Awoo.

Summer of Sonic 2013

Swiss

If anyone here knows the usual gap between Summer of Sonic's announcement and the actual date, it'd be appreciated! It'd definitely help with creating more accurate theories and the like.

I can't remember the exact timings, but there's definitely been a longer gap than there will be this year. I may be wrong but if memory serves me correctly the actual event has usually been announced around 3-4 months before the date of the event, and then around this sort of time with 1-2 months to go we're starting to apply for tickets and the like. Whatever's holding it up this year, I hope it gets resolved soon, otherwise it's going to be an absolute mad dash for the SoS team to reveal all the details and get the tickets out.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes but I get the impression it's more "disorganisation" than "planned announcements" on SEGA's part. I'd like to think that if SEGA were purposely holding back on an announcement they would have at least had the courtesy to let the SoS crew know in advance - it's been, what, two months or more now since the teaser website went live? I doubt that'd go public so early if they knew they'd be waiting til the end of June before they could even update it.

Let's just hope, whatever the case, something gets sorted before long.

I do hope that its in August, September wouldn't be a huge mess for me (as long as its on the weekend due to college). Buy August gives me time to arrange shifts that are much more flexible at work (whereby I could work the day before or day after).

I'm most likely able to go this year for the first time ever, as long as its at a decent time I should be able to go, if not... I'll be missing out again

I can't remember the exact timings, but there's definitely been a longer gap than there will be this year. I may be wrong but if memory serves me correctly the actual event has usually been announced around 3-4 months before the date of the event, and then around this sort of time with 1-2 months to go we're starting to apply for tickets and the like. Whatever's holding it up this year, I hope it gets resolved soon, otherwise it's going to be an absolute mad dash for the SoS team to reveal all the details and get the tickets out.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes but I get the impression it's more "disorganisation" than "planned announcements" on SEGA's part. I'd like to think that if SEGA were purposely holding back on an announcement they would have at least had the courtesy to let the SoS crew know in advance - it's been, what, two months or more now since the teaser website went live? I doubt that'd go public so early if they knew they'd be waiting til the end of June before they could even update it.

Ah, thank you for the input!

3 months places it in September, but it seems odd they'd place it then of all places... Not really Summer-ish, now is it? More in line with the Metal Sonic theme, but the schedule conflict it'd cause with the young fanbase seems unwise. Then again with how quick tickets get mobbed, that would cut into demand and make it less of a rush to get ahold of one.

I'm just curious what SEGA's up to because they're more hands on with this one. It sounds like normally the fans do the core of the work while SEGA Europe provides some trimmings and some official support. So why are they taking so long this year compared to others? Were they waiting until Lost World's E3 debut before announcing its presence at Summer of Sonic? Seems odd they'd do that, so I really wonder. I know SEGA's more clamped down on information this year, but that strikes me as odd regardless.

We can keep hoping there is some actual plan to all this and SEGA isn't just being completely disorganised. It does seem rather strange they'd put such a stranglehold on an event that's primarily for the fans, by the fans.

Either way I hope the announcement of SoS and Sonic Boom is joint like last year's. Otherwise I will probably cry!

I now have to hope that SoS will be in August since I'm on holiday in July. September would work for me, but I have to agree it would be strange to hold it during that month.

I'm going to be gutted if I end up missing SoS this year, but sadly this is the consequence of a late announcement.

I'm going to be gutted if I end up missing SoS this year, but sadly this is the consequence of a late announcement.

Precisely. It sounds like a lot of the regulars will not make it if they don't hurry up and make an announcement soon. The event will be full regardless of date given Sonic's popularity and the different demographics of the UK, but a lot of the regulars probably wouldn't be there.

Which is why I'm honestly hoping SEGA's keeping a tight lid on things for a good reason and not just suffering from administrative incompetence.

...well that and I'm kind of hoping they are likewise keeping a tight lid on their American event and not just not holding one... *twiddles thumbs*

I do hope that its in August, September wouldn't be a huge mess for me (as long as its on the weekend due to college). Buy August gives me time to arrange shifts that are much more flexible at work (whereby I could work the day before or day after).

I'm most likely able to go this year for the first time ever, as long as its at a decent time I should be able to go, if not... I'll be missing out again

August, yes. September, no. September wouldn't work for me as i got a lot of college stuff happening

September wouldn't work for me as i got a lot of college stuff happening

Indeed, this is a common problem. :(

I go to school online generally, so provided I had a passport, I could most certainly attend SoS. It'd be expensive as all hell I'm sure (my friend's told me how enormous costs can get over in Europe, and in a big metropolitan area like London it goes without saying), but it'd be soooo worth it.

