Awoo.

Forgotten gems in Sonic soundtracks?

Kamakai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlo9EX_mDt8

BEAT- KICKS- THE BEAT- THEN I START ROCKIN'

BEAT- KICKS- THE BEAT- KICKS THE- ROCKIN'

Easily my favourite boss theme in the entire series. Absolute masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTb46RLW0g

Say what you will about the act itself; I adore it and it's my favourite act in the Classics. This music is also incredibly atmospheric, especially for something which is really only a pitch shift from act 1.

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyY9VmIdOOE&hd=1

I get serious goosebumps listening to  Tornado Defense 1 from Sonic Unleashed. Dem instruments. I just can't explain it! It really makes me want to feel like I'm in the sky travelling on a jet plane shooting down Eggman air ships!

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 1

Finally I find someone that likes the Crush 40 version of Free! smile.png I can't stand the Chris M version, I just never liked the vocals in that.  Knight of the Wind is definitely a forgotten gem in the library of Crush 40, even though I can say it's no where near their best song in Black Knight( Fight the Knight, With Me, and Live Live unfortunately overshadow it). It's still great though, I love the "Woah oh oh oh" at the beginning tongue.png

Hey, just tried out that Crush 40 version, LOVE IT!!!! Crush 40 is just so awesome :)

• Thumbs Up 2

An absolute gem.

Dammit you beat me to it. Oh well, I guess I'll pick something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6i9dhtX4Ns

I'm not sure what anyone else thinks of ye olde Knuckles rap music, and while I do think the lyrics are cheesy and stupid, there's just some kind of alluring charm to it. Plus the music itself is freaking catchy as hell.

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHz3mB5IuNk

BAH BAAAH SUE ERRYBODY BODY WHOAAAAAAAH

BAH BAAAH SUE ERRYBODY BODY WHOAAAAAAAH

*cough*

Man, I love that track. Easily my favourite starting level theme in the series.

And... I think it's about time I put that song in here...

*drumroll*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkdbN7xDkAM

Ding ding ding, get the ring ring ring, this this this song is so good good good

This is an amazing and extremely underlooked song, been stuck in my head for well over a month (thanks Spudrino >:U) and really deserves much more love. They Call Me Sonic is really overrated on the contrary, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though Sonic is happy go lucky he sure has a lot of angst filled songs in his music archive. Almost every album has an angry "Im gonna beat the snot out of this bad guy" song. I guess I can't blame our blue hedgehog to have so much pent up anger. I mean, he has to thwart Eggman again and again. It can get annoying. Its been a generation Eggman! it does not seem like your going to be successful in taking over the world anytime soon. Maybe its time to take up that teaching job you mentioned in Sonic Generations. Or become a lawyer (both jobs can be very evil in the wrong hands).

Anyway, here are some of my favorite angry angst filled hard rock songs of the Sonic series! 

You can't say angst without thinking of Shadow the hedgehog (Shadow, "Is that damn Neon making another damn post? Someone tell her to shut up! I have to find this damn chaos emerald!"). Shadow's game got less than high reviews, however the music was awesome. Thats all there is to it. I especially liked what Crush 40 contributed. One of my favorites has to be "Never Turn Back". The song Shadow rocked to while he beat the stuffing out of the alien boss dude (for the life of me I cant remember his name.). The masterful hard sound of the guitar in the background blends well with the soft flow of the lyrics. Plus you never see this hard rock coming with the soft and elegant piano playing in the beginning. I like it. I damn like it!

One of the most memorable boss battle to me has to be in Sonic Adventure against chaos. The song for the battle, "Open your heart" has to be one of the many top favorite songs in Sonic fandom. My personal favorite and lesser known version of this song has to be the Crush 40 v.s Bentley Jones. Having three Sonic music giants dueling it out in a song is enough to get me giddy with joy. They should make music together more oftenwub.png . Sorry, my fangirl moment is over. Ok so I like this version because it packs a punch. You have everything that made the original version good but it takes it a step further by the hardcore orchestra and Jun's rockin' guitar. Plus the dueling voices is again very nice. I'm not sure how else to describe why I like this song so I'll just throw in a ninja emotocon and be done with itph34r.png

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even though Sonic is happy go lucky he sure has a lot of angst filled songs in his music archive. Almost every album has an angry "Im gonna beat the snot out of this bad guy" song. I guess I can't blame our blue hedgehog to have so much pent up anger. I mean, he has to thwart Eggman again and again. It can get annoying. Its been a generation Eggman! it does not seem like your going to be successful in taking over the world anytime soon. Maybe its time to take up that teaching job you mentioned in Sonic Generations. Or become a lawyer (both jobs can be very evil in the wrong hands).

