Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know whether this is popular or unpopular, but Tails' Boom design is now my favorite take on Tails. I prefer him to all his previous designs and quite frankly;

Sonic-Boom-TV-Tails.jpg

I love how he finally has equipment, eyes, goggles, etc, that are proportioned to actually fit each other. I know it's a bit of a nitpick, but I love how his goggles are actually practical and would be able to rationally fit over his eyes, contrary to Riders and Black Knight.biggrin.png

I think Tails looks cuter in Sonic Boom than other Sonic games. He's a lot more likable now.

I think the key problem with X Sonic is an exacerbated version of what some complain about the games version of that point in time; he is TOO positive. He's rarely challenged outside a getting the Worf Effect a handful of times in the show, and is thoroughly the Ace in terms of personality, and the reckless attitude that is stated several times over never actually comes back to haunt him (or alternatively it does, it pivots the events of both seasons, but is never really brought down on him). Pretty much no one can rival him outside the similarly glorified version of Shadow, being reduced to either a Harmless Villain or the victim of endless Complainer Is Always Wrong aesops (poor Knuckles).

The only time Sonic really got shown in a somewhat flawed light was the cruise episode. This is may be a key reason this was one of very few episodes that focused on his character primarily, rather than him through the eyes of another more flawed and rounded character.

I kinda wish the cartoons would get some sort of balance with Sonic in terms of his positive and negative aspects. It seems he's either Captain Planet or Wheeler. tongue.png

unpopular: I want King Sonic to return to the comics or even be in the games. I really love him. Hes cocky, athletic, strong, caring, sefless and hes laid back. But more on selfless he puts other before himself more than now and he bonds with his kids. To be honest hes my ldeal guy.

Please tell me im not the only one who liked him?! Yeah he was weak and I hate that but he had prioties and he was still the smartass I know. Why does everyone hate him so much?

I think it's the whole 'Sonic is meant to be a free spirit' imagery getting compromised so he can be with Sally. I admit I don't think the idea of him being tied down with the monarchy suits him at all and seems more just fanservice for those who want the pairing.

Unpopular Opinion: The classic system of losing all your rings after one hit needs to be done away with. I don't enjoy scrambling to get a few of the rings I dropped just to avoid certain death. It's annoying because it breaks the flow of the game and leaves me on edge for the rest of the act, something I am not a fan of.

Unpopular Opinion: The classic system of losing all your rings after one hit needs to be done away with. I don't enjoy scrambling to get a few of the rings I dropped just to avoid certain death. It's annoying because it breaks the flow of the game and leaves me on edge for the rest of the act, something I am not a fan of.

It's even worse in Rush, where on how many times you get hit, the rings will fly all over the place and will be harder to get.

I don't get why a character needs to look strong in order to be strong...or why they need any amount of bulk to them in order to be taken seriously as a possible threat. That's just a stereotype that I don't agree with. Knuckle's original design was suppose to be an example of Huge amount of strength in a Small package in a way and he really only used his strength as a way to protect the Master Emerald from un-trust worthy people and keep them off the Floating Island...he's not suppose to be a muscle bound brute, only good for using his strength and muscle to intimidate or mindlessly beat up people or things he doesn't like.

The funny thing is, I wouldn't mind if Knuckles looked like he had more upper body strength. Boom, however, overdoes it a lot.

I've been trying to get myself used to it, but the only thing that lets it slide is it being an alternate universe. While it's not that big an issue for me, even then he still looks off.

Unpopular opinion? I think X Sonic is the best Sonic outside of the games next to OVA Sonic.

But  I won't deny that X's portrayal of him is really quite divisive to me. Still, it’s very much on the ‘love’ side. X Sonic is my favorite incarnation of Sonic outside of the games. But then thinking about it, it’s not like there’s a whole lot of competition considering other Sonic incarnations are fucked-up and are Sonic-in-name-only anyway to me i.e Archie, SatAM, Fleetway. Only OVA Sonic is the other lovable Sonic next to game and X Sonic to me.

