Awoo.

Lost World Trailer 2 "This looks a bit like *Insert game here*"

Badnik Mechanic

How can people even make point on the other 5 Deadly Six not talking? It could be sound effects over pre-rendered cutscenes to simply cover the dialogue and risk revealing new content, if you watch their mouth movement, it looks like most are in mid-conversation, and most of the grunts/growls/screams don't even match up with the lip syncing.

I hate it when people jump the gun on these things and assume stuff from a 3 second spot in a trailer.

But that's the best part :P

Sonic, at least on the classic games, was about using the colors right.

Contrast, tone graduation, easy identification of elements.
Lost World is doing that, unlike the most recent games, lots of levels looks like they have a single pallete with different tones, nothing really popped out of the screen, and the elements of the level some times got lost.

I'm really happy with the art-style of this game so far, because it does looks like Sonic CD, but in 3D, which, I Love.

Another thing to point out is this

Not sure why those two would be blacked out in the back.

They're standing under some sort of structure, that's probably why they're shadowed out.

If you want your primary thought to be "Man, this level looks amazing." when you're playing a gameplay focused series like Sonic, than I can't help but think you're expecting the wrong things from the series.

Edited by Wraith

Pretty good trailer overall. Only thing that could've made it better would have been to hear Sonic taunt Zavok back at the end. It should be fun seeing him cocky this time, as he won't be having one-sided conversations with robots most of the time.

If you want your primary thought to be "Man, this level looks amazing." when you're playing a gameplay focused series like Sonic, than I can't help but think you're expecting the wrong things from the series.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Gameplay focused series? What? Hold X to boost across an on rails path?

Don't make me laugh, the levels and overall locations of Sonic are teeming with life, character and charm in every game, even 06, (Kingdom Valley was visually beautiful) Diogenes hit the nail on the head, This game feels very immersed because you can interact with most things in the environment, you can actually touch and climb scenery, this is an amazing step for this series, we actually have freedom in a Sonic title, kinda like that Tech Demo for 06's engine where Sonic free falls from a cliff into a forest, I mean it may not be at that level of detail just yet, but this is a pretty fucking big step in that direction.

What's the point in playing a Sonic game as Sonic, if you don't end up FEELING like Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 7

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Gameplay focused series? What? Hold X to boost across an on rails path?

Don't make me laugh, the levels and overall locations of Sonic are teeming with life, character and charm in every game, even 06, (Kingdom Valley was visually beautiful) Diogenes hit the nail on the head, This game feels very immersed because you can interact with most things in the environment, you can actually touch and climb scenery, this is an amazing step for this series, we actually have freedom in a Sonic title, kinda like that Tech Demo for 06's engine where Sonic free falls from a cliff into a forest, I mean it may not be at that level of detail just yet, but this is a pretty fucking big step in that direction.

What's the point in playing a Sonic game as Sonic, if you don't end up FEELING like Sonic?

My point was not that gameplay should be the focus. Like you said, everything should come together with the gameplay being the thing that binds it. Sorry if I wasn't being clear. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Another thing to point out is this

*pic of Zarok etc*

This appears to be a lighting issue. Zaroks head and lower half are supposed to be black, but they're grey.

Not to mention, that level ran at mostly sub-30fps on the 360 and chugged horribly. It pretty much ONLY looked good in screenshots.

Lost World will actually look better in motion, at 60 and on an actual TV. 

I'm sure this will be mentioned by the time my post shows up but............

THAT'S NOT EVEN THE REAL GAME. IT'S A MOD FOR GENERATIONS ON A GOOD PC.

Edited by Eternal Xtreme

That's Snailblaster from Sonic 3's Launch Base zone.

Aha My bad,it appears your right. I guess I can't be right all the time. aha

You called?

To avoid post strike:

As long as they're optional for the most part, I actually wouldn't mind Wisps becoming a regular for the series. I love Elemental Shields but Iizuka's alien charm is starting to grow on me.

Edited by Snail Blaster
  • Thumbs Up 1

^ Funnily enough, I kind of see the Wisps as the modern Elemental Shields, in a way. If future games introduce more playable characters, I'd want stuff like parkour and the Wisp powers to be what sets Sonic apart from his friends in terms of gameplay, kind of like the shields' special moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't wait to hear the music in Jungle level. The Eagle Wisp is probably gonna be favorite Wisp outta all of them, but the Rhythm and Asteroid look awesome too. Zavok's voice is fucking cool, as was his speech. I am just loving all of this game so far...

