Awoo.

How did you get into Sonic the Hedgehog?

Chaos Incarnate

First time I got into sonic was the Sonic & Knuckles rom on a windows laptop. First time I saw it, I thought it was a good game. I don't know the rest of my memories but me and my bro used to play 2P mode on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the Gamecube. Then the family bought Sonic Heroes for the xbox off from play.com. I haven't seen my brother play or like sonic that much after then but I still continued to play the games. A few years later I bought myself a pre-owned Game Gear from my local gamestation store and I did play sonic the hedgehog 2 for awhile but the charger was useless so I traded it back in. Then i bought myself a Dreamcast and got into the habit of playing Sonic Adventure. I've played loads of sonic games for many years on the PS3, Xbox 360, iPod Touch and some other consoles and handheld devices.

Well, when I was 4, we got a Dreamcast. One of the games that came with it was SA2. I played the hell out of that game, and still love it today. Later, I got a GCN, bought Heroes, and thought it was fun. But my obsession began with.... Sonic 06. I am dead serious. I, at a young age, LOVED that game, and no matter how badly it was recieved by critics and the general public, it got me hooked. The rest, as they say, is history.

When I was around 5 years old, my father would always bring me to his friend's house around every Saturday. I never had a Genesis before. By that time, I had a SNES, PS1, and a GBC. Sure, it was about the time the Dreamcast came out and Sonic became his awesome Modern self, but at that time, I didn't even know what a Dreamcast existed. The 2 girls who lived there, who then became long time childhood friends, had a Genesis with 'every' Classic Sonic game released for it. I then became engrossed with Sonic as a kid, drawing him every day during Elementary School and was properly nicknamed "That Sonic Girl" for it, but I didn't mind. Being a Sonic fan for so long really does make me feel nostalgic, but maybe, due to the blue dude with a 'tude being a huge part of my memories, I can remember them better. I'm glad, ah hah...

My family bought a Gateway computer sometime in the mid 90s that came bundled with a couple games, including the PC versions of Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic CD. Thus, my earliest memories of the hedgehog are of me controlling him with a keyboard; Far from ideal, mind you, but as a kid I didn't mind.

Edited by Kireek

Why is adventure 2 battle the game that got so many people into the series? I'm not calling it a bad game or anything, but that seems to be the game that made people sonic fans.

Why is adventure 2 battle the game that got so many people into the series? I'm not calling it a bad game or anything, but that seems to be the game that made people sonic fans.

It was the first Sonic game to be released on a non-SEGA home console, introducing the series to gamers who previously wouldn't have had access to it.

^ Yeah pretty much.

I belive I got intrested by playing my dads Sonic 2 on his Game Gear. But I only really enjoyed it cause of either SA2B or Sonic Advance. I forget which one I played first but yeah.

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic 2 is what got me in.  I was 4 when my stepdad got a Sega Genesis and Sonic 2 was one of the several titles he bought for the system.  He only later got Sonic 1.  Been a fan of the hedgehog ever since.

It was the first Sonic game to be released on a non-SEGA home console, introducing the series to gamers who previously wouldn't have had access to it.

Not to mention it was the 10th anniversary of Sonic and a new wave of fans usually forms every every ten years or so.  I'm seeing more and more people lately say that Sonic Heroes or a later game was their first.  It has a lot to do with the fact that those who weren't old enough to remember the Genesis/SNES era are now becoming older and naturally the games they grew up with are much more recent than those who grew up with the series in the early 90's.

Edited by Akito

Not to mention it was the 10th anniversary of Sonic and a new wave of fans usually forms every every ten years or so.  I'm seeing more and more people lately say that Sonic Heroes or a later game was their first.  It has a lot to do with the fact that those who weren't old enough to remember the Genesis/SNES era are now becoming older and naturally the games they grew up with are much more recent than those who grew up with the series in the early 90's.

This is true. Those newer fans don't need to worry though - the first and second generations of fans increasingly are of age, and finding employment in SEGA. So we are likely to see lots of blends of 1990s and 2000s gameplay in future releases, due to these powerful influences. Will be interesting to see what being a Sonic fan means to newer generations, as I assume the games will be very, very different.

During the later half of primary school and continuing of unintentionally being an uncool teacher's pet, I'd occasionally hear something on the television in the very next room (it was a two rooms in one sort of deal, seperated by an arch). This would turn out to be the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, for the majority of my peers there were Sonic fans. Crazy as it is, with the exception of that one SA2B commercial (the Brown VS White one) I never really heard about Sonic all that much. So they'd talk about all the characters like "Sonic", and "Knuckles", and "Tails", and "Amy", and "Robontik" (that's not a typo, that's actually how the whole class said his name). Many a time they would reenact scenes from various games out in the playground - usually Sonic VS Knuckles in Adventure 1 - and ask me to join in with them. Problem was, because I knew little about the series, I had no idea what I was meant to do apart from say "Oh no" three times in a reserved manner.

