Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Would I be judged negatively if I said that I still like the Nega-Wisp Armor battle? I know it's not perfect (so don't even start on that), but I still think it's an enjoyable boss.

Um, no? Why be judged negatively for that?

Egg Nega Wisp for me is undermined both as a final boss and as an Eggman boss by it's utter banality and the story's complete failure to work up to it or portray it in any dangerous way. Awesome music though.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do think it has merit on being a not garbage final boss for once in a 3D Sonic game and a fun fight overall. Ceartainly bettter that Unleashed's embarrassing portrayl of Eggman being swat away by the MotW and having to partake in one of the worst Sonic bosses ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course you wouldn't be judged harshly, Komodin. However you feel about the boss battle is however you feel. Personally, in the grand scheme of things Egg Nega Wisp isn't offensive because it doesn't really get anything egregiously wrong in terms of mechanics and programming. I don't hate it or anything. Like most everything in Colors, it gets a resounding "it's okay."

But under the context of people proclaiming for years that having Eggman be the final boss battle would basically fix all of the problems associated with him not being the final boss, he fell short both times. Egg Nega Wisp is a boss that has no real weight to him either as a final boss (he's relatively small and effortless to defeat) or as the long-awaited showdown with Eggman (Lack of narrative and development brings down a climax). The second time, he was basically an Eldritch Abomination anyway, and on top of that was the least enjoyable to fight, because I still don't understand all the mechanics.

Can Eggman be a good final boss? Of course he can. We've seen him as a good final boss before. But merely being Eggman and the last thing you fight doesn't just magically waive away any potential flaws that will accrue in the development process.

• Thumbs Up 8

I do think it has merit on being a not garbage final boss for once in a 3D Sonic game and a fun fight overall. Ceartainly bettter that Unleashed's embarrassing portrayl of Eggman being swat away by the MotW and having to partake in one of the worst Sonic bosses ever.

I'll give Dark Gaia one thing; It was actually exciting and it had tension to it. Something completely missing from the Egg Nega Wisp. And the Egg Dragoon utterly stamps and annihilates anything Eggman's done since as a final boss.

• Thumbs Up 3

Would I be judged negatively if I said that I still like the Nega-Wisp Armor battle? I know it's not perfect (so don't even start on that), but I still think it's an enjoyable boss.

I think it's an absolute brilliant idea in hindsight, making Eggman use the Wisps (even though when I was reading spoilers, the mech wasn't mentioned and I assumed Eggman would be having a man-to-man battle with Sonic with both countering each other using Wisp abilities...), but it lacked more of the engaging nature it had in the DS version's extended story. Such as Sonic rushing down a birdseye view of Terminal Velocity while the Nega-Wisp Armour lashed out at him from behind, having to conserve your boost energy and kneejerk reacting to any boost pad that came your way, as well as the dangerous and chaotic battle with it afterwards that even has corrupted announcer calls for the Wisps he uses, all while fighting on a piece of Terminal Velocity's floor that's broken off and plummeting down.

But all things considered, the Wii version is one of the most tidy and straightforward final bosses while having enough of an epic air for it's use of the Wisps and accompanied by brilliant music, so I'd say it's still one of the better final bosses... and despite me directly comparing them just then, I feel it's a bit unfair to compare Sonic Team's bosses to the majority of Dimps' in the Rush games and Colours DS, since I find those their single biggest strength over Sonic Team.

Edited by t0ms0nic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do wish we had gotten to use the Wisps during the final fight, honestly. Could have been interesting. But I do really like the fight for what it is.

The DS version probably handled it better both as a fight (arguably) AND context wise, if that makes any sense. I mean, the the elevator was exploding and stuff, but you really couldn't tell in the Wii version of the fight, whereas in the DS version you're on a platform that's falling.

Edited by ElementofChaos

I'll give Dark Gaia one thing; It was actually exciting and it had tension to it. Something completely missing from the Egg Nega Wisp. And the Egg Dragoon utterly stamps and annihilates anything Eggman's done since as a final boss.

