Awoo.

Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

I can't figure out how to get the Star Coin on top of the giant egg in Yoshi Park.  I collect the music block item which is clearly needed to get to such heights, but every time I use it it either doesn't make it to the top of the egg or sails clean over the star coin.

Just now got that Coin. I found Bowser Jr. to be the best person to get it - His 210 yard drive puts him at just the right position to use the Note Block. Use your 1W club and aim just in front of the leftmost Note Block, and add a Backspin for your first shot. That should make the ball roll into the block, and prevent the ball from rolling into the rough. Don't let it settle in the Rough, otherwise you're not going to hit far and high enough. For the second shot, equip the Note Block, switch to the 3H club, toggle the distance to about 176-182 yards, depending on wind direction, and aim for the Rough or Heavy Rough behind the giant egg. Assuming you hit the ball dead center, don't align the shot too early or late, and the wind speed is 4 mph or less, the ball will coast just over the egg, grab the coin, and hit the rough without going OB. After that just get to the green as you normally would.

Just now got that Coin. I found Bowser Jr. to be the best person to get it - His 210 yard drive puts him at just the right position to use the Note Block. Use your 1W club and aim just in front of the leftmost Note Block, and add a Backspin for your first shot. That should make the ball roll into the block, and prevent the ball from rolling into the rough. Don't let it settle in the Rough, otherwise you're not going to hit far and high enough. For the second shot, switch to the 3H club, toggle the distance to about 176-182 yards, depending on wind direction, and aim for the Rough or Heavy Rough behind the giant egg. Assuming you hit the ball dead center, don't align the shot too early or late, and the wind speed is 4 mph or less, the ball will coast just over the egg, grab the coin, and hit the rough without going OB. After that just get to the green as you normally would.

As simple as that huh @_@

But really, thanks, I'll try that next time.

I try to be as specific as possible when describing how to do things. :x And yet I forgot to mention actually using the Note Block for the second shot, lol

But I tried that method 3 more times to ensure it wasn't a fluke, and it worked out all three times. Just be sure to align the putt right, since Jr.'s enormous nose obstructs your initial putting view, lol.

Now to figure out how to get the Star Coin in the second Yoshi Lake challenge. That one's a bigger pain...

Is that the one over the pool of water?  I can't work that one out OR the one on Seaside Course that also requires an Ice Flower.  I get that we have to land in the water, but the bouncing across the water is so low I don't get how we're expected to make it back to dry land before the ball stops.  I assumed the ice flower would basically make water act as ground for one turn but apparently not.

Yeah, the one over the pool of water. And I just now got that one too, luckily. You need to have a perfectly timed shot and a Super Topspin to get the ball over the lake's bank, because the Ice Flower's power is not going to get you over the water alone no matter which way the ball enters the lake.

I beat the one-putt-one-on challenge and unlocked the final course, Sky Island. I can't stop playing this freaking game, I have only 2 Star Characters left to unlock (DK and Bowser). Also, I never really explained the communities I set up, so here are there actually rule sets. Not these are open to change.

[sSMB Club] 08-5856-3964-6752

Match Play

Everybody votes on Courses

Characters restricted to non-star Mario characters only

No Items

9 Holes

Back Tee Position

No Club Slots

No Coins

Flight Path On

Normal Wind

Take Turns

50 Second Turn Limit

[sSMB Free Play] 16-5055-5934-3060

Match Play

Everyone votes on Courses

All Characters Allowed

Items set to random

Nine Holes

Normal Tee Position

No Slots

No Coins

Flight Path On

Normal Wind

50 second turn limit

I also created a tournament for the week.

[sSMB Mii Open] 20-3409-1141 From May 7th-May to 14th ending at 8 PM Eastern Standard Time.

Stroke Play

Forest Course

Mii Only

Items off

All 18 Holes

Tournament Tee Position

No Slots

No Coins

Flight Path on

Wind Normal

• Thumbs Up 1

I beat the one-putt-one-on challenge and unlocked the final course, Sky Island.

Sweeeeet.  I haven't managed it yet but I was hoping that'd be the reward for the challenge.  It's such a beautiful course both visually and musically, and I'd love to be able to enjoy it at my own pace eventually.

Since I dunno how many courses there are total, and you said Star Coins are required for the secret characters - do you need to beat EVERY challenge to get all characters or can I skip over some ones I'm finding too hard?  I assume so since otherwise that'd mean you'd NEED to buy DLC to get all characters lol.

