Awoo.

Dark Souls 2: "Let DLC be granted so the money might be extended..."

Badnik Mechanic

The whole bullshots and footage thing is kind of getting out of hand, huh? I wonder if even the PC version will have those effects back in, I kind of doubt it. Though, I'll be honest, I'm not too bothered about it considering Dark Souls II is still a fun game. It's not great that the game looks worse than what they were showing off before, but it's not a Colonial Marines scenario; not even close. This is just the typical crap that comes with development these days (kind of sad when I put it that way).

Yeah, this is definitely a case of From removing most of the dynamic lighting at the last second and not having the time to replace the resulting visuals with a reasonable substitute.

It must not have run properly on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Is it safe to assume that what they were showing and demoing beforehand was running on PC hardware, then? If the console version was rushed, it would make sense why there's no replacement effect.

There was the fairly recent PS3 beta, but considering it only had certain content portions, it probably ran a lot faster than the full game.

Considering the retail version on 360 runs at 30 FPS but with horrible screen tearing and the PS3 version has FPS dips but lacks the tearing...

PC is the base platform for this game with the console versions being ports, right?

I would assume the console versions have never been much better than what we have now. So, in order to get more of those graphically inferior versions sold, From/Bamco have delayed the PC release to cash in on all those impatient gamers (and to probably fill some contractual quota).

I would assume the console versions have never been much better than what we have now.

You would be wrong because many of the downgraded effects were present in the PS3 builds at demo events and even during the beta.

So, in order to get more of those graphically inferior versions sold, From/Bamco have delayed the PC release to cash in on all those impatient gamers (and to probably fill some contractual quota).

PC sales are irrelevant here, Bamco would've made the most of their cash from the PS3 version no matter when the Steam ver. released. But we'll see how it turns out after this downgrade bullshit and the fact the new systems are out already.

This feels more of a Definitive Edition case with a PS4/Xbone port coming later that will tout awesome "graphical improvements"  for people to doubledip.

It's an effort to get people to Double Dip regardless of what happens, I think. A good number of people double dipped on the original when the only other option was PC.

So I've found a couple of spare hours to start Dark Souls II on PS3.  So far, I've managed to get past the first boss.  Here are my thoughts so far.

* The graphical issues aren't a dealbreaker unless you've been spoiled by your high-end graphics card, but the textures are a bit blotchy.  The lighting is fine though; there are dynamic shadows, god rays and other lighting effects and the vistas are still gorgeous.

* The framerate is a bit rought, but then a solid 60 framerate has always been to From Software what release dates are to Valve.  So far I haven't encountered anything that's fallen below Blighttown levels.

* Now that that's out of the way, this is a Dark Souls game, no mistaking it.  No hand holding, no forgiveness, lots of jolly cooperation and one damn praisable sun.

* The new health system is brilliant, it elegantly brings together Dark Souls and Demon's Souls' respective approaches, but creates a lot more mental anguish.  You can't simply drink Estus every time your health gets low, you have to decide whether to use Estus, which heals you quickly and is renewable but you can only carry a finite amount at a time, or Lifegems, which you can carry more of but are more difficult to get ahold of and heal you very slowly.  It's very situational and requires careful thought.

* My only major complaint is that the tutorial is very shallow and slow.  It only gives a cursory glance at the controls and combat and doesn't really have a climactic transition into the game proper like the Asylum Demon or the Vanguard.  So far the game actually seems a lot less accessible than DS, which is strange considering the director explicitly said a major goal in DSII was to not alienate newcomers.

* I like the characters in this game.  Many of the NPCs in Dark Souls fell short of the personality of those in Demon's, but the folks in the hub area and the shop keepers have more interesting things to say.

Your order has been dispatched

Praise the mailman...

Still looking forward to it, but can't deny that because they hyped up the graphics so much, there will be some disappointment.

Miyazaki's absence is felt in small but frequent ways. There's now a double ended sword class of weapon. If you manage to tangle the camera, the emerald herald's other eye is a different color.

Even though curse and petrification are now two different status ailments, they tend to come together, even if it doesn't really make sense in context. Basilisk frogs in a forest? Why not, right?

They didn't actually make the game any more accessible. Twice now I've been offered to join a covenant and not been given the foggiest hint as to what the covenant will actually do. Stats got even more complicated and the rarity of reinforcing materials has made upgrading a harrowing process. Now there's an ability to respec, but that's probably not going to help the sort of people who end up needing to respec because there's not that much info telling you what you're going to want to respec to because they still don't have anyone who jus tells you that you should probably specialize. They also don't tell you anything about the new dual wielding stance. The swordsman starts out dual wielding but doesn't have the stats for the stance. Don't pick swordsman, by the way, horrible stats for a melee combatant.