Im of the camp that if the gameplay mechanics fail and it's not enjoyable to play, tension means absoultley nothing to me, and any sense of excitement is gone because you're not having fun with said experience.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well as someone who didn't have too much trouble with the controls, I find Dark Gaia a far better final boss than either the Nega-Wisp Armor or the Time Eater.

In the context of gameplay & visuals, the Dark Gaia fight is simply a lot more fun to watch and play. There are three phases each unique from the other, and all lead up to a satisfying climax. There's really nothing visually impressive in the other two fights; in both fights you're just running/flying aimlessly on a single path and there's no transition whatsoever. The only criticism I have for the Dark Gaia fight is that it drags on a for a little too long(seriously, did we have to do the Colossus sequence three fucking times), and the overabundance of Quick Time events. 

I have nothing negative against the Nega-Wisp Armor, I just don't find it really interesting or engaging as both a boss and a narrative device. Its easy so its difficulty isn't really an issue, and there's no context to it other than it being Eggman in a giant mech, which has a happened a million times in the past and with far more impact(Egg Walker/Egg Viper anyone). The only really great thing about it is the music, which I'll admit is one of my favorite final boss sequences.

So yea, count me on the people who don't understand the massive amount of praise it gets for having Eggman as the final boss despite all of the above.

• Thumbs Up 1

So yea, count me on the people who don't understand the massive amount of praise it gets for having Eggman as the final boss despite all of the above.

Because it's still a fun boss regardless? I admit with competition like Metal Overlord, Devil Doom, Solaris, Dark Gaia, and later on Time Eater it doesn't say much, but it was still the first final boss I could have fun with in a long time, Eggman being in the final boss position was just cherry on top for me.

Edited by Soniman

Because it's still a fun boss regardless? I admit with competition like Metal Overlord, Devil Doom, Solaris, Dark Gaia, and later on Time Eater it doesn't say much, but it was still the first final boss I could have fun with in a long time, Eggman being in the final boss position was just cherry on top for me.

But fun is a subjective thing; I had fun with Dark Gaia, and everyone generally agrees that its a shitty final boss anyway. So fun doesn't really factor into much here because anyone can have fun with anything. I admit that Eggman as the final boss for a change was a nice change of pace, but that doesn't necessarily make it better than the other final bosses. Its just that, a change of pace.

If anything, I'd be more upset that having Eggman as the final boss is so lukewarm compared to the final bosses of the past.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

People are claiming that part of the Egg Nega Wisp's greatness is the fact that Eggman is a final boss through it when the story completely failed to portray him in any decent way in regards to being a satisfying final boss because not only is he never treated seriously but also because the Egg Nega Wisp is a banal boss anyway.

Egg Nega Wisp is a terrible Eggman final boss both narrative-wise and great final boss-wise as far as I'm concerned as Eggman is utterly undermined in his final boss status by multiple aspects. IMO, Egg Dragoon in Unleashed was vastly superior because not only was it worked-up to but also because it's genuinely dangerous.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Metal Overlord was that bad. At least it controlled similarly to the normal game, which is more than you can say about...most of the Super Sonic final bosses, even in the 2D games. Although I think I would have preferred to fight Metal Sonic is his normal "Neo" form rather than the Perfect Chaos-y-kind-of-thing he transformed into.

It would have contrasted with the team battles in the rest of the game since Metal would be fighting all on his own. Maybe he could have used moves all three formations use, and some of the unique character attacks? That would have made sense since he copied all their data...

Now, that part where he uses Chaos Control and pretty much nothing happens for twenty seconds...WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THAT.

Edited by ElementofChaos

People are claiming that part of the Egg Nega Wisp's greatness is the fact that Eggman is a final boss through it when the story completely failed to portray him in any decent way in regards to being a satisfying final boss because not only is he never treated seriously but also because the Egg Nega Wisp is a banal boss anyway.

Perhaps the fact that Eggman's the final boss for a change is enough for them to think the Nega-Wisp Armor is great.

Perhaps they just don't think the fight itself is banal, so much as genuinely enjoyable for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps the fact that Eggman's the final boss for a change is enough for them to think the Nega-Wisp Armor is great.

Perhaps they just don't think the fight itself is banal, so much as genuinely enjoyable for them.

