Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

Yes, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) what's they're saying is that the future shouldn't be in peril EVERY time Silver visits the present, because then it would get old. The only reason they would put Silver in a game anymore is because he's part of the plot, which would mean he's there on behalf of the future. If that becomes a standard, it would get really old. Some would argue that it already has with Rivals 1&2, and Colors DS.

I wouldn't mind seeing it be handled the way Generations did though, where he'd be basically pulled from his time because of ___________ (in this case, the Time Eater). Now that's not to say that every time it has to be some menacing monster, but just some other BS that Sega can come up with I guess, just not to make it stale.

In Sonic Colors DS has Silver state that the future is like this: "The sky is blue and everyone has a smile on their face". Ironically, that statment is just a reworded version of how he described the present in Dusty Desert in Sonic 06.

Does it get old for the world to be in peril every time Sonic shows up in a game?

I think the key difference between Sonic and Silver on that front is Sonic actually succeeds in stopping things from going south (sometimes with difficulty). Silver's future is always in utter ruins no matter what he does, which makes him come off as incompetent and also shakes the suspension of disbelief in that this is more like a Terminator plot than something reasonable.

I suppose I could give him the benefit of the doubt and assume whatever hero came after Sonic is the one who's really incompetent and thus allowed a bad future to happen. Shadow must be a poor, poor successor (since he'd be fit and healthy while everyone else is old and gray, I'd assume he's Sonic's "heir" of sorts).

Sonic is also the main character, so he gets some exemptions. A double standard, but that's just how it is. The main character has an excuse to take over the plot because he's the main character. Side characters get more scrutiny.

Does it get old for the world to be in peril every time Sonic shows up in a game?

That's not really a fair comparison if I'm honest, it's a Sonic game. Plus, there's context for that stuff (different villains, places, times, etc). With Silver in Colors DS, I don't even recall we got an explanation. By Rivals 2, it was kinda boring to see that he came back for a third time to deal with something that's affected his past.

With Sonic he encounters these things differently. Being accused of robbing a jewelry store, threat letters from Eggman, beast attacking his party, etc. Silver has had the same reason all three times, and no reason the fourth. That was only acceptable though because he wasn't a part of the actual main plot, and wasn't that relevant honestly in that game.

• Thumbs Up 1

With Sonic he encounters these things differently. Being accused of robbing a jewelry store, threat letters from Eggman, beast attacking his party, etc. Silver has had the same reason all three times, and no reason the fourth. That was only acceptable though because he wasn't a part of the actual main plot, and wasn't that relevant honestly in that game.

I think this more or less nails it. While the conflict is generally the same (Sonic vs. Eggman), there's a lot of variables that make each iteration different. Silver doesn't really get much besides "the future is destroyed," with [satan/archdemon expy here] being the culprit. Knuckles has evolved (somewhat shakily) beyond his ignorant Guardian role, surely Silver could evolve as well?

For me, it kind of does. I don't have a problem with the game telling a story, but does it always have to entail saving the world from destruction?

For me, it kind of does. I don't have a problem with the game telling a story, but does it always have to entail saving the world from destruction?

This is ultimately why having a bigger Rogues gallery would do wonders for Sonic. Eggman has the same goal every time - conquering the world. While some times he's more limited in scope and just wants to own his own city rather than the world... it really doesn't change much.

We need recurring villains who can be switched out to keep every other villain fresh... Where's the greedy businessman who just wants money? The tyrant who already rules a country until Sonic steps foot in their little dictatorship one day? The coocoo villain who just wants to blow it all up? Etc. There are many different angles, and while Eggman can remain the primary antagonist it wouldn't hurt to switch him out with someone else.

This is ultimately why having a bigger Rogues gallery would do wonders for Sonic. Eggman has the same goal every time - conquering the world. While some times he's more limited in scope and just wants to own his own city rather than the world... it really doesn't change much.

We need recurring villains who can be switched out to keep every other villain fresh... Where's the greedy businessman who just wants money? The tyrant who already rules a country until Sonic steps foot in their little dictatorship one day? The coocoo villain who just wants to blow it all up? Etc. There are many different angles, and while Eggman can remain the primary antagonist it wouldn't hurt to switch him out with someone else.

You mean the sneaky bounty hunter who has a thing for artifacts, we had one of those, Nack, sadly we havent seen him for years, and there is also the Battle Bird Armada, who can be a force to battle and rival eggman if they were ever brought back, or even the Rogues like to challenge eggman if he had something he was after

There have been other villians, those that could actualy be developed into something that could help mix up plots, IF they were to ever actualy bring them back

I wouldn't mind either of those making a return, though as was said in the interview with Iizuka (if memory serves), if they were brought back they'd be essentially different characters meeting Sonic for the first time despite their aesthetic similarities.