But eventually the day came in which five of us were on the way home, and I looked over at a guy's Game Boy Advance, and he turned out to be playing Advance 1. More specifically, he was playing the X-Zone. Now perhaps it was because it looked similar to Crash Bandicoot in my eyes (him, Gex and Spyro were the games I grew up with in my childhood), but I immediately liked what I saw. And hello hello, who is that fat guy over there? Little did I know the effect he would have in my life.

So cut to early-mid 2003, and my family are at Toys R Us for... something. I don't know, I can't really remember. It was something my sisters were wanting anyway (by contrast, I was the one who was always too shy to say anything and would sound reluctant when asking for things), and lo and behold, there in the games aisle was Advance 2. I was lucky enough to get it, I read the manual so that I could understand who the characters were and how they work (and thus, I instantly learned about "Robotnik" and "Eggman" being one and the same, and never cared all that much about his name). Granted, I didn't realise at the time that it was the first Advance I saw on the guy's GBA, but it didn't matter since I was having too much fun (besides, by the time I realised my mistake, I already had the first one by then).

Then later on I saw something in a magazine about Mega Collection on the GameCube, and I figured that would be great since it means I'd get to play and respect the older games. So I got that, and then later the first Advance, then the first Adventure, and so on and so forth.

Around the same time when I got the first Advance, I was at my friend's house (I had previously told him about Sonic before that point) when he mentioned that he had managed to record an episode of "the Sonic cartoon". Despite it technically being the first thing I heard back in school, I had completely forgot that there was a cartoon (let alone eventually discovering that there was more than one). So we sat through an episode of AoStH (I think it was the one with that hypnotised austrailian), and we had a jolly good laugh.

Suffice to say, it just kept growing from there.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 3

I got into Sonic through my neighbor growing up. I'd go over to his house and we had all the games and the comics. I watched him play Sonic 3 & Knuckles one day (Which has gone on to be my favorite) and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Parents bought me a Genesis shortly after and I got hooked. 

Edited by WolfDood19

Back when I was 6 years old. Seaside Hights, NJ. My dad had a Sega Genisis and Sonic 2 was the only game he bought for it. He let me and my Brother play it while he went outside. 

O

M

G!

I fell in love. Ever since I've loved Sonic games.

I read a few posts and wow! What a charm this Sonic has, his games are first-sight addictive.

Well here's my story:

When I was about 4 years old, my brother used to turn over to the second channel (which was in English) when the time of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog comes, it was all in English with no subtitles that I didn't get a single word, but I still watched every time I could, I just sit and wait for Sonic to spin, and kick some bad guys' butts, even though this was about 15 years ago, earlier when I saw a few episodes I found myself remembering the tiniest details!

A year or two later, my father bought a magazine that has a CD included with every release, some CDs contained trial versions of games as advertisement, Sonic the Hedgehog was included, I loved to watch my brother play it, but after a few levels it suddenly stops, I ask my brother what happened? He says: "It's a trial version." And I'm like: "What does that mean?!"

It wasn't so long until I started getting some games like Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles Collection and Sonic 3D Blast. I don't remember when exactly had I played Sonic R, but I do remember that I easily unlocked Metal Sonic and raced against Metal Knuckles but didn't have a chance, of course I knew later that he takes the second place in speed after Super Sonic. I also unlocked Super Sonic but forgot to save it so when I found out that he's back to normal, I got bored and stopped playing it for long.

After that comes my experience with Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Heroes, I think at the age of 13 or 14, I collected 128/130 emblems all by myself.

Edited by Mysterious X

I already told my story, but I guess I can tell it again.

Started in 3rd grade, when a buddy of mine let me borrow Sonic Heroes.

I loved Tails back then.

Like most Sonic Fans, I eventually went on a Shadow streak.

I played Sonic Adventure 2 to get more of Shadow.

Then Played Sonic Adventure DX.

Basically, I grew up playing 3D Sonic Games (Sonic Adventure +)

Never really was much into the old school ones.

But when I first started playing Video Games, it was all 3D. I've hardly even touched side scrollers.

Not that I haven't played them. 

One of the biggest excitements in my Sonic Loving life was Sonic '06, and you know what? I love it to this very damn day.

Disregarding what everyone else says about it. 

I didn't really ever care much for the old Sonic Cartoons, I watched them all, though.

Loved Sonic X more than life itself.

So here I am today, waiting for "Sonic's Next Big Adventure", and hopefully a new Season of Sonic X. 

