Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PSI Wind

The final boss in Twilight Princess was easy as hell, though. Just use the contextual sword clash or make Ganondorf derp out with the fishing rod.

I hardly remember the TP boss, but I do miss being able to troll Ganondorf with my bottle in OOT.

I thought you could do that in TP against Puppet Zelda though.

I thought you could do that in TP against Puppet Zelda though.

You can, along with Phantom Ganon in Wind Waker and Arhigram in A Link To The Past (Though this time, it's the bug net)

I had no problem with Twilight Princess' last boss. ALONE it would have been lame, but I kind of consider it to be a 4-parter boss from the battle against Zelda so the whole package was brilliant. In fact my only real dislike was that the arena was so boring (using the same barriers from all the other fights in Hyrule Castle... meh). It played great, but it could have been more dramatic looking.

What did you guys expect? They have been announcing that the motion controls were going to be the alternative to "mashing A" and you were fine with that until now. I for one love everything about the game. Once you get the hang of the motion controls everything is a breeze. I extremely like the fact that I'm constantly doing something rather than trying to figure out where to go next or "wtf game is over already?" type of feeling. I more particularly like the timeline setting the story takes place. Brings a lot to the games perspective. If I were to criticize something it would be the grossly expensive merchant. I HATE YOU BEEDLE!

What did you guys expect? They have been announcing that the motion controls were going to be the alternative to "mashing A" and you were fine with that until now. I for one love everything about the game. Once you get the hang of the motion controls everything is a breeze. I extremely like the fact that I'm constantly doing something rather than trying to figure out where to go next or "wtf game is over already?" type of feeling. I more particularly like the timeline setting the story takes place. Brings a lot to the games perspective. If I were to criticize something it would be the grossly expensive merchant. I HATE YOU BEEDLE!

Edited by canderson

What did you guys expect? They have been announcing that the motion controls were going to be the alternative to "mashing A" and you were fine with that until now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely love this game. I couldn't really get into Zelda OOT, but I got hooked on this instantly.

Is there a way I can change my name? I set it to my real name, but now I want to change it to "Link", as it should be :)

I absolutely love this game. I couldn't really get into Zelda OOT, but I got hooked on this instantly.

Is there a way I can change my name? I set it to my real name, but now I want to change it to "Link", as it should be smile.png

There never has been before and I didn't see any option to I'm afraid.

• Thumbs Up 1

There never has been before and I didn't see any option to I'm afraid.

I suppose I'll have to start over. I got up to the part where Link finds his bird.

I suppose I'll have to start over. I got up to the part where Link finds his bird.

If you're only that far in probably is the best time to do it now. You can explore a few of the other dialogue choices too.

Wha? I love the motion controls, I was just bothered by the fact that

a final boss that is purely swordplay at the end of a game that has been showing off swordplay the entire time was a bit predictable and run-of-the-mill, especially when it followed two games that also had 1-on-1 swordplay-based final bosses.

I actually found the third battle against Ghirahim way more fun, interesting, unique and satisfying than the one against Demise (even if Demise LOOKED cooler arena-wise).

I think one of the reasons the world feels so empty and isolated as well is because of the whole surface/sky separation. Each region somewhat feels like just one big, multi-part dungeon, which happens to contain two smaller dungeons within each.

Say what you will about the sailing in Wind Waker and the huge field in Twilight Princess, but those islands/caves/outcrops were a lot more inviting than the floating discs of grass in the sky on this one. Inviting... that's a key word. I should be INVITED to explore in Zelda. A lot of the time in Skyward Sword the optional areas took deliberate effort for me to really deviate from my path in the story to check out.

I'll second this whole-heartedly. I seriously keep thinking of each section as a dungeon. I think it's enhanced because they're so mazelike. And I checked out several of the cloud islands at first, but gave up because you couldn't do anything; even when there were chests (I hadn't found out about the goddess cubes at that point) they didn't open.

I'm trying to avoid all these spoiler tags right now, I'm still trying to defeat the fire boss. (It's not the motion controls that are the problem, it's the fact that I somehow keep ending up waving the stupid bug net at the beast. I don't think it'll be big enough even if you upgrade it, Link!)

If you're only that far in probably is the best time to do it now. You can explore a few of the other dialogue choices too.

So far, I have a total playtime of almost 4 hours, and I just passed the first person you see in the forest. It has gotten rather dull... When does the action come back? :)

So far, I have a total playtime of almost 4 hours, and I just passed the first person you see in the forest. It has gotten rather dull... When does the action come back? smile.png

Which person? The old lady or the goron dude?

because like the entire forest is filled with shit to fight

Finished the game a couple of days ago.