On the positive side, he’s a genuinely nice guy with a very good heart and can be very kind and sweet. I love it when Sonic is like that, it really appeals to me regarding his character. Stand-out moments to me are;

- His silent acknowledgement in episode 7 of Cream’s loneliness without her mother and her lack of access to particularly pretty flowers to make her flower crowns. So he goes on a long run trying to locate a garden in the mountains for the sake of bring little Cream a bouquet so she can make the best ones :>

- His efforts to repair Amy’s shell bracelet when Eggman’s Serpenter robot smashed it. He obviously regarded that gift with a lot of value as evidenced by how shocked he was when presented with it and when you think about it, he’d logically have to get himself wet in order to seek-out the cowrie shells necessary to restore the bracelet. That says something.

- He took it upon himself to take Helen to the island of flowers in episode 14 upon learning that her father was too busy working hard for her sake to do so. That episode was so freaking heartwarming :3

But then on the other side of the coin, he can be incredibly lazy, very very reclusive and has come out with lines that really rub me the wrong way along with certain questionable actions such as deserting Amy in episode 42 and then racing Sam instead of going on the promised date and saying that it’s OK for Eggman to crush her with his grabbing claw in the SA2 adaptation. Not to mention the way he considered his friendships with those other than Chris expendable, prepared to stay on Earth with the little brat in episode 51 to satiate his selfishness and forsake the friends he’s known for far longer. Douche :<

But as I said, these moments don’t really outweigh X Sonic’s positivities to me and he’s very much on the ‘love’ side. Another thing about X Sonic is that he is half of my OTP. Specifically SonAmy in the X continuity.

Did I mention how insanely adorable he can be/Can look?

Cute cute cute cute cute!

Ahem *Regains dignity* ... I'll always have a soft spot for this Sonic even if certain aspects of him rub me the wrong way.

I have a soft spot for the X portrayal for the same reasons you mentioned, plus he's accurately cocky and seeing Sonic act 'sleepyheaded', is kind of cute and him being harsh is funny, apply water to effected area.

Buuut, yes his laziness and jerkishness does seem uncharacteristic and annoying,while I'll accept some this seems a bit excessive,but there's a bigger problem I think: I don't know if the writers even intended him to come across that way.

It's likely that Sonic being considered a lazy jerk that ignored his friends wasn't something they even wanted us to entertain. That it was was just the unintended by-product of Sonic's character revolving around Chris Thorndyke, or being conveniently distracted until the last moments of the episode.

Pretty sure this is as unpopular as it gets but, I think sonic and the black knight is a good example of how combat during normal sonic gameplay can work without slowing down the pace, seriously it gives you a good amount of options for dispatching enemies and such and even though the motion controls could be better, they still work well enough (though that slow jump that sonic needs to do before swinging can be pretty jarring) and honestly I think the system could work really well if they took it off rails and made it kind of like a mix of the parkour gameplay (imagine jumping off of walls and then slashing through an enemy) and the boost/adventure gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Opinion: I like Sonic's design in Sonic Boom more than all the others. The scarf is nice, and the blue arms aren't a big deal for me. In fact, I paid no mind to them before it was pointed out. Heck, I like Knuckles' design as well.

Popular Opinion: They should be kept in the show and anything based on it, if only so the fans don't flip their crap.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpopular Opinion: I like Sonic's design in Sonic Boom more than all the others. The scarf is nice, and the blue arms aren't a big deal for me. In fact, I paid no mind to them before it was pointed out. Heck, I like Knuckles' design as well.

Popular Opinion: They should be kept in the show and anything based on it, if only so the fans don't flip their crap.

Hence the alternate canon, so fans who don't like the designs/show/game can pretend it doesn't exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Opinion: While I still find Wii Colors gameplay acceptable (not a Wisp fan, sorry), I like the DS version way more. Not only I like the Rush gameplay, but at least I can see characters INTERACT with each other, and I got a laugh from some of said interactions.

like Silver criticizing the Donut level for being nothing like his future, or the Chaotix and Sonic thinking that Espio went invisible when the poor guy was just standing off-screen. Also, Cubot and Orbot actually doing something instead of just being there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Popular and/or unpopular:

I don't find the last goodbye between Sonic and Elise moving or sad or heartwarming or whatnot.

The poor princess was never allowed to cry from her childhood on, and she arguably lived a very boring and emotionless life.

