Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: First Cut Scene Now Online

Victoes

Also take into account that this isn't the complete cutscene. Aaron Webber said that there was more that wasn't shown.

For all we know, that's all of Desert Ruin's badniks taking aim at Sonic and co.

But regardless of how big the invisible army is, this is still very early in the game. It is a mild action sequence and is not some sort of epic climax. It's a neat action-packed exposition to explain how the Deadly Six turned against Eggman. 

It doesn't always need to be on par with the Unleashed opening cinematic to be cool.

• Thumbs Up 9

Classic Sonic was never that bright, and had as much shading and detail as the hardware would allow, though. But whatever floats your boat; you've got your opinion and I've got mine.

Regardless, I'm not commenting on whether or not I like the way they lit everything, I'm just saying bright neon colors make it hard to take a scene very seriously.

I like how you link to an oddly edited picture and two dark zones for your examples. I mean, really? An oddly filtered photo, a chemical plant, and a cave. Sonic has had many vibrant, colorful zones before. I also have no idea how neon colors makes it hard to take a scene seriously. I guess we have two different views.

Anyways, I hope people realize that it's a desert zone too. A zone that had a ton of bright colors popping up. tumblr_mqbd3hVq6t1qdtw9eo1_400.gif

Also, you said that the scene is a little unclear.

Of course it is! We've just got a sneak peak and Aaron Webber already said there's a reason on why certain things happen. Remember when people were whining about Tails? He had to personally chime in and say people are jumping to assumptions. Wait for more news or play the game. They're not going to spoil every detail 2-3 months from launch.

Edited by Autosaver

Also, a little pet peeve of mine right now:

This is not confirmed to be the first cutscene. No one source ever said it was - so I really think the topic title should be changed to "A Sonic Lost World cutscene has been revealed," or something. I mean, this is at least the second World, and even Sonic Colors had a cutscene in its first Zone; Tropical Resort.

Just a little something that bugs me for no strong reason. :P

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's not the first cutscene. I can guarantee that. I'm pretty sure the Green zone is the first area so I highly doubt they would kick off the story in the second zone.

I love how we're not allowed to make any judgements or statements whatsoever until the game is released.

From here on out, I'll speak as such -

"That sure was a cutscene. Can't wait for the game!"

"Man, that level looked like a level! Can't wait for the game!"

"Those enemy designs sure looked like enemies! In the game! ... Can't wait for the game!"

The cutscene I just saw did not impress me. I am not optimistic that any of the rest will, and I'll believe it when I see it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, a little pet peeve of mine right now:

This is not confirmed to be the first cutscene. No one source ever said it was - so I really think the topic title should be changed to "A Sonic Lost World cutscene has been revealed," or something. I mean, this is at least the second World, and even Sonic Colors had a cutscene in its first Zone; Tropical Resort.

Just a little something that bugs me for no strong reason. tongue.png

Actually I think by "first cutscene" the title of this topic means the first we've seen, which is sorta true even if it's only a small portion of the cutscene. I suppose there's a few shots in previous trailers that are probably from cutscenes (including the CGI from the announcement? maybe?) but other than that...yeah. XP

Speaking of which, I'm interested in seeing how this cutscene begins and what led up to it. Maybe it's a post-boss cutscene? That's the impression it gives, anyway.

I love how we're not allowed to make any judgements or statements whatsoever until the game is released.

You're allowed to make judgements and statements

BUT, keep in mind that statements such as "this is too confusing!" will be cleared up in the end.

Yeah, it's kinda annoying to see Tails always hug the sidelines to just be Sonic's go-to Tech guy. He doesn't really seem like Sonic's sidekick now because of that, imo, and is more or less just a tag-along kid. As much hate as people give it, Sonic 4 Ep. II actually had Tails be a part of the action, even if he's just an assist for Sonic in that game.

Yeah, he went from driving a battle mech to being some incompetent little kid. Makes me a little irritated...

You're allowed to make judgments on the game. We are also allowed to make judgments concerning your judgments. This is a two way street, comrade. We'll believe that the game and its accessories are as disappointing as you say they are once we have more concrete proof of such. Until then, we are all floating on a sea of hypotheticals, so I'll ask that you not cast off the other side as deliberately covering their ears and wishing you away. No one's found dry land yet, so let's not act like it.

For what was shown so far, I'm excited to some action in the cutscenes. Maybe it's not fully finished yet because of the weird lighting issues with the two bosses in the background. 

There's already re-dubs of the first shown cutscene.
MugiMikey and his friends made one that I personally think is hilarious. haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quU0_H5GOyk

Edited by Konoha
  • Thumbs Up 8

Honestly, I don't think the scene animators are thinking about it that thoroughly. Sonic Colours didn't really have any mood lighting to speak of for most of the game, and neither did Generations (although to be fair, Generations didn't have much of anyth--*shot*). Since it's so early in the game, they're likely saving anything they have for later down the line so this instead comes off as a zanier moment. 

Granted, this kind of scene looks perfect for a more generic or older Saturday morning cartoon where things are not supposed to be taken all that seriously, even when things get down to the wire. I get that and understand that. But if I am supposed to take it and the Zeti as dead-serious as others are, especially with all of the hype going around, then it's perfectly fair to say that this is potentially at odds with the colors Sonic Team used. As it stands for me, the cut scene feels kind of a Looney Tunes-ish moment where the bad guy's gotten the upperhand in part for this reason. It's amusing almost.

Well, I think the scene is pretty obviously not dead serious. Cubot gets his head blown off (completely comedically, since he's a robot), and Eggman gets his stache burned. So, for as seriously as it's meant to be taken, I don't see what the problem is with the colors.

