Awoo.

Facts about the series that you were surprised about

AlphaRuby

Y'know, I always had that feeling that Silver's gameplay was a seperate game initially...

It was certainly the most atypical of all the gameplay styles. This is probably why a lot of people don't like him.

Also I am of the mind that Silver would have been much better off as an orange mink called Venice as was originally intended. It would have fit the theme of Soliana, and at least he would be a different animal. Why they went with hedgehog again baffles my mind. Hope they fired whoever came up with that bright idea lol

I agree that "Venice the Mink" would have been a better name/species, but why would he be orange? I have trouble seeing Silver as any color but off-white. Some of those early designs looked way too complex, too.

I agree that "Venice the Mink" would have been a better name/species, but why would he be orange? I have trouble seeing Silver as any color but off-white. Some of those early designs looked way too complex, too.

He would have been orange because in the interview with his character designer where he explained the original idea was for him to be a mink called Venice, they also mentioned that he was going to be orange. The only reason he ended up silver in colour and because of that in name too was something to do with them wanting to try out the new colour shading techniques on then next gen systems, making a fancy two tone white grey or silver. It's all in an old IGN interview along with original character art etc where he had a weird helmet and long dreads and other designs.

He would have been orange because in the interview with his character designer where he explained the original idea was for him to be a mink called Venice, they also mentioned that he was going to be orange. The only reason he ended up silver in colour and because of that in name too was something to do with them wanting to try out the new colour shading techniques on then next gen systems, making a fancy two tone white grey or silver. It's all in an old IGN interview along with original character art etc where he had a weird helmet and long dreads and other designs.

Well, I'm glad they changed his design and color. Can you imagine how ugly he would have been?

Edited by ElectroKyurem

I forget if this was in the official storyline, but it was how Sonic's friends (the animals you save from the badniks) taught Sonic how to breathe from air bubbles, spin dash, etc.

I forget if this was in the official storyline, but it was how Sonic's friends (the animals you save from the badniks) taught Sonic how to breathe from air bubbles, spin dash, etc.

Yeah I remember something like that, would have been the early American made up stuff tho. Didn't the Sonic 2 manual or something say Sonic was teaching Tails how to do the roll and he ended up creating the spindash or Tails did a spindash instead of the roll or something. My memory is fuzzy around the very early American stuff.

That Silver is actually supposed to be silver in colour,I mean I guess it explains the name, but he doesn't look it.

He's shown with a completely metallic texture in some early 3D concepts and is said to be Silver in some manuals (though is said to be white in others) his texture is more of a very pale grey.

The metallic texture was kind of awkward looking, made him look like he didn't have fur or quills at all, so I guess I prefer it as-is, though a subtle metallic sheen would be nice.

Edited by Amomynous

That Silver is actually supposed to be silver in colour,I mean I guess it explains the name, but he doesn't look it.

He's shown with a completely metallic texture in some early 3D concepts and is said to be Silver in some manuals (though is said to be white in others) his texture is more of a very pale grey.

The metallic texture was kind of awkward looking, made him look like he didn't have fur or quills at all, so I guess I prefer it as-is, though a subtle metallic sheen would be nice.

...But...silver is a metal so should look metallic? o.o

I had no idea of the Chaotix's existence until Heroes was announced.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

Silver Sonic doesn't have fur, he's made of metal.....

Another one I just remembered:

* I was PISSED When I found out that Sonic Universe #50 was NOT going to feature a Sonic Underground Epilogue. Actually  I found out when it came out...

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver Sonic doesn't have fur, he's made of metal.....

Silver the Hedgehog, not Silver Sonic.

Hope that clears your confusion!

In fact, Silver Sonic is actually Mecha Sonic. Silver Sonic is just a US originated term.

Shut up

You know very well this kind of spamming isn't allowable. Get your shit in gear.

Silver the Hedgehog, not Silver Sonic.

Hope that clears your confusion!

lol, just noticed that myself, totally misread that :P

I'm an idiot

Y'know, I always had that feeling that Silver's gameplay was a seperate game initially...

Just want to clear this up, but Silver's gameplay was intended to be a new IP. In one of the unlockable interviews in the PS2 and PSP MegaDrive Collection, they say Silver's gameplay was originally a different game altogether but then decided to put it in the new Sonic game at the time (06). :)

-that Powerman 5000 (who I knew about thanks to games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder) did a song for Shadow the Hedgehog (and it ended up being my favorite out of the ending themes).

-that Sonic's singing voice in Sonic Underground was done by the same person who voiced Edd/Double D in Ed, Edd, n Eddy

-also on that note, the fact that Jaleel White was Cartoon Sonic in the first place, especially since Family Matters was a huge part of my childhood.

-that Dred Foxx, who was PaRappa the Rapper, did the raps on Knuckles' theme. Surprised me even more when I heard his actual songs and they were pretty damn good.

I was surprised when I found out about the characters offical ages, because it turned out that nearly everyone was at least like 5-10 years younger than I had thought.

I was surprised when I found out about the characters offical ages, because it turned out that nearly everyone was at least like 5-10 years younger than I had thought.

This also, in my opinion, makes the fact some are romantically interested in the characters 10x creepier.

I know SEGA wants to appeal to a young audience but given that you don't really stop growing mentally and physically until 25, is it really a crime to have everyone be 18 or older?

Sonic's certainly got more than enough responsibilities to be in the same age group as the average college student. College students are hardly adults in the range of those in the 30s and 40s, despite what the law says.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

The characters have never been that old in the history of the entire franchise. No reason to change that now. 

The characters have never been that old in the history of the entire franchise. No reason to change that now. 

Just because it's not expedient doesn't make it any less silly. tongue.png It may not be on their priority list, but come on.

But it's not silly. Not in a franchise where age is basically a non-factor, and teens tend to go down particularly well with the pre-teen boy crowd. 

But it's not silly. Not in a franchise where age is basically a non-factor, and teens tend to go down particularly well with the pre-teen boy crowd. 

18 and 19 year olds would fall into the category too. I think youth is more important than any specific number. Even if Sonic were 20 something, he has the body of a youngster, given the lack of muscle and such.

Never mind this fetish for making everything childish spits in the face of the devout fans who've been fans of the franchise well up to its beginning.

Overall I'm pretty sure Sonic could still be cool regardless what they made his age, and the 18-20 range is perfect for that. Still very youthful, but adult to some extent.

Then again SEGA's always loved throwing one half of the fanbase under the bus for the other ever since their attempt to appeal to both sides didn't work well... :(

If you ask me, it wouldn't feel right if Sonic was a young adult. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the idea, but something about it seems a bit off to me. Also, I fail to see how it's "childish" for the main cast to be kids/teens.

Age is like species in that for the overwhelming majority of cases, it doesn't matter a single bit to the characterization and storytelling. Of course, things should be kept reasonable, but specifics are arbitrary, especially since most of the cast don't even act their age anyway. There is not a single 15 year old whom Sonic accurately emulates in beliefs, responsibilities, knowledge, and tone of voice.

• Thumbs Up 1