Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Technically, this isn't a Sonic and Mario crossover. Yoshi's Island is considered its own thing while being in the Mario setting. It's how Brawl does it, at least.

/stupidly pedantic

I know that what I am about to say is going to get a lot of hate or some form of people disliking it but I can't stand the idea of having a yoski's island DLC or a (rumored) Zelda.  Now I'm not saying they are bad (I have never played anything even similar to Yoshi's island) but I feel as though both franchises should be split, Nintendo stick with Nintendo, SEGA stick with SEGA.  I don't mind crossovers but I like them by the same company.  Why couldn't Sonic Team use Billy Hatcher and The Giant Egg for the Yoshi's island level or use Golden Axe for the Zelda level.  It just really ticks me off.

Also before anyone states Smash Bros about what I just said, Smash Bros is a spin off series and is Non Canon to any of the franchises it uses and the same goes for the Olympic games series and All Stars Racing series.

I know that what I am about to say is going to get a lot of hate or some form of people disliking it but I can't stand the idea of having a yoski's island DLC or a (rumored) Zelda.  Now I'm not saying they are bad (I have never played anything even similar to Yoshi's island) but I feel as though both franchises should be split, Nintendo stick with Nintendo, SEGA stick with SEGA.  I don't mind crossovers but I like them by the same company.  Why couldn't Sonic Team use Billy Hatcher and The Giant Egg for the Yoshi's island level or use Golden Axe for the Zelda level.  It just really ticks me off.

Also before anyone states Smash Bros about what I just said, Smash Bros is a spin off series and is Non Canon to any of the franchises it uses and the same goes for the Olympic games series and All Stars Racing series.

Metal Gear Solid references Mario and Yoshi a few times.

... then why are you fine with them still using Billy Hatcher or Golden Axe in their place, and avoiding the subject of the NiGHTS content that's also here which was also a thing back in both Adventure games? Whether it's from a different company or not, it's still crossing the streams and apparently a 'canon' issue somehow when they're just meant to be fun little indulgences.

It's just some nudge-wink on SEGA's side to go with the Nintendo Exclusivity deal that Sonic is still in the middle of (and I personally have high hopes for following Lost World and now these nice little things -after the game was finished-), not to mention it's lovely for SEGA to be returning the favour to Nintendo after Sonic was the most requested guest of honour for Brawl, and now the lone returning third-party character for the new game as a veteran.

I mean, clearly Mario being Nintendo's guest of honour for both All-Stars Racing games as repayment was asking for too little, right? :P

I fine with Billy Hatcher and Golden Axe because they are owned by SEGA, not the other way around.  Sorry but I can't help but feel as though SEGA have become what they always fought against and has just ticked me off.

SEGA vs Nintendo.  Genesis (Megadrive) vs SNES, Mario vs Sonic.  Seriously was that not clear?

Why is anyone hung up on this?

Yeah yeah I get it, SLW is really Mario/Nintendo-esque and not very Sonic-y. I've said that myself a good many times! Yoshi's Island was a bit of a random throw in and yes it does make it a bit closer to being a very Mario-ish Sonic game; but at least it's a bit self aware now.

It's not even that offensive or surprising anyways. Tekken, Rayman Legends, Just Dance, Hyrule Warriors and SMTxFireEmblem kinda shows that Nintendo's into crossing over their stuff with third parties as of late. Besides, it's one free DLC level.

Also its adorable and a fun little level except those pirhana plants they can go where the sun don't shine

• Thumbs Up 9

I guess it's a neat little additional level that doesn't do any harm, especially since it's free, but at this point, I just want the 3 Nintendo-exclusive games deal to be over and done with; get that last game done and out (which will most likely be sometime next year), so the series can go back to being multi-platform, SEGA. I want moar PC Sanics to enjoy.

You know I could probably let the whole Nintendo-esque sonic DLC if this game just wasn't a disappointment to me from the get go.  The Wii U exclusivity, the Mario galaxy like levels, Sonic doing his Inner Assassin's Creed (seriously am I the only one who saw this, the 3 speeds and the parkour, it just screams Assassin's Creed) and now the yoshi's DLC.  This game was just a full disappointment to me and the Nintendo based DLC just makes things worse for me in my opinion.

