Awoo.

Final Fantasy XV [Formerly Versus XIII] (Xbox One, PS4)

Detective Shadzter

To clarify: The DLC portion thing was just an april fools joke from a site i go to:

Yeah, just went back and saw that when I originally posted it, it was on March 31st.

And we know this how?

Well, we HAVE seen gameplay screens and music has been released. Nomura also said that more news concerning the game will be shown on September 1st. A little odd to tell people this when it is going to be canceled.

Edit: Seems like I was linked to an article that was predicting that FF VS 13 will be talked about.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/20/final-fantasy-xiii-announcement-incoming-on-september-1

A user on a forum I go onto might shed a little light.

"It was announced that they went into full development back in last september...they would have like 75% of the game done by now. Also they are using the Crystal Tools engine which was previously used for XIII and XIII-2.....so I doubt it's some engine compatibility issue."

Edited by Autosaver

Yeah, just went back and saw that when I originally posted it, it was on March 31st.

Yeah but it was april first where the author of the post is.

Well would ya look at that. Square shot themselves in the foot. Again.

I'm seriously tempted to just start buying Kingdom Hearts games used so as to not have to give them any of my money; I'm sick and tired of shit like this.

Not that I would know, since I don't regularly read it, but several people in this thread have already pointed out that Kotaku has a reputation for spreading utterly false rumors. Probably best to wait a bit before we start accepting this as fact.

If it is true (which admittedly does seem somewhat plausible), then, well...that's really unfortunate, especially considering that it looked like exactly like what a lot of fans wanted after basically every FF after IX got simply abysmal reception from almost half the fanbase (not that I can agree~...well, except for XIII-2, that game was horrid). Of course, if it's become Final Fantasy XV, that's another story entirely.

Nomura also said that more news concerning the game will be shown on September 1st.

Source?

Well, we HAVE seen gameplay screens and music has been released. Nomura also said that more news concerning the game will be shown on September 1st. A little odd to tell people this when it is going to be canceled.

So...

None of the announced stage events center around Final Fantasy Versus XIII, something that Japanese gamers were quick to point out on game sites and blogs.

was this part proven wrong somewhere or am I missing something?

Honestly with a game this size and caliber they're trying to make, I seriously doubt that they're already 75%, and that's not even counting the part that if Kotaku's rumor is to be trusted, it was possibly cancelled or reformed right during the March period. By now we'd have gotten information if it's that far in development.

It's another The Last Guardian scenario. I'm really not going to get my hopes up after six years of wait and anticipation. If it's not cancelled, great. But I'm not counting on anything substantial.

Not just screens, there's been gameplay footage shown. Internally it's on a very playable state, pretty far along in development.

it was possibly cancelled or reformed right during the March period

I can directly deny this, but won't provide sources.

As far as hearing things go: Square marketing works on a game by game basis. They stagger releases and focus only in one big game every 1-2, and you won't hear anything about the next until the current is out. Recently, this has happened with 13, Type-0 (previously Agito), 13-2, etc.

The silence is nothing new - it would not be unusual for them to suddenly put up a shitload of information at, say, TGS followed by a steady flow of information leading to a December launch. Doesn't mean they will do that, mind you.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Kotaku... Well, it's considered a complete joke by most intelligent gamers. As far as gaming journalism credibility goes, it's one of the worst.

I'm not questioning their writing ethics or shoddy approaches, they are truly terrible.

But their sources are, for the most part, solid. Don't confuse the two.

They're not.

Unless by sources you mean the other blogs/sites/forums from where they take the "insider news" to post about without even linking the original article/post. Because of the latter you'd think they were breaking the story, and I understand the confusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Final Fantasy vs. XIII possibly canceled.

2581qok.jpg

The amount of fucks I give about this game is non-existent. It's cancellation will just be another notch in Square-Enix's console incompetence belt this generation. I honestly would not be surprised if the rumors proved true.