I don't think it was such a great idea to make so many types of damage. The old slash type is gone, now normal is called slash, but now there's also dark damage. I kinda think dark damage undermines dark magic was really ment to be.

A lot of the visual downgrades probably have a lot to do with a change of heart regarding the use of torches. Prior to release there were going to be many areas that were pitch black, and the character was no longer going to be a light source. I guess they realized that tomb of the giants the game wouldn't have been so great but they changed their mind too late so the final game makes a big deal about torches well before you'll ever need one and as a result the game is littered with smaller spots to light that there's no reason to actually bother with. Trying to fight with effectively a one handed character would have been a major pain as well. For some reason I felt for a long time like not getting hit is much harder in this game. I don't know if I made the adjustment or just for enough points into adaptability. Somehow they actually made the backstop useful, though.

Early on I wasn't digging it but it's picking up for me. Your character starts pretty weak in this game for some reason. I think a lot of the problem I was having is that a lot of the early bosses I was running into were hard and uninteresting, like

Here are my leet story spoilers: get four important souls. So far the weakest of the three. The theme of demons souls was good and evil and greed and clashing principles blurring the lines, dark souls was about human nature, dark souls 2 so far seems to be themed around the circle of life.

ok there's actually some pretty neat stuff, like the race if giants wholely unrelated to the giants from the first game that have been and gone since then, that's how long it's been that most of dark souls 1 is lost to the ages. All except for ornstien, for some reason.

Talismans are now... Chimes? Strange choice, waving a bell to make miracles happen. Kind of... weak I guess. I always saw the talisman as being a symbol of something you believed in to focus on for performing miracles, now you're waving bells. I don't think musical talet is a stat.

But I can't stop playing it.

Oh my goodness....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayr-spKR0Sk

I've been super curious since I got pretty obsessed with both Demon's and Dark Souls just last summer for my first time and whatnot.

Kinda aware of the technically issues the PS3/360 versions are having recently, but is the nextgen versions up to snuff or are they having issues too? And tech junks aside, if there's anyone here that's played a good chunk or has beaten it now, how does it compare to the first Dark Souls?

'Cause like everything I've seen from the pre-release stuff seemed like just more Dark Souls 1 with a few tweaks here and there, which is totally fine by me. I just wondered if it's actually like that, and if the environments and loot and enemies/bosses are even grander this round.

Been thinking about holding off until I get a PS4, but tempted to get the PC version when it comes out so iunno

I've been super curious since I got pretty obsessed with both Demon's and Dark Souls just last summer for my first time and whatnot.

Kinda aware of the technically issues the PS3/360 versions are having recently, but is the nextgen versions up to snuff or are they having issues too? And tech junks aside, if there's anyone here that's played a good chunk or has beaten it now, how does it compare to the first Dark Souls?

The "next gen" version isn't out yet. As far as I know, it hasn't even been confirmed to exist.

'Cause like everything I've seen from the pre-release stuff seemed like just more Dark Souls 1 with a few tweaks here and there, which is totally fine by me. I just wondered if it's actually like that, and if the environments and loot and enemies/bosses are even grander this round.

Been thinking about holding off until I get a PS4, but tempted to get the PC version when it comes out so iunno

Ahhh, there are no nextgen versions! So probably don't hold off until you get a PS4.

It's really good, i think. I'm playing through at the same time as a friend and we both like it. I've not reached too far in but everything so far has been pretty good. I don't really get people comparing this negatively towards dark souls- the only thing better really is that DkS1 felt a lot fresher at the time.

Some of the boss fights so far feel a bit by the numbers, but that's probably because I played so much of the original and Demons in the lead up to this. Also, the layout of the world is kind of bizarre and disorientating. It lacks the connected feel of dark souls, but isn't exactly like the hub from demons either. 

Gameplay wise I think it's fantastic. I'm having a lot of fun playing it, and IMO that's what's important. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, I honestly thought that it just released along side PS3/360 on PS4/One but guess not haha. I'll probably nab it sometime soon then, was just under the impression it was in that weird spot of "hey this is a game between consoles lawl."

Oh wow, I honestly thought that it just released along side PS3/360 on PS4/One but guess not haha. I'll probably nab it sometime soon then, was just under the impression it was in that weird spot of "hey this is a game between consoles lawl."

