Awoo.

Facts about the series that you were surprised about

AlphaRuby

The fact there was ever a Sonic Bible, and all the weirdness within it.

Bible's are pretty common practice in series where more than one person will be dealing with the character. There'll be bibles for everything from Batman to the Walking dead.

Maybe not a " bible" but an encyclopaedia?

I thought about writing my own actually, it's an ongoing project, it has everything about GAME cannon, or will do. I plan to write character bios for every ingame character, level details ( max rings, monitors, ect.) as well as maps for 2D levels. Bot sure what to do for non canon games, I might include them, just to include everything. If I can get it published (when I get it finished) I might see if I can get some unseen concept art to include, if not ill just put some we already have.

Maybe something like that for the series? Like we have for the Archieverse?

Edited by Jolt_TH

Maybe not a " bible" but an encyclopaedia?

I thought about writing my own actually, it's an ongoing project, it has everything about GAME cannon, or will do. I plan to write character bios for every ingame character, level details ( max rings, monitors, ect.) as well as maps for 2D levels. Bot sure what to do for non canon games, I might include them, just to include everything. If I can get it published (when I get it finished) I might see if I can get some unseen concept art to include, if not ill just put some we already have.

Maybe something like that for the series? Like we have for the Archieverse?

Sonic- Only playable character

Tails- Side kick

Eggman- Bowser and Dr. Wily Fan

Knuckles the Echidna and Co.- Insignifigant

To give a recent fact about the Sonic series that surprised me, it was pretty cool reading about the idea behind why Tails has two tails from "The History of Sonic the Hedgehog" book that was released not too long ago.

"Tails was inspired by the Japanese legend of the fox with nine tails - the kitsune - which can also be found in the Naruto anime series. To express his young age and resulting lack of experience, his creator, Yasushi Yamaguchi, only gave him two tails."

I seriously had no idea about this until just a few weeks ago.

The whole (extremely obscure) Mary Garnet story. Forget the manga's "Sonic the Hedgehog is actually the secret superhero identity of a normal hedgehog called Nicky"; the Garnet story is far weirder. Like, "Sonic the Hedgehog is actually the undead spirit of a pilot who crashed during the U.S.'s initial attempts to design a jet that could break the sound barrier" weirder.

Edited by Unknownlight
  • Thumbs Up 2

The whole (extremely obscure) Mary Garnet story. Forget the manga's "Sonic the Hedgehog is actually the secret superhero identity of a normal hedgehog called Nicky"; the Garnet story is far weirder. Like, "Sonic the Hedgehog is actually the undead spirit of a pilot who crashed during the U.S.'s initial attempts to design a jet that could break the sound barrier" weirder.

On the other hand, it would explain how he got his hands on the Tornado. It's actually the undead spirit of his old plane!

The Manga incorporated the Mary Garnet thing into the backstory of Nicky's parents. So Sonic was the spirit of an undead pilot who managed to save Paulie when the jet he was testing failed by guiding it to land, where he met Brenda, who he later married and had Nicky with, who then got possessed by the undead spirit who had played matchmaker in the first place...?

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can we just agree that the whole story is stupid.

The idea of the Chuck archetype character (be it Uncle Chuck from StAM/Sonic Underground/Archie or Chuck from Sonic X) being named after Chuck Yeager always sounded nice to me, though.

I was surprised to find out that nearly every character save for Eggman, Vector, Big, and Omega were teenagers when I first read the sonic heroes manual.

I was also surprised when Sega announced that Big was being scrapped.

I was also surprised when Sega announced that Big was being scrapped.
Wait, they actually announced it? I thought it was one those things where we kinda just assumed it happened given the circumstances.

Can we just agree that the whole story is stupid.

But the Mary Garnet story is where lovely little concepts like Sonic being born on Christmas Island come from. We can't completely ignore it. wink.png

• Thumbs Up 1

How about the fact that Tails' two voices in the Dreamcast games are brothers and his voice in Heroes is related to both Charmy and Espio's voices in that same game.

I just found out that Mike Pollock (Eggmans VA) also does the voice of the narrator in the Pokemon Anime.

Also Eggman's Japanese VA is the father of Solid Snakes Japanese VA.

You can get the old Soap adds back in City Escape by deleting the objtex_stg13.pak file. There is a objtex_stg13.prs that didn't replace the soap adds in the games files that isn't being used because of pak files being dominant.