Anyway, here are some of my favorite angry angst filled hard rock songs of the Sonic series! 

You can't say angst without thinking of Shadow the hedgehog (Shadow, "Is that damn Neon making another damn post? Someone tell her to shut up! I have to find this damn chaos emerald!"). Shadow's game got less than high reviews, however the music was awesome. Thats all there is to it. I especially liked what Crush 40 contributed. One of my favorites has to be "Never Turn Back". The song Shadow rocked to while he beat the stuffing out of the alien boss dude (for the life of me I cant remember his name.). The masterful hard sound of the guitar in the background blends well with the soft flow of the lyrics. Plus you never see this hard rock coming with the soft and elegant piano playing in the beginning. I like it. I damn like it!

One of the most memorable boss battle to me has to be in Sonic Adventure against chaos. The song for the battle, "Open your heart" has to be one of the many top favorite songs in Sonic fandom. My personal favorite and lesser known version of this song has to be the Crush 40 v.s Bentley Jones. Having three Sonic music giants dueling it out in a song is enough to get me giddy with joy. They should make music together more oftenwub.png . Sorry, my fangirl moment is over. Ok so I like this version because it packs a punch. You have everything that made the original version good but it takes it a step further by the hardcore orchestra and Jun's rockin' guitar. Plus the dueling voices is again very nice. I'm not sure how else to describe why I like this song so I'll just throw in a ninja emotocon and be done with itph34r.png

Never Turn Back is an amazing song, I totally agree with you. A lot of people tend to forget Shadow's soundtrack exists aside from maybe All Hail Shadow and I am All of me. I'm surprised at how fluent the transition between piano and drums+electric guitar is, and I can't get enough of the vocals. All the best songs help you draw comparisons to what goes on in life, and that's how this song works for me. It's some surprisingly deep stuff.

To be honest with you, I actually don't like the Open Your Heart Bentley Jones remix. Don't get me wrong, I'm really fond of the original version, but the Bentley Jones one feels like a completely different genre: electric hip hop rock. Don't get me wrong, I like all of those genres for the most part, but it just doesn't appeal to me with Open Your Heart. Different tastes, though, you aren't alone. There's actually quite a lot of people that love the Bentley Jones remix, some even prefer it to the original. Me, I'm not really one of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really enjoy the Sonic and the Black Knight song "misty lake". I am not familiar with all the songs in that game, so I can't decide whether or not I like it in full, but this song makes me think of a nice sword jabbing adventure :D.

• Thumbs Up 3

Misty Lake is one of the better pieces in Black Knights overall underwhelming soundtrack. I love the way it's based around Knight of the Wind. Makes for a lovely start to the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Poor Metal sonic. Following Eggman's orders without question instead of following his dreams (Maybe metal sonic wants to be the next american idol. We will never know). Sonic beats the stuffing out of him in several games. The one time he tries to do something for himself in Sonic heroes,

by creating a clone army to take over the world, he fails

. The poor metal guy just can't catch a break. So I thought the least I could do for him was dedicate a post of music devoted our favorite metal hedgehog.

I know episode 4 had mixed reviews. But for me it was kind of exciting to play as metal sonic. Sometimes its fun to play as the bad guy and see their side to the story. My favorite track from the game was the cutscene "Reboot". It kind of symbolizes what Metal sonic goes through. It starts out slow as Metal Sonic gathers his strength then picks up once he is ready to try again. I also think that having the whole song digitized really gives it a robotic feel.

I have always wondered if there was any Metal Sonic vocal themed music. It took some digging on you tube but I actually found it. Metal Sonic had a theme song way back in Virtual Sonic by Howard Drossin. Its kind of an odd song but I like it anyway. It sounds like it belongs to the seventies even though it was made in 1996. But it has a nice groove to it though. Anyway here it is!

To be honest with you, I actually don't like the Open Your Heart Bentley Jones remix. Don't get me wrong, I'm really fond of the original version, but the Bentley Jones one feels like a completely different genre: electric hip hop rock. Don't get me wrong, I like all of those genres for the most part, but it just doesn't appeal to me with Open Your Heart. Different tastes, though, you aren't alone. There's actually quite a lot of people that love the Bentley Jones remix, some even prefer it to the original. Me, I'm not really one of them.

