Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Two Years Later

Soniman

I also remember the shitstorms to be had when the full level list was leaked, oh man...

Oh God, yes! The two main complaints were "Not Seaside Hill again!" and "Too many city levels!" (and...still are). People were suspicious over that too since I recall the first rumours of the level list were put on TSSZ. And then as the levels were slowly officially revealed, shit began to really hit the fan.

Oh God, yes! The two main complaints were "Not Seaside Hill again!" and "Too many city levels!" (and...still are). People were suspicious over that too since I recall the first rumours of the level list were put on TSSZ. And then as the levels were slowly officially revealed, shit began to really hit the fan.

I was disappointed but I saw it as a massive overreaction, I think I even made a post about it in that one thread when I was still new(er) here.

Although I would have preferred Egg Fleet to Seaside Hill still...meh.

Although I would have preferred Egg Fleet to Seaside Hill still...meh.

I agree. Egg Fleet had a great design, and would completely fill out for Generation's lack of airships.

• Thumbs Up 7

My main complaints about the level decisions were mostly for the 3DS version where they didn't take any portable titles in consideration. I really wanted to see levels like Sunset Park and Egg Rocket Zone. Otherwise, I didn't mind the levels that we eventually got.

I remember when Crisis city was leaked along with the other levels. SO.MUCH.RAGE. It was either that or people saying it wasn't actually gonna be a level. Then we heard that music and...well, what can I say.tongue.png

I still think Seaside Hill was a terrible choice though. the one game people say had the most varied wacky tropes minus seaside hill, and they pick Seaside hill. I was just like "wat..." Egg fleet would have made such a epic final dreamcast era level.

Edited by Riku

I love Sonic Generations. It is second only to the fabled Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The Modern game-play felt (by and large) perfected. I enjoyed how multifaceted the levels where as well the creativity that went into re-enacted the level themes in fun and interesting ways. The 3d sections where some fun that I have begun to deem the 2d sections increasingly unnecessary. In sum, it was impressed by the progression of sophistication in gameplay since Unleashed.

I was reading through some of the posts through here and noticed some heated contention about the story and the importance of story within sonic titles. As some posters hinted at, i think the conversation has to be framed more in terms of character interactions and plot (plot here being used here to mean how events progress and unfold the story of the game) more so than story. That being said, I do not wish to dissent from the overall sentiment that Generations had a poor plot and little and relatively shallow character interactions among the extended cast. In this respect the game left much to be desired, especially in view of the large cast.

That said, I did/do appreciate the subtle touches and allusions the story makes to the Sonic mythos at large. Despite not having much cross character dialogue the scene solidified and played on the roles and relationships previously established in the sonic mythos. Knuckles and Rouge still appear to have mutual interest in one another, Blaze and Cream have remained close friends, Shadow remains distant and dissimilar from the rest of the cast etc.

I also appreciated the fact that Generations was able to at least define the various characters, if only barely. This is the first Sonic game in which sonic has been accompanied by many of his friends since 06. I was particularly happy, with Knuckles being portrayed as a friendly rival of Sonics. He gives Sonic a lackluster compliment upon saving the day (which is contrasted with Amy's fierce adulation) in addition to making sure Sonic knows he did not need his help in being rescued from petrifaction if you rescue him as Modern.

Lastly here are a couple points I made in a short-lived thread I made a litle while ago:

I in no way regard Generations plot as being exceptional but I do feel often the disappointment of the game's plot hinders discussion on some of its plot points and sublties. Here here are a couple points I made in a short-lived thread I made a little while ago:

1.) The Progression of Sonic: ​I enjoyed how they actually made the boost a subject of plot involvement. Recall the scene when the two Sonic's are racing to the recently rejuvenated Chaos Emerald and Modern Sonic surpasses Classic Sonic when tapping in his unique ability to boost leaving Classic Sonic mesmerized. If I recall correctly, not even the Spin-Dash had that kind of plot attention to detail. Modern Sonic's ability to boost is a material instance of Sonic's physical abilities evolving over the course of history. The point is demonstrated by Modern Sonic's ability to defeat Perfect Chaos while in base form due to the Boost being able to replicate the water surface mobility of the Thunderbolt Attack from Sonic Adventure. Furthermore, Sonic developed not just in physical abilities but also in overall leadership intangibles. His coaching of Classic sonic particularly in the cut-scene leading up to the Final Boss displayed Modern Sonic's wisdom acquired steadily over the course of his many adventures.

2.) The deterioration of Eggman: The juxtaposition between Classic Eggman and Modern Eggman indicate subtly that Eggman's moral character and sanity has noticeably deteriorated over the course of time. Modern Eggman is far more domineering, insulting, impatient and overall more nasty than Classic Eggman (Robotnik). Furthermore, Robotnik's rhetorical question, "Will I really get that crazy?" as well as his quickness to resign and entertain the possibility of living a normal life as a teacher upon learning of Modern Eggman's countless failures imply initially Eggman was once more sensible and sane than he is now. As it is in the present, Eggman is irrevocably fixated on destroying Sonic and has become increasingly blinded to the light of reality as time progresses.