It is a game.

Honestly SLoW looks like it's going to feel more immersive to me because you are actually allowed to touch things. All the detail in the world isn't going to make a level feel real to me when I'm actually just trapped in a little invisible box. Nothing in the modern era games is real except the narrow hallways you're stuck running through. SLoW, while it's obviously less of a physically plausible world, is still a world you can actually touch. And that's more important to me than the illusion of space.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because we play very different games for very different reasons, in that case. 

Video games have, for as long as they have existed, been defined by their video, audio, and interactivity. That means a lot to me, and I very often expect all of these aspects to deliver, offering a complete experience.

Flower didn't have very much gameplay at all - you waved the controller around to control the wind, and flew through enormous fields, canyons, and even wastelands, simply bringing life back to the plants there. It was very simple and, had the game been stripped of its music and visuals, being left playable as a mass of textureless polygons, the game would be incredibly dull. But it wasn't, and for that reason, the game had an amazing impact on me, and it's one of my favorites to this day.

What about JRPGs? Most of the gameplay in those is simple menu navigation and strategizing. Take away the story, music, and visuals, and what are you left with? A really fucking boring game.

The only game I can think of that was nothing more than simple fun that I really loved was Super Meat Boy, and that's mostly because it was extremely fun to control and extremely unforgiving. I highly doubt Lost World is going to match that, though.

To be fair if the number one thought on your mind is about the visual quality rather than the gameplay quality then the gameplay clearly isn't good enough.

Hence my point about visuals taking a backseat in favour of much-needed gameplay focus.

If there's any one thing the Sonic series actually needs desperately, it's objectively fantastic gameplay. Other things are, let's be honest, not a priority in comparison to fixing the thing which somehow managed to go all this time without being good enough.

The fact you used this as an insult towards it is more depressing than anything.

Are we so far gone that games suck unless they take themselves as embarassingly seriously as hollywood blockbusters? Is a game that's famous for being a game feeling like a game something we should be harmoniously ashamed of? I couldn't understand that notion less if I tried, a gaming icon looking and feeling like a game is something I so deeply miss from the industry that it makes me sad just thinking about how people don't even want games to be games anymore.

If games stopped being games and the priority on game design of fun were ever removed en-masse in favour of various elements of realism, I would genuinely lose all interest in games. Sonic, as one of the very very few gaming icons even left, very much has the right to be like a game.

Sweet Christ, that's a lot of hyperbole. I never said it was something to be ashamed of, I'm just stating that it takes me out of the experience. I'm really not sure how else I can elaborate on that, seeing as how so much of it comes down to preference.

When one of the most blatant things I'm seeing in a game is "DON'T FORGET THIS IS A GAME", and the first thing that comes to mind is "wow, that looks cheap" I can't help but feel disappointment. Takes me way out of the experience.

If you want a more in-depth reason as to why I like Unleashed and Generations? Because the visuals, audio, and gameplay all come together to form one cohesive experience. I liked playing them the first time and discovering these massive worlds to marvel at. I loved speedrunning through them. I loved having my reactions and reflexes tested, and I loved finding all the tiny shortcuts in the level in my attempts to find the fastest possible route. I also really enjoyed searching for Red Rings in Colors and Generations.

Contrary to popular opinion, it seems, I actually really love Generations' gameplay. Unleashed's, too. They're fun. I like them.

I understand that my view here is likely to be unpopular on a Sonic forum full of Nintendo fans, but I've just come to expect more from the games I play. I like being wowed by the art because games are art. Simple fun is what it is, and I have an appreciation for it, but I like having some depth in what I'm looking at on screen.

I dunno, almost every other game in the series delivers me exactly that. I have a lot of appreciation for deep, well-thought out creative vision. 

All of the classics, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations all felt like they had a lot of thought and creativity pumped into their art design. They were unique, well-designed, and seamlessly blended into the gameplay to provide one satisfying and cohesive experience. I love video games, but not just because I like jumping on platforms and bopping enemies on the head. I like the escapism of them. The immersion, and the creativity of them. The feelings they give me when done right are very much like a very powerful book or movie. That's why I play games, and that's something I've always liked from Sonic. The thrill of rushing through these worlds, marvelling at the beauty of every structure and detail around me. Not just because it was impressive on a technical level, but because I was seeing an artist's vision realized, and again, that means a lot to me.