It's justifiable for Elise to cry and be desperate at the though that she will never meet Sonic (the person who changed her life for the better) again, if she put out the flame. I found... pretty insensitive of Sonic to say "just smile" to Elise. At least, he should have show more sympathy to the girl that brought him back to life...

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion?: I really, really don't like Sonic Colors. Why? Well, my paisanos, let me explain.

First off, let me just say that I don't entirely hate the game. The graphics and music are really nice and the story had a nostalgic feel to me. It reminded me of old Saturday morning cartoons I used to watch as well as old GameCube games I used to play when I was younger, so i at least enjoyed that. Everything else, is just bleh.

The issue begins when you first start playing the game. You start off running in a straight line, and it seems like the controls are fine, but once you veer to the left and then to the right the controls just get really wobbly. This was really jarring and I felt like the control wasn't all that smooth. It was especially troublesome when I replayed levels for the Red Rings in which i felt like I couldn't get much control over Sonic, especially at high speeds. Of course, this isn't that big of a problem since most of the game is from a 2D perspective, but once you go back to 3D it really feels unnatural. At least to me. 

Next up, the Wisps. I didn't like the Wisps. Stripping Sonic of his natural abilities he learned throughout past games and giving them to aliens as powerups in certain levels just didn't work for me. Not only are they removing classic abilities such as the spindash and light-speed dash, but they are also available to you for a limited time because they are simply powerups. Now, wisps like the laser and rocket were original, yes, but they didn't add all that much to the gameplay and seemed unnecessary. Not only that, but it really made Sonic feel more like Mario and I didn't feel as if I was experiencing an adventure with Sonic. Which brings me to the next point.

The level design. The levels themselves, although they have a few loops and slopes, mostly comprise of 2D block platforming. The game didn't at all feel Sonic to me and was like a watered down version of Mario. Every level felt the same, as in all I did was jump from square platform to square platform with the occasional loop here and there. Later acts especially feel dull when they're just re-tweaked versions of earlier acts. As for the bosses, they were pathetic. I know Sonic games are aimed towards kids, but in past games I felt like there was a nice amount of challenge with the bosses. They weren't impossible, but at the same time, not piss easy. I hate how quick and easy the boss fights are and just how lacking they are. The only one I find memorable is the boss from Starlight Carnival/Sweet Mountain. And there it is. There's my other problem with the bosses. They get reused. We don't have nearly as big as a variety as past games, which makes the bosses feel even more of a joke. 

Now, last but not least, the double jump/homing attack. Yeah, this should've been in the controls part but I felt it deserved it's own little paragraph. One of my biggest issues with this game was the whole double jump/homing attack. Because both are assigned to the same button, it is very easy to get thrown off. You see, I have no problem with giving Sonic a double jump. Want more precision for your platforming? Sure, go ahead. Why not add a little "safety net" for players. But for Chao's sake, do not assign it on the same button as the homing attack! I cannot count the amount of times I wanted to just simply homing attack on an enemy, but Sonic for whatever reason decided to double jump, leading me in a bottomless pit, even though the target for the homing attack was on the enemy! This was especially a problem at Asteroid Coaster. And whoever thought Act 2 was a good idea can burn in flames. The player should never be penalized because of poor control choice. And I know you all are gonna say that it was on the Wii and the Wii remote doesn't have many buttons so they had to assign it to the A button. No, a thousand times no. They could have easily ditched the support for single Wii remote use and have gone with having a Nunchuck necessary to play the game. Because if you use the Nunchuck, Classic Controller, heck even the GameCube controller, you'll have a free button available for the homing attack separately. 

Now from here on out, these can be seen as little nitpicks, but they did make me dislike the game even more than I already do, so away I go. For once, a Sonic game felt way too short. And just because a game is short, doesn't mean it's bad, just look at Generations or any of the classic 2D games. Those were short but fun enough to reaplay again and again. That's not the case with Sonic Colors. When a game is $50 (mind you this was full retail price on the Wii) I expect to get a big adventure, a Mario Galaxy in a way. When I beat the game, I said to myself "Really? That's it?". It was just underwhelming. Secret Rings to me had a more satisfying feeling when I beat the game. And although I enjoyed Colors' story, I'll admit, I was expecting more out of it. I was expecting to see more of the Wisps in danger and a little more action between Sonic and Eggman, so I was a bit let down when all we got was around 30 minutes of cutscenes, all filled with mostly silly dialogue.

