Awoo.

Final Fantasy XV [Formerly Versus XIII] (Xbox One, PS4)

Detective Shadzter

Oh oh oh. Gotcha, that's perfectly fine then.

By the way, can you please put the GIFs in Spoiler tags...this page is lagging hard on my laptop smile.png

Very well, just give me a bit.  Again this is by the main Kingdom Hearts team, so it's using various elements from that series.

EDIT: Done, people with weak PCs should have an easier time now.

Also here's some warp point examples:

SVGQAMW.jpg

VjHLOo5.jpg

b3JU0xz.jpg

Edited by Tetsuya Nomura

• 3 weeks later...

*well, sorry, so bump* So I noticed something that just agrees to death with the following statement:

I'm getting Lightning Returns as well as FF XV...but I have the feeling that Lightning Returns will feel extremely underwhelming after playing FF XV, because this game looks too beast for its own good.

Okay, so to prove that, I just conjured up a list of the surviving Square Enix Product Development Division Departments. The PDD's 6 and 8 are out--Toshirou Tsuchida left to join GREE, and Koichi Ishii founded Grezzo. Yes, the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3DS ports are in fact, made by key people at Squeenix. Luckily, even when developers leave and jump ship too often (I'm looking at you, Sakaguchi D8<), there's hope that this game will be good.

Note that I'm only covering the Square portion of the development teams, by the way.

Here goes:

Square Product Development Division 1 (Note: This is the only Division that pretty much exists in a concrete form as of late, however this studio focuses itself on console games after KH: 358/2 Days' release.)

Known for (specific games): (Fanon: Final Fantasy VI, Bahamut Lagoon), Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X-2, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Sigma Harmonics, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Key people: Yoshinori Kitase, Motomu Toriyama, Isamu Kamikokuryo

Approach to game design: Heavy focus on storytelling, presentation and aesthetics--can be seen in common linear map designs and the Crystal Tools and Luminous Studio engines

Square Product Development Division 2 (Note: As of late, no one knows where this division is even when it makes games, its head recently released something for Japanese mobile phones.)

Known for (specific games): (Fanon: Final Fantasy II, Rudra no Hihou) SaGa Frontier, SaGa Frontier 2, Racing Lagoon, Legend of Mana, Unlimited SaGa Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Code Age Commanders, Code Age Brawls, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Emperors SaGa

Key people: Akitoshi Kawazu, Toshiyuki Itahana, Tomomi Kobayashi

Approach to game design: Freeform stories and unorthodox or controversial methods of play--can be seen in stat grinding as well as the spell strengthening system in the Crystal Chronicles series

Square Product Development Division 3 (Note: In the vein of how the heads of 6 and 8 moved to GREE and formed Grezzo respectively, much of this studio's staff is under Nintendo as Monolith Soft.)

Known for (specific games): (Fanon: Final Fantasy III, Chrono TriggerXenogears, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart, Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia, Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan, the Final Fantasy III remake, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Key people: Naoki Yoshida, Nobuaki Komoto, Mizuki Itou

Approach to game design: Realized worlds that often leave reviewers and fans inadequate to due rushed development periods or executive meddling--can be seen in in Xenogears and Final Fantasy XIV

Square Product Development Division 4 (Note: The only man who has been with Final Fantasy since the beginning and hasn't left still works in this studio and created many of its battle systems.)

Known for (specific games): (Fanon: Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IX), Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Tetra Master, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy XII, Gyromancer, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, The Last Remnant, Guardian Cross

Key people: Hiroyuki Ito, Akihiko Yoshida, Alexander O. Smith

Approach to game design: Immaculate gameplay, sublime art direction and preservation of high fantasy elements sometimes instead of intricate stories--can be seen in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy XII

Square Product Development Division 5 (Note: It doubles as the new KH team after 358/2 Days' release and the Osaka "sub-team" of the 1st Division after a merger, despite focus on handhelds.)

Known for (specific games): (Fanon: Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII, Kingdom Hearts: coded) Parasite Eve II, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Kingdom Hearts: Re:Chain of Memories, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts: Re:coded, The 3rd Birthday, Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Type-0, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Kingdom Hearts: HD 1.5 REMiX, Kingdom Hearts IIIFinal Fantasy XV

Key people: Hajime Tabata, Tetsuya Nomura, Yuusuke Naora

Approach to game design: Integration of addictive gameplay and art direction into a slightly linear yet engrossing narrative--can be seen in the Kingdom Hearts games and later Compilation of Final Fantasy VII games

Square Product Development Division 7 (Note: Despite the fact that it helped create several Final Fantasy spinoff titles, is is often thought of as the Zoidberg division due to its low, low publicity.)

Known for (specific games): (Fanon: Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger) Parasite Eve, Chocobo Racing, The Bouncer, the Final Fantasy IV remake, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, The Game With No Name, Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, Final Fantasy Dimension, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

Key people: Takashi Tokita, well, that's about it.

Approach to game design: Either experimenting drastically with or sticking heavily to the Final Fantasy formula--can be seen in the Final Fantasy IV remakes and Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

TL;DR: XV and KHIII is developed by a construct of the KH and Type-0/Crisis Core teams, so we're pretty much in good hands.

Edited by Lennox

So the team that is making Lightning Returns has absolutely done nothing compared to Nomura's Team? And where is The World Ends With You?

So the team that is making Lightning Returns has absolutely done nothing compared to Nomura's Team? And where is The World Ends With You?

Ahh, oh, right. Technically, as it was pre-2008 in Japan (in other words, BEFORE 358/2), it was a 1st Division game.

