Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

There are times that I wish I loved the older games. I understand why fans like them so much because it does make Sonic .... Sonic. I can never get into them. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're confusing different groups of people. The kind of people who want more games like the Genesis Sonics usually aren't the kind of people who want Sonic to be as fast as possible. In fact I'm one of the people who wants Sonic to play more like he did in the Genesis games (though I'd like to see that in 3D too, and I'm not interested in remaking S3&K over and over again), and I've been against the boost gameplay and its super-high speeds because I don't think the Genesis gameplay is compatible with that.

Not really, there may be different groups but the approach is always the same, hate filled comments and links to old videos followed by cries of Sonic being ruined by children and fake fans.

I don't mind 2D, but I strongly dislike the boost as its has reduced Sonic to an on rails with minimum input required to win types of games. Hell I played the genesis games and fondly remember them for the fast paced platforming action, not the mindless speeding through everything and everyone with the push of a button.

Well, yes, because S4E2, Lost World, and RoL are all pretty bad games (or at least no more than mediocre), while the Genesis games are still great and Taxman did a great job of remaking them. People don't point to the Genesis Sonics because that's all they want to see, they're trying to get Sonic Team to realize that there was something special about those games that made so many people into fans, and they want to see games that understand and build on those things.

There a big difference between hating a game for what it is and simply hating it for what its not. What I am referring to is how the games was hated before anything was even really known about them. It really hit the peak when Sonic Boom was slammed right after the name and sole promo image with nothing but the shadowy silhouettes released resulted in a hate filled meltdown.

And I'm sorry but your mistaken, its not to show what made Sonic great that they constantly link to fan games and youtube videos of the genesis games. Its solely to whine about the physics not being like the genesis games, hell, I recall seeing people whine that Taxman didn't remove or reduce the pointless platforming in Sonic CD cause it kept forcing people to slow down all the time to jump between platforms.

Not really, there may be different groups but the approach is always the same, hate filled comments and links to old videos followed by cries of Sonic being ruined by children and fake fans.

Well, I'm not trying to defend blatant assholery, but I think it's important to remember that these comments aren't coming from some monolithic hive mind.

There a big difference between hating a game for what it is and simply hating it for what its not. What I am referring to is how the games was hated before anything was even really known about them. It really hit the peak when Sonic Boom was slammed right after the name and sole promo image with nothing but the shadowy silhouettes released resulted in a hate filled meltdown.

People are quick to be critical of Sonic for a reason. With as many bad games and bad ideas as it's had, people are worried that the series is just going to continue producing new mistakes instead of returning to the things they like about the series. With Boom in particular, even from the silhouettes we could tell Knuckles was getting a pretty drastic redesign, and from that it wasn't hard to guess that the other characters would too. People were worried that the series would move even further away from the things they liked...and they weren't even wrong, RoL barely even resembles a Sonic game.

And I'm sorry but your mistaken, its not to show what made Sonic great that they constantly link to fan games and youtube videos of the genesis games. Its solely to whine about the physics not being like the genesis games, hell, I recall seeing people whine that Taxman didn't remove or reduce the pointless platforming in Sonic CD cause it kept forcing people to slow down all the time to jump between platforms.

The physics, which are one of the reasons the Genesis games were great, yes. And which the series hasn't even pretended to care about for years now. That's like textbook "we don't like that, this is what we want, please give us more of this".

And while CD's a pretty good game, its level design has always gotten complaints for being too chaotic and for working against the player's speed rather than encouraging it. People do want to go fast in Sonic, if not necessarily boost-fast, so it's not really surprising that some people would have preferred the game's levels be more in line with the other classic games, even if it's an unrealistic request.

• Thumbs Up 2

I downloaded the Sonic Boom demo on my Wii U however many moons ago (I guess a year at this point) and it didn't really do anything to sell me for the game. Still haven't picked it up, don't know if I'm going to. The cartoon's really good, though! And I like a lot of the character redesigns, Eggman's especially.

There are times that I wish I loved the older games. I understand why fans like them so much because it does make Sonic .... Sonic. I can never get into them. 