This is loltaku, though. They're hardly ever right but, they are sort of stating the obvious here. I mean, the game was announced when again? 2006? We've seen barely anything about it since 2008, and the whole Toriyama and his team being the shittiest developers ever, and needing the Kingdom Hearts team to help with XIII, pretty much killed this project before it even began.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

...but multiple titles were announced in 2006 and took forever to be released. Remember Final Fantasy Agito? Took forever and was finally released late 2011 in Japan. This was the only "awesome" looking game by Square Enix. I honestly doubt you would be disappointed when this comes out.

They're not.

Unless by sources you mean the other blogs/sites/forums from where they take the "insider news" to post about without even linking the original article/post. Because of the latter you'd think they were breaking the story, and I understand the confusion.

I can see you're firm on this, so i'll just drop it.

Anyway, i doubt this game will die like this, it'll just turn into FF15.

Honestly, I think the Final Fantasy series should just drop the numbered sequels already. None of them have any actual connection with each other, and it's getting to the point where the sheer number of numbered sequels is becoming a joke among gamers.

Though, it would be hilarious if they eventually reached Final Fantasy XXVII and used the character design used in that cameo poster in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Wouldn't text subtitles make it more confusing than numbers? Especially given the naming conventions at play.

Though, it would be hilarious if they eventually reached Final Fantasy XXVII and used the character design used in that cameo poster in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

We'd never ask for this.

Wouldn't text subtitles make it more confusing than numbers? Especially given the naming conventions at play.

... Fuck. Damn it, Square, enough with the pretentious naming crap, already.

We'd never ask for this.

I walked right into that one, didn't I?

Actually, that isn't official at all. They literally just quoted a post of someone from Neogaf who said the information flies in the face of what they were told about a month ago. Mind, Kotaku said the game was cancelled a few weeks ago, so the jury's still out. This is what happens when you show nothing of your game for years.

Honestly, I think the Final Fantasy series should just drop the numbered sequels already. None of them have any actual connection with each other, and it's getting to the point where the sheer number of numbered sequels is becoming a joke among gamers.

Seriously. The games even started playing completely differently between installments starting with X. Might as well just keep the ingame traditions like spell names and stuff, and just start making games with different titles, like how Bravely Default is basically a FF game like 3,5, and 4HoL, but doesn't have the name. You could also argue that it's getting to the point that using the name Final Fantasy won't help a game anymore.

NOT CANCELED.

Fucking good. About damn time we got some coverage.

Edit: Oh, didn't see the other posts. My bad. I was tired and just wanted to get it out.

Edited by Desudash Demonhoof

It turn out to be Kotaku was wrong after all.

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!

You guys did read that that article isn't official, right? So it holds no more weight than Kotaku's. The only real news on this game, right now, is that Square-Enix's stock has started dropping, perhaps because S-E has still not come clear on the status of the game.

Double post but, now there IS something concrete. Yochi Wada's Twitter.

ヴェルサスがキャンセルされたってデマ流してるやつがいるらしい。フフ..たった今ヴェルサス定例会議が終わったとこ。今日プレゼンされた街なんぞ見たら腰抜かすでぇ~w

— 和田洋一 (@yoichiw)

Translation:“It seems someone is spreading a false rumor about Versus being canceled. Heh, just a few moments ago a regularly scheduled meeting for Versus ended. If you were to see the city etc. presented today, you’d wouldn’t be able to stand from surprise, lol.”

So not only is he simultaneously confirming that it's not canceled, he's also hinting at big things for Versus XIII? Well, that helps.

So it's not cancelled you say? Kotaku was wrong yet again? Who'd have guessed!

Now let's see the actual game at TGS pls.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would definitely like them to actually fucking show it for once. They need to give me a reason to care about the project, it's been 6 years and pretty much everything has been behind closed doors. :\

This is why I wish developers wouldn't announce games until they're mostly complete, so we don't have to get frustrated with these stupidly long waits.

• Thumbs Up 2