Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I thought it was generally accepted that Retro became Nintendo's new Rareware in terms of quality games, while Rareware just rotted away like a old husk under Microsoft before being retooled into Microsoft Kinect Game Studios. 

Complain about Retro not doing a new Metroid all you want, but at least Nintendo gave them a choice to do that or DK. Rare doesn't even get to work on any IPs of their choice anymore for crying out loud, let alone their own. They revived Killer Instinct only to leave it in the hands of a shovelware developer while instructing Rare to make yet another Kinect Sports game for the Xbone.

Edited by Gabe

I thought it was generally accepted that Retro became Nintendo's new Rareware in terms of quality games, while Rareware just rotted away like a old husk under Microsoft before being retooled into Microsoft Kinect Game Studios. 

Complain about Retro not doing a new Metroid all you want, but at least Nintendo gave them a choice to do that or DK. Rare doesn't even get to work on any IPs of their choice anymore for crying out loud, let alone their own. They revived Killer Instinct only to leave it in the hands of a shovelware developer while instructing Rare to make yet another Kinect Sports game for the Xbone.

Speaking of the bolded, that something Microsoft should have done since the early 360 days.  I could imagine a Insomniac developed Banjo, a NetherRealm/Dimps developed Killer Instinct, and a 343 Industry's developed Perfect Dark.  Rare's core talent from the good old days is gone, but that gives no excuse for Microsoft to let these IP's be left to waste and be neglecting, or in Killer Instincts case, giving it to a no-name developer responsible for one of the worst Silent Hill's.

Edited by RK64

Hmm not yet. Retro's made some amazing games, and they are taking on what used to be Rare's priorities (DKC), but compared to Rare from the golden days, I'd say Retro still has some work to do.

I mean after Rare's name got out from their DKC work, they were just pumping out triple A quality games left and right. Banjo, Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye, Jet Force, Perfect Dark, Conker, Killer Instinct, DK64, etc. All these amazing games and more all within 2 generations.

Not to say Retro ain't up there either, hell Prime is one of my favorite games and DKCR was my favorite platformer last gen. But over the course of 2 generations, they've only worked on 2 franchises (excluding the MK7 tracks). They need to branch out in other genres, other franchises, and start creating some of their own IPs before I would really consider them Nintendo's new "Rare". Which understandingly, isn't there fault.

I really wish Nintendo would give Retro more freedom, so we could see what they're truly capable of. It really does pain me to see a developer with such great potential being held back.

(wait why am I talking about this?)

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmm not yet. Retro's made some amazing games, and they are taking on what used to be Rare's priorities (DKC), but compared to Rare from the golden days, I'd say Retro still has some work to do.

I mean after Rare's name got out from their DKC work, they were just pumping out triple A quality games left and right. Banjo, Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye, Jet Force, Perfect Dark, Conker, Killer Instinct, DK64, etc. All these amazing games and more all within 2 generations.

Not to say Retro ain't up there either, hell Prime is one of my favorite games and DKCR was my favorite platformer last gen. But over the course of 2 generations, they've only worked on 2 franchises (excluding the MK7 tracks). They need to branch out in other genres, other franchises, and start creating some of their own IPs before I would really consider them Nintendo's new "Rare". Which understandingly, isn't there fault.

I really wish Nintendo would give Retro more freedom, so we could see what they're truly capable of. It really does pain me to see a developer with such great potential being held back.

Well, they made the decision to work on DKC again, so it isn't like Nintendo forced them to make Tropical Freeze. 

I think that they are not the new "Rare" yet because that freedom they had is what caused there downfall. They were the superstars of the N64 pumping out game after game, but they got cocky and made a game that went completely against Nintendo's ethics and style (Conker, maybe Perfect Dark), major talent leaving (Goldeneye/Perfect Dark teams leaving), and the fact that there game quality was going downhill (compare Banjo 1 and Perfect Dark too DK 64 and Jet Force Gemini), leaving the decision for Nintendo not to keep them an easy choice.   

They gave Retro a shot with Metroid Prime (and latter on DCKR) and they exceeded Nintendo's expectations.  So if they are not the new "Rare", then I find that to be a good thing and that allows them to make there own legacy of great games :)

After all, without Nintendo, Rare went downhill on Microsoft's platforms (with exceptions like Veva Piñata and Kemeo).

Edited by RK64

How is making a sequel to one of the best platformers of last Gen holding them back?

The old DKC games have bad, often gimmicky level design, loaded with beginners traps and leaps of faith. The camera's also too zoomed-in and shifts back and forth uncomfortably based on what direction you're facing, which sucks when you're just trying to adjust yourself. 

And from a visual standpoint, they haven't aged well. The graphics are all muddy, and it's an artistic mess; enemies are placed in any level without consideration for tone or theme. You fight the same vultures in the jungle and in the snow as you do inside caves. 

Are the barrel and mine cart levels in Return not exactly that?

Hence why I said "new Rareware in terms of quality games."

If DKCR was holding them back, then I really wonder what it would be like if they aren't.

DKC Tropical Freeze?

• Thumbs Up 4

No, those are awesome gimmicky level designs.

As are most of the gimmicky level designs in Rare's trilogy sooooo....

No, those are awesome gimmicky level designs.

