like, it's not a terrible show for this reason, it's a terrible show for some other reason!

This is so far from being official that it doubles over and becomes my new pipe dream for this series. Drop your pitchforks and laugh with me for a minute. 

Honestly, I feel that the Sonic cast could benefit from a little unorthodox silliness like this. For a series that as of late has so hard to be an action-comedy as it is, the majority of the cast are as one-dimensional as can be. Even if the Sonic Boom turns out to be complete garbage, it should at least TRY to flesh out its characters beyond what we already have. 

tumblr_myvhteA90S1qiz705o1_500.png

Ian Flynn said that over 70% of this stuff is fake and you could figure out what wasn't.

I kinda wish it was really, Shadow wearing a Hawaiian shirt with sunglasses sounds like the best fucking idea ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 9

Aside from a few of the weirder elements, I think I could've rolled with those ideas, actually. It's worlds away from any canon that we've known before, but considering it as its own thing, the overall premise isn't terrible, and most of the characters sound like reasonable interpretations of their basic archetype.

I kinda feel a little bit more assured about the series because of Mink Pollock's opinion. He is pretty straightfoward and has criticized even his own works to death. I saw him once at an anime convention, and he listed his greatest works and his dumbest works. He seems like a trustworthy source to me, So i will take his word for it. However, I do feel a little bit discouraged about knuckles still

Knuckles, the most mellow and spiritual of the group, unless you manage to tick him off, then he’s out of control. Very trusting and gullible, will often be fooled by disguises nobody else would fall for. Guardian of the Master Emerald, the main time portal, honestly not very good at his job, but he tries. 
Wears bandages on his knuckles and skinny jeans.

... I am sure glad that character description is fake!... Knuckles sounds like a hippy. tongue.png... and I certainly can't see him being the skinny jean type.. :P I think he would wear cargo's to carry his treasures around in :), but that is just my opinion :).

Aside from a few of the weirder elements, I think I could've rolled with those ideas, actually. It's worlds away from any canon that we've known before, but considering it as its own thing, the overall premise isn't terrible, and most of the characters sound like reasonable interpretations of their basic archetype.

Yeah, in all honesty some of it sounds fairly reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was an accurate guess, or maybe it really is someone working on the show who made up a lot of it but is genuinely hinting at the show at the same time??

Those interpretations sound way more interesting than what we currently got, without deviating too far from canon(aside from Silver, but he was going nowhere anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk