Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed vs. Sonic Colors Extra Round - Final Thoughts

Soniman

Unleashed was definitely a step up from 06 in terms of enemies. The Egg Fighters were more... Eggmany than the forgettable Egg Gunners, and the Dark Gaia minions, at least to me, were tons better than the Black Arms and Iblis minions, since they were slightly more cartoony, unique, and there was actually more types than just four or five.

In the end though, I'll choose Colours again, simply because I remember when seeing the first few images back in 2010, I was ecstatic to see the beloved Badniks again. Okay, so maybe they appeared in a few side games like Rivals 2, and Sonic 4 was starting at the time, but this was the first time since the Adventure series that they've appeared in a main 3D console game. And then there was the Egg Pawns, which I never minded to begin with but were a lot better in this game, since they each had different themes and motifs rather than just different guns and shields, and as such reminded me of the Rhynocs and Lab Assistants from Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

Perhaps it's because of the games I played in my childhood, but I always like to have varied enemies, especially themed ones. It's one of the reasons for why the Badniks are my favourite evil minions of all time, so I was very happy with the enemies in Colours.

• Thumbs Up 4

I played Sonic Unleashed and I actually beat it, it's one of my favorite games ever.

But when Sonic Colors was released, from the game's title and the review I thought it was all colorful, cheerful and such... Somethin meant for kids to play, well I have never played that game, I don't have a Wii which means I won't be able to play it in the next 10 or... 10 million years, so I can't judge, but is it really that great that it could be compared to Sonic Unleashed?!

EDIT: Am currently prepping analysis. Will post once topic change occurs.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

I think Sonic Unleashed has the better story. It actually manages to have a decent, balanced tone unlike Sonic Colors, which strayed too far on the humorous side (not to mention quite a few of the jokes weren't funny), and took itself more seriously without going overboard with that aspect. It just felt like a much more engaging narrative then Colours, which went too overboard on the jokes.

So yeah, my vote goes to Unleashed. I might expand more later but bedtime calls.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is a hard one. In terms of the overall story (concept, I mean), I think they're about equal. Eggman shatters the world and Sonic has to put it back together? Sweet. Eggman kidnaps aliens and Sonic needs to save 'em? Also cool.

I'd say the one thing Colours had over Unleashed is character interaction, not only for Eggman and Scratch and Grounder Orbot and Cubot but, the scenes with Sonic and Tails were a lot more natural than most other games in the series. I have to say, that really got my hopes up for when other characters would appear in future games, but Generations went kind of the opposite direction ... eh, maybe next time.

When it comes down to it, my main problems with both of these games is similar. It's been mentioned elsewhere but, both stories have a lot of the content at the beginning and ending while the middle is pretty much empty. And that's pretty dumb, since the middle parts of a story should have some of the most important stuff. There's also missed opportunities, which are more obvious in Colours--Yacker, mind controlling Tails--but are present in Unleashed too. I really did think they might be going somewhere with Sonic's transformation into the Werehog and how it might effect his personality.

When it comes down to it, I personally have to go with Colours, if only because I just find it more entertaining than Unleashed in many ways. I will admit the overabundance of jokes were kind of silly but it wasn't nearly enough to ruin it for me. (And some of them made me laugh which is probably a sign that I'm five years old I guess??)

Welp, I'll be in my bunker.

This attitude definitely won't result in a self-fulfilling prophecy, am I right?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic Unleashed has the better story. It actually manages to have a decent, balanced tone unlike Sonic Colors, which strayed too far on the humorous side (not to mention quite a few of the jokes weren't funny), and took itself more seriously without going overboard with that aspect. It just felt like a much more engaging narrative then Colours, which went too overboard on the jokes.

So yeah, my vote goes to Unleashed. I might expand more later but bedtime calls.

I was going to make my own post, but you summed this up perfectly. Unleashed wins by a longshot. 

I'm sorry Soniman, but I'm going to have to choose Unleashed for the first time. >:

I'd explain why, but... Verte kinda covered everything I would have said and then some.

I'm sorry Soniman, but I'm going to have to choose Unleashed for the first time. >:

I'd explain why, but... Verte kinda covered everything I would have said and then some.

Lol no worries, I kind of figured Unleashed would excel in this category anyway despite my views.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really like either of them but Sonic Unleashed story is so much better! I don't even see the point in giving examples: pretty much everything is better in Unleashed in terms of story. So yeah, Unleashed, hands down.

Well, I don't even have to add anything. This is exactly how I feel about the storytelling of Colors. Unleashed wins, hands down.