I never cared about the amount of city levels. I just wanted a stage from the first half of Sonic 3 & Knuckles! :(

I never cared about the amount of city levels. I just wanted a stage from the first half of Sonic 3 & Knuckles! sad.png

Oh yes, that little thing...

...I... I laughed when I found out it has been snubbed in both versions barring the Big Arms boss fight becuase of how overhyped Sonic 3's importance had been before and how people were being hypocrites by treating it and S&K as two games for that purpose when they usually insist on it them one game. I am a meanie.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even a year later, this game is still wonderful. Although its charm and brick shitting amount of hype which kinda makes it lose a couple of points from me. Modern's Gameplay is still great and I just adore Classic's gameplay, and I love to replay the levels over and over.If there is one thing I hate, it was the horrid overuse of first levels, and its worst if you combine both versions of the game.You've got Green Hill, Mushroom Hill, Emerald Coast, City Escape, Seaside Hill, and Tropical Resort, thats a third of the damn roster if you combine the games!

and i still cant beat time eater btw

Edited by Enderwoman

This is what I remember most about It was a great time for this board. Slightly stressful for me a a couple of judges but a great time. I do wish to do another tournament with the next major Sonic game though.

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

star_big.png

POPULAR

Welcome to the 1st Sonic Stadium Speedrun Tournament!!!

Sponsored by BOOOOOOOSH Processing Inc & Come at me BRO!

~

The Judges: Eternal X, StrickerX-mas, Professor Zolo, KrazySanta14, redhellc, Classic Hedgehog Boosts, ReindeerHunter297, MoDeRn Frokeggnog3,

~

As you may have known, a few of us have been advertising and talking about a Speedrun tournament for Sonic Generations and here it is. We're starting the sign ups now for the ones who want to get in early.

~

Tournament Begins:December 2nd, Friday

Tournament Registration CLOSED.

~

How to win this tournament? Pretty simple. Be the gamer(speedrunner) with the best time at the end.

~

2 Sonics - 2 Ways to Play - 2 Tourneys - Double the Fun.

~

That's right. After feedback from everyone we're doing 2 Tourneys. One for Classic Sonic and One for Modern Sonic! What is your forte? Classic Sonic stages OR Modern Sonic stages!

~

YOU CAN SELECT UP TO 3 CLASSIC SONIC STAGES TO PLAY AND 3 MODERN SONIC STAGES!

It doesn't matter if it's Classic Green Hill and Modern Green Hill in the choices.

~

Okay with that out of the WAY let's explain the RULEZ!!!

~

General Rulez!

1.No Breaking the Stage

2. No 3D in 2D and vice verse.

3. No slide quick step glitch (I heard this was not even in the game, if it is, please let us know)

4. Spam-dash and SSDD (snake spin dash drift) is available to use.

5. Pictures/video or didn't happen(Pictures of the Result Screen will be just fine)

6. Any weird time, cheating, giving false pics will result in elimination and being banned for the remainder of the tournament.

7. No SKILLS ALLOWED!

~

Time Rulez! & Everyone VS Everyone!

Okay pay a little attention in this one. Obviously when you make a Tourney and you have contestants from all the world time differences is something that can ruin it for everyone. The judges thought of a way to make it fair for everyone as much as possible!

You're gonna have 1 WEEK to make your best run in the stage and post your time. What i mean?

~

Example: On the 2nd of December, the tourney will start with the full Classic era. That means that from the time you get the game until December 2nd you have time to make your best RUN and post it on anytime that weekend!

What is Everyone VS Everyone? That's really simple. It means that you will fight for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in a stage(classic or modern) against everyone! Best Time wins!

EDIT: Each era will be done on a weekend. (Classic era *2nd-5th*, Dreamcast era *9th-11th* & Modern era *16th-18th*)

~

How to proceed in the Finals! & How to become the Ultimate Speedrunner

Okay 9 stages/acts for Classic Sonic & 9 stages/acts for Modern Sonic. That means we're gonna have 18 finalists! 9 from each version. Now we can't leave it like this! so that means that from each version we're gonna have to see who is the Ultimate Classic Speedrunner & who is the Modern. How to decide that? By making the 9 finalists play in an Egg Shuttle way. You play all the levels and we the judges will add all the times together and find out the best! Simple right?

EDIT: On the last week of December, we will be finishing the tournament and on New Years Eve, we will be announcing the top 3 players.

~

On to the prizes!

We got a lot of nice stuff for you!(Unfortunately no Merchandise stuff)

What these prizes are? First of all you got the Contestant Budge for participating! If you get into the Finals you get a Finalist Budge!

Not only that the 1st 2nd & 3rd take a banner of the stage they compete in with their NAME on it.

And of course The Ultimate Speedrunners will take a special Banner, a wallpaper and an avatar!