You only need 55 Star Coins total to unlock all the extra characters. The only reward for getting all of them is unlocking MOON coin challenges, which are even harder, and finishing those gets you a costume that doesn't really help at all.

Okay cool.  I love this game but not enough for 100% completion beyond characters and courses, so guess I won't stress myself out over challenges I'm finding too hard.

I beat the one-putt-one-on challenge and unlocked the final course, Sky Island.

Awesome, dude!

I need to go back on that after I flesh my Mii a little more. The last time I attempted it. I made it all the way to the 9th hole and missed because I undershot the birdie putt by a hair. Rage was had. So. Much. Rage.

Anyway, sweet. I'll be sure to check out the Mii open whenever I can. The weekend approaches, so I'll have plenty of time to check it out.

The Game Boy equipment you get from doing the World Tournament 1 is pretty good in terms of control and sweet spot, just find the right club to go along with it. Unlike general golf, the one-on-one-putt pretty much needs high control and sweet spot.

After playing some 6 hole Stroke Play in other communities, I'm wondering if 9 holes will take too long with turns. I want these communities to be ones we can have fun in, so I'm thinking of changing it to 6 or going simultaneous. I really think turns is what makes it so fun, though.

Edit: There's only 3 Days left to participate in the Mii Open, I also made a second tournament.

[sSMB Classic] 67-8819-5820-5018

18 Hole Course

Toad Highlands DLC Pack

Mario Characters only (except for Gold Mario)

No Items

No Star Characters

Runs from 5/11-5/19

Think I've nearly unlocked everything now so I'll try and make an effort to participate in those tourneys. C=

The tournament seriously ends at 8 PM EST today. Come on, someone, join up. You have a 100% chance of getting a trophy right now.

I tried to do the Mii Tournament but the code is invalid.  There aren't enough numbers to fill up the whole box, even.

EDIT: Did the other one and you probably have it in the bag anyway...  Ended up with a pathetic score of -1 after having a really strong start and then getting two double bogeys in a row due to stupid reasons.  I might have gotten really pissed off and just not given a shit for the last few holes as a result lol.  Maybe next time.

Well, that's my own damn fault that no one joined the Mii one, then. I put down the wrong code. There's only 3 hours left.

20-3409-6517-1141

I was able to compete in the Mii Tournament just now. Came out with a nice -12. Made two Eagles, only one Bogey and the rest were Par and Birdies. Would had a better chance to score a third Eagle if I had remember to add a Super topspin on that shot close to the green.

Felt pretty good about that! I've also downloaded the Season Pass for the DLC, so I'll practice on Toad Highlands for a bit before I jump into that.

The Mii Open is over, there were only 2 of us due to my screw up! I came in first with -16. Note that the number of coins you get in the post results pay off is dependent on players that participated, so if more enter in the Mario characters tournament you can make plenty to spend on customizing your Mii's gear, impact type, mulligans, etc.

Bumping because the Flower Pack released tonight. I'd suggest using your Mii or Star Characters on the 2 new courses, because they're reskins of later Mario Golf 64 course which were designed around much longer drives than most of the standard characters have. For instance. Mario's drive in Mario Golf 64? 270 Yards.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow it's been out this long?  I came here to bump the topic myself because the game only notified me of it with the spotpass icon today!  Even then I had to try and join a tournament on Sparkling Waters to be able to shove the game into trying to update, since connecting to the shop in Toad's Booth kept giving me communication errors.

Shame to hear these are N64 Mario Golf reskins, I thought the rest of the DLC was going to be new content.  Ah well, I barely played N64 Mario Golf so no issues with me really.

Not so late on the mark this time, bumping to say that the Star Pack, featuring Rock-Candy Mines, Mario's Star and Rosalina is now available!  Like before I can't connect to the eShop via Toad's Booth, but was able to get them by just going onto Mario Golf -> Tournaments and attempting to do a DLC Trial Tour, forcing the game to update and realising I'm meant to have the full version (since I purchased the 3-pack).

I also FINALLY beat the damn Sky Island challenge, so the void in my course select menu, and heart, has been filled, thank goodness.

EDIT: Oh my god fuck right off Mario Golf.

I worked my ass off to unlock Sky Island because I love the aesthetics and music and was pissed off that I could only play it in the context of the stupid challenge.  I wanted to enjoy that music and aesthetics in a relaxed playstyle.

The regular version of the course doesn't use that music I love.  It uses the fucking Mario 3 Athletic theme - y'know coz they didn't overuse that in Galaxy and 3D Land as it was.

Ughhh.