As are most of the gimmicky level designs in Rare's trilogy sooooo....

From a visual standpoint they're awesome, but as far as actually playing the barrel and rocket stages goes they're rubbish. Nothing's worse than auto-movement levels designed to be very difficult with a 1-hit KO system on top. I like that DKCR is a challenging game, but those levels are anything but fun.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm more or less talking about levels in the old games where lights are constantly shutting off, or you have an angler fish guiding you, or you have to keep hitting switches or collecting fuel. You know, boring one-offs. 

The Rocket Barrel and Minecart stages don't feel like they're overstaying their welcome, especially considering that they only appear so often and the minecart stages were established in previous entries. 

From a visual standpoint they're awesome, but as far as actually playing the barrel and rocket stages goes they're rubbish. Nothing's worse than auto-movement levels designed to be very difficult with a 1-hit KO system on top. I like that DKCR is a challenging game, but those levels are anything but fun.

The rocket stages, yeah they were unreasonable, but at least they had awesome music. 

They got kind of ridiculous, I'll admit. I didn't see anything too hard about the minecart stages, though. I thought they were a blast to play and they're up there with my favorites. 

Edited by Solly

If the trailer is anything to go by, the minecart now takes 2 hits like it's supposed to anyway. Note how DK and Diddy are replaced by the minecart in the HUD when it's a minecart stage, and it has a health bar of its own.

If the trailer is anything to go by, the minecart now takes 2 hits like it's supposed to anyway. Note how DK and Diddy are replaced by the minecart in the HUD when it's a minecart stage, and it has a health bar of its own.

I'm hoping this is only for new/casual mode, I quite liked the challenge of the mine cart levels in Returns. They should still have a casual mode to make it easier for new players to play, but the regular difficulty should go untouched, if not increase.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it might be prudent if Nintendo allowed players to select the difficulty at the beginning of the game with a short description of what changes. That way less confident players can play on an easier standard mode, and more confident ones can try a harder one.

Edited by EuroMIX

I honestly don't see how working on a platformer is holding them back in any way. Even in this day and age, platformers can be great and they've proved it by making the best 2D platformer of last generation, and this one has the potential to be even better. From a business view point I think it was also smart of them because DKCR sold more units (5.97m) than the entire Prime series combined (5.8m not counting remakes). I think the people that hate fact that Retro is still working on DK and in some cases, mad that DK still exists, are mostly just Metroid fanboys.

...I still want mah Metroid ;~;

Edited by Fluttershy
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm hoping this is only for new/casual mode, I quite liked the challenge of the mine cart levels in Returns. They should still have a casual mode to make it easier for new players to play, but the regular difficulty should go untouched, if not increase.

"Casual" mode almost makes it sound as if you think the game is somehow lesser for being easier. I'm no casual gamer, but the game was a million times more enjoyable for me with the little bit of extra leeway that New Mode provided. My sister couldn't enjoy the Wii version at all when we tried to play in co-op cause it was just too difficult for her (and the control scheme was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit). New Mode should be the default, with harder difficulty options like the original Wii game a step up that's available from the get-go.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

It's not like the game isn't one of the harder platform games out there even with the extra heart. It still is.

Edited by King Of Awesome

"Casual" mode almost makes it sound as if you think the game is somehow lesser for being easier. I'm no casual gamer, but the game was a million times more enjoyable for me with the little bit of extra leeway that New Mode provided. My sister couldn't enjoy the Wii version at all when we tried to play in co-op cause it was just too difficult for her (and the control scheme was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit). New Mode should be the default, with harder difficulty options like the original Wii game a step up that's available from the get-go.

It's not lesser, but it is by all definitions more "casual" than playing the default difficulty. Casual gaming isn't anything to scoff at, hell., I consider myself a "casual gamer" considering I very rarely play games outside of what's on my 3DS and 360. However, I loved the challenge DKCR presented and it would be a downgrade for myself who 100% the whole game outside of a few time trials and mirror mode levels for the sequel to be easier than it.

It's not like the game isn't one of the harder platform games out there even with the extra heart. It still is.

The one on the Wii was quite hard. Harder then the SNES ones. I think alot of people complained on how hard it was so they started to give people extra heart XD

The game had 2 hit-point system to begin with and was still harder than any of the SNES trilogy. It's a bit of a shame it wasn't more like them. Retro did a fantastic job though and very much made the series their own instead of trying to mimic Rare's work down to a pat.

I think the SNES games were harder, but Returns was still hard.

Though, it did throw a ton of lives at you.

Returns gave you much more lives, and it made damn sure you used them. I loved it, but I see no problem with the introduction of "New Mode" as a general mode in Tropical Freeze. I played New Mode in 3D, and there's a lot of things the new items still can't save you from.

• Thumbs Up 2

Returns can get insanely hard at times. Yeah, you can get tons of lives, but you're going to waste tons of them, too. I played the original one and beat it 100% (except for perhaps Mirror Mode, I didn't beat that completely), so its definitely quite the challenge, mainly those jewels to unlock the final level.

Still, I was quite sad to see that K. Rule wasn't ACTUALLY behind the whole Tiki attack in disguise. I'm hoping that K. Rule is behind the Vikings this time, but it doesn't look to be the case.