Awoo.

Forgotten gems in Sonic soundtracks?

Kamakai

THIS

I'm feeling round and round and round and round and round.

I don't really like the normal boss theme, and everyone loves Wrapped in Black. But no one loves Bomber Barbara. sad.png

While the boss was annoying on my first playthrough, I always loved this track and would tend to go back to get my ass killed just so I could listen to this track. Well, that and I sucked.

Also, dat beat.

• Thumbs Up 3

THIS

I'm feeling round and round and round and round and round.

I don't really like the normal boss theme, and everyone loves Wrapped in Black. But no one loves Bomber Barbara. sad.png

You kidding? I love Bomber Barbara.

But whatchu talkin' about sayin' you don't like Metal Scratchin'?

• Thumbs Up 2

You kidding? I love Bomber Barbara.

But whatchu talkin' about sayin' you don't like Metal Scratchin'?

It's good to hear someone's on the same wavelength about Bomber Barbara. 

And as for Metal Scratchin...I dunno. The music doesn't pump me up for a fight as much as the others. 

Until part two kicks in. Then nothing is safe.

Bomber Barbera is awesome. Whatchoo talkin' about, Blue On The Run?

Also, the boss music for Sonic 2 Master System is also pretty cool. Better than the Game Gear one IMO.

Also complements that 8-bit battle in SMBZ.

I also found some tracks in Sonic 4 Epi. I like Splash Hill (all three acts) and Mad Gear 1 and 2 to be a bit overlooked, if only because of the cat synth soundfont.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity music is also good (if Unleashed had a more techno-based soundtrack, this would be it), but The Core is pretty damn epic for a average racing videogame-even if it's a final boss song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3mDfwcBHYs

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 1

More of a guilty pleasure then a forgotten gem but I just love this for all the wrong reasons.

Oh, and this too!

Edited by Crash

OH GOD WHY AM I NOT HERE YET

FINAL CHASE. THIS. IS. MY. RAVE. Oh god, this is like one of my only favourite tracks from SA2. Well, there's For True Story, Egg Golem, It Doesn't Matter, Believe in Myself, City Escape, Pyramid Cave, Metal Harbour and Radical Highway. This is like the most underrated.

Frog Forest. I really love this track but synths kinda spoil it for me. It would really be a wonderful trip to a lush forgotten forest if not for those. :V

Then in Sonic 06, The Base from White Acropolis. It's like spy music. And then slowly evolves into a nice groovy thingy. Really fits the level while remaining awesome.

http://youtu.be/kdqntD3ezl4

I'm gonna go ahead and quote a Youtube comment cos it describes the level wonderfully.

"The sunset in the distance reflecting streaks of golden and amber on the clouds, mixing with the indigo of the overhead night star-filled sky; the terrain decorated with the floral vegetation of the jungle, the luminescent torches that light the path, all while accompanied by a powerful cello and the backdrop of an elegant piano."

This stage is my all-time most favourite stage in Sonic history and it has this wonderful piece of music. I love this stage so far as that I'm actually modelling a stage in that kinda surrounding but fitting for Modern Sonic as a mod in Sonic Generations. But let's not get carried away.

Aquarium Park - China/Japan underwater. Gone all groovy, with a wonderful beat. Chill in the waters, take a dive, swim along the fishes.

Hah, yeah. That should be about it for underrated songs that haven't been mentioned, in my opinion at least. tongue.png Edited by Faseeh
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am particularly fond of this little tune from Sonic Blast. A very good 8-but track in my opinion.

This one got practically no time in the game at all, since the mini boss it was used for was laughably easy.
http://youtu.be/HwchlIqC53A

The music that was used in this scene, I believe, was never released in any way from Sega themselves. I actually have the mp3 for just the song itself, but I can't find the rip anywhere on youtube.

And this one is one of my all time favorite from Colors or Sonic music in general. I feel like it doesn't get the praise it deserves.
http://youtu.be/BXEOPDDSnMQ

Edited by Koizumi

I remember hearing this in the PC version's soundtrack and hoping it was the credits theme. No dice. I was so disappointed because it's such a crazily catchy song, very upbeat. It'd make a great ending tune.
  • Thumbs Up 2

OH MY GOD THIS FREAKING TRACK. THIS TRACK RIGHT HERE. WHY THE HELL IS THIS NOT UP THERE WITH CITY ESCAPE AND GREEN HILL AND ALL THAT AS ONE OF THE BEST TRACKS EVER.

I just want to throw my front door open and go on a cross country at Sonic speed whenever I hear this song.

Mirage Road may have some pretty weak level design and stuff, but I will forever love this song. ALWAYS. It needs to be recognized more.

DU-DUN-DUN-DUN! DU-DUN-DUN-DUN! OH!