And that's perfectly fine. If you like the Nega-Wisp armor, then cool beans. We're just explaining how we feel about it, and why we don't agree with the general consensus that its one of the best final bosses ever by virtue of it simply being Eggman, and that somehow puts it on a pedestal above the Monsters of the Weeks that everyone seem to look down upon.

• Thumbs Up 2

Egg Nega Wisp is a terrible Eggman final boss both narrative-wise and great final boss-wise as far as I'm concerned as Eggman is utterly undermined in his final boss status by multiple aspects. IMO, Egg Dragoon in Unleashed was vastly superior because not only was it worked-up to but also because it's genuinely dangerous.

Sonic Colors was ok. It was not my least favorite game but it was not my favorite either. The Starlight Carnival and Aquarium park levels were gorgeous and the music was as usual amazing. But I think my only problem with Sonic Colors is that it was kind of easy to get through. It felt like you could finish the whole game in less than an hour. I think that this is because the levels were too easy to play, that there was not much of a challenge. At least the Sonic unleashed final boss was challenging. But I felt like the final boss in Sonic colors was too easy to defeat. I dont know if anyone else felt this way as well with Sonic Colors. That was just my impression. Sonic generations however was much more successful. The levels were fun and challenging, giving you many wonderful hours of Sonic nostalgia.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion on Sonic Colors. So I am not claiming that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think im probably in the minority but besides the gaia colossus part of the fight (which is eons better in the wii version by the way) the unleashed final boss was probably my favorite one yet rivaling sonic heroes for me, it was fast, tested your skills all the way throughout and as much as people say it, I still can't see the whole over abundance of QTE's thing except once again in the gaia colossus section and those weren't even that bad to complete. Also, I see the whole super sonic having a health bar thing strengthens the atmosphere of the fight because it shows just how powerful dark gaia is and the fact that even though he is super he could still lose to him easily if he's not careful.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the Unleashed Egg Dragoon fight is anything special, it's like half QTEs. It would be more fun if you were actually controlling the Werehog ripping this thing apart rather than going "press this button, press that button". And the Dark Gaia boss is possibly THE worst final boss in any Sonic game. Yes, it's worse than Solaris. Yes, it's worse than the Time Eater. In my opinion anyway. The only reason I find the Time Eater better is because it ends quicker, but still, it counts for something.

I much prefer the Generations Egg Dragoon fight despite it lacking the "tension" of the original. It's just more fun to play and it uses the skills like the wall jump, rail grinding, boosting, quick stepping, even the awesome skydiving sequences.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are not perfect.

Also, I actually kind of liked Secret Rings, probably because I was ten when it came out.

Edited by Johnny Boy92
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are not perfect.

Care to explain why? I completely agree with you, but be more specific.

The only reason I find the Time Eater better is because it ends quicker, but still, it counts for something.

This is my main issue with Dark Gaia, it's broken up into SO many segments which makes it way longer than it should be, IMO! That and dealing important blows requires QTEs, of course.

Care to explain why? I completely agree with you, but be more specific.

3D Sonic games, which means a lot of cheap deaths and glitches everywhere. Sure, they do feature great stories, but the gameplay, not so much. Especially Big's levels.

Unpopular opinion; Sonic and the Black Knight has one of the best stories in the entire series.

... Hmm. Ever since I started being a poster here, I keep forgetting that this is actually a minority opinion....

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I came to a realization.

I didn't hate Heroes/Shadow/2K6 merely for having Eggman betrayed, indisposed, or otherwise barred from main-villain status. I disliked those stories because it felt like the writers just kinda... didn't really know what to do with Eggman, and sorta put him in because they had to before mostly sweeping him under the rug and under-utilizing him.

Games like Unleashed and (apparently) Lost World may have had Eggman lose the spot as primary antagonist, but they're written by people who really get what makes Eggman such an entertaining character, and thus in these games Eggman is very prominent and actually seems like something other than an afterthought. Similarly, I loved Colors and Generations as well, but I think that was less simply because Eggman was the main antagonist, and more because he was written and utilized very well as a character.

Edited by Doc Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 2