Don't worry about it, everyone has the right to their own opinion. We don't have to agree about everything on this topic. For instance, some people can't stand the Sonic Rush album while others love it. Its ok to feel either way about it. Personally over time I kind of grew to love Sonic rush, its a weird album that takes an odd taste. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys! , wow a lot of songs here .. nice songs of course ... i like very much many of them .. is amazing how this songs make "effect" in our lifes ... in fact, I want to tell a short story ... maybe sounds not important but is something that i cant forget ...

When i was Kid, i was in Big market , with parents, and always wanted my Sega Genesis xD ... but never heard the 16 bits sound... only from nintendo 8 bits, and Sega Master System... and was amazing .. the sounds .. music .. i was flipping in colours ... just for the 8 bits.

And once i was watching a demo of Mario Bros ( there was some TV with demos of games ) , but back of me was the Sega Genesis with Sonic 1 in a tv conected to Sega Genesis as demo .. and i didnt noticed bout that ..and suddenly i heard the voice "Seeeeegaaa!" o_o  and then.. first song where Sonic move his finger like "no no no" XD  .. "tin ton tin ton tintintin ton tin tonnn" .. and me O_O flipping in colours total .. for the kind of sound.. and for the song .. after "green hill" and more flipiing.. was in love of sonic since then XD .. Music is very important for games of course! ...

And time after.. was Sonic 2 .. Emerald Hill Zone and.. Chemical Plant Zone , in love total of this Music Chemical plant .. i think that sometimes i just played for hear the song .. Dont know... i know that this is just simple Story , but is important this memories for me ..

smile.png Hope this post will always work ... ! salut.

Edited by Oscar G.

As a fun fact that I figured out a while ago, never turn back is actually the only one of crush 40's songs with out a guitar solo in it.

Edited by megadude001
  • Thumbs Up 3

All of the nighttime music in Unleashed. I sometimes feel that the nighttime music doesn't get as much respect that it deserves compared to the daytime music. 

Spagonia - Rooftop Run Night is probably my favorite actually. It's probably because of the fact that it makes me feel like a spy so much.

• Thumbs Up 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75KBQnL34c&hd=1

I could easily call every single area map song in Sonic Colors under rated, since you have no reason to spend beyond a few seconds in them. Starlight Carnival's is my utter favorite, it's just so insane, but it really makes you feel like you're visiting a theme park... IN SPACE! 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ya know, this song is not forgotten , But I do need to post it here:

This song brings back a bunch of nostalgia from when I was a teenager and just got acquainted with the Sonic games. We used to play the final boss and take turns being sonic or shadow and it was awesome! I listen to this song all the time, and just needed to share why :).

• Thumbs Up 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75KBQnL34c&hd=1

I could easily call every single area map song in Sonic Colors under rated, since you have no reason to spend beyond a few seconds in them. Starlight Carnival's is my utter favorite, it's just so insane, but it really makes you feel like you're visiting a theme park... IN SPACE! 

Generally, music of maps don't tend to be lengthy. At least in the games I played, didn't.

It makes me wonder if they considered having some kind of hub for each planet. Not necessarily had to be the same size as Unleashed, considering the limitation of the Wii.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now this remix is a forgotten gem.

In Shadow The Hedgehog, a game which doesn't feature Eggman as the 'main' bad guy, the theme for Eggman was actually a remix of 'I am the E.G.G.M.A.N' from Sonic Adventure 2.

Eggman's theme for ShTH is called; E.G.G.M.A.N. Doc Robeatnix Mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SITtJDz5X0

Not as good as the original, but it's a nice remix.

Also:

I think this is one of the saddest pieces of music in the history of Sonic game soundtracks and I love it: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D9o47_dVdg

It's beautiful.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have always wondered if there was any Metal Sonic vocal themed music. It took some digging on you tube but I actually found it. Metal Sonic had a theme song way back in Virtual Sonic by Howard Drossin. Its kind of an odd song but I like it anyway. It sounds like it belongs to the seventies even though it was made in 1996. But it has a nice groove to it though. Anyway here it is!

Drossin, you musical genius! Thank you for finding this Neon! That song is rockin!

I'm feeling an early Crush 40, Son's of Angels vibe from it.

Now this remix is a forgotten gem.

In Shadow The Hedgehog, a game which doesn't feature Eggman as the 'main' bad guy, the theme for Eggman was actually a remix of 'I am the E.G.G.M.A.N' from Sonic Adventure 2.

Eggman's theme for ShTH is called; E.G.G.M.A.N. Doc Robeatnix Mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SITtJDz5X0

Not as good as the original, but it's a nice remix.

