Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Free Riders did pop-up first officially at Microsoft's E3 press conference, so maybe this new Sonic game will appear at the new Xbox reveal event first.

Sonic Free Riders did pop-up first officially at Microsoft's E3 press conference, so maybe this new Sonic game will appear at the new Xbox reveal event first.

I don't find it out of the question. Not to mention that it will be a great move to announce a Sonic game in an event that all people will have their eyes on. 

Like Sonic or not its still publicity and people will talk about it

Free Riders was an Xbox exclusive though.

Free Riders was an Xbox exclusive though.

Haven't games that are not exclusive been advertised at Microsoft and Sony conferences before?

• Thumbs Up 1

Haven't games that are not exclusive been advertised at Microsoft and Sony conferences before?

CoD: Ghosts is getting its gameplay reveal at the Xbox event next week, despite that game coming out on like everything.

Well Knux coming back in  a bigger  role would be great! and hmmm lost world, maybe they might bring back a forgotten character or two XD

CoD: Ghosts is getting its gameplay reveal at the Xbox event next week, despite that game coming out on like everything.

CoD is the biggest franchise in gaming. Sonic is still seen as a bit of a joke.

CoD is currently the biggest gaming franchise this generation and Microsoft has only secured the next-gen reveal because they like having exclusivity for things they know will drag in money.

Sonic only breaks roughly a million each title, except for the storybook games which completely bombed. Free Riders didn't even get a reveal, it's existence and purported "exclusive reveal" slipped thanks to the flowchart showing Kinect games. Not much of a fanfare there.

• Thumbs Up 1

CoD is the biggest franchise in gaming. Sonic is still seen as a bit of a joke.

Maybe.......the game's actually so good that they convinced Microsoft to show it at their expo?

@overlyoptimistic 

CoD is currently the biggest gaming franchise this generation and Microsoft has only secured the next-gen reveal because they like having exclusivity for things they know will drag in money.

CoD? Pfft. I think GTA still holds that.

Sonic & The Lost Worlds eh?

It sounds like it could be either amazingly cool, or amazingly gimmicky. Everyone is instantly turning to dinosaurs, though you could also go for any mythology or movie that has done a 'below the surface of the earth' type thing, so monsters, lost civilisations, mythical creatures etc.

But Sega... take your time with this...

In the past, you've stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it...

tin-tote-sonic-gold-rings-b.jpg

and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now *bangs fist on the table* You're selling it.

Sonic only breaks roughly a million each title, except for the storybook games which completely bombed.

Black Knight perhaps, but Secret Rings? That thing charted for ages. It was one of the "must-have" Wii titles early on in the systems life.
  • Thumbs Up 2

CoD? Pfft. I think GTA still holds that.

Ubisoft FY report revealed that GTA is only 16th in the top selling franchises this generation. Call of Duty holds number one. Sonic holds 20th.

I don't see how that's a surprise, or how anyone could come to any other conclusion. GTA has only had one game and a bunch of expansions with a new game only coming this Fall. Call of Duty gets a game practically every year, and each one breaks pre-order records and goes on to sell over five million each title.

Black Knight perhaps, but Secret Rings? That thing charted for ages. It was one of the "must-have" Wii titles early on in the systems life.

Right, selective memory on my part from seeing Secret Rings in a bunch of bargain bins after the launch hype wore out. Secret Rings did alright, Black Knight was a total failure.

Sonic doesn't have a good reputation no, but if SEGA wanted to put a lot money into attention and actually getting the series a better reputation again, this may be a decent way to do it is all.

I personally don't think it would happen, I was merely pointing out that it doesn't need to be exclusive to be revealed at a Microsoft event.

Also, The Cheese said in a status update that the trademark mentioned phone games? So is it going to be a phone game afterall or is it going to be the first new game to be released on phones as well as consoles?

Edited by SuperLink

Sonic doesn't have a good reputation no, but if SEGA wanted to put a lot money into attention and actually getting the series a better reputation again, this may be a decent way to do it is all.

I personally don't think it would happen, I'm just saying it's not an impossibility just because it won't be exclusive.

Also, The Cheese said in a status update that the trademark mentioned phone games? So is it going to be a phone game afterall or is it going to be the first new game to be released on phones as well as consoles?

Since it has patents for both mobile platforms and consoles, it'll most likely be on both. 

Filing for a trademark means you have reigns in using the name and a property in various circumstances but it doesn't guarantee it's being utilized for all the purposes that it mentions. Chalk it up to the name simply covering the mantle "video games". It's simply a property that Sega wants reigns on across all possible mediums.

It's possible but a mobile game is no guarantee on that alone.

If this turns out to be true, I'll be so hyped to see Knuckles getting some spotlight. If there's any character that needs reintroducing, its gotta be Knuckles.

But judging by the games title, something's telling me this is just another app game. Then again, would registering a site domain indicate that it's something much bigger?

Edited by TheCakeMiester

Sonic & The Lost Worlds eh?

It sounds like it could be either amazingly cool, or amazingly gimmicky. Everyone is instantly turning to dinosaurs, though you could also go for any mythology or movie that has done a 'below the surface of the earth' type thing, so monsters, lost civilisations, mythical creatures etc.

So Sonic's new friend in this game will be a dinosaur?  Here's hoping it's a feathered one.

(Only half-joking.)

Oooooh, this is interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tightly for another improvement in the daytime stage styled gameplay, packed with stages built like Generations' Modern Seaside Hill, having lots of paths and layers and rewarding the player for exploration. The title "Lost World(s)" really makes me think. "Lost World"? Sonic and friends have been in so many, what's so special about this one? Is the game gonna take place in, like, Atlantis? Is this gonna be some sort of DC and SEGA crossover where Sonic teams up with Aquaman?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oooooh, this is interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tightly for another improvement in the daytime stage styled gameplay, packed with stages built like Generations' Modern Seaside Hill, having lots of paths and layers and rewarding the player for exploration. The title "Lost World(s)" really makes me think. "Lost World"? Sonic and friends have been in so many, what's so special about this one? Is the game gonna take place in, like, Atlantis? Is this gonna be some sort of DC and SEGA crossover where Sonic teams up with Aquaman?

This, although I'd also be fine with a new gameplay style as long as it's good. 

It won't be mobile. We already had Dash in the last few months. A mobile wouldn't make much sense until Dash has aged a bit I think. Basic finance: avoid cannibalising your market share. That is, don't release similar things too close together.

Storybook, possible, but I dunno. I did like Black Knight so I would be warm to this.

Though we've already had spinoffs the prior year so we're about due for a main title, I think. SEGA alternates main titles and side ones.

Unrelated information to anything right now but Ubisoft's FY revealed the top 20 most selling franchises within the last 8 years in the industry. Guess who slipped on the 20th spot.

Well, that's promising. And this includes the days where Sonic kind of sucked as far as most people were concerned. With Colors and Generations the next decade could fare much better...

Though like Hogfather posted I am curious how they decide how to sort racing titles and the Olympics.

Oh shit, actually with Hunnid P saying he's doing the music for the next Sonic game, this...actually fits with my whole possible Knuckles Tribe theory....HOLY SHIT GUYS REMEMBER THIS COMMENT FOR THE FUTURE!

Ya know, originally this was being used as evidence for a long-awaited SA3, but I actually think this is somewhat plausible.

I mean, since the games are ultimately geared towards kids, it's not like they need the most high quality rap in the world.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

If this is some Dino era based sonic game and they have a new character join the cast who's a dinosaur...oh god.