Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

On 10/16/2016 at 9:01 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Oh stop it, you!

Everyone knows it's actually Sonic Adventure 5. XD

I think you mean 8!

Image result for sonic adventure 7 

• Thumbs Up 2

when Yuji Naka, was still on board with Sega and this game. he originally hinted it would be an sort of remake of the first game, possibly an retelling?

was the whole princess angle, Yuji's finished version, or Nakamura's ? i don't think that was ever clarified. 

If I recall correctly, the premise of Sonic '06 at the time (before they backpedalled like clowns on a unicycle) was to completely reinvent the series and start the canon fresh. Moreover, Naka is quoted as saying that the driving point behind the games concept was "what if Sonic were real?", explaining the departure from colorful and cartoony environments and characters and an emphasis on realistic humans and locations and giving the anthro characters somewhat more human-like proportions. 

But as we can see, the game as a whole backfired tremendously in almost every respect and they simply wrote it off as 'never happening,' and I often wonder if the ending where the events of the game are erased from ever happening was a built-in canon failsafe if it didn't pan out their way, or if it was a last-minute addition once they realized things weren't going the way they had imagined it would. No way to tell for sure unless Naka or Nakamura themselves spill the beans, and I doubt they ever will.

• Thumbs Up 6

23 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

If I recall correctly, the premise of Sonic '06 at the time (before they backpedalled like clowns on a unicycle) was to completely reinvent the series and start the canon fresh. Moreover, Naka is quoted as saying that the driving point behind the games concept was "what if Sonic were real?", explaining the departure from colorful and cartoony environments and characters and an emphasis on realistic humans and locations and giving the anthro characters somewhat more human-like proportions. 

But as we can see, the game as a whole backfired tremendously in almost every respect and they simply wrote it off as 'never happening,' and I often wonder if the ending where the events of the game are erased from ever happening was a built-in canon failsafe if it didn't pan out their way, or if it was a last-minute addition once they realized things weren't going the way they had imagined it would. No way to tell for sure unless Naka or Nakamura themselves spill the beans, and I doubt they ever will.

It backfired only because they rushed the game. The demo was amazing. I spent hours on it for days and it controlled so much better. but then we got a rushed no Q/Tested game. But even after the game that was just one city not the whole world. Sonic could have went on to somewhere else, it is even hinted they both have slight or a hint of remembering each other.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

Happy 10th Birthday, Sonic '06. Let's hope that no future games in the series end up like you did.

In all seriousness, what Sonic '06 was (besides a bad game), was stepping stone towards something greater and better, like Sonic Colors, Generations, Mania, Unleashed, and hopefully Project 2017.

I am about to play this badboy for the first time ever this weekend. It's something I promised myself to do. I will beat this piece of shit even if it is my end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Happy 10th Anniversary SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2006)!

I like the game. Might celebrate this by playing through the PS3 version. (I haven't played the PS3 version yet, but I completed the 360 version)

SEGA should totally mark the 10th anniversary by releasing it on PC! ?

• Thumbs Up 1

While I myself have no personal memories of playing Sonic '06 (Nintendo fanboy), I do say that the music is possibly the best thing to come from the game, and was among the very first music I ever downloaded from the main site's media index.  If there is one thing I still remember from when the game was still new was all the stuff that Svend and Rory said on the Sonic Hour about the ball puzzle in Dusty Desert as Silver in addition to their conversations about the game's plot with Alan (aka Roarey Racoon), joking about Robotnik using the Atkins diet (and succeeding) for his redesign in this game.  And then there was one of the two Room 101 episodes on Radio Redux where Kevin and Adam discussed the fact that Adam's Xbox got the Ring of Death while attempting to get a perfect run in Crisis City (just to get the Knights of Kronos acheivement).

But as I sit here listening to the karaoke version of Elise's theme, I just have to say, Happy Tenth Anniversary Sonic '06.  I may not have played you, but tales of you have kept me warm at night.

It's strange to think that that hype, those trailers, and that legendary E3 was ten years ago. Honestly, while many people here and across the web see the game as source of fun in a joking/mocking way, or as source of rage due to its glitches, to me it's a source of pure sadness due to the effect it has had on the franchise (or perhaps, the way the franchise is now perceived by the general gaming culture).

Without this game, would we still have all the memes? Would that sonic dreams collection thing even exist? Would several YouTube let's players be half as famous without it? It's depressing to play and talk about this game, because of what it has indirectly caused. 