• Thumbs Up 2

[snipped to conserve space]

I swear I've read that story before... But it's interesting. And it's also awesome how all your classmates were Sonic fans :D

I've been meaning to post my story in here for some time now, but I'm finding it hard to explain it without sounding like a crazy person (it's a very bizarre story involving a YouTube video, some weirdness in my head, and AoStH).

So here I am today, waiting for "Sonic's Next Big Adventure", and hopefully a new Season of Sonic X. 

I don't think there will be any more seasons... It would be nice though.

I swear I've read that story before... But it's interesting. And it's also awesome how all your classmates were Sonic fans biggrin.png

I've been meaning to post my story in here for some time now, but I'm finding it hard to explain it without sounding like a crazy person (it's a very bizarre story involving a YouTube video, some weirdness in my head, and AoStH).

When I was a kid I was afraid of telling people how much I love Sonic so they wouldn't call me a kid. But as I grew up, and whenever I find enough time between periods, I started to draw Shadow's head and write "All hail Shadow!" on the board driving some of my classmates crazy.

And hey, go on and tell us your story, there's nothing wrong in sounding like a crazy person... I guess. Everyone has a story and it isn't necessarily crazy even if it involved a mere video, sometimes when a video is carefully and professionally made it gains much interest.

I grew up with an NES and by 2005-2006 was very much looking for something new so I somehow convinced my mother to buy me and my sister a PS2.

The one game I got to go with it was Sonic Mega Collection for PS2. At the time I didn't have the slightest clue what Sonic was and would have rather had pretty much any other game, but I played it because that was all that had been bought for me. Once we got other games I didn't really play it any after that.

I only really got into Sonic when I bought a MD in 2009 at a yard sale for 2$. The MD came with a few games and Sonic 2 was one of them.

I enjoyed the original games more once I was a bit older and could actually beat them.

So really it was around 2009 when I started to really get into Sonic.

Getting into Sonic that late was a little stange. I went from S3&K to Generations and I wished I could have seen my face when I played it on the 360 for the first time (it was my first 360 or HD game ever). I was truly amazed.

I was a little toddler who used to sit and watch my dad play the megadrive and the colours of sonic in particular was what caught my attention (I'm guessing :D) - When I was 3 years old, I started to play the games for myself and in turn was bought my own mega drive console. Ever since then I've been hooked on the franchise and grew up with both the mega drive and Game Gear consoles.

Can always remember my excitement when I knew I had another 3 sonic games to go through after completing the first one (I was 3 in 1995 :) )!!

Those were the days indeed!

Adding on to the "First Sonic Game on another system" thing, Adventure 2 Battle was the game that people bought for the Gamecube because it (and Melee) were basically about all there was on it with a lot of mainstream appeal for the first year or so (Luigi's Mansion was popular, but it was never the kind of thing that you bought because your friends had it). It was even the best selling game on the system not made by Nintendo by a good margin.

• Thumbs Up 1

i started watchingadventure's of sonic the hedgehog and playing sonic adventure one on dream cast and a freind asked to voice tails on his sonic animation and im a huge fan of sonic satam

Edited by owlfool
  • Thumbs Up 1

i started watchingadventure's of sonic the hedgehog and playing sonic adventure one on dream cast and a freind asked to voice tails on his sonic animation and im a huge fan of sonic satam

Hello owlfool. I've noticed you're a new member here, so I'm just giving a friendly reminder that we have a rule stating that you must abide by basic grammatical rules, which means proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization as it makes it easier to comprehend what you're saying and makes the forum that much more pleasureable. So shape up your future posts, eh? xP

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't really have much interest in the series until about 2008. I, like everyone else, had heard all about Sonic being in Brawl, but as I had never played any of his games (although I did have that LCD game with Shadow and Omega playing hockey), I was rather blase about the whole thing. Then, one day, I decided to look at the trophies I had collected. When I got to the Sonic characters, I read their descriptions and decided to learn more about the series. Shortly after, I was hooked!

Ah the first Sonic game I ever played and owned was Sonic 1 (the master System version) I owned a Master System before a Mega drive and was simply blow away with it. What really got me interested in the series was when i started getting the Fleetway series Sonic the comic. The first issue I got was issue 27 back in 94,I was only little back then and I fell in love the story, characters and artwork from this series. Then it wasn't long before I was asking for the games for birthdays and Christmas's before being able to buy them myself :] I could write a lot more XD but this is a quick version of my story.

i was really into mario and really never even heard of sonic until i went to a mcdonalds game station which had SA2. but after playing SA2 at mcdonalds i didn't know the name of the game i was playing or the character itself. Then my friend introduced me to emulators and was emulating sonic the hedgehog 3. Thats when i got hooked and i bought my first sonic game SA2 which was coincidentally the game i played at Mcdonalds. thats when i made Sonic my favorite video game mascot ever.