Forgotten? Not in my eyes it ain't. I generally am ok with Shadow's soundtrack as a whole, but this is something I'd like to call a high quality remix. I disagree, and say that it's even better than the original! I love this track, it makes me appreciate the original more.

Now that I think about it, I never quite cared that much for the original song, except for the beginning before the vocals kicked in. Now with this song, not only are the instrumentals even more awesome, the vocals fit even better.

And I will never forget that lovely piano. So beautiful...

• Thumbs Up 1

So by far these are not forgotten gems, but I have been wanting to make a post like this for a while. I want to compare the original Escape from the city to the Classic Sonic version of Escape from the city. Now you really cant beat the original and I am not saying one is better than the other. This is more comparing the sound of the past sonic music to the current. If you need an escape from your woes you have come to the right place.

Who knew that a song about Sonic escaping the cops in SA2 would end up being such a catchy tune (or that Sonic has a police recordblink.png )? Escape from the city is one of the legends of Sonic music history. And with good reason. It really was the inspiration for modern sonic music that came after it. Most of my favorite levels and vocal songs has that rocking guitar sound that was captured in this song. Usually sonic music has a techno sound to it, but SA2 started using more instruments instead. Which is why it was easy dividing classic sonic music and modern sonic music in generations. Both sounds are good. The vocals by Ted Poley and Tony Harnell meld together so perfectly that I thought only one person sang the song. Made me wish that they sang more stuff together.

My wish came true in Generations when Ted Poley and Tony Harnell came together to sing escape from the city once more ! With CashCash this time! Was I giddy as a preschooler when I found out that they made two new versions of the Escape from the City song in Generationswub.png ? Yes (she says with shame)unsure.png . Again, you can't beat the original but there are many things I love about the classic version of Escape from the city. The perfect blend of modern and classic sonic sound that I hope will be used in the future. The bouncy and catchy tune that just makes you happy to be playing the level (except for the darn truck. Sonic always has to be chased by a truck or a whale for some reason. poor sonic .). Now the original version used guitars while this version has more of a digitized sound. The guitars played along with the melody in the older version which was really nice. And in the new version the digitized sound created a melody of its own that contrasted very well with the vocal melody. Which shows that this song is able to be successful played in many different ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

That reminds me, there's a version that I feel is forgotten, and is the instrumental city escape that appeared only in the Trial version of the game.

The guitar riffs made the melody here, which I think is pretty good.
  • Thumbs Up 2

That reminds me, there's a version that I feel is forgotten, and is the instrumental city escape that appeared only in the Trial version of the game.

The guitar riffs made the melody here, which I think is pretty good.

This is amazing! I have never heard it before (which is rare if you know how sonic music crazed I amtongue.png ). Thanks for posting it!

Break out the violins and tissue boxes folks! Im gonna post about some of the tear jerker music in Sonic history! One of the things I like most about Sonic music is that it has many different sounds to it that cause different emotions. Sega knows what kind of music to use to give ambiance for different emotions they want their audience to feel during the games. The stories have a good flow to them, you laugh you cry and feel happy when playing sonic without feeling overwhelmed by one emotion. Which is good storytelling. 

I might have already posted this song. I honestly can't remember. So sorry if I already have. Anyway, "Worth a Chance" from Sonic and the Secret rings is one of my favorite sad sonic tracks. You can tell that Steve Conte put a lot of feeling into this. The melody is nice too. It does not take much to make the melody a good song. The instruments in the background are subdued in order to let Steve's voice take charge. It was an expert opinion on Sega's part to do this. Sometimes the simpler the song is the better and more memorably it turns out to be. It may be a sad song but it has a ray of hope in it that I like.

The "Just Smile" event music from 06 really takes the cake for the saddest sonic song. I never cry when I see videos or listen to music. But I came very close when hearing this for the first time. I love whoever did the violin for this. This song proves that the orchestra for Sonic music can really hold their own. Especially since they can convey such tragic emotions without a singer.  Every time I hear the orchestra join the violin it always makes my heart skip a beat. Its that powerful. Which is why its a shame that 06 did not do so well with the fans. Because the music for it was well done. Very well done. Despite the flaws of the game, I am glad to know that a lot of the fans recognize that the music was not one of these flaws.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
Today, I’d like to bring up a few tracks from Sonic Free Riders (Get it? Because it‘s a racing game?). Like almost any other Sonic game, it has great music. I’m fond of these two in particular:

Boom boom boom ba da boom, boom boom boom ba da boom~

Jump it up, jump it up, jump it up, jump it up!

There are more songs that I would like to point out, but I’ll save those for another time.
  • Thumbs Up 3