Awoo.

Dark Souls 2: "Let DLC be granted so the money might be extended..."

Badnik Mechanic

Some news on the game.

It seems that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki is only supervising this time, handing over the reigns to Tomohiro Shibuya. Furthermore, the classic multiplayer dynamic is going to be tweaked as well.

Uh. I hope for their own sake they're not casualizing it too much. Souls is still a very niche franchise that's appreciated by its unique approaches to several videogame concepts (subtle optional story, zero handholding, challenging encounters, tons of bullshit design) and losing that to chase the fickle mass market could cost them their fanbase. If we wanted Skyrim we'd get Skyrim.

I also hope Miyazaki isn't handling the game because he's busy developing Demon's Souls 2 for PS4 launch :3

Edited by Dobkeratops

I'm not too doubtful over the game possibly being on the Wii U considering Bamco and Ninty are pretty much third party BFFs these days. With TTT2 getting that super extra treatment and additional development on Smash Bros 4, they definitely have some close ties.

That and Miiverse integration + Dark Souls = all my money.

Meh. Never got into DS series, but if Namco will give the same attention is giving to this franchise to things like the Xenosaga HD Collection or the localisation of the Tales of series i will appreciate that.

Meh. Never got into DS series, but if Namco will give the same attention is giving to this franchise to things like the Xenosaga HD Collection or the localisation of the Tales of series i will appreciate that.

Isn't the "main" Tales of line getting constant localizations now, anyways? A year or two after JPN launches, but that's what happens when you start bringing them late.

That and Miiverse integration + Dark Souls = all my money.

What would Miiverse provide that an imageboard/wiki/forum/any online community cannot do better? Other than having 80% of the content not go through due to heavy moderation, of course.

Isn't the "main" Tales of line getting constant localizations now, anyways? A year or two after JPN launches, but that's what happens when you start bringing them late.

PS3 version of Vesperia says hi.

We are lucky to have got Graces, Xillia and maybe Xillia 2, while Innocence and Hearts porting that could make PSVita interesting are still japan-only. I sense great logic here, but i digress since that's not the realted topic.

Yeah, I was talking from Graces onwards. Release for Xillia 2 looks extremely likely, but they're obviously not going to talk about the sequel when the first hasn't released yet. Doubtful that the remakes will also stay in Japan only, though it is Namco after all...

Definitely a shame there's no WiiU version, mostly because it's almost laughworthy that despite the evenness in power we're still seeing games on every system but the Nintendo system (it's Gen6 all over again), I'm both surprised and not surprised.

Honestly it's probably because the WiiU's demographic doesn't (yet) match this game's image, or because porting is a pain, orr because Nintendo just aren't pushing for third party support nearly as much as they should be doing.

Either way tbh Mario Galaxy 2 was amazing despite not really being necessary, so unless this is just a cash in (which I doubt?) there's no reason this can't be good or better than the first Dark Souls.

What would Miiverse provide that an imageboard/wiki/forum/any online community cannot do better? Other than having 80% of the content not go through due to heavy moderation, of course.

It's not necessarily about doing better, it's about having it all done on the fly. Miiverse as a community was specifically designed for these kind of purposes and it's already been done really well in games like NSMBU where there are specific spots for being able to write community messages. With an active and varied community these things work really well.

Also the glorification you're putting forth for Miiverse's moderation proves to me that you've never used it.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not necessarily about doing better, it's about having it all done on the fly. Miiverse as a community was specifically designed for these kind of purposes and it's already been done really well in games like NSMBU where there are specific spots for being able to write community messages. With an active and varied community these things work really well.

Also the glorification you're putting forth for Miiverse's moderation proves to me that you've never used it.

I don't have to use it to know most of the funny memes and image responses that fans made wouldn't make the cut because they're offensive in one way or another, that the wikis will be a million times more comprehensive for help or that there will be a bigger, more active, more varied community in gaming forums to talk about the game.

Biased against social network facebook interactivity crap, though. If you like having all of it in one place at the cost of being watered down, that's up to you.

Edited by Dobkeratops

jbuL8FFasr59Ei.jpg

An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?

There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?

As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.

"Dark Souls II will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

... ... please don't ruin this series for me.

That issue of edge should be hitting stores on December 20th.

I swear to god if making it more accessible means letting Player #2 not look like a moron, I'm not even interested in this anymore. Really hoping they don't goof this up.

Rpnlc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

I never played the DS games, but I plan on getting Dark Souls for Christmas. After looking into it, I'm shocked it didn't catch my interest before. The challenge and focus on big boss fights seem right up my alley.

I'll have to play it myself before judging how the difficulty enhances the experience. I don't mind the idea of making a brutal series more accessible, but they'd better not alienate the fans that love the insane challenge.

And if they make tweaks to the multiplayer, it would probably be a nice addition to be able to play with your friends at will.

Thats what I thought, though it's set on a totally different world so I can't see how, unless this is that world?

Edge Magazine details. Not in spoilers because they don't spoil anything regarding the story or major details.

Edge Magazine has a blow out on Dark Souls 2 this month, and the details are out. Brace yourselves for the horror and anticipation of a brand new journey.

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

- Miyazaki is not working on the development of Dark Souls 2. He is not a director or producer, and is merely a "supervisor".

- Even as a supervisor, he isn't making any development decisions. He only tried to reinforce the team's commitment to releasing things on time, because of the bad experience they had with the patches in Dark Souls, and he also recommended the return to server-based gameplay ala Demon's Souls.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- Miyazaki is working full time on directing a new game. He will not disclose if it is a new IP or a sequel to something else.

- Darks Souls 2 will be a direct sequel, and have an open world of about the same size, but more dense with content.

