Awoo.

A Hat in Time! 3D Collect-a-Thon platformer on Kickstarter!

Gabz Girl

Is this the Banjo-successor?!

AHHHHH MAN IT'S STARTING

Banjo-threeie source code turned into this. I approve this message game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really digging what I see so far, and I'm not even a fan of Mario 64 or Banjo. It looks really fun, and I'm in love with that art style.

It looks cute but the gameplay's not really doing anything for me.

I like how it looks, but something about the way the character moves bothers me; it's hard to tell without playing it myself, but it doesn't seem to have the fluidity or weight of Mario 64 or Banjo. I voted for it on Greenlight (even though Greenlight sucks), but I'll just wait until it's out and hear of others' impressions before going into it myself.

I definitely see the links to Wind Waker visually, but I'm not getting much beyond that. The fact that they can't guarantee a Wii U release and there being no option of a DRM-free PC release means I can't really back this.

I decided to take the plunge and back this.  I see what people mean about the character not looking as "solid" to control as Mario and Banjo, but to be honest the fact that this appears to be doing everything else right pleases me greatly, and there will be a lot of testing and tweaking between now and release after all.

At worst it genuinely looks like it'll be a quirky little indie platformer with lots of personality and generic gameplay... at best it could live up to the N64 days of old.  Sounds like a risk worth taking to me.

Plus adorable female protagonist yes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hat Kid is so cute But wowzahz. This game looks really fun. I'm hoping for that Wii U release, ought to be neat. Ima donate.

Awwww this looks really wonderful, we need some sort of indie 3D platformer resurrection, hope this gets on Wii U, cause that would be fantastic. 

Wow, the game looks very impressive and looks like it has a lot of potential to be a great 3d platformer, something that is sadly rare with the exception of Mario/Sonic games.  The most impressive thing is the graphics, as it looks like something right out of Wind Waker :)

Looks really nice, the time travel  aspect of it seems a little weird though, doesn't look like she's moving to different times so much as different worlds. Mafia cooks and a haunted forrest don't read time travel to me....

Getting a bit of a psychonauts vibe from it.

I'm getting a bit sick of all these game kickstarters though (and kickstarters in general really). Seems that more and more developers are jumping immediately to kickstarter instead of setting up meetings with publishers in the traditional way.

Or maybe they are meeting with publishers and the publishers are turning them down which is worrying for other reasons.

This game does look nice though, best of luck to them.

Edited by Jake Bird

Looks really nice, the time travel  aspect of it seems a little weird though, doesn't look like she's moving to different times so much as different worlds. Mafia cooks and a haunted forrest don't read time travel to me....

I think time travel MIGHT refer to stuff like the Mafia Cooks level being utterly engulfed in lava in a couple of scenes, as if you go back to pre-prehistoric times? Obviously makes no sense that in the fact that the envioronment seems to be the exact same build-up but with lava, but gameplay-wise... yeah. Hard to say though.

I'm getting a bit sick of all these game kickstarters though (and kickstarters in general really). Seems that more and more developers are jumping immediately to kickstarter instead of setting up meetings with publishers in the traditional way.

Or maybe they are meeting with publishers and the publishers are turning them down which is worrying for other reasons.

I think there are two factors: publishers don't want to take risks, and publishers want control over the product. With Kickstarter funding, you get your cash, and still have complete freedom to create the game however you want to. Of course, such lack of overseeing can go two ways, either a game with great potential could never reach full awesomeness without overseeing from people who have done this sorta thing before, or could be completely ruined by the wills of people who "know what sells" and simply want to make money over art.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

That sounds really good, but I don't really like the idea of using the left mouse button for attack.

That sounds really good, but I don't really like the idea of using the left mouse button for attack.

I assume it's using a keyboard + mouse layout so you always have full, smooth camera control.  Using keys for actions would mean camera control would have to have a hefty amount of automation, which is one of the toughest things to program, ESPECIALLY in a non-linear game.

In all fairness I imagine this game will play best with a controller regardless, it is a platformer after all.

Holy shit it's already passed $26k in just a day! That's brilliant.

I'm actually trying to back them too but for some reason Amazon isn't working when I try to pay. What's going on? ><

I WISH MY CHECK CARD WOULD ARRIVE SO THAT I COULD HEEEEEELP

Watched the gameplay; yeah, it's not Banjo-Kazooie level (as far as I can see, anyway), but I can definitely see potential.

Really hope they manage to reach every stretch goal - 7 chapters over 5 would be amazing.

I saw this topic yesterday and I was really intrigued about the game. It does look like it has a lot of potential. When I saw the page, it had just over $10,000. Well:

thankyoufund.jpg

They made it. IN ONE DAY. Really hoping to see where the devs go next. Beside their stretch goals. 

Edited by Blue On The Run
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wow, I really like the graphical style of this game... Really giving me a Wind Waker vibe. Also, I've been missing the Collectathon days of the n64, so the news about it getting funded in a day is really exiting.

Oh, if only I had the money (And a PC that could actually run games) then I would love to help fund this.

If they manage to license the game to be on the Wii U, I would donate every single penny I have (about $10). This game looks great, but I doubt my laptop could run it. The only thing stopping them from putting it on the Wii U is the engine license, which they are trying to take care of.

I don't like this, personally. The music is unappealing, the graphics are either too bright or too dark, I'm not a big fan of collectathons, I'm not a big fan of the Female Protagonist For Cartoony Platformer cliche (especially ever since Freedom Planet - seriously left a bad taste in my mouth) and the music is unappealing. I would back this if the soundtrack was better and I had money to spare, but alas.

The soundtrack for the game isn't even done. One of the things listed that needed to be funded with the original $30,000 was an original soundtrack.

And what the hell is a "Female Protagonist For Cartoony Platformer" cliché?

• Thumbs Up 5