Go to your Sa2 folder. Open up Sonic Adventure 2/resource/gd_PC/PRS and delete objtex_stg13.pak.

Nice little surprise I found when texture modding City Escape's objtex file

Edited by Dom

That Sonic was originally supposed to have a human girlfriend. Fortunately the bestiality police intervened

I didn't realize half the stuff in this informative 3-part special on Sonic Xtreme. Dude really knows his stuff. The multitude of story changes that the game went through (seven official rewrites) and the shear number of times that it had been restarted or scrapped was new to me.I knew of only one of the planned stories and about one or two of the hiccups the game had. But DAMN its no wonder it didn't see the light of day. I hadn't really seen all the Sonic Mars info either, And the in development more "realistic" Sonic Saturn stuff was interesting, especially all the planned bonus round stuff with the knocking balls into holes to get the Chaos Emeralds etc.

Pretty good and interesting watch for anyone interested in all the canceled Sonic games for the 32X and Sega Saturn era, even talks about the SatAM game.

• Thumbs Up 1

But the Mary Garnet story is where lovely little concepts like Sonic being born on Christmas Island come from. We can't completely ignore it. wink.png

According to Sonic Retro there's the Mary Garnet story and the game story, the latter is he one that mentions Christmas Island... it also seems to have no source other than Sonic Retro, but looks legit.

Edited by Amomynous

Troy Baker, Espio's current voice actor, has also voiced Jazz and Jetfire (Transformers: Fall of Cybertron), and Robin and Two-Face (Batman: Arkham City), not to mention Batman himself in Lego Batman 2.

The dude has range.

On the topic of voice actors, I think Quinton Flynn, Silver's voice, probably had the biggest shocker to me. He's Axel from Kingdom Hearts AND Raiden from Metal Gear? That's impressive. I'll never say Silver can't be a badass ever again, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well it all depends on direction doesn't it?

On the topic of VA's I remember a friend being disappointed about Mike Pollock replacing Deem Bristow in the games and demanded that he be re-hired (before he heard mike pollock's Game Eggman). Whereby I had to point out that they could rehire every other VA APART from Deem Bristow as be had died.

I was also shocked to learn that Mike Pollock also Voiced Ella in Sonic X!

Ogilvie Maurice, on 01 May 2013 - 06:27, said:On the topic of voice actors, I think Quinton Flynn, Silver's voice, probably had the biggest shocker to me. He's Axel from Kingdom Hearts AND Raiden from Metal Gear? That's impressive. I'll never say Silver can't be a badass ever again, that's for sure.
On the subject of Quinton Flynn, am I the only one who hears a little bit of Silver's voice in Raiden in MGS2 at times? Yeah, Raiden came first I know, (so I guess that should be 'I hear a little bit of Raiden in Silver) but watching some cutscenes of MGS2 recently, I find the two characters kind of similar in the way they sounded. It's not a huge similarity, but it's there. Or maybe it's just me.
Also, I was pleasantly surprised that the current voice of Tails (Kate Higgins) also voiced Saber in the English dub of Fate/Stay Night.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

Sonic was literally one of, if not my favorite childhood character. Even though some games threw me off (Sonic Heroes, Sonic 06, etc) I still loved the series as a whole. It became such a part of my life that I didn't need the games to be invested anymore, I just enjoyed the Sonic culture and including him in daydreams and comics id make. 

However, when I was younger and didn't have internet to keep myself updated on new Sonic games, I honestly thought Sonic Adventure 2 was the LAST one in the series. Because of the phrase and text at the end of one of the story campaigns, when it said...

..."the last episode, wishes... are eternal"...

Ever since I saw that, I was a little crushed inside. I thought maybe this was really the end of Sonic games. And for several years I actually thought that was true. But when Sonic Heroes and Shadow came out, I was ecstatic. Not because I liked them, but because they were still making more games after the adventure series. 

Each game after that has been a blessing to me. Regardless of the quality. I was just happy to see my childhood continue on, instead of seeing it get canceled like EVERYTHING ELSE I loved as a child D: (COUGH INVADER ZIM COUGH) This new mindset has really kept me hanging onto the series. I'm just glad to see they're still making more after all. At least this way they're bound to make something I like. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Not really sure if it relates to the series, but I was surprised to find out that Sonic's favorite drink was Coca Cola. 

Is this true? I want a source that says so.