...people have wanted Sonic to use parkour for some time now, so I don't see how it is now a Assassins Creed rip off(especially since AC didn't even create the thing.)

You know I could probably let the whole Nintendo-esque sonic DLC if this game just wasn't a disappointment to me from the get go.  The Wii U exclusivity, the Mario galaxy like levels, Sonic doing his Inner Assassin's Creed (seriously am I the only one who saw this, the 3 speeds and the parkour, it just screams Assassin's Creed) and now the yoshi's DLC.  This game was just a full disappointment to me and the Nintendo based DLC just makes things worse for me in my opinion.

Saying that Sonic doing parkour is "doing his inner Assassin's Creed" is fishing if I've ever seen it.  I've barely played the AC games but anyone who's even touched them would know that mechanically they're not even remotely close to the AC games.  This comparison is honestly asinine.  At least the Mario comparisons make sense.

Assassin's Creed is responsible for championing parkour in games, but the tiered movement speeds isn't of any relation. You're much better off chalking that simply towards the recent fan outcry for a mixture between fast and slow gameplay that gives players control. That and the parkour system were pretty much direct answers from SEGA. And even beyond that, parkour is, in essence, real life platforming and speed running. I can't think of much else that would be a better fit for Sonic.

Parkour = yay

Lost World's parkour = nay

Sonic meets Jet Set Radio + Parkour = what Lost World should have been

• Thumbs Up 7

I wasn't fishing it was literally what I thought of as soon as I first saw lost world.  In AC in order to move faster you have to keep hold of certain buttons, just like in lost world.  If you want to do Parkour or Free Running you have to be going at a certain speed, just like in Lost World.  Can someone please at least understand where I'm coming from.  The similarities feel really obvious.

Games with parkour have literally always needed you to hold a button or be at a certain speed and parkour games have been around for waaaaay longer than Assassin's Creed. Maybe you felt the similarities were obvious because you haven't played many games with parkour in them.

They're not copying AC they're using a virtually industry-standardised genre convention. No one gets mad at games where you run with one button and jump with the other.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uh... you can't exactly free-walk, so of course you have to be moving at a certain speed to use parkour in SLW. Let's not forget that the top speed in this game specifically prevents you from using parkour too. It's about as substantial a comparison as jumping being your main form of attack in both Mario and Sonic. They're standards.

well, I have to say this is a surprisingly effective move from a  marketing point of view.

But to be honest, it's also kind of sad to see Sonic that needs to be Nintendo's b***h to gain more interest from people.

I guess we were lucky enough to get a NIGHTS cameo in Sonic Lost World.

Let's hope for more SEGA themed level after the Zelda one.

At this point, I'd expect Sonic to be a guest star in Mario kart 8 too...

• Thumbs Up 1

I just had a thought.

What if the entire point of SLW is to please the Nintendo fans?

Well, I mean, duh, of course that's the reason for it, but think about it. Nintendo fans went about two years without any Sonic support, (three years if you don't count Generafterthough 3DS) all because of system limitations. Naturally they weren't pleased with this. So what does SEGA do? They release an exclusive Sonic game for the Wii U and 3DS. But it didn't stop there. It became a Sonic game that took most elements from the series that a Nintendo fan would likely enjoy most, wrapped it up into one game, and then topped it all off with Nintendo crossover DLC. So why is this game pandering to Nintendo fans so much?

Well, maybe it's because SEGA is stockpiling a harvest for this specific town before the drought comes in, if you know what I mean.

Well, maybe it's because SEGA is stockpiling a harvest for this specific town before the drought comes in, if you know what I mean.

No!

I refuse to miss out on another anniversary game because I didn't buy the "right console"

I just had a thought.

What if the entire point of SLW is to please the Nintendo fans?

IIRC in an interview Iizuka said he wanted to attract Mario fans with Lost World.

No!

I refuse to miss out on another anniversary game because I didn't buy the "right console"

Isn't that what you did for the tenth and fifteenth anniversary games anyway?

After all, if you didn't buy a Dreamcast or a Gamecube on the tenth anniversary, you missed out on that game.

And if you never had a PS3 or X360, you missed the fifteenth anniversary - although it's not like many people would be sad they missed that one.

Yes, Generations was on as many consoles as possible within the current generation as it could be, but that's only because it could be. Doesn't mean SEGA has to repeat that.