Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

The question is, were cameras allowed into the room?

Assuming there were in fact showings of the show, there are sometimes very strict rules on recording...

Furthermore, this was at a brand licensing expo; most of the attendees would thus be professional businessmen who wouldn't want to break the rules, or record footage for that matter.

We'll likely need to just wait for an official release in a few months' time. sad.png

Yeah, I figured as much, who knows though, we might get lucky.

after all, it's not like Sega are immune to leaks :P

Edited by Graf Orlok

Cameras were not allowed into the room. There is absolutely no question about that.

And any attendee was almost certainly a businessperson and not a diehard fan who will leak what they saw to any of the various fansites.

We'll just have to wait for the clips to be released publicly, but if they were shown to possible business partners, that would mean they are obviously polished enough to be displayed publicly. Now we play the waiting game of SEGA releasing such publicly (either via themselves or Cartoon Network) or through leaks.

Probably the latter.

I think pilot material shown to potential licensing partners rarely ever gets made public, unfortunately for us but sensibly in general.  It's prototype material designed to give an idea of licensing partners they would be buying, which has somewhat different requirements to a promotional campaign for a general release.  To take the Ghostbusters example Hogfather's linked, it appears to have been made in 1986 and become publicly available as DVD bonus material in 2009, twenty-three years later.  On the other hand, a marketing trailer for the Digimon Xros Wars dub was put online almost a year ahead of it airing, but it was clearly not made for public consumption and the completed dub had several differences to it, which is the kind of recipe for futile and inaccurate complaining that would suit Sonic Boom well, I think.

I think pilot material shown to potential licensing partners rarely ever gets made public, unfortunately for us but sensibly in general.  It's prototype material designed to give an idea of licensing partners they would be buying, which has somewhat different requirements to a promotional campaign for a general release.  To take the Ghostbusters example Hogfather's linked, it appears to have been made in 1986 and become publicly available as DVD bonus material in 2009, twenty-three years later.  On the other hand, a marketing trailer for the Digimon Xros Wars dub was put online almost a year ahead of it airing, but it was clearly not made for public consumption and the completed dub had several differences to it, which is the kind of recipe for futile and inaccurate complaining that would suit Sonic Boom well, I think.

A point I want to bring up is that pilot material also can drastically differ in design from the ending work, especially if shown to test audiences beforehand.

Maybe the weird designs with the silhouettes won't be the final designs after all? Who knows how many test audiences they have ran the pilot with.

Edited by Scheming Minor

While that used to be the case it's a lot more common what with internet leaks and DVD extras etc for pilot material to be made public. In terms of something as high profile like this, it'd be more surprising if this DIDN'T find it's way online at some point.

I guess my attitude has softened up a bit toward this show. The Knuckles design is still several levels of awful, but who knows, perhaps it will fit whatever the tone of this show may be. Using CG animation is also a step in the right direction, hand drawn would have worked fine too but I'm sure the animation itself will look great. They're also using the current game voice cast, so I guess I can give it points for that.

One thing I really want to see come out of this show is holiday episodes. I'm just aching for a Halloween and Christmas special episode, and you really can't go wrong trying that with Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Even though this show has been confirmed to be a comedy, i'm hoping there still be some bits of action here and there.

Well, it's described as an "action comedy," which is such a vague description that it can mean just about anything, but I'm sure there will be action bits.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, it's described as an "action comedy," which is such a vague description that it can mean just about anything, but I'm sure there will be action bits.

Let's just hope they remember that it is an action comedy. We don't need the entire show being randomness and nothing but jokes at the other characters or at Knuckles in particular. As long as there can at least be somewhat of a story that is overall it should be okay. Every episode doesn't have to connect to each other, even though it would be nice. As long as there can be some character development and the show is at least taken someone serious it should be okay. I just don't want it turning into something that would be so random that you wouldn't be surprised to see Pinkie Pie jumping networks to be in the show because of how random they could make it. Just keep it on track with the series is all I would say.

• Thumbs Up 3

Let's just hope they remember that it is an action comedy. We don't need the entire show being randomness and nothing but jokes at the other characters or at Knuckles in particular. As long as there can at least be somewhat of a story that is overall it should be okay. Every episode doesn't have to connect to each other, even though it would be nice. As long as there can be some character development and the show is at least taken someone serious it should be okay. I just don't want it turning into something that would be so random that you wouldn't be surprised to see Pinkie Pie jumping networks to be in the show because of how random they could make it. Just keep it on track with the series is all I would say.

Frankly, as long as it isn't Adventure Time with Sonic characters, that's all I can ask. I think someone had brought up "The Garfield Show" and I think that's a pretty good example of an episodic series that follows a vague continuity. Apply that approach to whatever Sonic and the crew are doing, and occasionally stretching adventures out over the course of a couple episodes (so it'd be just one episode techincally, but two eleven minute segments) for larger stories. It's doable, and I'd hope that, despite Cartoon Network's involvement, it won't be "wacky, random humor" with characters running around for whole segments screaming like morons.

Frankly, as long as it isn't Adventure Time with Sonic characters, that's all I can ask. I think someone had brought up "The Garfield Show" and I think that's a pretty good example of an episodic series that follows a vague continuity. Apply that approach to whatever Sonic and the crew are doing, and occasionally stretching adventures out over the course of a couple episodes (so it'd be just one episode techincally, but two eleven minute segments) for larger stories. It's doable, and I'd hope that, despite Cartoon Network's involvement, it won't be "wacky, random humor" with characters running around for whole segments screaming like morons.