I think it might eventually make it to next-gen tbh, but From Software haven't said shit about it, so who knows.

It probably would have been better if they devv'd for PS4/Bone to begin with. But the game as it is is still very, very good.

I want to try dual wielding but I can't handle the stamina drain :< I keep changing between weapons, there's a lot I really like, but not so much as to stop trying out others. 

I've heard that this engine was designed with next gen in mind so I wouldn't be surprised if a next gen version happens eventually.  Either way the PC version is out the 25th of next month, based on demo footage from a while back I expect that version to be a major upgrade.  

I think it might eventually make it to next-gen tbh, but From Software haven't said shit about it, so who knows.

It probably would have been better if they devv'd for PS4/Bone to begin with. But the game as it is is still very, very good.

I want to try dual wielding but I can't handle the stamina drain :< I keep changing between weapons, there's a lot I really like, but not so much as to stop trying out others.

Each L1 swing while dual wielding hits twice.  It's a very similar stamina to damage ratio but does it twice as fast.  You're eventually going to need to upgrade something, unupgraded weapons just don't cut it after a while.  

Compared to dark souls 1, a lot of stuff doesn't seem as well integrated into the world of the game.  Drops aren't all tied to what the creature would have had on them, I once killed a spider and got a zweihander, for example.  The world isn't as well "placed" as the first game, there's nothing like being able to see Izalith from the Tomb of the Giants, for example.  One fairly major area is completely cut off from other areas, accessible only via a cutscene.  The pyromancy flames is just in a chest.  

That last one is a big deal to me, or rather, represents a big deal.  The world of Dark Souls 2 seems much less "weighty", for lack of a better term.  Perhaps a better example of what I'm on about, here's the description of the spell "Pursuers" from Dark Souls (Spoiler for the DLC):

Sorcery of Manus, Father of the Abyss.

Grant a fleeting will to the Dark of humanity, and volley the result.

The will feels envy, or perhaps love, and despite the inevitably trite and tragic ending,

the will sees no alternative, and is driven madly toward its target.

Versus its equivalent hex really? "hex"? from Dark Souls 2:

An advanced hex based on an ancient sorcery.

Creates a dark mass that seems to pursue

its target with a will of its own.

It appears to be a manifestation of an emotion.

Perhaps of hate, perhaps of love.

Oh my goodness....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayr-spKR0Sk

That covenant is the dumbest thing, it doesn't inconvenience the person being summoned save wasting their time.  You can beat the host of the world for a pharros lock stone but unless you join it you don't need more than you can find on your own.  After he died in that guy's world he went right back to where he was prior to being summoned.  The only reason that worked is that covenant is not explained at all prior to joining it, wearing the white ring wasn't needed at all.  

Speaking of which, I have no idea why people in this game bother with PvP at all, latency is a major problem.  It's kinda funny really, people will just stand in place for a while and then shoot off to wherever they should actually be.  If the world owner and phantom have a bad connection, the phantom can often fight enemies with relative impunity.  Far cry from Demon's Souls, which actually had really good behavior.  Maybe it's to do with server load, we'll see.  

Ok, so now I've finished the game.

After I learned that the ring of life protection can be repaired after it breaks, I spent a big chunk of the game wearing it. Human effigies are just too rare and being a phantom in co op no longer returns you to human... Usually. Once in a while it does but apparent it's a bug. Repairing it was one bonfire round trip away, so I wasn't giving up a heck of a lot. I'm also really tired of the hollow form from playing the first dark souls.

I feel like there are a lot more spots where the difficulty comes from less savory sources, shall we say. For some reason, falling off of high places seems to be a much more common cause of death, and then there are more enemies with such absurd attacks, such as the cyclops hippo things and their vacuum fingers. Their grab attack is basically an instant kill and it's effective range extends well beyond where it looks like it does. This is kind of a common theme for unblock able moves, really.

I wouldn't characterize it as a bad game, just not up to par for the series, but it does have some really good bits, such as when you return to the forest of fallen giants with new purpose.

the story really is barely there in this game. In the first one it really felt as though people weren't giving you the whole story, but here they aren't really giving you anything at all. All I know about the emerald herald is that she has something to do with dragons and all I know about the final boss is that she was the queen and she kind of set the plot in motion when she got vendrick to take something from the giants. The ending mentions linking the fire and then my character sits on a throne hewn from rock in a small dome underground. "Without even really knowing why" is a bit of a catchphrase in this game for some reason, and that really kind of sums up the story as I know it.

