Awoo.

Dark Souls 2: "Let DLC be granted so the money might be extended..."

Badnik Mechanic

So PC players who felt burned by the laziness of the first game's port are in for a pleasant surprise.

PC is the game's lead platform this time, so it's not going to be a shoddy port. 60 fps was confirmed for PC, and the console version should have a solid 30 fps that doesn't drop. 

Also yes, that box art is painfully bland and generic. 

Switching to a new engine and leading on PC all but confirms there will be a PS4/720 Prepare to Doubledip edition in the future.

I'm going to fall for it, aren't I?

And that flaming chariot of death... Oh my... Just... at least take a look at this gif...

Fuck.

I am so going to fall for it.

but why is the text not properly centered /OCD

Switching to a new engine and leading on PC all but confirms there will be a PS4/720 Prepare to Doubledip edition in the future.

According to the Gamekult Q&A in the link I provided, there aren't any plans on bringing it to future consoles right now. 

According to the Gamekult Q&A in the link I provided, there aren't any plans on bringing it to future consoles right now. 

Exactly. They want people to buy now, not wait.

Hence the doubledip when they put up a next gen version + expansion. Dat Namco Bandai.

Edited by Dobkeratops

I can think of a million Dark Souls scenarios that would look excellent on the box art. This is just...ugh.

Exactly. They want people to buy now, not wait.

Hence the doubledip when they put up a next gen version + expansion. Dat Namco Bandai.

Considering they said "for the moment, we do not believe in a port of Dark Souls II or in any other capacity on future machines" I'm just taking the quote at face value. I'm not saying they won't do it, because hey, never say never, but if they wanted people to buy it now just so they could release it later, that would technically be lying.

So it definitely could happen, but if they're being honest, they're not planning on it at all.

In other news, Dark Souls II's director acknowledged that the original game's PC port was "half-assed."

A fan petition successfully convinced publisher Namco Bandai and developer From Software to bring Dark Souls to PC. Unfortunately, the final product wasn't particularly polished, with From admitting they were having a "tough time" making the transition from console to PC development. The end result was a direct port that required user-created mods to live up to PC standards.

"A lot of it was not very well done, sort of half-assed," Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura told Shacknews via translator (Tak Miyazoe), while promising a much better experience for the sequel.

"Yes, we will definitely put more priority on the PC. Last time, we started working on PC after the console version was complete," Tanimura explained. "This time, because we are considering the PC from the beginning, you can be sure there will be more care put into PC development."

Whereas the PC version of Dark Souls came out months after the console versions, Dark Souls 2 will launch simultaneously on all platforms. The hands-off demo of Dark Souls 2 that we saw was also running on PC hardware, as well.

This should come as good news to PC fans of the franchise disappointed by the lackluster port of the first game. That release sold "over 300,000 downloads on PC," according to Namco Bandai VP Carlson Choi. Figures like those likely made it incredibly easy for Namco to consider

Source.

Edited by Solly

Generic pose aside, I feel like the box art would actually work if the title and Namco Bandai logo were in black and white too.  As it stands, they just ruin the composition.

• 1 month later...

The following has been spotted on the side of the LA convention centre (where E3 is).

ds2hjfq9.jpg

March 2014? Wow, thats... a really long way off... I thought this would be a Novemebr 2013 release for sure? Wonder if this means we'll see a PS4 Xbox One version?

The following has been spotted on the side of the LA convention centre (where E3 is).

ds2hjfq9.jpg

March 2014? Wow, thats... a really long way off... I thought this would be a Novemebr 2013 release for sure? Wonder if this means we'll see a PS4 Xbox One version?

With all the hype being towards those two consoles this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they announced that during E3.

• 2 months later...

Lots of new footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LutF-ZxEg

It's in Japanese, but one of the more interesting bits comes at the 7 min mark, multiplayer footage.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like you can now vote on hints directly without having to select an item first.  So that's nice.

Huh? In DeS and DS the menu comes up when you hit select =).

Huh? In DeS and DS the menu comes up when you hit select =).

In Dark Souls, you need to use the orange soapstone.

Edited by Stingray 64

Dark Souls 2 isn't due until March 2014. But you'll be able to get an early hands-on with the game with a new beta coming to PS3 this fall.

The beta will "delve into one of the most treacherous areas of the Dark Souls 2 world," giving players a chance to "explore an entirely new area of the game" and "experience overwhelming enemy encounters, diabolical challenges" and potential hard-crashes and software bugs. It is a beta after all.

The closed beta will begin on October 5. However, if you want to get in, Namco Bandai recommends following the official Dark Souls Facebook page. Apparently, "continual news and updates" regarding the registration process will be available there beginning September 5.

To get spoiled or not to get spoiled. Hm.

I hope signups aren't done thru facebook because I'd rather solo 3 maneaters at level 1 on blighttown than register there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DARK SOULS 2 lands March 11th in the US and 14th in Europe! Collectors edition to boot!

Pretty damn excited, seeing as I've been on a huuuuuge Dark Souls binge this past month

EDIT: I guess IGN has some hands-on as well *goes to watch*

The various collectors editions are now up for pre-order.

Prices are, kinda reasonable too. The standard edition is the 'black armor edition' which is £34.79 and it comes with the OST and a cool looking steelbook case.

81rjJV%2BQCZL._SL1280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-Black-Armour-Edition/dp/B00FB4ZWKI/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1379692662&sr=8-15&keywords=dark+souls+2

The 'Collectors edition' is priced at around £62.Comes with an alternative steelbook cover and the OST as well as all the other extras.

91aKAOHIYYL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-Collector-Edition-PS3/dp/B00F96ELSM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1379693059&sr=8-4&keywords=dark+souls+2+collectors+edition

Just put my pre-order down now =p

• 3 months later...

Here's a preview I've scanned up from the new issue of OXM UK.

r37Wl0n.jpg

P9uH9T0.jpg

• 1 month later...

First reviews are in.

Famitsu: 

Dark Souls II (PS3) – 9/10/9/9 [37/40]
Dark Souls II (360) – 9/10/9/9 [37/40]

M!Games: 90%: (translated review on GAF)

However... theres a lot of concern over at GAF right now, mainly that the game has suffered a terrible downgrabe and is not as good as the media are claiming.

Some people have the game early and have been streaming it and the impressions are not that great. 

E.g. Here is a gif of the looking glass knight boss...

ku-xlarge.gif

Here is what it looks like final.

WEs2LOt.png

Here is a shot of the dragon bridge sequence from the old E3 trailer. 

ds07_zpsdefe8849.jpg

Vs this shot taken from a direct stream of the game.

ddfO92R.jpg