CHACKA CHACKA WHEAT GOT A MAST ON MAH FACE!

That's how it sounds to me. xD

Other underrated songs I love are Bullet Station, Frog Forest, and the Emerald Challenge from Heroes, Arid Sands Day from Unleashed, Sweet Mountain act 1 from Colours... the list goes on really. xD I'm a nut for the lesser known tracks.

Because Jeh Jeh Rocket is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocYx0RjjcIg

To be honest I can't think of a single track from Rush that isn't amazing.

Hideki Naganuma makes some of the best tracks I've heard in Sega games, to be honest. I'm a big fan of artists who use sampling in their work. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a big fan of artists who use sampling in their work. biggrin.png

Hear, hear.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the boss was annoying on my first playthrough, I always loved this track and would tend to go back to get my ass killed just so I could listen to this track. Well, that and I sucked.

Also, dat beat.

Bomber Barbara is amazing! I actually like to sing along with it sometimes ^^' "FEELIN' ROUND N ROUND N ROUND N ROUND N ROUND!"

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I can't think of a single track from Rush that isn't amazing.

Hideki Naganuma makes some of the best tracks I've heard in Sega games, to be honest. I'm a big fan of artists who use sampling in their work. biggrin.png

Rush's soundtrack is immensely popular. And I can see why. Perhaps not as popular overall compared to the likes of SA2 and whatnot. But still pretty popular.

It's such a shame that such compositional consistency couldn't be carried over into Rush Adventure. I mean, I like some of the tracks in SRA. [A new venture lala] But overall, I feel that Rush's soundtrack is stronger. Rush Adventure's soundtrack isn't that memorable for me. There is one track, however, that I would like to mention.

Beat kicks the beat, gangsta fuckin'

Here's another example of that awesome sampling. biggrin.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqDhFL15gA

I was always fond of little planet's japanese theme. I know Cd's Jp/EU soundtrack gets a lot of praise, but I hardly ever hear people bring this song up. I know some people find the birds annoying, but I think they set the nature tone of little planet for the song perfectly. This track just feels so....... Mysterious and tranquil, with a touch of beauty added by the birds.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure which themes are considered forgotten/underrated, but I'll list the ones I enjoy, that's rarely mentioned.

Those themes are:

1. Empire City(Night Theme) from Sonic Unleashed: This jazzy theme really suits the city environment.

2. Levitated Ruins from Sonic and the Secret Rings: Not sure if it really fits this stage IMO. Regardless, this is probably the ONLY theme from the game that's actually amazing and is not ear cringing worthy.

I would also include Tidal Tempest JP, but some of you guys mentioned that track already.

The soundtrack, the cutscenes, the voice acting, the atmosphere... only the gameplay sucked.

=P

I wish Sonic Team put that much love in their newer games.

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was listening to the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack the other day, and while I never really thought much of this song when I was younger, I think Fly in the Freedom has got to be one of the most underrated songs in the entire Sonic series.  It's different from the typical Sonic song, which is probably why it gets overlooked, but it's a great theme for Rouge and holds up pretty well by itself too.  The lyrics aren't even too corny.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like the beat to this one and the piano is really nice too. 0:12 - 0:23 is awesome.

Also yeah, Crisis City in the Generations credits is basically the original with a slower beat and more guitar, but it's great. I'm also fond of the Planet Wisp one and Green Hill with dat bassline.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I dont think its been mentioned, but I think the entirity of Sonic Arcades soundtrack falls into this category, it was really good but no-one remembers it

I am particularly fond of this little tune from Sonic Blast. A very good 8-but track in my opinion.

Well remembered. I'm more a fan of Silver Castle, but this one is cool too.

I dont think its been mentioned, but I think the entirity of Sonic Arcades soundtrack falls into this category, it was really good but no-one remembers it

I don't know much about them, but what I do know and have listened to is fantastic.

one of the best tunes of the kind I've heard. It even reminds me of Touhou.

The ones I'd personally remind you of are mostly 8-bits, though.

LISTEN TO POLOY FOREST:

Seriously, it's too beautiful. Just too beautiful. It has a DKC touch to it, don't you think?

And there we have Naofumi Hatay's rad R&B, Sky High!

I can even imagine a sing-along version. I whistle to this all the time.

Edited by Palas

• 2 weeks later...

I was sifting through the SA2 Sound Test the other day and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye_Zqf1OboA

I never went to the tutorial, so this was a beautiful little surprise.

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O41bpujWvz4

... this song is the only reason I never went through with departing a chao. I just couldn't muster up the willpower.

Edited by The Pit of Mystic Cave
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who could ever forget this little ball of ear sex

I seriously want it remixed in a game.

• Thumbs Up 1