I wouldn't mind Eggman having a rival for world domination, however. The prospect of Sonic and Eggman not always fighting and in fact teaming up at times to maintain the balance of power actually has interesting possibilities, as Lost World shows us

Or heck, just villains who aren't quite as grandiose as Eggman, such as Nack. Why does every villain have to be macro in goals? Surely there are plenty of petty and middle-tier villains Sonic can thrash from time to time as well?

Eggman Nega is the type who wants to blow it all up. 

The physics aren't the issue here, it's that the idea itself of slowing down and fighting enemies in any Sonic game has never worked well to me and many others, so why keep bringing it back? Just make him play like a normal Sonic character, but with whatever abilities they can give him to make it different than just Sonic.

Kinda like Sonic 3&K, or a more modern example being SM3DW.

Then we could have it like Silver's rival battle in Generations. Being able to use psychokinesis as you pass by objects at supersonic speeds and hurling them at enemies that are approaching. Or even using the psychic knife as an even faster attack.

I wouldn't mind either of those making a return, though as was said in the interview with Iizuka (if memory serves), if they were brought back they'd be essentially different characters meeting Sonic for the first time despite their aesthetic similarities.

I wouldn't mind Eggman having a rival for world domination, however. The prospect of Sonic and Eggman not always fighting and in fact teaming up at times to maintain the balance of power actually has interesting possibilities, as Lost World shows us

Or heck, just villains who aren't quite as grandiose as Eggman, such as Nack. Why does every villain have to be macro in goals? Surely there are plenty of petty and middle-tier villains Sonic can thrash from time to time as well?

And who also cause him a lot of annoyance as well, not just be thrashed, and also gives him trouble with the emeralds as well

I don't really like the idea of bringing back bit villians like the rogues to replace Eggman.  Most of the one off random villians had their stories told in the game they appeared in, apart from guys like Nack I guess who showed up too early to have a big part.

It'd be better to a.) think up a new threat instead of resuing old ones or b.) just think up more interesting schemes for Eggman. Robotnik is an amazing character and I think they'd be foolish to put him on the bench for someone else. He's a classic villain like Bowser. He doesn't get old.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd be better to a.) think up a new threat instead of resuing old ones or b.) just think up more interesting schemes for Eggman. Robotnik is an amazing character and I think they'd be foolish to put him on the bench for someone else. He's a classic villain like Bowser. He doesn't get old.

I must concur. I'm amazed he doesn't give up on world domination for a short bit in favor of something more achievable and under the radar. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to go legal with his activities and try to accrue power in third world nations, for example. Doubly so if he makes use of his clearly vast amounts of money to win over the local populace, thus making Sonic look like the bad guy.

It can be inferred that Eggman fits into the powerful crime boss/corrupt corporate executive trope based on how easily he rebuilds himself from time to time, but I think he'd enjoy a lot more success if he changed his tactics from basically trying to zerg rush the entire globe.

I must concur. I'm amazed he doesn't give up on world domination for a short bit in favor of something more achievable and under the radar. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to go legal with his activities and try to accrue power in third world nations, for example. Doubly so if he makes use of his clearly vast amounts of money to win over the local populace, thus making Sonic look like the bad guy.

Kinda like that old Sonic Jam video where he tricks the city into thinking Sonic is a menace. With "To be continued.." at the end. About time for a continuation? Haha

Then we could have it like Silver's rival battle in Generations. Being able to use psychokinesis as you pass by objects at supersonic speeds and hurling them at enemies that are approaching. Or even using the psychic knife as an even faster attack.

Sure, I'd be down with that [insert obligatory "as long as it's fast" remark here].

To be honest I never really minded Eggman taking over the world until you brought up those three ideas. I'd love to see some sort of businessman character in the future, or the cooky "blow it up" kinda guy. Thing is though, I don't really mind Eggman because it's always different (to some extent). It's taking over the world, but maybe it's with a giant ARK canon, or a mythological beast (several times...), or some mysterious race, or whatever. Most times if not often, that just sets the general mood while you go on little tasks in-between.

In Unleashed you had to save the Professor, and there was Chip's memory. In Lost World, Tails get's kidnapped and the Deadly Six plan on blowing the whole planet up anyways. In Colors you also wanted to focus on saving the Wisps that turned into Nega Wisps as well as defeat Eggman. Sure it would be nice to go with some overall newer ideas, but I'm fine how it is now.

Kinda like that old Sonic Jam video where he tricks the city into thinking Sonic is a menace. With "To be continued.." at the end. About time for a continuation? Haha

More or less. Any good villain tries to win over the hearts and minds of the public, I think. Sun Tzu said ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle, but in winning without ever fighting. If you can win the majority of people over, bam, you've got that latter part down. For a hero, it can become a lot harder to be the good guy when everyone supports the bad guy.

