Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Sonic R is in my top ten Sonic games. I also like Amy rose as a character

Edited by K.T.E.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Sonic 1 is the worst of the classic trilogy. Mainly due to the fact that the first Sonic Advance was my first sonic game and when I finally played sonic 1 on mega collection I was pretty frustrated by the lack of the spin dash.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Adventure games are more 3D than Unleashed/Colours/Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of agree with VEDJ-F on this. Colors has good music, but it's the least memorable soundtrack of the era (granted, I also feel Generations gets way too much praise. Of course it's memorable, most of it is remixes of previously memorable songs. It would be difficult for the musicians we have to completely cock such a project up, especially since some of the original composers came back anyway). I do like some tunes though: Terminal Velocity, Aquatic Park, and Planet Wisp are favorites of mine. Also I do remember Sweet Mountain, but just because it's so discordant; those horns and that percussion. 

What defines memorable though?  I could hum almost every track in Colours easily.  Infact more of Colours' tracks stick to my mind than Unleashed's tracks.  It's such a weak, overly subjective term when used to describe music.  

The Adventure games are more 3D than Unleashed/Colours/Generations.

That's not really an opinion, moreso a quantifiable fact.

• Thumbs Up 7

What defines memorable though?  I could hum almost every track in Colours easily.  Infact more of Colours' tracks stick to my mind than Unleashed's tracks.  It's such a weak, overly subjective term when used to describe music.  
I would define memorability as a combination of something's difficulty to learn, its ability to be recalled without reminder, and the length of time after learning it is still recalled. In short, if a melody is learned within minutes and you are prone to start humming it years after the fact with no direct reminder of its existence enabling such, I would think it fair to classify that melody as memorable without a whole bunch of confusion. And of course it's a subjective qualifier. We're discussing the enjoyability and memorability of music here, not math. My opinion doesn't define anything either; if you find Colors' music more memorable than Unleashed's, we'll just have to respectfully disagree. Regardless, I don't think the term is particularly useless or warrants much debate.

Here's a pretty unpopular opinion, I don't think Eggman is the greatest character ever written like so many people seem to think he is. Before he struggled to ever get main villain spot, and nowadays he's hardly a threat or at least treated like one.

The writers fail to capitalize to make him feel like a threat in favor of playing up his goofball side, which doesn't make terribly written per se, but it hardly makes him feel like a threat we must stop and more like a nuisance.

No I don't Eggman causing massive genoicide and killing babies, but is it too much to ask for him to be both threatening and comical with neither overtaking the other.

I feel Eggman is generally on par with the characters still being utilized in that he's a more enjoyable entity to watch, but he's thoroughly stuck in a role and plays it straight without any real interference of events that will facilitate interesting development or elaboration. He comes in, introduces his plan, inevitably loses, rinse and repeat for the next game. Sonic is luckier in that, through gameplay or the narrative focusing on him for longer periods of time, we can see him in more interesting situations and see some bits of pieces of emoting and development that Eggman hasn't and potentially cannot experience. Of course, I've lamented before that the hedgehog's a little bit too immune from struggle, but regardless I much prefer watching Sonic muck about than Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that's again, a problem with Sonic rather than Eggman.

Eggman does evil things, but Sonic doesn't give a fuck. Eggman tries to destroy Sonic, Sonic used plot armour, it's super effective.

What's the point in draining the lifeforce of a helpless alien species to power your theme park where the rides go nowhere and there's deadly traps everywhere, when Sonic just shrugs his shoulders and Boosts into everything without a care in the world?

I'm all for a confident and unbreakable hero, but my unpopular *ahem* POPULAR opinion is that it's really starting to grate on me how nothing is a threat to Sonic anymore, even things like Shadow's raw power or Knuckles' abilities contrasting his which should be a threat to him.

No wonder people thinks Sonic has shitty friends, they're all worthless next to the dude himself...

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't think Sonic's plot armor being an annoying detriment is something that is an unpopular opinion. xP

I don't think Sonic's plot armor being an annoying detriment is something that is an unpopular opinion. xP

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions.