Sonic 06 is basically responsible for the current "times", in which the Sonic franchise is a meme and exists to be made fun of by the internet, rather than a beloved gaming classic.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's worth remembering that '06 alone isn't responsible for the series' reputation, it was just the final knockout punch. The series had been building up issues of tonal whiplash, inconsistent quality, and a general lack of coherent direction for years before that bomb dropped. The series still struggles with a lot of the same issues, even, and I don't think lacking an '06-level failure would've changed that.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's funny how this game turned out to be the first Sonic game I've ever played. If I wasn't a young naive kid who actually liked this game at the time, I probably would have dropped this series quickly. Good thing I was. :P

On 5/29/2015 at 11:29 AM, Lime/Key said:

Just wondering, has anyone tried to beat any of the bosses with their eyes closed?

Been there and done that. Most bosses in 06 aren't quite the most legit challenging as opposed to meticulous memorization for the most part in that game.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2016 at 0:31 AM, GOAT said:

Is there any way to get this game on the pc?

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK!...1 month and 10 days later...

Gistix has made an update to his Sonic 2006 PC port with a demo of the first level:

Support us by donating! - https://goo.gl/l3wMoy

Here we go! Let the joyous news be spread. We have finally finished the long-awaited demo release.

Download Link (Windows): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AYaec07t2vOXRtZWhXV0FvVkU/view?pageId=105483796154515809729

Minimal specs:
Dual Core Processor
Intel HD Graphics 4000
4GB RAM memory

If you have any problem with the options menu, simply delete the settings.bin file inside the _Data folder.

The controls:

Left Stick - Directional Keys
Right Stick (Camera controls) - W, A, S, D
A Button - Space
X Button - X
B Button - C
Start Button - Enter/Return
Left Trigger (Resets camera) - Left Shift

Compatible with Xbox 360/One Controller. For other controllers just assign them in the "Input" tab inside the launcher.

You should probably post Bug feedback for Gistix here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Support us by donating!

People donated to this?

That doesn't bode well with me, not to make this project seem inferior but we had several projects like Sonic Utopia and the like, and as far as I'm aware, they didn't asked for donations. How is this fair that a project that's about remaking 06 through Unity asks for donation while there's other fanprojects that were built from scratch yet don't ask for donations?

This paints a bad picture to me, I don't like it and it might also increase the chances of it get taken down by SEGA. I just don't approve of this.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

I dunno, nothing really looks too different besides the homing attack and the way the rings sparkle.

Sure it's a first release, but I'm not all that wow'd.

Not trying to be hard to impress here, but if you're trying to hook someone's donations by showing off a demo, you should show off a little more of your skills besides minor patches, I guess would be fair to say.

4 minutes ago, FantasticMrRobb said:

I dunno, nothing really looks too different besides the homing attack and the way the rings sparkle.

Sure it's a first release, but I'm not all that wow'd.

Not trying to be hard to impress here, but if you're trying to hook someone's donations by showing off a demo, you should show off a little more of your skills besides minor patches, I guess would be fair to say.

Its not supposed to look different, thats the point of this project. its to have a fully rebuilt (with a different engine) non-bugged, non-glitched, complete version of Sonic 2006 thats widely available and not stuck on dead consoles.

Looks, settings, and story isn't going to change. they are basically doing what Taxman and Stealth did.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Soni said:

People donated to this?

That doesn't bode well with me, not to make this project seem inferior but we had several projects like Sonic Utopia and the like, and as far as I'm aware, they didn't asked for donations. How is this fair that a project that's about remaking 06 through Unity asks for donation while there's other fanprojects that were built from scratch yet don't ask for donations?

This paints a bad picture to me, I don't like it and it might also increase the chances of it get taken down by SEGA. I just don't approve of this.

Well people donated for Cemu and that emulator is coming along nicely. I haven't even given them 1 cent and I really enjoyed my time using it for free. I kind of feel you with this, but its not like the developers are asking for a price to play this demo so I'm mostly ok with this. If people want to donate for their work, its on them. Know that you and I will have the choice to play this for free.

As for this demo, the controls seem similar to the final build of 06 in many ways but the homing attack isn't quite perfect as I couldn't hit enemies or aim for the rainbow ring sometimes if there's another nearby object to homing attack. Gameplay is pretty slick and smooth and Sonic himself feels a bit less slippery. 

• Thumbs Up 3