However, I don't have one currently; I'd get one in a heartbeat for SoS, but first I kind of need a date before I establish if it'd even be worth the long wait of about six weeks.

Then there's the hurdle of my mother letting me leave the country. She says she doesn't want me going somewhere I don't know the bad areas, yet in the same heartbeat she said she'd let me go to San Francisco (which neither of us have been to). Translation: what she's really saying is she has this assumption every other country is a warzone like Iraq or something. laugh.png

Haha England isn't a warzone at all :P

I found it FAR more jarring going to America considering you don't really tip anyone over here unless they are a waiter/waitress!

I found it FAR more jarring going to America considering you don't really tip anyone over here unless they are a waiter/waitress!

I've never tipped anyone who wasn't in food service before either.

I'd definitely need to learn British customs though given that I'd want to do more than just go to Summer of Sonic if I went out of my way to fly to the UK... that's one hell of an airline flight! Maybe book a room in Alton Towers or something...

I've never tipped anyone who wasn't in food service before either.

I'd definitely need to learn British customs though given that I'd want to do more than just go to Summer of Sonic if I went out of my way to fly to the UK... that's one hell of an airline flight! Maybe book a room in Alton Towers or something...

British customs, you say? Well I can give you a few.

We drive on the right side of the road, we use the metric system, we spell colour with a "u"... Or do you need to know anything more specific?

British customs, you say? Well I can give you a few.

We drive on the right side of the road, we use the metric system, we spell colour with a "u"... Or do you need to know anything more specific?

...I... am not so sure I'd really need to know any of that barring the first part to get around... :P

Not having to tip bellhops and the like certainly makes my day however! Anything to keep the expenses down...

The good news for me is there's better mass transit there so my inability to drive a vehicle is not as much of a handicap.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm the odd one out in saying September is fine for me. biggrin.png

But for younger fans, yes September is difficult. It depends on when the school year starts, for example I seem to remember some schools have July instead of August off, and September has a half term.

However I'm really anxious for some news. I want to know if I can get a ticket so I can plan to book time off, flights and hopefully meet up with people!

Edited by MamboCat

However I'm really anxious for some news. I want to know if I can get a ticket so I can plan to book time off, flights and hopefully meet up with people!

I know the kneejerk comment is "you've been saying that for months," but we are bound to get something soon. We've got the game, Japan's getting a birthday party, we're starting to hear about more of SEGA's news in general... plus we're getting danerously close to the cutoff date for a lot of people. Never mind the fact it looks even like the official organizers are anxious to reveal stuff as well. Once again, I really hope this is a case of SEGA having some sort of plans and not a case of accidentally putting all of Summer of Sonic's messages to them in the spam folder.

All it takes is one careless intern to...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

At last the wait is over! ...well, so we think. We all know how this goes, mates.

...now to nab myself a passport so I have a backup plan in case SEGA America doesn't announce anything. I'll be quite frank here - I wish they'd just confirm or deny if there's an event at all so I could just lay the issue to rest and get on with my Summer plans.

£)ourz = 30 hours?  =O

Oh is that what it means?

And the tweet went out 9 hours ago so....

21 hours to go until they announce Big the cats new game?

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah, excellent news! Looking forward to finding out when this will be! I suppose it would be a weekend, hasn't SoS always been a Saturday?

or was it a Friday last year?! I don't remember!!

Friday and Saturday are always a good day to hold things if your goal is turnout since it's the weekend. Though turnout obviously isn't a problem for this... Friday/Saturday would just be because it would easily fit into people's schedules. Thank you cultural traditions!

Ah, excellent news! Looking forward to finding out when this will be! I suppose it would be a weekend, hasn't SoS always been a Saturday?   or was it a Friday last year?! I don't remember!!
SoS has always been on a Saturday so I see no reason why this year would be any different.

Friday and Saturday are always a good day to hold things if your goal is turnout since it's the weekend. Though turnout obviously isn't a problem for this... Friday/Saturday would just be because it would easily fit into people's schedules. Thank you cultural traditions!

Whuh...? Friday's a schoolday like any other. 

http://twitter.com/summerofsonic/status/347324449642655744

Looks like we have an announcement incoming, folks!

I don't know about anyone else, but -I- plan on celebrating by going out to eat somewhere nice for breakfast.

...while maintaining the idle hope SEGA America isn't too far behind... :(

And the final stretch of waiting begins...

EDIT: The website now has '2013' at the beginning of the URL. That wasn't there yesterday... *excitement raises*

Indeed. If you change the number to another year it lets you see recaps of that year. :)