- It does not take place on Lordran. The name of the world is the key of the story, they will reveal it at a later date.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

- Development started in September last year, and was done in parallel with some of the Dark Souls patches and DLC content.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

- They showed a fat grotesque creature, which Shibuya said was the result of the fusing of different creatures by a mad scientist character in the game, like Frankenstein.

- Another new enemy is a Nazgul-like black rider, who apparently serves as an executioner of evil doers. Shibuya confirms there is some sort of morality system in the game.

- They are also exploring vehicles for the game, and the potential of players controlling them. By vehicles, think things like chariots and boats instead of cars.

Source: Neogaf

More details from a random Gamefaqs user.

-This the article source for the infamous "we want the skyrim audience" quote. To be perfectly clear, even though this was already known, this quote is from the writers of the article and not From Software.

-Huge leap in graphical quality. The game is compared to Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313. Dynamic lighting and smoother animations all around.

-Hidetake Miyazaki, the director for Dark/Demon's souls, will not be directing the game and will only be lightly involved in the production. To be perfectly honest it basically seems like his name is there to be there- his involvement is mostly about getting the project started and occasionally checking in on it.

-The unknown nature of the games came from Miyazaki's interest in western fantasy/mythology and his relative inability to read the English text as a child, leaving him to fill in the blanks.

-Miyazaki was disappointed about having to patch Dark Souls, saying that they pushed the game out without being 100% complete. Dark Souls II will be complete when it launches.

-Server based PVP is back (yay!)

-The information about the directors for the game is worrying. Information is unclear whether or not Miyazaki willingly stepped down from the director's chair. Namco calls is a "company decision" and has this disturbing anecdote to share:

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

-Miyazaki is working on a new game he can't talk about.

-Miyazaki is disappointed he doesn't have a greater role in Dark Souls II

-The Graphics are shockingly close to the trailer's quality

-According to Shibuya, one of the co-directors, the player's ability to parse meaning from subtle hints or clues will determine the difficulty of the game and the challenges that are there to experience.

-The map is roughly the same size, but has more content and more "areas of interest".

-The notion that Dark Souls needs to evolve was "common". Edge says not to expect a minor update.

-In designing map areas, the main concept was to create areas that had not been in either game.

-Talks of implementing a system that will let you reveal the clues you've learned over the course of the game (wut?)

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

Details from another user.

-Dynamic lighting
-huge graphical leap ready for next gen
-They says it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313
-Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
-Miyazaki says he regrets sending Dark Souls out ahead of time, won't happen for Dark Souls 2
-The decision was made by From Soft and Namco for him to step aside.
-The reason given is for the I.P to evolve it needs fresh blood
-He is working on something else but wouldn't say what
-New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
-Story will be more clear
-In development for 2 months since nov 2011
-bigger team working on the game
-morality system

So to summerise.

* been in developmenty for 2 months.

* Morality system.

* Dark Souls 1 was rushed as many thought.

* Looks to be on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 2013.

* May have vehicles.

I hope the servers means we won't have to go from "online that doesn't work" to "online that shoddily works sometimes" via patches.Shoddy online right out of the box, thx in advance Namco.

Sounds like the game will get released on next gen platforms too, so I'll pick it up on PS4 that being the case.

Aaaaand, as called in this very thread, Miyazaki IS working on another game! Boletaria pls

• 3 months later...

uvpXlLb.png

12 min long? Praise the sun....

i8SY9uCTXv49n.gif

And this is why Dark Souls is the best...

• Thumbs Up 1

The 12 min long Dark Souls 2 gameplay video is now live. No YouTube vid... yet.

And we have a 10 min long Q&A video too.

Just got it going now... oh boy oh boy!

Edit: Mansion of the Dragons... Holy fucking shit!

Edit 2: Oh my god... you guys are not gonna believe the end of the trailer... Dragons... so many dragons...

Things confirmed

White fog is gone.

Enemies can now break through walls and hunt you down

Quick bow.

You can move with the bow and arrows.

An item called 'the magic stone' can be used to change the environment, this is an optional item.

Enemies can 1 shot you, but you can deflect these attacks/not aggro these enemies.

Mansion of the Dragons is awesome.

can now use torches to light areas.

Esthers Flask is back in the game as well as new healing system.

Dragons are a key story element.

+more in the Q&A video

Not sure if I should watch. Getting ambushed by unexpected dudes with fossilized horse penises is part of the fun, I'm sure this video spoils some moments.

PS4 version for launch title @ E3 pls.

Oh cripes that looks amazing. I just started playing the first one again recently and I'm craving the sequel like a fly craves poo.

Not sure if I should watch. Getting ambushed by unexpected dudes with fossilized horse penises is part of the fun, I'm sure this video spoils some moments.

Theres only one 'ambush' moment... and you... you need to see it,

Or if you really don't. When he says "Mansion of the Dragons" skip ahead to the 7min mark and you'll miss it. But it's so worth it.

And that flaming chariot of death... Oh my... Just... at least take a look at this gif...

ibzNEuKYvUrYCC.gif

Oh heck! IGN Spain just posted a new game trailer too! (Click the link then wait for around 5-10 min, it will load up).

Edit: New screenshots are slowly leaking out too.

119272.jpg

I fucking died laughing when that enemy threw the giant axe at your head.

All in all, this is shaping up really well; it definitely has the same ambiance and feel as DS1 with greater definition in everything, from graphics to enemy behavior.  The only thing that I'm not really liking, even if this is a bit nitpicky, is that everything is way too orange.  Dark Souls found a way to make even its bleakest environments feel colorful and unique, but between the new trailer and the first look, everything felt a bit... uniform here.

Box art revealed.

DARKS2_PC_PFT_Front1-e1365704062579.jpg

And a couple of people pointed out how if you replaced the sword with a gun it would look almsot like every single FPS box art ever made... so someone then made this....

LVAFdiC.jpg