I completely agree with you. My first game was Sonic Heroes, and I only went back and played the Adventure games before I just kept going forward. Of course, I went back and played the classic trilogy. They're good games, I just don't find them fun personally. It's not just Sonic, but a lot of 2D games are like that for me.

But hey, whatcha gonna do? c:

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree with you. My first game was Sonic Heroes, and I only went back and played the Adventure games before I just kept going forward. Of course, I went back and played the classic trilogy. They're good games, I just don't find them fun personally. It's not just Sonic, but a lot of 2D games are like that for me.

But hey, whatcha gonna do? c:

My favorite Sonic 2D game is Sonic 4. It was my first 2 and I love that game. I adore it because its a mix of both styles. The other 2D games dont have the same charm for me. But thats just me.

In all the classics dont have the fun and rush I look for in the other games I start with

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite Sonic 2D game is Sonic 4. It was my first 2 and I love that game. I adore it because its a mix of both styles. The other 2D games dont have the same charm for me. But thats just me.

In all the classics dont have the fun and rush I look for in the other games I start with

I'm head-over-heels for the homing attack. It definately makes the classic-like games more enjoyable for me. c:

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm head-over-heels for the homing attack. It definately makes the classic-like games more enjoyable for me. c:

OMG that was something I love about Sonic Generations. CLASSIC SONIC GOT THE HOMING ATTACK! NOW HES LESS BORING! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to head out of this topic... looking back at my last few posts I see I still haven't gotten over my time at the US SEGA forum and how... negative an effect that digital environment had on my metal health.

If I wound up insulting anyone here, I'm sorry for it, it wasn't my intention to do that.

Edited by Idon'tcare
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to head out of this topic... looking back at my last few posts I see I still haven't gotten over my time at the US SEGA forum and how... negative an effect that digital environment had on my metal health.

If I wound up insulting anyone here, I'm sorry for it, it wasn't my intention to do that.

Its alright. 

I dont want to talk bad about the other forums but this forum is not the sega forums. in fact no one forum is the whole fanbase. I do understand how you feel because I was part of the sega forums for a little while before i leave. but yeah this place is very different so dont worry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually like the whole bright and shiny look the characters had from SADX/Heroes/Shadow/Riders.

2012-01-21_00026.jpg24735_full.jpggamings-most-notorious-anti-heroes-20120story_bab25.jpg

I know it's kind of a weird style considering the characters look like they've been wiped with wax and oil all around them.

But there's something about this glossy style that really appeals to me. I don't know if it's the reflection of the character's color that shines out or Heroes/Shadow's bright and colorful character models in general, but I personally like it.     

Now that I think about it, I really like that style too. I'm sure nostalgia plays a role, but it may also have to do with the fact that the Sonic characters are so cartoony, so it sort of "fits" to not give them realistic textures. The color and brightness in most of those games is really perfect too.

I think there's something about giving the characters realistic fur that is just a little bit awkward, honestly. Especially since it kind of looks like Sonic's spikes have fur on them...how does that work, exactly? :P

Also, hope I don't brew anything up by getting into the prior conversation, but yeah, I don't really think the Genesis games were ever about just blasting through and going as fast as possible (and as a fan of them, it's a big problem I have with the boost myself). Are there people who really think they were? I mean, people who like the Boost style because it reminds them of the classics? That would be a very weird position to take, in my opinion. I don't think the two styles don't play very similarly at all (though to be fair, my experience with the Boost games is really limited). Also, I don't think you were really being insulting, and I can understand why you might get upset about these things if you had a prior experience like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I sure as hell don't like that style; playing Sonic Heroes was literally impossible for more than a couple of hours because of that shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: I think the parkour was done better in Shadow the Hedgehog.

When I play and walk on walls in the game to me it is smooth and easy to do and it feel like Shadow can walk on the walls and I can even parkour on boxes and leges. Sonic Lost World was not easy to understand and it didnt feel like a parkour at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, no we don't. Especially considering all the games that have come before where Tails has done far more than that (SA1, SA2, heck even Colors despite how safe its plot was). It's not like Tails was the only one to suffer this problem either - that's a writing problem, not a character one.

I know he used to be more useful. But he hasn't been useful lately which is why I feel that way. And all he did in Colors was mention the generators, the translator was pointless.