Can't agree more with this (though adventure time does have some continuity) as long as it actually feels like a sonic show it will be a-okay with me.

Can't agree more with this (though adventure time does have some continuity) as long as it actually feels like a sonic show it will be a-okay with me.

Yeah, pretty much. I have only seen like one episode of the adventure time show during a stream, but still, it was rather random for me. Just be like a sonic show has been for awhile now and it should be fine with me. Just don't want to see it turn into massively crazy random fest is all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Which Garfield Show? The original that was good or the new version that was bad than?

Which Garfield Show? The original that was good or the new version that was bad than?

If I read Zaysho's post right, he's talking about the new show that is called "The Garfield Show" (the old show was called "Garfield and Friends"). And kind of off topic, but "The Garfield Show" isn't that bad, I kinda like it. It isn't the best show I've ever seen, but it's far from being the worst...

Edited by Agent 82

Well, Agent 82 already covered it, but I was talking about the new one (which is literally named "The Garfield Show"). And the new show actually isn't bad at all. Granted, Jon's even more milquetoast than he's ever been, but more entertaining than I thought anything based on Garfield these days could possibly be (I can go on about Garfield, but this isn't the place for it).

The point being, I think the format used in a show like "The Garfield Show" (and I'm just piggybacking off something someone else in this thread said) would be pretty well suited for "Sonic Boom". Mostly episodic adventures with some continuity that ties other stories together. I think even "Adventure Time" and those shows do use that format in the same way. It's a fairly safe bet "Sonic Boom" will head down that road too; how continuity heavy it'll be is up to the creative team.

Well, Agent 82 already covered it, but I was talking about the new one (which is literally named "The Garfield Show"). And the new show actually isn't bad at all. Granted, Jon's even more milquetoast than he's ever been, but more entertaining than I thought anything based on Garfield these days could possibly be (I can go on about Garfield, but this isn't the place for it). The point being, I think the format used in a show like "The Garfield Show" (and I'm just piggybacking off something someone else in this thread said) would be pretty well suited for "Sonic Boom". Mostly episodic adventures with some continuity that ties other stories together. I think even "Adventure Time" and those shows do use that format in the same way. It's a fairly safe bet "Sonic Boom" will head down that road too; how continuity heavy it'll be is up to the creative team.

The Garfield show I liked was Garfield and Friends. I not want Sonic Boom similar to Adventure Time that show is weird. I would rather have it as Sonic X or computer animation. :) I definitely not want it like the new Garfield show no instead the original Garfield and Friends show. :)

Edited by TailsTellsTales
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Garfield show I liked was Garfield and Friends. I not want Sonic Boom similar to Adventure Time that show is weird. I would rather have it as Sonic X or computer animation. smile.png I definitely not want it like the new Garfield show no instead the original Garfield and Friends show. smile.png

Either you're missing the point of what I was saying or purposefully ignoring it. I was talking about the basic format: shows such as "The Garfield Show" or "Adventure Time" are divided up into short segments that occasionally run together and have some kind of basic continuity. And based on current information, we can say "Sonic Boom" will use this format. HOW it will use the format is another story.

Either you're missing the point of what I was saying or purposefully ignoring it. I was talking about the basic format: shows such as "The Garfield Show" or "Adventure Time" are divided up into short segments that occasionally run together and have some kind of basic continuity. And based on current information, we can say "Sonic Boom" will use this format. HOW it will use the format is another story.

If that is the format it uses, then yes, it pretty much has as the AOSTH format where there was some continuity but each episode was its own thing in most cases. There just may be things that link some episodes together is all. I'm sure many are just worried that the trend these days of making shows that may have any comedy in them, that they are afraid of it may become a random fest and nothing but weird and random confusion that they think is funny when it isnt.

• Thumbs Up 3

If that is the format it uses, then yes, it pretty much has as the AOSTH format where there was some continuity but each episode was its own thing in most cases. There just may be things that link some episodes together is all. I'm sure many are just worried that the trend these days of making shows that may have any comedy in them, that they are afraid of it may become a random fest and nothing but weird and random confusion that they think is funny when it isnt.

At the end of the day, we can only really leave that up to the creative team. I don't think there's too much of a chance of it will be "Adventure Time " with Sonic characters. I like to think it'll fall somewhere between the spectrum of "Generator Rex" and "The Looney Tunes Show" in terms of how the action and humor might get balanced out. I don't know if that's being too optimistic though.

Oh! You mean if it's continuous like Sonic X or no continuous than like Adventure Sonic. I would like both either way. I really not understood what you was saying there!

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I would prefer it be continuous like in Sonic X, since honestly, I don't think enough shows out there follow this format enough. So many shows follow the individual episodes that don't link very much to each other format, or the individual episodes format with light elements that show up from time to time. I have a feeling this new show just from the sound of it and the time amounts given that this show is a lot more likely to be like the Adventure series. It has its random moments yes, but it was often kept in check with action scenes and taking itself seriously when it needed to do so. It wasn't just nutty insane ALL the time like some recent shows sound like they are these days. I know I haven't watched all these shows to be a perfect judge on that, but I hear it all the time with people that watch these shows and report what they saw, that this may be a formula that is comment these days?

• Thumbs Up 2