Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

The name of the game wasn't really the point, it was just a bad example, I admit that. The point was that he is the main character. The one the series can't be without. The one whos name goes in front of 98% of the games in the series, like Sonic Heroes. You could trim the others and it would still be "Sonic <insert name here>".

I love the majority of the other characters, I'm not advocating getting rid of them. I'm just saying personally I don't understand how certain people can say "Man I wish the next Sonic game you didn't have to play as Sonic"...it's like saying "Man I hope you don't have to shoot stuff in the next Doom game".

If people aren't wanting to see as much of the main character in his own series then Sega is doing something very wrong >.<

The name of the game wasn't really the point, it was just a bad example, I admit that. The point was that he is the main character. The one the series can't be without. The one whos name goes in front of 98% of the games in the series, like Sonic Heroes. You could trim the others and it would still be "Sonic <insert name here>".

I love the majority of the other characters, I'm not advocating getting rid of them. I'm just saying personally I don't understand how certain people can say "Man I wish the next Sonic game you didn't have to play as Sonic"...it's like saying "Man I hope you don't have to shoot stuff in the next Doom game".

If people aren't wanting to see as much of the main character in his own series then Sega is doing something very wrong >.<

It's not that anyone wants to see less of Sonic, it's that everyone wants to see more of everyone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think many people are asking for no Sonic (although I'm sure anyone who does is probably going to be really loud about it, vocal minority and all that). Of course, SEGA would never do that anyway since, as you're saying, he's the main freaking character. Not to mention their mascot.

For the most part people just want more of the others, and the option to play as another character and not Sonic throughout a whole game doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. Especially since Sonic 3 (&K) did it without anyone being upset, as far as I know!

For the most part people just want more of the others, and the option to play as another character and not Sonic throughout a whole game doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. Especially since Sonic 3 (&K) did it without anyone being upset, as far as I know!

FUCKING SEGA

HOW DARE THEY MAKE A GAME WITH THREE CHARACTERS ALL WITH THEIR OWN UNIQUE YET SIMILAR ABILITIES AND LEVELS THAT CATER TO EACH OF THEM

FUCK YOU SEGA

See that I get. As I said above I would enjoy having more playable characters. Tho my preferred type of play would be a 2.5D style, especially for platforming. Mario has been able to do 3D platforming well, but with Sonic because its so fast I have never really thought they pulled it off that well. It has kinda become more an obstacle dodging boost to the finish more than a 3D version of the original platforming game.

I don't think many people are asking for no Sonic (although I'm sure anyone who does is probably going to be really loud about it, vocal minority and all that). Of course, SEGA would never do that anyway since, as you're saying, he's the main freaking character. Not to mention their mascot.

Yeah, but it would be nice if all the characters were a bit more unique than that though, I never really felt comfortable with tails and knuckles pretty much just being sonic with the ability to fly.

Just make Sonic the fastest, Tails slower but can fly over some things, Knuckles slow, powerful and can glide/climb/dig (whatever works best with the gameplay) and Amy powerful (her hammer). I actually had some stealth ideas for Amy before Sega did it with the weird invisibility thing in '06, but mine was more about avoiding enemies or being able to smash them if you wanted; options.

I would personally construct multi-player levels with different styles of play in mind, so shortcuts that can only be accessed by flying over things, or breaking containers only Knuckles and Amy could. Perhaps there could even be a way to take advantage of these if you're a character that normally can't, especially if you're behind i.e. dash through the shortcut created by the power characters as other characters. Stuff like that.

I liked the way Amy played in Sonic Advance, which was basically a faster version of her gameplay in SA1. Just have something like that, where her hammer is used to solve puzzles and get to areas that other characters can't.

Id also appreciate if Amy didn't have to go to a dead stop in order to use her hammer, some quick hammer-play would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd also appreciate if Amy had her mouth taped shut during gameplay.

Look at us, talking about Amy of all people being playable when we'll be lucky if we get Tails.

Yeah I mean they don't have to design individual levels for each character and make it harder for themselves. The Sonic 3K way worked well. Same levels but the odd alternate route only accessible by certain characters. Have some collectibles hidden around the bits they all share so you still have reason to look around in the main paths or something. Trouble is at boost speeds it would be hard to distinguish other paths beyond trial and error. A lot of the ideas people mention would probably involve slowing the game down a bit, at least for the other characters, for flying and gliding and climbing to be properly utilized. The ranking system would have to be tailored for each character if they were slower than Sonic too...I guess there are a few problems with giving the reigns back to the other characters if you aren't gunna make them all boosty. It would end up being a bit more like Adventure but with a more Sonic 3K vibe or summing

Just make Sonic the fastest, Tails slower but can fly over some things, Knuckles slow, powerful and can glide/climb/dig (whatever works best with the gameplay) and Amy powerful (her hammer).

