Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Wouldn't a balance between Eggman's ability to be goofy and his ability to be serious be more preferable and ultimately better for his depth as a character in the long run than a complete extreme of either or? I certainly miss the days when he was in the foreground actively participating in the achievement of his goals rather than sitting around chastising Orbot as he waited for the Monster of the Week to cook or for Sonic to arrive. Him making threats, running around, and holding Amy at gunpoint do not mean a sacrifice of his new-found "fun" personality.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not saying he shouldn't be both, I'm saying I don't think he has to compromise (or not much, at least) on being mad to be more threatening. I mean, what's not frightening about a narcissistic, tantrum prone, likely-insane man who commands an army of robots, a number of mechs, and can consistently dig up new sources of even greater power?

• Thumbs Up 2

I wish Eggman would be more of a threat.

I don't think Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog are bad games. I wouldn't say they're objectively good either, but they're certainly enjoyable. They're ok for what they are. Actually, besides Sonic 2006, I can't think of a Sonic game that's any worse than just "ok".

I never cared for the Chao Garden.

I never, ever liked the writing in Colors. It's just as cringe-worthy as Heroes's. And I thought Generations, in terms of story, squandered loads of potential and it was just overall too simple.

This is more of a nitpick than an opinion.

Caren Manuel's late portrayal of Rouge the Bat makes Rouge sound like a seductive middle aged woman, rather than a seductive teen.

Edited by Auto

I'm not saying he shouldn't be both, I'm saying I don't think he has to compromise (or not much, at least) on being mad to be more threatening. I mean, what's not frightening about a narcissistic, tantrum prone, likely-insane man who commands an army of robots, a number of mechs, and can consistently dig up new sources of even greater power?

Note that I was speaking in general.

Anyway: In a vacuum, that's frightening. But a hero helps make his villain; when you're given the role of a character who constantly undermines this villain with little struggle or fear himself (forgetting all of his egregious engineering errors), then the villain becomes more and more a glass cannon than something terrifying, or at the very least something to be taken seriously as a threat. The narcissism and tantrums just compound on this. As it stands, current Eggman is nowhere close to scary; funny, but not scary. I don't fear his plans or his might because, again, all he kinda does now is sit around, put Orbot on blast, or remember that he's supposed to be a boss and quickly runs to find Sonic to challenge him before disappearing again.

Some do.

But then he'd hardly be mad, would he?

I mean, it's a fact that Eggman doesn't always act in his best interest. But that's a pretty common trait for cartoon villains (and for quite a lot of non-cartoon villains), and it's a product of being a flawed person; he's self-obsessed, childish, quick to anger, and quite likely just a little insane.

Nepenthe already kind of covered it, but I just want repeat it. I'm not saying Eggman's insane, mad traits should be compromised but at the moment there's nothing truly threatening about him at all; he's definitely gotten funnier to watch and I appreciate that but there's nothing really there to make me appreciate him as a villain. I know this reflects just as badly on Sonic's inability to take anything seriously and recognize the severity of a threat, but considering how Eggman himself treats his plans, he's almost justified in not taking him seriously.

Eggman - as a supervillain - has no qualms against rampant destruction if it proves to be beneficial to his conquest of the world. And while he respects and even likes Sonic as a person, he won't hold back from blasting him to kingdom come if given the opportunity. Morality aside, however, Eggman's personality is usually presented as very likable. He's usually very humorous and bombastic, and this is something that doesn't change from game to game. The question is: is Robotnik a real threat who happens to be funny, or is he just a clown and no longer dangerous?

As mentioned by others above, to be an effective antagonist, Eggman's needs to be evil. He's a playful, peppy, and even lovable character who expresses hints of a redeeming side on occasion... but he's still trying to conquer the world, and his portrayal needs to reflect that.

But I don't believe Eggman has lost his threatening air, so to speak. He may not be as effective in stopping Sonic. However, put it into perspective: of his most recent plans, the doctor almost committed genocide on the adorable, innocent Wisps, and put Sonic's friends in limbo while screwing up time and space just to trap both Sonics. And those are just two examples.

Being scary or threatening doesn't have to be as obvious as making giant factories or attempting to nuke cities. As he is today, Robotnik is both megalomaniac and bombastic, and while sometimes it may look like he's more of the latter, he still mantains a healthy balance and that's one of the reasons he is such an endearing character.

• Thumbs Up 5

What when did this happen?

SA2?

I don't know. I generally make it a point not to argue with Eggman fans most of the time since, like the doctor himself, they've made hard studies into his character that I more or less defer too.

If you analyse his attitude whenever Sonic comes along, you'll see he 'likes' him enough to think up elaborate speeches and even jokes before and during their fights. He seems to purposely attract Sonic as if to test his wits and skill with all sorts of new contraptions and plans.

SA2 was kind of fail with Eggman trying to kill Sonic since it was a shameless excuse to throw in Chaos Control with Sonic, really.

Needless to say, Eggman wouldn't be complete without Sonic and vice versa.