I presume we'd see Sonic being a rebel in such a situation and fighting any authorities who side with Eggman however. A sort of SA2-like situation but one where he's genuinely culpable.

To be honest I never really minded Eggman taking over the world until you brought up those three ideas. I'd love to see some sort of businessman character in the future, or the cooky "blow it up" kinda guy. Thing is though, I don't really mind Eggman because it's always different (to some extent). It's taking over the world, but maybe it's with a giant ARK canon, or a mythological beast (several times...), or some mysterious race, or whatever. Most times if not often, that just sets the general mood while you go on little tasks in-between.

Assuming the Deadly Six, or at least a portion of them, return, we have the completely sociopathic villains to work with; presumably they'd also be reworked so they're not paper thin, as well.

We're still short banana republic dictators and crooked businessmen, however. Or even just lower-end criminals, what with Rouge going to the good side.

Frankly I'm amazed Eggman doesn't have any cronies in the United Federation... if that still exists in the continuity given SEGA constantly mixes and matches stuff. Though he probably does; it would explain Eggman's funding and the general ineptitude of GUN forces.

I think one of Sonic's biggest problems is the bad guy becomes a hero 90% of the time. It's led to the bloated cast that's associated with the franchise, which probably wouldn't be an issue if a lot of them were at least still antagonists in some way. For example: as Shadow serves GUN now, he could very well be an obstacle to Sonic if Sonic ever ends up outside the law. It makes for interesting conflict while also not destroying either's character development.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think one of Sonic's biggest problems is the bad guy becomes a hero 90% of the time. It's led to the bloated cast that's associated with the franchise, which probably wouldn't be an issue if a lot of them were at least still antagonists in some way. For example: as Shadow serves GUN now, he could very well be an obstacle to Sonic if Sonic ever ends up outside the law. It makes for interesting conflict while also not destroying either's character development.

That actually sounds cool in concept when I think about it. It's be cool changing things up, perhaps having Sonic framed for something big and having Shadow constantly after you in the game trying to catch you on behalf of GUN. Hell, why not bring in Team Dark in on the party? Would make sense since they work for GUN as well, so why not? Of course you've got the obligatory Tails and Eggman (with Orbot and Cubot please) since they seem to be the "must-have" with the modern games, and I can perfectly see Knuckles and Amy joining in on the fun (Amy having doubts about Sonic or even being the only one aside Tails to stick up for him, and Knuckles going up against Sonic and trying to turn him in).

Bam, concept for a game right there. There doesn't have to be a villain at all, just people getting in your way and the anonymous person who's framed Sonic. It's kind of a shame we're sticking with more basic and traditional stories lately. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

That actually sounds cool in concept when I think about it. It's be cool changing things up, perhaps having Sonic framed for something big and having Shadow constantly after you in the game trying to catch you on behalf of GUN. Hell, why not bring in Team Dark in on the party? Would make sense since they work for GUN as well, so why not? Of course you've got the obligatory Tails and Eggman (with Orbot and Cubot please) since they seem to be the "must-have" with the modern games, and I can perfectly see Knuckles and Amy joining in on the fun (Amy having doubts about Sonic or even being the only one aside Tails to stick up for him, and Knuckles going up against Sonic and trying to turn him in).

Bam, concept for a game right there. There doesn't have to be a villain at all, just people getting in your way and the anonymous person who's framed Sonic. It's kind of a shame we're sticking with more basic and traditional stories lately. :/

Sonic framed! bounty hunters would be crawling out of the woodworks! now that would be a good way to introduce some new pests, and reintroduce some old ones, imagine several of the bosses being bounty hunters hired both by GUN and eggman, now that would be interesting(and if a certian Weasel, Polar Bear, and Dynamite duck were to show up, even better!)

I'd say the problem is more in the lack of neutral characters. Everyone is either a hero or villain, with the former outweighing the latter. I think many of the characters (like Jet, Fang, and Team Dark) would benefit greatly from neutrality.

I'd say the problem is more in the lack of neutral characters. Everyone is either a hero or villain, with the former outweighing the latter. I think many of the characters (like Jet, Fang, and Team Dark) would benefit greatly from neutrality.

Team Dark is neutral.

They're kinda anti-heroes, at least I'd classify them as that. They're never really the ones to swoop in immediately to do the right thing, but they're there to help when they are directly involved. Other than that they just do whatever they need to do to get the job done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If there ever is a Sonic Adventure 3. I'd bring back E102-Gamma, his levels were ok in SA1.

I think Shade The Echnida, has potential which Sega have not utillised. I liked here in Sonic Chronicles The Dark Brotherhood.

I would love to see more Blaze.

And this:

I wander if they could give Silver another try, they have a much better engine now than they did in 06

Then again, I've never played '06...