Awoo.

Facts about the series that you were surprised about

AlphaRuby

Yeah, I prefer Sonic characters be the age they are now. I dunno, I think it has less to do with being able to identify with any of them and more to do with just feeling young because they are. Though I'm 22, so that probably doesn't say much.  

But even then, it hardly matters since Sonic is one of those characters you could consider timeless like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny. They don't have a clear indication of what their age is and even if they do have an age, they neither look or act it.

On the subject of ages, it just slightly bothers me that the characters even have ages officially, given that they don't exactly match up to any ages you could throw at them. I just prefer to think of them relative to each other. Cream and Charmy are clearly younger than everyone else, Tails is younger than Sonic and Vanilla is older than any of the other animal characters. Everyone else is just sort of, you know, there. Simple.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Reading that Sonic debuted as a cameo in an unrelated racing game was quite a shock for me.

Ah yes, Rad Mobile. Was he an actual racer, or was he just a small cameo?

I think the people saying they should age up the characters a bit considering all the deviant fanart have somewhat forgotten the fact that they're all highly stylised cartoon animals makes that a little bit off to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Age is virtually superfluous in the series; nobody really acts their given ages so what's the point? Like Blue Blood said, everyone's ages are just relative to each other. 

Yeah, I was gonna say that age is so... pointless in this series that it's literally not worth worrying about, as they don't really act a specific "age" anyway, only the rare exceptions like Cream and Charmy. It's one of those ambiguous things that basically amounts to flavour text, akin to Knuckles's favourite food being grapes (aside from the Generations grapes on trees in Sky Sanctuary hub) and Sonic's chilli dogs until the recent games made it more of a "thing".

The fact that Flickys predate the Sonic francise, and in fact were the main characters of an arcade game.

Ah yes, Rad Mobile. Was he an actual racer, or was he just a small cameo?

Small cameo; as a small air freshener on the rear mirror of the player's vehicle.

22_480x360.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Small cameo; as a small air freshener on the rear mirror of the player's vehicle.

To think that all the people who were playing that had no idea they were looking at history in the making...

I always found it amusing how Mario and Sonic, despite their rivalry, both started out in other games series that weren't their own. Funny how that works out...

22_480x360.png

600x600x75x0.jpg

There was also a mighty one in the saturn version

and there's this one which I think is meant to be ray

galeray.JPG

Edited by Jake Bird

No wonder they disappeared. Sonic couldn't have anyone relaying his humble origins now could he...?

In all seriousness, great find! It's neat to see how these characters all had such odd origins, and yet would become icons later on. You never know where you'll find gold.

- The fact that Akon featured in a Sonic song (Sweet Dreams remix). I never expected to hear him in a Sonic game.

- I was quite surprised that Tails wasn't originally meant to be in SA2 as a playable character.

-  Sonic's favourite drink was Coca Cola

- Charmy originally 16 in KC

- The fact that Sonic was going to have a human girlfriend.

- The age of some of the Sonic characters. I remember looking at the Heroes manual and I was genuinely surprised.

-  Sonic's favourite drink was Coca Cola

Logical. Despite his popularity in Britain he's overwhelmingly meant to be American in culture; the United States was the market SEGA wanted to capture at the time, after all.

Coca Cola being one of the most iconic American brands, stands to reason that it'd be his favorite.

That Charmy Bee was a Prince in the Comics.

What really surprised me was they had this same plot device in both strips. Which led to a lot of claims by the StC fanbase that Archie had stolen the idea since Archie did it much later. Admittedly, it is suspect but... hey, small homage to StC, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly willing to give the benefit of the doubt to both companies on that one; Bees are famous for their unique social system with the queen as the ruler, so it really isn't that big of a stretch to make Charmy a prince if they wanted to give him any status within his hive (fun fact, real hives have no princes or kings, just a harem of walking sex machines. That's really all drones do). 

• Thumbs Up 2

600x600x75x0.jpg

There was also a mighty one in the saturn version

and there's this one which I think is meant to be ray

galeray.JPG

Huh...so Sega Sonic Arcade and Chaotix weren't the last time Mighty and Ray were used up until their posters in Generations. I knew Mighty was in all the line art for Chaotix they put in the Gems Collection but never knew this. You learn something new everyday.

Speaking of, was Chaotix ever supposed to be in Gems Collection? The random artwork in there would suggest so but has there been any official word or findings on it? I know there's some sketchy info that Eraser and Arcade were meant to be.

Logical. Despite his popularity in Britain he's overwhelmingly meant to be American in culture; the United States was the market SEGA wanted to capture at the time, after all.

Coca Cola being one of the most iconic American brands, stands to reason that it'd be his favorite.

I think Sonic liking Coca Cola was because Sega has used Sonic in Coca Cola promotions and ads.

1200610010_f.jpg

_MG_0423_zps571a77f2.jpg

And the irony is that I think there has only been Sega/Coca Cola promotions in Japan and the U.K. and not in the U.S. Also if you remember, Sonic's other favorite food, apart from chili dogs, is McDonalds because of the promotions he has had there.

I think Sonic liking Coca Cola was because Sega has used Sonic in Coca Cola promotions and ads.

1200610010_f.jpg

_MG_0423_zps571a77f2.jpg

And the irony is that I think there has only been Sega/Coca Cola promotions in Japan and the U.K. and not in the U.S. Also if you remember, Sonic's other favorite food, apart from chili dogs, is McDonalds because of the promotions he has had there.

Plus Fanta is a Coca Cola brand...tumblr_ml63aiyjsr1rvf24qo1_500.gif

Edited by hypermikey
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was surprised to find out Eggmans mustache is fake apparently. (Thanks omochao.>:/)

The fact that it's unused might suggest that the line could be a lie. Besides, Eggman is in a club with Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, and Eggman Nega for about mustaches. 

Well, Shadow only uses his Air Skates to FLY only about a handful of times. That's stupid of him.

The fact there was ever a Sonic Bible, and all the weirdness within it.

Edited by Amomynous

And the irony is that I think there has only been Sega/Coca Cola promotions in Japan and the U.K. and not in the U.S. Also if you remember, Sonic's other favorite food, apart from chili dogs, is McDonalds because of the promotions he has had there

Awww man, if I saw a billboard like that here... I've always wanted SEGA to partner with Coke or Pepsi but it seems they did it long ago in the past. :(

It makes sense the advertisement wasn't here; to my knowledge Pepsi is actually Americans' drink of choice barring the South, where Coca Cola is popular. Always found that rather ironic.

Guess it makes sense SEGA makes Sonic's food whatever he's partnered with at the moment. So when's he going to partner with Sonic Drive Thru? I mean, the logo is blue, yellow and red! It's just asking for a partnership!