I'm not trying to undermine the fact that Lost World is unique or creative, either. It is. But the style they're going for just isn't working for me at all, and it's more distracting than immersive. It takes me out of the experience, and rather than feeling like Sonic, rushing through Green Hill Zone at breakneck speeds, I feel like I'm... me, sitting in a chair, holding a controller, running past obstacles and hopping on platforms as I run through a giant tube hovering in the sky for literally no reason other than "fuck you it's a game it doesn't have to make sense".

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 3

It is a game.

Honestly SLoW looks like it's going to feel more immersive to me because you are actually allowed to touch things. All the detail in the world isn't going to make a level feel real to me when I'm actually just trapped in a little invisible box. Nothing in the modern era games is real except the narrow hallways you're stuck running through. SLoW, while it's obviously less of a physically plausible world, is still a world you can actually touch. And that's more important to me than the illusion of space.

What I don't understand is why we're limiting ourselves to one thing or another. I don't see why so much more detailed artwork can't be used with bigger, more touchable environments, in the same way that these really simplistic worlds could also be linear and restricting. Art style and level design are not set hand-in-hand with each other, guys. 

Also the visuals to this game aren't held back due to visual limitations. If it really is, then all it is for is for 60 frames per second; because I'm more than sure that the Wii U could pull off better than Unleashed/Generations at a steady 30. A fluid 60 does make all the difference, I understand, but still. 

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 9

Another thing to point out is this2q9j8e1.jpg29bzhc1.jpg

Oh that looks like shaders that are working correctly like in Generations. This kinda stuff happened in the Generations trailers. They just have improper shader files it seems.  Which is silly but its true. Remember the Snowboard from city escape being light blue? And it changed, that was due to a shader error.

Anyways that whole deal about Generations/Unleashed Project looking better than this. Is simply art style and the fact they are trying to get 60FPS. I mean you remember Unleashed with its horrible texture filtering?

AfricaCroppedComparison.png

Yeah didn't look real snazzy then, besides Lost World looks great in those bullshots. Just like Unleashed project looks great with its bullshots.

Edited by TwiZoney
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh that looks like shaders that are working correctly like in Generations. This kinda stuff happened in the Generations trailers. They just have improper shader files it seems.  Which is silly but its true. Remember the Snowboard from city escape being light blue? And it changed, that was due to a shader error.

Well thats something to fix.

I feel like I'm... me, sitting in a chair, holding a controller, running past obstacles and hopping on platforms as I run through a giant tube hovering in the sky for literally no reason other than "fuck you it's a game it doesn't have to make sense".

Im homing in on this comment because I'm honestly perplexed by the fact that it's hard for you to buy that a Sonic game would have levels like this...Like, why not?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 8

Im homing in on this comment because I'm honestly perplexed by the fact that it's that hard to buy that a Sonic game would have levels like this...Like, why not?

Agreed. The classic games had random bits of level geometry floating as well, it's nothing new.

All this talk of "immersion." If we're defining it as it's usually applied to games, then we're talking about games creating worlds the player can believe as a form of escapism in some capacity, Sonic Lost World does as good of a job as any with its art-- to me, that is. It don't see its floating tubes and waterfalls in the sky as random, or un-cohesive, I see it as whimsical and fantastic. And to me, the simplistic style and emphasis on color over highly detailed textures isn't flat or boring-- it's striking

Of course, any discussion of how immersive a game can be is pointless before you get your hands on it yourself, and it's already an incredibly subjective topic, but I've always felt that current Sonic games are among the gamiest-games out there, Generations included.

• Thumbs Up 9

Im homing in on this comment because I'm honestly perplexed by the fact that it's hard for you to buy that a Sonic game would have levels like this...Like, why not?

Especially since even in games like Unleashed we still had shit like big-ass loops in the middle of highways. It didn't exactly make much sense beyond game logic either. 

Back when the initial trailer was released I was in the Generations is better camp, but now this art style has really grown on me. It's kind of like an exaggerated take on the whimsical style the classic games had and I love it.

I like the visual style and art direction that 'Lost World' has, it's really unique and fits well for Sonic. However, I agree with those who say the actual graphics (textures etc) are very underwhelming. If the gameplay is great, on which I'm still not 100% sold (hopefully playing it at 'Sonic Boom' will change my mind) then I can overlook weak textures.

At the end of the day, I just care about the gameplay.