Pretty much, Nomura's 5th Division/"sub-team" of the 1st Division is the better game design department as a whole. As said, the 1st Division tends to focus development on graphics and storyline, so, natch.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm not entirely feeling fond of the warp being automatic.

But playing and watching is a different story, so it might be a different case when I get to feel the action myself.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm not entirely feeling fond of the warp being automatic.

It's not. You lock on to something that can be warped to(Enemies, certain places on the area) and press a button

Oh. Well nevermind then, this might be even better that I thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Gametrailers put this video together using info from trailers, teasers and interviews by Nomura over the years. Pretty good stuff:

• Thumbs Up 4

Similarities between this and Kingdom Hearts according to Nomura:

We’ve seen the speed that Noctis is capable of in the gameplay trailer from E3. Nomura, who says they’re focusing greatly on the sense of speed, compares it to the Kingdom Hearts series in that players can get a grasp of the character’s movements, but a person who is simply watching might not understand what’s going on.

So like i thought, it's kinda like KH2's Drive Form gameplay:

Hopefully this will put confused people at ease.

Read more details about the gameplay here:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/28/director-nomura-talks-similarities-between-final-fantasy-xv-and-kingdom-hearts/

Edited by Noctis Caelum

• 2 weeks later...

So old school FF fans like me should like what Nomura had to say here:

If you see the trailer you might actually think it’s very action based – especially compared to the previous FFs. We wanted to create like an action-based FF this time because we wanted to create a dynamic feeling between the story and the game itself.

“Of course, we are going to put many FF elements into it, because otherwise there is no point calling Final Fantasy XV. Naturally, we still think we should have some old school FF feeling to the game. Yeah, I would like to achieve that as much as I can. Our goal is to ensure that the player never actually stops playing. This is the reason behind it and it will be great if we can achieve that.” Naturally, the power of the new consoles will help make this a reality.”

http://gamingbolt.com/final-fantasy-15-tetsuya-nomura-details-gameplay-change-in-vision

THANK YOU! Freaking thank you!   Honestly the more i hear about this game the better it looks.

Edited by Noctis Caelum
  • Thumbs Up 4

So old school FF fans like should like what Nomura had to say here:

http://gamingbolt.com/final-fantasy-15-tetsuya-nomura-details-gameplay-change-in-vision

THANK YOU! Freaking thank you!   Honestly the more i hear about this game the better it looks.

So, what makes a Final Fantasy game, a Final Fantasy game? Yes, I'm a newb...the only FF games I've played are the ones everyone seems to hate after all.

So, what makes a Final Fantasy game, a Final Fantasy game? Yes, I'm a newb...the only FF games I've played are the ones everyone seems to hate after all.

Well a Final Fantasy is (This is how i like to see it) a good combination of exploration, combat and story. In my opinion these are the 3 main components. Since you've been checking out Ni no Kuni i will point you to that game as a good example of what i mean. The world map of Ni no Kuni is done exactly like in the PS1 FFs, take a look at FFIX:

FFIX has a world map full of secrets and side stuff to do outside of the main quest. This was completely absent from XIII which is one of the main reasons why FFXIII doesn't feel like a FF to me.

Also the game lacked the iconic tunes of the series like the main theme. The best way i can explain is imagine if during a crawl of a Star Wars movie there was another theme playing instead of the main Star Wars theme that we all know and love.

In fact, since you're a newb watch Marzgurl's video about it, as she puts it greatly:

Man, I'm really stoked for this game...too bad that the game will probably come in 2015.

Late 2014, most likely.

Hum....that article is about KH3 not XV. In fact nowhere do i see anything mentioning XV's release.

The reasons are “there is absolutely no way Kingdom Hearts 3 will be released in 2014 due to the fact that it is in extremely early stages of development and the fact that Nomura [referring to Tetsuya Nomura, the game's director] himself said he was taking the time to promote the new Final Fantasy XV, a game he wanted to create for the longest time.

?

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering Normua is focusing more on XV over KH3 as of now, and 2014 is pretty empty for them, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible firbt game to release next year. The game is almost finished unlike 3. The development for 3 is barely moving yet BECAUSE of XV after all.

So i was browsing around and i found an awesome fandub of the scene where Noctis and Stella meet from the 2009 trailer so i thought I'd share:

The translation was made by Hassan Aljary, famed Youtube Let's Player and fan of the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering Normua is focusing more on XV over KH3 as of now, and 2014 is pretty empty for them, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible firbt game to release next year. The game is almost finished unlike 3. The development for 3 is barely moving yet BECAUSE of XV after all.

I'm still slightly disappointed in the mentality of turning each title into a franchise from the start. Before, sequels were an after thought. Now, they're trying to break the game into 3 pieces and with FFXIII, I'm not sure if they could pull it off well. FFXV looks better but the alarms are still raised.

I'm still slightly disappointed in the mentality of turning each title into a franchise from the start. Before, sequels were an after thought. Now, they're trying to break the game into 3 pieces and with FFXIII, I'm not sure if they could pull it off well. FFXV looks better but the alarms are still raised.

I'd rather they plan ahead and not have a bunch of stupid shit shoe-horned into the sequels, i.e. "FANG AND VANILLA ARE ALIVE BUT THEY'RE NOT BUT THEY ARE", "LIGHTNING DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE GODDESS LIGHTNING IS A GODDESS LIGHTNING HATES THE GODDESS", "GENESIS GENESIS GENESIS", and so forth. 

If they're gonna do it, plan it from the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to mention he also said the first game is self contained, so i think it's too early to be worrying about that.