To be brutally honest, Unleashed's story bored me. I don't really care about Sonic's Friend of the Day and the fact that the Werehog didn't affect Sonic's personality at all makes me wonder what the point was in even having him as a plot element in the first place. To show how strong and perfect Sonic is? Fuck that, that's the boring side of Sonic I don't give a crap about. In Colors he's written as a complete dickhead who keeps trying to remind everyone how cool he thinks he is. And I loved that. He's a relic of the 90's, so seeing him act like one is really nice. On the other hand, Tails was so great in Colors he became one of my favorite characters because of it. Colors' great and actually interesting characterization made it easier to forget that nothing was really happening. In Unleashed they traveled the world which should really bring on more potential and plot elements than theme park-hopping, but the only shit that happened was that Sonic and Chip discovered the true meaning of friendship or whatever, and it never really advanced beyond that to me, what with the meh writing and dull characters (besides Pickle, if he was more prominent to the story I swear to god Unleashed would win) and... I just... didn't care about Chip at all. And the plot centered around him, so that's NO GOOD. In terms of plot, both are pretty similar however. Sonic goes places with friend, fights Eggman, nothing really happens. But Colors' brilliant cinematics and writing made nothing look slightly more like something, sooooo...

Colors TRIUMPHS again >:3

Edited by Starscream
  • Thumbs Up 7

There's no doubt that Unleashed definitely has the bigger story, it's far grander and plot-driven compared to Colors, and it was... okay for what it did. In terms of writing, however, I'll give it to Colors.

Colors' writing just seems... fuller to me. What I mean is, I think it has more personality than Unleashed's. Say what you want about the jokes, but I never really minded them, and chuckled at at least one. The writing and dialogue is just so full of life. Dare I say, it's colorful.

This personality extends to Sonic and Tails, the former of which is a lot cockier than he has been in previous games, and the latter just goes "cool story bro" at all of his boasts, likely because he's seen it all before; it's nothing new to him. They're also much closer than they've seemed to be prior to Colors. They take the piss out of each other every now and again, which to me demonstrates a sort of bond between them. 

This relationship between Sonic and Tails is also shown through Sonic action's when Tails gets mind-controlled; the jokes stop, and he gets right pissed

Also, pay attention to how Sonic behaves (for lack of a better word) after he sees that he can't get to Eggman without Tails getting in the way. At that point, Sonic just desperately tries to snap Tails out of it, trying to avoid fighting his best friend. The only reason he did avoid fighting his best friend is because Eggman ran out of Hyper Go-on Power. He had more, it would've came to blows between Sonic and Tails. Once Tails is released from Eggman mind-control laser, the first thing Sonic does is immediately ask if he's all right, obviously very worried about him.

Also, note how Sonic pushes Tails into the elevator and sends back to Earth to protect him. He obviously cares about Tails a great deal. While he does this, Tails screams something like, "Sonic, noooooo!", implying that while Tails said he was scared, he still wanted to help Sonic beat Eggman, so while he may not be all that open about it anymore, Tails clearly cares a lot about Sonic too. In this way, Sonic and Tails' relationship is like AOSTH, except in AOSTH,  Tails was much more childlike (and four years younger, but that's not important).

In Unleashed, Tails was pretty much your cabbie, and not much more than that. Any sort of bonding scene or something similar was spent with Chip instead. The writing and dialogue is a lot more sedated and not-so-much AOSTH in your face like Colors was. But I welcomed the in-your-faceness of Colors (and AOSTH, at that). I think it's what the series needed after so many grandiose plots.

I probably could've elaborated better, but I guess what I'm trying to say is, while Unleashed's plot wasn't bad per se, I prefer Colors'.

Colours just had moments in the plot that left me pissed off when I thought about them. Unleashed could drag, but everything felt more in place. 

Eh, Unleashed. I want to keep this quick. 

Unleashed for sure.  Colours was just full of loose threads and... hell the entire finale came out of a mere coincidence established WAY too early on and forgotten about.  Just came off as as cheap victory for Sonic.

Stuff like Yakker going missing and it never amounting to anything, the mind-control beam wearing off instantly.  Just all of it felt like the story was getting interesting and surprising, then had to be quickly yanked back lest they intervene with having their neat 6 zones of 6 acts and a boss with nothing but pure gameplay driving them etc.

Finally, while the final showdown being nothing but petty revenge on Eggman's part in Colours was a welcome change to the formula, I still prefer Unleashed's grand, cinematic showdown.

So yeah, totally Unleashed for this one.

Boy... characterisation is gonna be a tough one though.  I love best buddy Unleashed Sonic AND snarky Colours Sonic.  8C

Edited by JezMM

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to write here. Judging from most responses am I led to believe that "writing" and "story" are considered one and the same here? Because both have varying strengths when it comes to these things.