I agree they're not thinking about it all that much. Most of a game's cut scenes just use the standard assets present in the levels. Plus, we know the games are supposed to be more jovial than they used to be, under which context the lighting and color for that particular scene is fine. It's certainly zany, and if anything the fact that I get slight giggles from it is probably intended.

But if we're wondering why Crayola colors don't match a moment where we're supposed to take a villain seriously, "color theory for film" is basically the explanation. We can rescind the original interpretation of the scene and say, "Well, we're not supposed to take it that seriously so the colors are fine!" At which point I would agree with you. At the same time, coupled with all of the claims of the Zeti being "badass" for hijacking an "army" and saying that they would "kill" Eggman and the others, all of which in turn makes this game a "day one" purchase..... Tch, yeeeaaaaah, it's a bit too silly and bright and non-threatening for me to agree with those kinds of connotations?

• Thumbs Up 5

At the same time, coupled with all of the claims of the Zeti being "badass" for hijacking an "army" and saying that they would "kill" Eggman and the others, all of which in turn makes this game a "day one" purchase..... Tch, yeeeaaaaah, it's a bit too silly and bright and non-threatening for me to agree with those kinds of connotations?

The connotations aren't even there to start with though. Two lines of badnik's are not by any definition an 'army', it's truly questionable whether they fulfill the term of 'badass' for merely taking control of small animal-themed robots that other characters have also succeeded in doing in the past and the Deadly Six don't even try to make sure Eggman is taken care of there and then for good.

It's a cool cutscene but it in no way deserves the plaudits so many are giving it regarding those three proclaimed aspects.

I remember really liking the cutscene, and knowing that wasn't all there was to it. :v

Can a guy just think the cutscene was good because it shows lots of good animation and action unlike anything we've got in a real-time-rendered cutscene before for Sonic? Because really, before this, we had to look forward to Marza productions to get this kind of action. Color theory is important too, but I can at least appreciate the animators' efforts enough to say that it was pretty great.

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky
  • Thumbs Up 7

At the same time, coupled with all of the claims of the Zeti being "badass" for hijacking an "army" and saying that they would "kill" Eggman and the others, all of which in turn makes this game a "day one" purchase..... Tch, yeeeaaaaah, it's a bit too silly and bright and non-threatening for me to agree with those kinds of connotations?

Eh, barring the "army" thing, it's all opinions at the end of the day. If they think that what the Zeti(Zetis?) did are badass, and that cutscene made the game a day-one purchase for them, then eh, let them have their fun. At least they're actually happy for the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

and the Deadly Six don't even try to make sure Eggman is taken care of there and then for good.

... Yanno, if the Deadly Six were all over Eggman, seriously trying to murdalize him in turn forcing Sonic to then step-in, sorta like he did in the CGI but with him carrying Eggman, that would make for a really badass moment.

I remember really liking the cutscene, and knowing that wasn't all there was to it.

Can a guy just think the cutscene was good because it shows lots of good animation and action unlike anything we've got in a real-time-rendered cutscene before for Sonic? Because really, before this, we had to look forward to Marza productions to get this kind of action. Color theory is important too, but I can at least appreciate the animators' efforts enough to say that it was pretty great.

Of course you can like it! The theory I vomited out doesn't prohibit you from doing that. I've praised it on other aspects before, namely that we're finally getting scenes with a bit more fucking teeth to them. This scene alone is far more interesting than most of the filler in the last two games, so I'm happy about it on that front and curious to see what the rest of the story is like.

... Yanno, if the Deadly Six were all over Eggman, seriously trying to murdalize him in turn forcing Sonic to then step-in, sorta like he did in the CGI but with him carrying Eggman, that would make for a really badass moment.

I instantly thought of this when I read that laugh.png

144sonic.jpg

Except Sonic would be carrying Tails under one arm and Eggman above his head with the other XD

• Thumbs Up 7

If eggman's craft was trashed in the cutscene it's going to feel weird seeing eggman walk for once unless he has a spare eggmobile in a undiscovered robot facility in lost hex kinda like the iceberg lab from crash twinsanity

Just imagine eggman without his moustache imagine the hilarity

Edited by DarkShadowMaster

Eh, barring the "army" thing, it's all opinions at the end of the day. If they think that what the Zeti(Zetis?) did are badass, and that cutscene made the game a day-one purchase for them, then eh, let them have their fun. At least they're actually happy for the game.

I'm not trying to take anyone's fun away from them. At the end of the day, I was answering a specific question pertaining to one aspect of scene as a whole, and generally reiterating how I personally felt about it in that single context alone. Overall though, I don't see why everyone needs to be in positive lock-step for someone specific to enjoy something. You think I enjoyed the look of the Parkour any less simply because Azoo was criticizing it, and doing so on more bounds than I did this cut scene? xP 

• Thumbs Up 4

Have Warren or Ken ever had a serious scene or moment- such as the one where Sonic and Tails discovered the Wisps capsules, or when Modern and Classic were engaging Eggman at the end- and just thrown in a random joke for no reason whatsoever?

Really, have they ever done this?

Just because they write comedic scripts doesn't mean they're oblivious to when a joke isn't at all called for.

> Who are they? They are insignificant!

> It's time to scramble Eggman, Super Sonic Style!

> Tails entertaining the thought of Yacker being captured by Eggman, as if Yacker is still being relevant to the story

:/

OK, ok, this is more of a jokey post, and that last one I definitely pulled out of my ass/Take That at Yacker

tongue.png

Except Sonic would be carrying Tails under one arm and Eggman above his head with the other XD

Tails would be fine, but Eggman?... I don't even want to know.

I mean Sonic dragging him on the road by his mustache at breakneck speeds would not only be painful, it would be a degrading image of the doctor we know and love.

Edited by Yeow
  • Thumbs Up 1