Awoo.

Summer of Sonic 2013

Swiss

Again this isn't confirmation of anything... but I heard this argument last year and I was really bothered about how much it was gonna cost me to get from Hull/London to Brighton.

Thats how much a train ticket was from London to Brighton. A 40 min journey costing £3.30, and loads of people took advantage of this.

Regardless as to where SOS is gonna be this year, theres always guides and advice as to how to get to it without paying a fortune or spending hours and hours stuck on transport.

It's gone up to somewhere between £5 and £7.50. Which is still pretty cheap but it means you can't afford to miss any trains.

On that note, if you're travelling on the tube add another 15-30 minutes to the estimate they give you. It takes longer than you'd think to ride the escalators.

Edit: Of course, this only matters if it ends up being in Brighton.

Edited by Gerk Marenghis Darkplace

But of course it depends on tickets, money and begging my boss for some time off... I'm also worried that being older than a lot of fellow fans might make it weird.

I completely agree with everything you say here. I'm 27 and I always feel really old when people on here say things that point out how young they are, like talking about school friends or running out of space for collection stuff in their bedroom, or saying the very first Sonic game they played was Heroes or whatever.

And I'll be VERY lucky to even get a ticket, and equally as lucky to be able to get the time off work!

If I had a van (or like a coach)...also a license to drive I would totally carpool EVERYONE. I kinda want SOS to be in London for cheapskates sake but at the same time despite how much it poured down in Brighton I really enjoyed going out of the city, not to mention being at the beach it felt like a proper Summer of Sonic. I personally would love another seaside venue after saying that.

Also Mambocat, Hardstone, I don't think you'll be out of place with your age, there's a lot of older folk around at SOS, after all Sonic's been around a while. Hell those who've been going since the first SOS aren't exactly young'uns anymore (including me who turns 23 next week) XD But either way, don't focus too much on age just focus on being the sonic fans you are and you'll enjoy yourselves a lot!

• Thumbs Up 2

I tried and failed to attend last year.

If they workout a better system for tickets and stuff, I might be able to make it this year. I'm gonna have a jolly good try, but I still have intense anxiety about being in public with a large group of people. But I really want to socialize and make new friends.

I tried and failed to attend last year.

If they workout a better system for tickets and stuff, I might be able to make it this year. I'm gonna have a jolly good try, but I still have intense anxiety about being in public with a large group of people. But I really want to socialize and make new friends.

See, this (the anxiety) is what I've got. I wanna make new friends. I wanna grow out of my shell. I wanna overcome my problems. And, this is likely the best way forwards.

The only thing to worry about, is getting hold of a ticket. xD

A multiple tier ticket system is perfectly fine to use, and infact alot of bigger conventions do the same thing.

The only thing that could possibly change a rush on tickets would be to start charging or start hosting the event in a large ass venue. Even then, I presume they'll still go as fast.

The problem with ticket charges, is that they come with an ever annoying part of terms and conditions, which then would need to be verified through several means. This also brings about an extra set of headaches regarding liability and other such circumstances.

Regarding getting larger venues, while it is a possibility I imagine, you cannot ever tell how big a gathering will be on the following year. You can only ever go off the previous years numbers. Plus there are several other items that impede just straight up booking a venue. It requires funds, area planning, making sure there are no other events happening in that area at the same time.

Long story short, while there are always solutions, more often then not they bring more problems. Nothing is ever cut and dry.

I wonder if any suburbs of London begin or end with an L...

Surely it will always be in London. The only reason it wasn't last year was because of the Olympics, right?

Prior to the site's renovation, the recap of 2012 said it seemed like the Brighton center was made for the convention, so that makes me wonder if they've considered changing it permanently.

I'm also worried that being older than a lot of fellow fans might make it weird.

I saw plenty of fans with babies at Sonic Boom 2012. Trust me, age is not a factor.

The problem with ticket charges, is that they come with an ever annoying part of terms and conditions, which then would need to be verified through several means. This also brings about an extra set of headaches regarding liability and other such circumstances.

Regarding getting larger venues, while it is a possibility I imagine, you cannot ever tell how big a gathering will be on the following year. You can only ever go off the previous years numbers. Plus there are several other items that impede just straight up booking a venue. It requires funds, area planning, making sure there are no other events happening in that area at the same time.

Given the rush on tickets, I think it's safe to assume a reasonable expansion would avoid incurring any strain. When your tickets sell out in minutes... you can expand by a decent amount without fear of empty space.

Really I'm just amazed such a big event can be hosted without charging. It's insane, really. If nothing else it makes my hope SEGA doesn't factor profitability into Sonic Boom higher.

Though there are the legal hoops to jump through so I'm not surprised SoS hasn't tried that. It's enough of a headache as is and unlike in America, it doesn't look like SEGA's willing to handle that part.

See, this (the anxiety) is what I've got. I wanna make new friends. I wanna grow out of my shell. I wanna overcome my problems. And, this is likely the best way forwards.

I have a one word piece of advice for you.

COSPLAY

I'm quite a shy person when I meet new people. I won't go up to people just randomly. But if you go in cosplay, not only does it help break the barrier, but people come to you! (Or at least that's my experience everytime I've cosplayed). You don't have to enter the competitions if you're not confident enough, but I find costumes are a fantastic ice breaker if you're trying to become a confident person.