He originally called his own opinion "unpopular." I was disagreeing with that.

He originally called his own opinion "unpopular." I was disagreeing with that.

Yeah, that's me not reading posts that were responded to before responding myself. Derp.

I think that's again, a problem with Sonic rather than Eggman.

Eggman does evil things, but Sonic doesn't give a fuck. Eggman tries to destroy Sonic, Sonic used plot armour, it's super effective.

What's the point in draining the lifeforce of a helpless alien species to power your theme park where the rides go nowhere and there's deadly traps everywhere, when Sonic just shrugs his shoulders and Boosts into everything without a care in the world?

I'm all for a confident and unbreakable hero, but my unpopular *ahem* POPULAR opinion is that it's really starting to grate on me how nothing is a threat to Sonic anymore, even things like Shadow's raw power or Knuckles' abilities contrasting his which should be a threat to him.

No wonder people thinks Sonic has shitty friends, they're all worthless next to the dude himself...

It's really both of them honestly; Sonic for being virtually infallible, and Eggman for not really taking his plans seriously.

How does Eggman not take his plans seriously?

Well you're laughing like Santa Claus at every little thing you do, it's kind of hard to take you seriously

Yeah, if anything, it's the way the narrative is usually written -- especially nowadays -- that dampens Eggman's seriousness as a villain (and Sonic's fallibility as a protagonist, for that matter).

Well you're laughing like Santa Claus at every little thing you do, it's kind of hard to take you seriously

...Eh?

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm. Well the way he maliciously attempted to pit Tails against Sonic whilst the former was under mind control is quite wicked especially when you consider that in his words, the only thing that'd make putting Tails under mind control in the first place better would be watching them fight. That's so mean and awful.

In SA2, I hardly got the impression that Eggman had comedic aspects (Apart from his ass-scratching in one cutscene :lol:). His plans are dead serious and Eggman acts dead serious as well. It's part of the competent image he generally had throughout that game.

I blame Sega/Sonic Team/whoever is to blame for not having any sense of ...middleness. Everything they do always tends to be extremes for some reason >_>.

• Thumbs Up 3

What kind of mad scientist doesn't laugh?

• Thumbs Up 9

Unpopular; I'm beginning to really warm up to Kirk Thornton as Shadow thanks to ASRT.

In other games I've played where Kirk has played Shadow, he wasn't really in them enough to give a good idea of how he wanted to play the role, or just didn't get enough interaction for it to be clear.

With ASRT, I can get a better idea through the animations and such like. It seems that he's now intentionally being played as more quirky and spirited, which Thornton matches with a hammy and enthused take. 

I dunno if that'll be exclusive to ASRT in the same way that Shadow being obsessed with his weapon status was in Battle and that Shadow being obsessed with Omega was in Chronicles (both also guilty pleasures of mine), but it was nice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah no, I prefer my bombastic over the top Eggman rather than a version who should take his plans super seriously because I guess a series like Sonic really has to take strides to be depicted realisticlty.

Yes, because I totally want Sonic to be this super serious series where there's no fun at all, and all of the characters swear all of the time. Surely I have no idea what I'm talking about.

If you took a second to stop generalizing my post, you would notice I didn't say Eggman shouldn't take his plans "super seriously" and said that he should tone down the bombasticness to when it's appropriate, and not laugh maniacally at EVERYTHING.

What kind of mad scientist doesn't laugh?

They don't laugh at literally everything they do. I don't mind Eggman's gloating, but it should really be reserved for when has something to gloat about.

• Thumbs Up 3

They don't laugh at literally everything they do.

Some do.

I don't mind Eggman's gloating, but it should really be reserved for when has something to gloat about.

But then he'd hardly be mad, would he?

I mean, it's a fact that Eggman doesn't always act in his best interest. But that's a pretty common trait for cartoon villains (and for quite a lot of non-cartoon villains), and it's a product of being a flawed person; he's self-obsessed, childish, quick to anger, and quite likely just a little insane.