It was a long haul, but I finally finished the game.  I'm pretty much in the same boat as Phos; it's a solid title- probably my favorite since DS1, but it still lacks the... magic of its predecessors.  The story was minimal in Demon's and Dark, but there was enough to give you a sense of higher purpose.  The old women and the Emerald Herald seemed to be the only source of direction in the game, and all of them were really vague; at least Dark Souls gave you the courtesy of telling you that you need to find two bells before you wander off in random directions.  The game structure felt more like Demon's Souls, with several long paths branching from a central point rather than a labyrinthine network.  I don't think it served the game well in my opinion; Dark Souls had an amazing sense of place- real of cohesiveness going from one environment to another.  Since you had the ability to teleport between bonfires from the very beginning, there wasn't much of a need to set that up, so some transitions feel jarring, like going from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep.

Another thing that sort of bothered me was the less interesting character design.  There were a lot of recycled ideas like gargoyles and a topless woman with an arachnid for abdomen- not to mention the boss of Iron Keep could not be more of a stereotypical lava level boss.  There's nothing that would keep me up at night like the man centipedes from Tower of Latria or elicit a subtle melancholy like the Undead Dragon from the Valley of Drakes.  Well, except maybe the giants.

And while I'm still on board with the new health system, it does need some major reworking.  Effigies were so rare that I eventually accepted the half-health bar as my default and the full-health bar as a bonus.  And causing enemies to disappear after several kills felt like a really inelegant solution; it seemed more like a concession than an intuitive part of the system.  During particularly hard points it felt like the game was taking pity on me, and that is not something I want from Dark Souls.

Before I start to sound too cynical, rest assured that it's a great goddamn game.  Most of these thoughts are nitpicks that I only have because I hold the franchise in such high esteem and believe me, it is a worthy part of it.  It has some the most interesting boss battles in the series and it can really elicit powerful tension.  Never has such a slow-paced game made my heart race so much.  The scenery is beautiful and there is certainly deeper meaning within the story, even if it's not as pronounced as Dark Souls'.

I've not had chance to play much of this yet... not even had chance to bung a video of the CE up but... yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ysp7Zy7_I

I was shocked when this turned up, I was not expecting it to be that big. I thought it was going to be something along the lines of the Duke Nukem Forever collectors edition, or maybe the Bayonetta 2 CE, was certainly not expecting something of that size!

The statue is quite nice, the base feels a bit cheap, and the statue is made from some kind of low grade plastic, but there is still quite a bit of detail on it and the paint job is passable at least.

And Wolfy was asking, I do show the manual in that video, does anything like that come in the standard editions? 

Nah there was literally only the case when I opened up my new standard one. Like I said in the statuses, I wasn't really sure if it was supposed to have one, but I still get a chuckle every time I open it since no manual to Dark Souls, the game known for not holding your hand whatsoever, is pretty lulz.

But yeah got the game like a week or so ago and I'm really digging it. It feels like just more Dark Souls with a few new shiny twists and improvements. Not sure if it's just because I learned the last game's map like the back of my hand, but Souls 2's map seems a little harder to get a feel for, but maybe it'll seem more like the first game to me once I'm further in *shrugs*.

Currently just beat the Dragonrider, but I noticed I've taken like every hard turn on the way over here so I've been going at a slow pace. Like I beat the Pursuer on accident first directly after the Last Giant, and happen to try the Old Dragon Slayer first before the noticably more easy Dragonrider haha.

My set up has pretty much been dual +5 Cestuses and constantly on the look for bigger titanite rocks. My armor is the Drangelic set with the falconer helm since I can't seem to really find anything yet (the enormous feather on it bugs this shit out of me lawl). I really love fist weapons in any game available but they were a pain in the last game. Though this game with the new power stance and all, it's be incredibly useful

I wanna say the Heide iron mask is in the cathedral of blue iirc. It's a pretty good helmet. You can get the armor guy in Manila to sell more stuff by buying stuff from him.

I wore the ring of life protection basically the whole game. It breaks when you die but you can travel to majula and get it fixed for 3000 souls. Basically turns it into a super ring of binding if you're wiling to wait, and saves effigies.

Someone joked about a PS4/Xbox 1 release similar to the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition which is actually kind of scary. Pull back graphics/downgrade on current platforms (including PC) and then release the game later with the upgraded graphics to get more money.