Story-wise I'd say neither wins. Colors' story near the end does a good job to weave game play and narrative but other than that it has a rather glaring plothole in what's generally a story where not much happens, the trade-off being some good exposition. Unleashed's story on the other hand is just kind of boring. Unmemorable. Chip was a lame character so I didn't care for half of the story revolving around him. It has nice ideas with exploring cultures while on an adventure to save the world but it never really gets interesting. Having more story doesn't mean it's inherently better, and Unleashed is so inoffensive up until the finale where it's another rehashed "battle of the gods" scenario that I can't really call it better.

Writing I'd say Colors wins because it manages to make Sonic an entertaining character because of how lame he is, which allows for Tails to bounce off of it, finally grow an identity and create some interesting dynamic. Never got this from Unleashed as every character there had a point A to point B mentality to them with the exception of Chip who's only character trait is "I like food". Every new character in this game always abides by some silly quirky trait, particularly Pickle, but nothing interesting is done with them. We're supposed to see Sonic as someone who does good and helps Chip out because he's his friend but I never get this impression from the game. It's hard to care about the nature for the characters' actions when there's nothing done in the game that makes me, well, care for them. The only thing that they really do is eat food but I can't say there's any moment that ever struck me as "yeah they're great friends" until the game tells me that they are once Chip has his resolve. And Chip suddenly gaining an important role in being Light Gaia doesn't add anything to that apart from turning an annoying character into a plot device.

• Thumbs Up 7

Unleashed, totally with Verte on this one, Colours seemed to bring up a fair bit of seemingly important material that it just threw away, I had a hard time caring about Yacker,  it was entertaining I guess, it just didn't hype me to defeat Dr.Eggman in the slightest.

Edited by Mysterics

I think people need to start learning the differences between "plot", "story", and "writing" I know they all sound the same, but they're still distinct from each other.(God, my Literature Course still haunts me).

In terms of plot neither are particularly good, but I guess I'll give Unleashed this one for having a pretty good opening and ending. Unfortunately, that's where my love for it ends. Game starts off strong, but then after the opening is over, the plot just kind of...stops, you would be forgiven for forgetting the game even had a story of any kind considering how little shit happens until Adabat/Eggmanland. Colors may be worse plotting wise, but Unleashed ultimately tried to tell a story and didn't really do a good job at it. However, I do give Unleashed this over Colors.

Both stories can basically be summed up as: "Eggman's causing trouble, go smash some robots" so neither one get any points in this regard.

Writing, Colors hands down. Every character in Unleashed is just so subdued and mundane that I couldn't give a shit. Sonic doesn't do anything particularly memorable or anything more than what we're used to him doing, Chip is more or less the cutsey sidekick and then try to pull some emotional depth with him after spending the whole game as comic relief. Tails & Amy don't do crap, and while Eggman is undoubtedly the most well written character in the game, he still doesn't do a whole lot. The whole Werehog subplot doesn't go anywhere. Colors may have a questionable sense of humor, but the characters bounce off each other so well and it makes them feel more human and actually have personality; Sonic is the over the top large ham, while Tails plays straight man and calls him out on his dorkiness and both aren't afraid to take snide remarks at each other. Sonic & Eggman engage in some pretty chuckle worthy snarking before the final boss, etc. etc. I may not be feeling the cartoony direction the series is taking, but I can sure as hell get behind it's writing.

So survey says, I don't think either game particularly stands out for the reasons I stated above, but fi I had to chose I'd go with Colors mostly because I'm more towards character driven narratives than story driven ones. Can't care about a story if you don't care about the characters, and while Colors may not have tried to tell a good story, I at least cared about some of the characters. Can't say that about Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think people need to start learning the differences between "plot", "story", and "writing" I know they all sound the same, but they're still distinct from each other.(God, my Literature Course still haunts me).

Checked it up, and I wasn't aware there was a difference between the two. Thanks for bringing it up; I'll be sure to add it to my analysis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they explain Yacker's disappearance in the DS version of Colours. So go play that to find out!

Anyway story wise Unleashed is better because the plot has a bigger scope and a great EPIC feel, though I couldn't care less about Dark Gaia which was just another Monster of the Week. Chip was ok, but his voice was really annoying and he didn't have much personality besides liking food and being cutesy. Professor Pickle was funny I guess, but other than that...

And writing wise, definitely Colours! True there were a few too many cheesy jokes, but the dialogue felt SO natural between Sonic, Tails and Eggman. Cubot and Orbot were really funny too, as were Eggman's PA announcements in the stages. Sonic and Chip never had that great chemistry...it was sweet I guess but a bit corny and forced. I also find it hard to believe that this weird flying fox thing is a God, the opposite of Dark Gaia. O_o

I'm gonna have to go for a tie here! Unleashed has a superior story, but the writing was bland as hell. Colours had stronger dialogue and characterisation, but the story was akin to Sonic Heroes as it didn't have a lot of substance. They are both pretty much on par in this category.