Awoo.

I Hope You Weren't Wanting A New F-Zero....

Patticus

I will say one thing about Miyamoto here, I didn't think he had much to do with the F-Zero franchise?

I honestly don't see the big deal here. Did Miyamoto expressly forbid anyone from taking on an F-Zero game, or just say he didn't have any ideas at the moment that warranted a new game.

The problem is that half of the games Nintendo has released in the past 5 years wouldn't have been released under that logic. It's kind of hard to swallow the "we won't make a game unless we can come up with something innovative" excuse from the same company that has released the entirety of the New Super Mario Brothers franchise since the last Star Fox game was released.

• Thumbs Up 2

Add online multiplayer. Make the story mode fair and actually fun this time. Add some more racer cameos such as Samus Aran, Captain Olimar, and Pit.

There. You have F-Zero fucking GX 2. This is a game that needs to happen because Nintendo needs to revive more IPs. I love Miyamoto, but I don't understand his sensibilities at times. Whose decision was it to revive Kid Icarus?

• Thumbs Up 6

But I thought that with Kid Icarus Sakurai wanted to make a game, what's stopping Sakurai or some developer from doing it again? I can't take issue with Miyamoto because he doesn't have any interest with the series at the moment.

Add online multiplayer. Make the story mode fair and actually fun this time. Add some more racer cameos such as Samus Aran, Captain Olimar, and Pit.

There. You have F-Zero fucking GX 2. This is a game that needs to happen because Nintendo needs to revive more IPs. I love Miyamoto, but I don't understand his sensibilities at times. Whose decision was it to revive Kid Icarus?

Sakurai, I think.

Nintendo have tried to reboot F-Zero a bunch of times, from N64 to Gamecube to Game Boy Advance and even in arcades, and every single one has failed miserably in sales. Perhaps I'm a bit biased since I never really got into the series, but it seems to me that Nintendo has already tried to make it a success but it's never worked for them, so why should they keep trying if they can't even break a million with any of their games?

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo have tried to reboot F-Zero a bunch of times, from N64 to Gamecube to Game Boy Advance and even in arcades, and every single one has failed miserably in sales. Perhaps I'm a bit biased since I never really got into the series, but it seems to me that Nintendo has already tried to make it a success but it's never worked for them, so why should they keep trying if they can't even break a million with any of their games?

I think it's the logic that is being used to justify not having another attempt that is irking people the most.

It was Sakurai's. He was actually wanting to do it for some time, considering he wanted Pit in Smash 64.

Because none of those games were ever marketed other than maybe the first F-Zero which was really shitty? The same reason Sega games fail miserably?

• Thumbs Up 2

F-Zero is kind of a weird genre in of itself. It's not a car game, and it's not a "fun" racer like Mario Kart. I would compare it to an arcade racer, as it's closest to that, which isn't exactly a popular genre outside of the arcade scene. It's not ever going to be anything more than a niche product, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since when is not selling a million copies the sign that something has "failed miserably in sales"?

• Thumbs Up 7

F-Zero can seriously sell well if it tried. Nintendo can push it as an alternative to Mario Kart, for those who want a more serious, grittier game offering much higher speed and skill level than the average racer. Granted, F-Zero has plenty of goofy moments especially in GX, but it's definitely one of Ninty's darker and most frustratingly difficult IPs, and some people really dig that element about the games.

• Thumbs Up 7

F-Zero is kind of a weird genre in of itself. It's not a car game, and it's not a "fun" racer like Mario Kart. I would compare it to an arcade racer, as it's closest to that, which isn't exactly a popular genre outside of the arcade scene. It's not ever going to be anything more than a niche product, really.

what the fuck is subjectivity

Mario Kart can kiss my ass. I don't have fun being in first place and then getting my shit wrecked sending me to 5th.

I love F-Zero and find it to be great fun.

...And Mario Kart isn't an Arcade racer? What the hell would you qualify it as?

• Thumbs Up 4

I put quotations around it for a reason, people call Kart racers shit like that. Yes, they are a subset of Arcade Racer, but F-Zero is PURE Arcade Racing. Like a super charged Daytona with hover cars and sick halfpipes.

Edit: I dun derped

Edited by Super Mario

I think it's the logic that is being used to justify not having another attempt that is irking people the most.

I feel like it's silly to continuously beg for sequels to old games though. When it comes to Mario, that's Nintendo's money maker, so they kinda just throw him into whatever they think the Mario brand can help sell. Same goes for Pokemon. However, their more storied franchises such as F-Zero really have no reason to return unless they can come up with something that both pays homage to the original source material and can sell well.

Game like Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Pikmin 3, etc aren't just made because Nintendo knows that a very small, vocal minority want them, they're made because they know they have a team of people who want to make these games, put passion into them, and will come out with a great product. All of which feature new, genuine innovations to their respected genre or previous games, and all have sold fairly well (With the exception of Pikmin which hasn't been released yet). If Nintendo get some B-list team to create a racing game with an F-Zero skin on it, the reality of it is that it likely will come out to be shitty, and then the series will dig itself into an even deeper hole than it currently is in. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Since when is not selling a million copies the sign that something has "failed miserably in sales"?

Since AAA gaming started overspending on the production of games and advertising. 

• Thumbs Up 3

With the Wipeout series all but dead on the Playstation, Nintendo can and should push F-Zero hard as the only alternative out there to that reasonably popular series.

Since AAA gaming started overspending on the production of games and advertising. 

Hasn't Nintendo largely bypassed that fad?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not really, but with spending the marketing on it (that people want), it would be.

Which Nintendo has never done. GP Legend was the closest they ever got to putting a marketing push behind the games, and they put so little effort behind it that they didn't even finish a single season of the accompanying anime outside of Japan so they could instead put more of a marketing push behind the Kirby TV show, of all things.

Because they don't do ridiculously huge marketing campaigns. To get people to actually give a shit about F-Zero would probably require that, though.

I feel like it's silly to continuously beg for sequels to old games though. When it comes to Mario, that's Nintendo's money maker, so they kinda just throw him into whatever they think the Mario brand can help sell. Same goes for Pokemon. However, their more storied franchises such as F-Zero really have no reason to return unless they can come up with something that both pays homage to the original source material and can sell well.

Game like Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Pikmin 3, etc aren't just made because Nintendo knows that a very small, vocal minority want them, they're made because they know they have a team of people who want to make these games, put passion into them, and will come out with a great product. All of which feature new, genuine innovations to their respected genre or previous games, and all have sold fairly well (With the exception of Pikmin which hasn't been released yet). If Nintendo get some B-list team to create a racing game with an F-Zero skin on it, the reality of it is that it likely will come out to be shitty, and then the series will dig itself into an even deeper hole than it currently is in. 

I don't disagree, but a lot of people would say that most those sequels simply do not do enough to innovate.

Because none of those games were ever marketed other than maybe the first F-Zero which was really shitty? The same reason Sega games fail miserably?

I could be wrong, but didn't Nintendo push GX on the GameCube with an anime series, ads, and slapping Captain Falcon on the cover to draw in fans of him from Melee? I remember hearing a lot about it when it came out, I just never bought it because I never got into F-Zero.

If anyone says that about KI:U, they're messed up in the head. It's nothing like the original game. Bit early to talk about Pikmin, but I can KIND of agree on DKCR.

If Nintendo get some B-list team to create a racing game with an F-Zero skin on it, the reality of it is that it likely will come out to be shitty, and then the series will dig itself into an even deeper hole than it currently is in. 

Nintendo didn't even make GX, and it is the most revered one in the franchise.