~

Special thanks to Redhellc & Professor Zolo for making all the prizes!biggrin.png

Gamers:

Congrats to all 9 finalist. Yall really kicked some major ass. wink.png

Classic Era

-Christmas Ham (GHZ classic)

-Mclarnen6 (GHZ modern)

-Modern Frokeggnog3 (Chemical Plant Classic)

-corneliab (Chemical Plant modern)

-Crush40rocks (Sky Sanctuary classic)

-KrazySanta14 (Sky Sanctuary modern)

Dreamcast

-SegaDogTagz (Speed Highway Classic)

-mcsleepy (Speed Highway modern)

-Sayi50 (City Escape classic)

-Sayi50 (City Escape modern)

-Colarbear (Seaside Hill classic)

-Neon (Seaside Hill modern)

Modern

-SegaDogTagz (Crisis City modern)

-jordine (Crisis City classic)

-DustArma (Rooftop Run modern)

-SuperSayianmikito (Rooftop Run classic)

-SuperSayianmikito (Planet Wisp modern)

-The Boostin Reinhog (Planet Wisp classic)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The final times and Winners!!

Classic

• jordine 12:39:40
  • Sayi50 13:54:29
  • Modern Fro (I can't spell your name) 14:25:29
  • SuperSaiyanMikito 15:21:30
  • Sega DogTagz 19:04:63

Modern

• Sayi50 17:16:77
    • mcsleepy 17:51:50
    • SuperSaiyanMikito 17:52:67
    • Enigma2ME 20:34:72
    • SegaDogTagz 21:14:56

Sayi50 is the winner of the Modern Tournament while jordine is the winner of the Classic Tournament. What an intense tournament it was.

If I spell your name wrong please tell me.

Side note: If you change your name and decide not or forget to let me or a judge know. I will remove you from the tournament.

Side note #2: IF YOU POST ANYTHING NOT RELATED TO THE TOURNAMENT I WILL REMOVE YOU AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RE-JOIN. This is your warning.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Two years.

It's now been two years since this anniversary title boosted it's way into our hearts, has anything changed in the time between this year and now?

I still think it's a really good Sonic game and a nice love letter to the fans. How bout you?

Edited by Soniman

I still find Generations to be absolutely fantastic.

There are things I wish it had done differently, but overall it's still a beautiful love letter to the history of Sonic, and an absolute blast from start to finish. Well start to Time Eater anyway.

But yeah... I love the game a whole lot.

IMO, probably the best 3D Sonic game I've played. Levels play and look fantastic. Bosses are not very good, though. Seriously, fuck the Time Eater. Story is nothing to write home about either.

Overall, 8/10. Solid game for me.

Well, to keep things brief, let me just say that it's still one of my favorite Sonic games. I may have some hangups with its meh story, occasionally counterintuitive level design, and mediocre bosses (especially the Time Eater), but I still think it's tons of fun.

Edited by Komodin

Dull as dirt story, but the gameplay, both classic and modern, were just about perfect. I really, really hope Generations isn't the last we see of the boost gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

When people rag on the boss battles (sans Time Eater), I get really, really sad.

I mean, come on, how was Perfect Chaos not awesome?

Sonic Generations is absolutely phenomenal, and probably my favorite Sonic game of all time. I would have appreciated a more involved narrative, but it's not something that means much to me in the scheme of things. The gameplay and level design are both absolutely brilliant as far as I'm concerned. The game deserves more credit than it gets imo.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, can't belive two years passed so fast; it feels like yesterday I picked up a PS3 with Unleashed at Gamestop for my 17th birthday in attecpation for this great game...good times man :).

Looking back, I still feel, as I felt when I got Generations at launch, that it could have been so much more; a additional zone per era, extra acts ala Unleashed DLC, liminting the stage selection (to many dam city levels; would have loved Lost World, Emerald Coast, Kingdom Valley and Crimmsion Carnaval to be stages in the game :(), and a horrendous final boss (easly the worst in the series). Still, the game is one of the best Sonic's since 3 & K (when the game came out; Lost World looks like it might beat Generations quality :)), has some of the best level design out of the "boost" trilogy, and Classic Sonic, while flawed, was really fun to play as. Not to mention the great level designs (Modern Seaside Hill, Modern Sky Sancutary, Classic Crisis City and Modern City Escape were all wonderful levels :)) to boot.

I would love if Sonic Team were to take another crack at this type of aniversay game for Sonic's 25th birthday, but as it stands, this is by far my one of my favorite Sonic tittles and was a great sign of Sonic Team learning how to make Sonic work in 3d, improving even more with Lost World :).

When people rag on the boss battles (sans Time Eater), I get really, really sad.

I mean, come on, how was Perfect Chaos not awesome?

Sonic Generations is absolutely phenomenal, and probably my favorite Sonic game of all time. I would have appreciated a more involved narrative, but it's not something that means much to me in the scheme of things. The gameplay and level design are both absolutely brilliant as far as I'm concerned. The game deserves more credit than it gets imo.

It went down in 3 hits and had little to no chance of defeating you. The only awesome thing about it is the visual wank-fest

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 1