HELL NO. If there's something they should never do again, is slow characters down. Amy, at best, but Tails and Knuckles? Hell to the fucking no. The Sonic Team always had the same speed in the classics, they brought that to Adventure 1 and half of 2, and it worked. They removed it from Sonic 06 and look at what we got. It's painfull to play with anyone besides Sonic(then again, it's painfull to play with Sonic as well, but I'm talking about concept). So NO, don't slow characters down in order to just show "Sanic is da fastest".

Edited by Jango

Just because Sonic would be the fastest doesn't mean the others would be slow. Sonic would just be faster, if only by a little bit, to give him some sort of advantage. If not that, maybe give him some wacky free running/parkour moves or something to make him feel more super speedster-y than his friends, even if they move at around the same speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Free running and parkour moves would be pretty cool looking, and fit the part. But fancy stuff like that would be set pieces or QTE kinda like the current tricks unless they make it work like the wall jump where pressing a certain button on a particular surface made him pull off those moves.

The wall jump could be called a "parkour move", huh?

Should find whatever bar Mighty is hanging out in these days and ask him. "Sonic doesn't know where his older friends have gone" my ass, how did he learn the wall kick/jump in between games then?

To be fair tho I guess he used those kinda moves in Sonic CD's intro, kicking off the rocks during his run through that rocky bit, and off the rocks on the way up the chain. Doing those moves in game would have been cool.

Edited by Tenko
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just because Sonic would be the fastest doesn't mean the others would be slow. Sonic would just be faster, if only by a little bit, to give him some sort of advantage. If not that, maybe give him some wacky free running/parkour moves or something to make him feel more super speedster-y than his friends, even if they move at around the same speed.

This is more of what I'm talking about than making anyone Werehog slow, or anything. I wouldn't mind something more along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikEmBlLM5v8. His glide appears a bit slower than his running speed to make it less broken.

And yes I would like to make Amy more speedy without turning her into a female Sonic clone. Using her hammer to help define her and build off some of the speedier gameplay she's shown in the Advance series games.

Edited by EuroMIX

Well Famitsu's out and no sign of LW, Woun you're starting to becoming way less credible...

Well Famitsu's out and no sign of LW, Woun you're starting to becoming way less credible...

That's a nice thing to say.

Regardless, I posted a while ago about the 'source' of LW being in Famitsu although it seemed everyone ignored me. Here it is again, an article on Famitsu's site:

Original Text:

ソニック ロスト ワールド』

Wii U・ニンテンドー3DS/2013年秋発売予定/価格未定

一枚だけ、イメージビジュアルが公開された『ソニック』シリーズ最新作。さまざまな要素は、今月中にも公開される予定とのこと。

Google Translate:

" Sonic Lost World " will be released fall / price undecided Wii U · Nintendo 3DS/2013 years only one piece, the published visual image " Sonic "The latest series. Various elements, and that will be published later this month as well.

Doesn't say anything about LW being in the next (current) issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a nice thing to say.

Regardless, I posted a while ago about the 'source' of LW being in Famitsu although it seemed everyone ignored me. Here it is again, an article on Famitsu's site:

Doesn't say anything about LW being in the next (current) issue.

Sorry it came as rude, it's just that Woun twice now claimed stuff was coming, both for Monday, and then in Famitsu.

And he was a super sleuth during the Colors era. :(

Sorry it came as rude, it's just that Woun twice now claimed stuff was coming, both for Monday, and then in Famitsu.

And he was a super sleuth during the Colors era. :(

Guess Sega's cracking down on keeping things secret after the Generations level leak.

Guess Sega's cracking down on keeping things secret after the Generations level leak.

The Generations level leak was kinda tough. Jazwares indirectly leaked it through their new line, but people couldn't bet on it for sure until more of the game was shown off. Then we had reported lists of the levels being leaked, but they weren't confirmed. Then SEGA went full stupid and left all of the data in the demo they gave out to the public. Most of this info was in textures, so the textures could have just been changed to a completely black canvas with absolutely no risk of leaking crucial info. Other info would have been little bit more difficult to disguise, but I'm sure they could have done if they tried. Or they could have not released a demo. They brought that leak upon themselves.

So far LW is doing great on the leaks front. Nothing was leaked over the past months. The only thing we learned about what the game name due to trademarking and web domains. But like, that was less than a single day before the announcement. No harm done.

That and the supposed Facebook leak, but I guess we won't be able to say for sure until this shilouetted "guardian" pic shows up there properly come the 29th or whatever

That and the supposed Facebook leak, but I guess we won't be able to say for sure until this shilouetted "guardian" pic shows up there properly come the 29th or whatever

I figured this would be the case. That said, how do you guys think the guardians would be like?

I'm kinda hoping that more than just what was supposedly leaked on FB will be revealed on the 29th, I'd like to know what the gameplay for this game is like.

Edited by Solid SOAP
  • Thumbs Up 2