Again, like I stated these are nitpicks of mine, and my complaints do come from me having expected much more out of this game, but with all the hype around it, how could I have not expected a lot? I'm sure I'll get flamed for what I just wrote, but these are my honest opinions towards Colors. It just didn't do it for me. I'm sure there are a few things that I forgot to mention, but overall I think you get the main idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpopular/Popular? Opinion:

Even though Japanese isn't exactly my thing, SONIC DRIVE, the opening of Sonic X, is one of the few good things I think came out of the show, alongside its version of the Chaotix and Eggman, the third season (what can I say? I found Cosmo cute) , "Shining Road", and the comic once Ian took over (seriously, El Grand Gordo is such a strange yet interesting spin on the doctor). The rhytm is catchy, and its lyrics, once translated, really catch Sonic's philosophy on life even though Sonic X Sonic may not be my favourite version of the blue pincushion ( that place goes to pre-Colors Game!Sonic and Aosth!Sonic, but, holy Chaos, is he light-years ahead of Fleetway Sonic.)

Here goes, gonna get murdered :P

I'd rather play 06 than Unleashed, and play it a lot more often. I just don't get the appeal of Unleashed really, and I love Colours and Generations.

Here goes, gonna get murdered tongue.png

I'd rather play 06 than Unleashed, and play it a lot more often. I just don't get the appeal of Unleashed really, and I love Colours and Generations.

No need to fret. Here comes my unpopular to the max opinion!!

Sonic '06 honestly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I'd play it instead of 3D Blast, Spinball, Drift, Colors, Adventure 2, Advance 3 and Chronicles any day! It never made me frustrated and the game was fun enough to replay more than once (although I do agree the loading can be excessive in the final story), unlike some other games.

Here goes, gonna get murdered tongue.png

You know what? Don't feel alone, because as much as I wanted to deny it, I think that's slowly but surely happening to me. And it's not just Unleashed, but also the Storybook series, and - dare I say it - even Adventure 2.

Now don't get the wrong idea. I'm not saying that those games are actually worse then Sonic '06. I still consider and recognise '06 as nothing other than the worst of the lot, and it's still the bottom of the barrel for me when I'm looking at it from that angle. But at the same time... you know how I keep bringing up the comparison of how Black Doom is funny to me, whereas Mephiles and Eggman Nega are just annoying? There's a similar scenario here. Sonic '06 is beyond horrible, tragically so due to the reputation it left upon the entire franchise, yet because of how utterly backwards it is - gameplay, plot or otherwise - I can't help but find it all to be a little humorous, like a game equivalent of The Room. Whereas with SA2/Unleashed/the Storybooks... yeah, they're more successful with things that '06 tried to do, but as a result of that, they don't really interest me all that much, aside from the odd one or two little concepts/scenes/etc.

When you have a game that you love so much, you can go on and on about how much you adore it and have a jolly good laugh about that. And when you have a game that - regardless of your own level of dislike, assuming you have any for it - is generally considered to be laughably bad, you can have a jolly good laugh about that. But when you have a game that you're mostly indifferent to with maybe a little touch of dislike... you're stuck. There's nothing to have a jolly good laugh over, you know?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic '06 honestly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I'd play it instead of 3D Blast, Spinball, Drift, Colors, Adventure 2, Advance 3 and Chronicles any day! It never made me frustrated and the game was fun enough to replay more than once (although I do agree the loading can be excessive in the final story), unlike some other games.

I actually like Genesis Spinball, despite never making it past Toxic Caves.

But yeah, agree with you on SA2, Advance 3, and 3D Blast.

I feel like 06 is fascinating because of how it was developed, how misguided it was, how glitchy it is. But yet, I come back to it. There's quite a few things I like (the open ended thing of some of the levels, being able to bounce enemies to kill them really fast, playing as different characters), and if this were a finished and less retarded game, I'd probably not mind it at all. I kind of feel similar to SomeCallMeJohnny, where he kind of enjoys some parts of it. That's my line too.