I did enjoy it more than Twilight Princess, certainly, but most of the flaws I pointed out earlier on still stand; namely, the plot is a combination of paper-thin (quite possible the weakest plot out of any 3D Zelda) and written with poor context. This then follows through into the gameplay, in that half of what the game asks you to do feels completely and blatantly forced in for the sake of extending the game, rather than feeling like logical, plot-contextual reasons for doing them.

I mean seriously,

Water dragon; "Oh yeah, you saved my life earlier but I still don't know if you're a worthy hero, spend half an hour collecting colourful tadpoles for me BECAUSE I SAID SO"

And seriously, Link getting randomly attacked and robbed by Bokoblins? You have to spend half an hour getting all your stuff back. It feels so ridiculously tacked on that it's laughable.

Incidentally, I actually really loved having to revive the Thunder dragon in Lanayru, because it actually made sense in the context of the plot. The guy was DEAD, then dying. It wasn't just a case of "I don't want to tell you, do this random task then I will" or some other random, unrelated sidetracking.

I'd much rather have had a shorter, sharper game that didn't feel like it was deliberately trying to pad itself out half the time, to be honest. Skyward Sword just feels like it's continually throwing obstacles in your path purely for the sake of wasting your time.

Oh, and regarding the last boss...

Oh god, embarrassing. I never once thought to use Skyward Strikes against him. Yes, partly due to logic fail (I mean, he uses them on you), but the slow nature of the move and having to charge it up sort of discourages you from ever really using it much in actual combat. I rarely used it other than when necessary.

So anyway, I manage to find a way to beat him without Skyward Strikes involving silly amounts of perfect timing with shield blocks and well-timed counterattacks. ...then my brother gets to the boss and figures out to use Skyward Strikes on him. I felt like such an idiot. XD

Highlights of the game for me were definitely the Ancient Cistern dungeon and the final Lanayru area.

• Thumbs Up 1

Haven't gotten the game yet, gonna likely get it for Christmas/my birthday, but I do have a feeling I'm gonna like the characters and the cutscenes... ESPECIALLY Groose.

halolz-dot-com-zeldaskywardsword-gaston.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBja24bsw0E&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Seriously, the scene in the vid caused me to laugh my ass off.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Wanted to throw a warning out for everyone playing this. Apparently there is a game breaking bug that can cause you to have to restart the entire game if it happens to you. It's near the end of the game so it's a real pain in the ass. I'll put it in spoilers.

When you are given the task to visit the three Dragons do it in the order of the areas you went to first. So first Faron, then Eldin, then last Lanayru. Even though you are free to do it in any order you please the glitch makes it so certain events won't happen if you do it out of order. Thus making it impossible to finish the game. It doesn't happen 100% of the time and no one is completely sure what causes the glitch, but it's better safe then sorry. I got lucky because I did Lanayru, then Eldin, then Faron and it worked fine. Some people have reported trouble so it's best to just do them in the order of the areas I listed above. That's the safest way to make sure you don't encounter the glitch.

Anyway I'm almost finished so I'll be able to discuss the ending and such with you guys soon.

Yeah, my friend actually encountered that glitch, so he was pretty frustrated.

The strange thing is I did do that quest in that exact order, but I didn't get the glitch, so there's something very specific that triggers it.

Edited by canderson

Oh man I don't know what the glitch you guys are talking about b/c I don't want to spoil the game for me, but from the sound of it, this reminds me of that glitch Twilight Princess had where you save at a certain area underground the graveyard and can't continue. LOL, glad that never happened to me.

One thing that bothers me in the game is that they did the same stupid mistake as in TP with the Rupees. Every fucking time I turn the game off and collect a treasure I have to read through the crap again xO

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing that bothers me in the game is that they did the same stupid mistake as in TP with the Rupees. Every fucking time I turn the game off and collect a treasure I have to read through the crap again xO

Oh god yes, I kept forgetting to bring this up.

Pissed me off extra coz I did my first playthrough on headphones nice and loud to get really into the world, and that "got small item" jingle is utter EAR RAPE at my desired volume (everything else in the game was fine, but just that one sound). I actually still somewhat fear it now I've finished the story and am playing as a normal volume. Tense my ears every time, lol.

The final insult is it pausing the game to show it appearing in your inventory... on top of all the ones you already have. Seriously how did that get past testing.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1