He tends to treat Sonic and his friends in a rather respectful manner, even as he attempts to crush them. It would also appear that his rivalry with Sonic is nothing personal - instead he considers him an obstacle in his way. When there's a world-destroying crisis, Eggman is the first to bring everyone together, organizing his enemies to combat it.

This is visible in SA2 when Eggman regrettably ponders over Gerald's betrayal, and shares a brief (but honest) moment of friendship with Tails.

Edited by Dr. Homem
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh, new one. Unpopular at that.

I like Iizuka, I do question him at times, like his decisions with Shadow and Sonic 4 but I respect him for bring the series back and finally getting a good idea on how it should move on. It can be improved but yeah, he really sorta nailed it with Colors, even though the person who works on Unleashed really should've stayed, he should've been sub-director of Sonic Team or something, haha.

Oh and um... as much as I respect Naka-san... I don't really like him. I don't know why but yeah. :/

• Thumbs Up 5

Unpopular opinion: I liked sonic R and would even go as far as to say its better than some kart racers out there (won't say which though) and I really like the music on it and think that it should get a sequel, but its gonna have to do a lot to top a little game I call mad dash racing.

"It doesn't matter" seems to be really popular, often held as 'the' theme of Sonic , while I don't care for it.

If I had to choose a 'de facto' theme for Sonic it would be Endless Possibilities, though the lyrics do tie in a bit too much to the events of the game.

Edited by Mysterics

"Sonic Colors is a godsend" ... I disagree completely, it's slow...doesn't capture sonic's speed like SU or SG, the graphics suck, and on top of everything else, the dialogue could make most teenagers/adults cringe...all I can praise is the soundtrack...

"Tails is awesome, he should follow Sonic around forever!"....nope, I'm tired of him appearing time and time again overshadowing the rest of the characters...If we're talking about classic, I prefer Knuckles or Amy any day.

it's slow...doesn't capture sonic's speed like SU or SG

So does that mean every 3D Sonic game before Unleashed and Generations is slow cause you're not running insanely fast?

BTW, what's wrong with the graphics? It looks great for a Wii title.

Edited by sonfan1984

"Sonic Colors is a godsend" ... I disagree completely, it's slow...doesn't capture sonic's speed like SU or SG, the graphics suck, and on top of everything else, the dialogue could make most teenagers/adults cringe...all I can praise is the soundtrack...

"Tails is awesome, he should follow Sonic around forever!"....nope, I'm tired of him appearing time and time again overshadowing the rest of the characters...If we're talking about classic, I prefer Knuckles or Amy any day.

I don't like to dog on my favorite game, but Sonic Unleashed had half Daytime, Half Nighttime stages. You know, the MUCH slower than Sonic Werehog?

Sonic Colors's graphic's suck? WTF are you talking about? They sure as hell top Mario Galaxy's graphics, and it goes without saying that this is on a Wii instead of the 360 or PS3, i.e. it's not known for making stellar graphics like those two consoles.

There's a lot to criticize about Colors, but that definitely isn't one of them.

• Thumbs Up 5

Settle down guys...I compare it to SU and SG since the game itself is supposedly the last piece of the "trilogy", werehog has nothing to do with...anything really, I'm comparing Sonic stages, not Sonic the werehog with Colors stages, that makes no sense. And anyway most have forgotten about it ever since SG came out...it wasn't really that memorable, just mediocre in many ways.

Comparing Colors' graphics to SU and SG at the very least, you should not considering that they're on different systems dude.

Yeah...I shouldn't have expected much from a Wii Sonic game, the Gamecube and HD console mainstream games are more my thing. Nonetheless, I was still extremely disappointed.

And anyway most have forgotten about it ever since SG came out...it wasn't really that memorable, just mediocre in many ways.

The same thing could almost be said about SG. I don't see that many people praising that anymore or find it all that memorable either. Also, everytime a new Sonic game is announced people seem to always forget about the previous game and bring up that dreaded Sonic cycle.

Edited by sonfan1984

When I played Sonic Unleashed after playing Colors, my opinion of it dropped like a rock. When I played Colors after Generations (and a two-year gap), I liked it just as much as when I first got it.

I think that's part of why I like Colors more; that after two years, it's still a lot of fun to play. If you can go back to a game after years of not playing it and still like it (even if it's a bit less than before), it's a good game. That's how I see it.

I guess that's my unpopular/popular (I really don't know more) opinion; that Sonic Colors still holds up even after two years.

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd say that was popular, because my stance of "I only played a few hours of it because I got bored of it and haven't touched it since" is far more of a minority. 

Popular opinions I agree with:

Sonic Heroes isn't as bad as they make it out to be.

If it is popular opinion that Sonic Heroes isn't as bad as 'they' make it out to be, than who are 'they' ? 

Since the 'Sonic friends suck' opinion has been discussed quite a lot here, I think I'd like to point that (though I don't think they suck), the 'Sonic friends suck' phenomenon is a self-fulfilling loop, the less people like them, the more useless they're going to become.

Edited by Mysterics