I know he used to be more useful. But he hasn't been useful lately which is why I feel that way. And all he did in Colors was mention the generators, the translator was pointless.

Which is him being given a role and isn't him "being there" as you initially said he had no real role in the games, not that he wasn't being useful. You're basically ignoring what Tails has done and making excuses for the sake of justifying your point.

And considering Sonic had no idea what the generators were used for throughout the entirety of Colors, the translator was anything but pointless as it gave more clarity and incentive to destroying them instead of "just because". You want to call it pointless, then that makes Sonic searching for and destroying the generators pointless because he never to this day knew what they were for.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Which is him being given a role and isn't him "being there" as you initially said he had no real role in the games, not that he wasn't being useful. You're basically ignoring what Tails has done and making excuses for the sake of justifying your point.

And considering Sonic had no idea what the generators were used for throughout the entirety of Colors, the translator was anything but pointless as it gave more clarity and incentive to destroying them instead of "just because". You want to call it pointless, then that makes Sonic searching for and destroying the generators pointless because he never to this day knew what they were for.

I would argue just that actualy. considering that eggman knew that sonic destroyed his generators ( hiding behind one after all ). he sure didnt act is if those generators meant anything to his cannon, even questioning why his beam didnt work. So either eggman suffer amnesia in this game or those generators are pointless.

I agree with the opinion that sonic should return to his momentum based gameplay with pinball physics. I disagree with the opinion that gameplay is everything ( though to be fair, i barely hear this statement anymore )

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow the hedgehog had parkour in it? 

You can run forward for a little bit after latching onto a wall with triangle jump. Shadow unsticks after a second or two though, so it's really only good for repositioning yourself if something gets in the way of your jump.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can run forward for a little bit after latching onto a wall with triangle jump. Shadow unsticks after a second or two though, so it's really only good for repositioning yourself if something gets in the way of your jump.

-Stares long and hard at the camera used in Shadow the Hedgehog.- So that would be every two minutes then huh.

Didn't they use the same thing in Sonic Heroes? I believe it was possible to use the speed type characters to run a short distance on the walls as well.

-Stares long and hard at the camera used in Shadow the Hedgehog.- So that would be every two minutes then huh.

Didn't they use the same thing in Sonic Heroes? I believe it was possible to use the speed type characters to run a short distance on the walls as well.

They could stick to a wall for about a second and perform the triangle jump, but they couldn't run forward.

I wish Sonic Battle was better written; in many ways I feel it had a good story, and I loved the tone of it. It had serious moments and moments of light-heartedness. The story did not become overly consumed with seriousness, such as Shadow the Hedgehog, and didn't have a paper-thin joke of a story, like in generations.

I feel this kind of tone would be perfect for future Sonic games. It's just that Sonic Battle's story is filled with plotholes, like the game stating that Emerl has acquired the 'third' chaos emerald two times, or that 'a master emerald' falls out of nowhere. If such a story could be more carefully edited, there is potential for a great story.

I also wish Sonic Chronicles received a better fate; I loved the story connections with Battle; I loved battling multiple Gizoids; but the gameplay was mediocre. Long ago, I tried getting my sister into it who loves Bioware games. After 10 min, she gave up on the game and said outright the repetitive battle system is not fun.

The story itself is not perfect, but definitely has its moments, but now we'll never see the end of it. We'll never see Eggman's Empire getting sucked up by Argus; we'll never see who or what Argus is. So much wasted potential.

So yes, that's my opinion. I enjoyed these games, and wished they could have been better. I also wish just once I could have played someone else in Sonic Battle or shared Chao in Chronicles.

One final note: I know that many of you intensely dislike the Knuckles vs 3 guardian robo fight, and understandably  so. Check this out. No lives lost battle by Razor & Zenon.  11:50 Indeed, no damage at all. Clement needs to see this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Sonic Battle's story too, I think it'd definitely be a step in the right direction if they followed that games tone of story.

• Thumbs Up 2

They could stick to a wall for about a second and perform the triangle jump, but they couldn't run forward.

Weird, could have sword I managed to get Sonic and co to do a very short wall run in Ocean Palace... meh, doesn't really matter.

Here's another popular opinion I disagree with. "The Werehog sucks."

• Thumbs Up 1