I'm so neutral towards Unleashed (some parts are awesome and some terrible, but it averages out to okay) that I don't really have any interest in it, especially as it isn't, to me, very engaging until the last few levels. this is why I'm more fond of Generations too.

Oh, but 06 isn't as bad as people say, sure, but the difference between what people say and how bad it actually is is negligible, really. It's still crap (but I do like Mephiles because of how hammy he is and how he tells loads of "technically true" stuff when manipulating Silver. It's like they put thought into the writing).

This type of thing mainly relies on a person's tolerance of what "negatives" comes from the games they play...it will never be the same for everyone because everyone thinks differently.

Also besides Sonic Colors(eh)...Sonic Adventure 2(eh), and Advance 3....the rest of those games range from average to mediocre or just terribly dull and uninteresting in a general view.

Unpopular opinion:

Sonic X is not as bad as people say it is. Sure, the animation was terribad, and Chris was an awful, awful character, but it still felt like I was watching a Sonic cartoon. Mind you, I still think it was a mediocre show, except Season 3 / Series 2, which I liked (even though the animation managed to be even more terrible). Also, I watched Season 3 / Series 2 in French, subtitled in English / Italian, never watched the 4Kids version, so I don't exactly know what mess they made. I loved Eggman in that season and its interactions with the Chaotix. Then again...the worst Sonic cartoon I may think of is Sonic Underground, and I still got a kick out of that one. Satam, for what it was, was also interesting, except its version of Robotnik, a blank 90's villain with the Robotnik name painted on it (not even that in the Italian dub, where he was known as Dr. Nick, like in Aosth and Underground).

• Thumbs Up 1

Disregarding the Werehog shimdig, I believe that Sonic Unleashed had a wealth of very good stages in the second half of the game. Once you get to Dragon Road the levels - while still being linear - seem to be less about holding forward and feeling the sensation of going fast and more about testing your skills as a player. I also felt the levels post this point harboured some good variety and again, while still linear, did have multiple paths.

The first portion of the game felt a bit boring and easy to me. But Dragon Road, parts of Arid Sands, Empire City, Jungle Joyride and parts of Eggmanland were both challenging and satisfying.

Unpopular or popular opinion? I hate how 4kids morphed Eggman's villainy and attitude in their horrid Sonic X dub.

I’ve always been of the view that 4kids’ Sonic X dub was terrible. Granted Sonic X certainly wasn’t a particularly brilliant show in Japanese but then it’s an even bigger shame that 4kids got their hands on it and ruined it further.

But one of the things that irritates me in particular is their morphing of Eggman’s attitude in episode 67 AKA the one with “Dark Super Sonic” in it. Eggman’s whole speech to Black Narcissus regarding hostages and not hurting them rubs a lot of fans the wrong way from what I have observed and as a result many of them discount X Eggman pretty much entirely because of it.

The problem here is that Eggman’s preachy hypocritical speech is purely a dub invention and he said no such thing in the original. It was Bocoe and Decoe that expressed discontent about Narcissus’ actions. Eggman even admits that he’s taken hostages as well but actively injuring them to get a rise out of his enemies is beyond him. This is true as well. Eggman never laid a hand on Chris in episode 26 and never harmed his hostages in episode 47. That’s not villain decay, that’s simply acting pragmatic to get what he wants. He doesn’t have to injure or kill his hostages to show that he meant business especially when he could get Sonic and the military to save him the hassle by firing on him and taking-out hostages when they do so.

X Eggman wants to 'win' his way. Another example of screwing-around with Eggman's attitude is episode 26 in which Eggman is so badly 're-characterized' that he's downright contradictory. Originally he was pretty afraid of his loss of control over E-99 and only wanted to kick Sonic around a little bit. So when Sonic keeps attacking even though he's already grievously injured and E-99 keeps pasting him into buildings and the floor, Eggman is pretty horrified. In the dub, he expresses both ruthlessness and reluctance. Which skews what he's doing.

4kids’ dub is merely a bad adaptation that ignores and screws-around with plot points and characters lines to often get across things that aren’t in the original version. Therefore it’s not a reputable source to judge how characters truly act or their intentions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure hating anything about the 4Kids Sonic X dub or 4Kids in general is a very popular opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1