Last year my confidence was boosted tremendously because of my costume. Even getting up on stage in front of hundreds of people didn't phase me. The community that turned out gave fantastic support and are some of the nicest people you will randomly start a conversation with!

I went to an MCM last year. Admittedly I never did anything much while there, but then that would be one of my friends' doing.

If I ever do go to a convention again, I'll make sure to rectify that mistake.

As for when this is actually going to be announced, I need to know so I can actually see if I can go or not.

You know what'd be awesome? If SoS was in September (or even the final week of August). That would be most excellent because provided I could get a ticket, I'd be able to go.

Sure there's a "small" body of water in the way, but the UK is only a plane ride with Icelandair away.

I'd really like to go to something like this and it'd give me a good reason to go to the UK and do some other stuff as well.

Edited by SkyLlama

As for when this is actually going to be announced, I need to know so I can actually see if I can go or not.

Really I think this is everyone's concern.

When do they normally give the date for this event? While I have the announcement dates of Sonic Boom committed to memory, I confess I'm not as knowledgeable on SoS.

Yeah, I'm starting to think it would have to be in August or September, because thinking about it... if it's going to be in June or July, they're cutting it a bit fine. :/

Really I think this is everyone's concern.

When do they normally give the date for this event? While I have the announcement dates of Sonic Boom committed to memory, I confess I'm not as knowledgeable on SoS.

When they found the right venue and if it's free to book on that day. It shouldn't be that long now since summer is coming ahead for us

I believe dread said on the Facebook page that there is something holding up official notices atm. Just sit patient and we'll get it sooner rather then later one hopes.

Yeah, I'm starting to think it would have to be in August or September, because thinking about it... if it's going to be in June or July, they're cutting it a bit fine. :/

If it's in September, that'd really suck :/ Wouldn't really have the summer spirit. August would be alright in my book, though.

I believe dread said on the Facebook page that there is something holding up official notices atm. Just sit patient and we'll get it sooner rather then later one hopes.

Assuming SEGA does what they did last year and announces SoS and SB on the same day, this gives me quite a bit of hope.

Exactly where on the FB page was the comment, though?

That SEGA's taking its time with both events makes me anxious... but maybe they really are planning something? Guess we'll just have to find out...

While September 23rd would certainly fit for an anniversary, given that Autumn begins on September 22nd, it would also ruin the Sum-

Wait.

"Fall of Sonic." It's Metal Sonic-themed.

OH YES. Double meanings are awesome!

At least that's what I'd hope for.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm patiently waiting for the announcement, but I would like to know by early June at the latest. I hope it isn't late August because I'm going on summer holidays, nor in late July because I'll probably be in Spain. Last year I couldn't go because of Spain actually, so I really need a confirmed date soon.

"Fall of Sonic." It's Metal Sonic-themed.

OH YES. Double meanings are awesome!

At least that's what I'd hope for.

I'm liking this idea! Guess we'll have to wait and see if it gets used, eh? I think a name idea like that comes in handy just in case the SoS staff has their hands full and the event gets delayed a little bit.

Sadly, I'm not all that positive that I'll get to go. But I guess we'll see when the announcement of where it is and when arrives if I can. Chances are pretty low, though. But hey, at least I know it gets Livestreamed every year now, so at least I can go in spirit? 

Being on September 23 would be a nice reference to it being Sonic CD's 20th, but I do still hope it's in July or August, for, as I said before, the feeling of it being summer and also just for convenience. 

Hope a date gets announced quite soon though.

As I've stated before, I'd love to go.

I might be going to London Comic Con so at least I'll have gone to that but SoS just sounds like so much fun!

Also, you guys will not come up to me if I go, okay?

I'd really like some confirmation on dates, since I could use the two-months advance to get cheaper plane tickets

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeeah that's my concern too. :/

Although I think if it will be in London, plenty of budget airlines should go there so it shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by MamboCat

I feel your guys' pain. I was certain SEGA would have announced a Sonic Boom by May 12, as they did for the first one, but nothing... just... nothing.

I'm hoping that if the mention of Dreadknux saying there was something clogging the tubes is correct, it's company-wide and not just SEGA Europe.

They -did- announce Sonic Boom and Summer of Sonic on the same day last year though, so I'm still hopeful!

Even if now we're all kind of floating about with no real idea when either announcement could land on. Really everything's idle speculation now... while Summer of Sonic's all but confirmed with the website change, we really have nothing. There could be some grand reveal of both events at once, or just Summer of Sonic, or the game preview/conventions on the same day, or something else. There's really nothing to go on.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Here's a small update from the Facebook page. Should be hearing more on the event soon! I'll paste it here for anyone who may not be able to see it/are too lazy to click the link:

Thank you all for your patience! We should be able to confirm details very soon. We're just giving these pesky systems a bit of a defrag (you probably noticed some error messages earlier on - we're fixing that  )

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd really like some confirmation on dates, since I could use the two-months advance to get cheaper plane tickets

Same. The plane tickets would be the single biggest and most expensive thing if I were to go and getting them early would save me a lot of money (Just over 1/3 of the money I'd need to go would be on plane tickets).

First I'd have to get tickets to the event though and I hear that's a bit difficult.

Hope we hear something soon so people can start planning.

Edited by SkyLlama