Awoo.

Why do people hate the modern sonic design so much?

theoriginaltrio3210

I think I am the oddball that was introduced to modern Sonic but prefers classic designs.

I just find the design that doesn’t look the part more clever in this situation. It better suits the idea that he is “small but mighty.”

Regardless of what the marketers were intending at the time; At the end of the day, a silly cartoon hedgehog with a cyclops eye and giant red shoes isn’t the first thing you’d expect to save the say, so you really don’t need muscle or slim him up to prove his accomplishments are impressive.

It also helps differentiate him from the sea of other cartoony mascots who sputter cliche 90's catchphrases every two seconds.

That said, there were a lot of scummy things about the Sonic 4's marketing campaign, but I suppose it is always more tempting to fans to focus on the character model since that is what they see throughout the game.

Edited by DuraV

Because it reinforces the idea that you need to be skinny to be attractive.

Hell if I know, I've only heard of 3 people who actually hate the modern design, so yeah.

I really don't think it is the actual design that people have a problem with. It is the image that specific design brings out.

Classic Sonic to any Sonic fan brings out an image of excellence and a Mario challenger. Sonic changed the gaming field back in the 1990's and many older Sonic fans grew up with him. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, you name it. People stuck with Sonic and some still have their Genesis plugged in. If you bring up Sonic today, you get a lot of different responses. Classic player? "He's awesome!" Modern Player? "He went down the gutter."

Today, Modern Sonic is still somewhat of a joke to many people. And to almost everyone, a step down from the classics. Look at Sonic the Hedgehog 4. SEGA used Modern Sonic in a successor to the originals. The fans who played the originals instantly saw Modern Sonic (the one with a trashy reputation) and a completely different system. The game no longer depended on speed and reward. It depended on homing attacks, speed boosters, flashy sequences, motion controls, and more. To top it off, the entire game was a rehash of the first couple games. SEGA basically took this "new Sonic" and took a shit on top of the classic games. This is Sonic 4?

Again with the bad memories of Sonic. Why is Sonic in a game with a hedgehog that uses guns? Why does he have this really annoying voice? Why is the gameplay so bad? What happened to those fantastic moments? None of the Modern games bring that feeling that Sonic 3&Knuckles bring. People want that Sonic that goes through NONscripted loops and uses momentum to get through the levels.

So basically...

It is less of a "design" issue and more of an "image" issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't think it is the actual design that people have a problem with. It is the image that specific design brings out.

Classic Sonic to any Sonic fan brings out an image of excellence and a Mario challenger. Sonic changed the gaming field back in the 1990's and many older Sonic fans grew up with him. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, you name it. People stuck with Sonic and some still have their Genesis plugged in. If you bring up Sonic today, you get a lot of different responses. Classic player? "He's awesome!" Modern Player? "He went down the gutter."

Today, Modern Sonic is still somewhat of a joke to many people. And to almost everyone, a step down from the classics. Look at Sonic the Hedgehog 4. SEGA used Modern Sonic in a successor to the originals. The fans who played the originals instantly saw Modern Sonic (the one with a trashy reputation) and a completely different system. The game no longer depended on speed and reward. It depended on homing attacks, speed boosters, flashy sequences, motion controls, and more. To top it off, the entire game was a rehash of the first couple games. SEGA basically took this "new Sonic" and took a shit on top of the classic games. This is Sonic 4?

Again with the bad memories of Sonic. Why is Sonic in a game with a hedgehog that uses guns? Why does he have this really annoying voice? Why is the gameplay so bad? What happened to those fantastic moments? None of the Modern games bring that feeling that Sonic 3&Knuckles bring. People want that Sonic that goes through NONscripted loops and uses momentum to get through the levels.

So basically...

It is less of a "design" issue and more of an "image" issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's more or less a design issue too cause people think if they dump Modern Sonic in favor of Classic Sonic it will suddenly make the games 'better'. Sega will probably modernized Classic Sonic and give him modern's moveset and abilities, a voice, etc. BTW on the voice thing, since when Sonic having a voice count as a 'bad memory'? I dunno about you guys but I was actually HAPPY to hear Sonic talk in the games. Those are some of the reasons why I liked the Adventure games over the classics back then.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

I love the modern design, it shows matureness in Sonic.

I don't see why some people hate his design I mean, do you see Mario fans complaining about his new design?

Its not mainly the classic fans bashing on Modern Sonic, its the new Sonic fans who try to act like they know so much about Sonic that they downsize him just so they can act cool, If you ask any true Sonic fan about Modern Sonic they'd say"he looks pretty cool for his design," a new Sonic fan,"eww green eyes. SEGA SONIC WAS EPIC! WHY U MAKE HIM HAVE GREEN EYES?".

Im just saying they try to hard to look like they know about Sonic.

I thought he was trying to say "Night of the Wind"... OK, back on topic.

I used to love Classic Sonic. But the influx of merchandise, the abuse of his stock art killed it for me. Modern all the way.

I don't see why some people hate his design I mean, do you see Mario fans complaining about his new design?

Suddenly I am imagining Nintendo wanting to make their lead mascot more "hip" and Gangster Mario becoming cannon...

I'd say Mario's not the best character to make a comparison to in this situation since I could see the fanbase sending death threats over a change in that direction.

---

Meh, I think the Sonic fan base has moved on to other things at this point, like Sally Acorn’s pants. 8D

Edited by DuraV

I never used to be fond of Classic and I despise his US design because it epitomizes all that is wrong about the "mascot with attitude" thing he pioneered in the west. That and the US design was incredibly ugly with shiny waxy fur, ass-face and bow-legs with feet pointing in different directions when standing and unevenly shaped pupils.

It was Generations that made me fall in love with Classic Sonic's design because it's a perfect rendition of JP Classic Sonic from back in the 90's and because he is uber adorable. It's just so good. I still prefer Modern Sonic's design though by a small margin because he looks slim and streamlined, making his speed and running look more believable and non-clunky and it's very cool-looking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do people hate the Modern Sonic design so much? Because these people have issues, notably being intolerant to change and hanging way too tightly onto nostalgia. It's ridiculous when you think about it considering the Modern Sonic design has been around way longer that the Classic Sonic design (14 years compared to 7 years).

When I came back to the Sonic series after being away for 15 years, Classic Sonic was all that I knew beforehand. I had no idea that Sonic had been redesigned, originally I thought him having green eyes and being skinnier and taller was some kind of error or artist's incorrect interpretation of him when I saw Modern Sonic for the first time. It didn't bother me none, as I actually liked that look for Sonic. I was very pleased to know that those changes weren't a mistake, but the fact that Sonic had undergone a redesign back in 1998. I accepted the changes as well as liked them. Now why others can't do this (at least the accepting part) is beyond me.

Although Classic Sonic was all I was familar with, I wouldn't go as far to say that I really liked the way that he looked. It was okay to me. The only redition of Classic Sonic that I actually really like is that of Sonic Generations. I definitely have a preference for Modern Sonic, and as I've said before, I think Sonic's green eyes compliment him well amid his color scheme, and I find the other changes to him fitting. And I love the fact that Modern Sonic talks too. The whole "silent protagonist" thing never appealed to me, although Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations did it well, as silly as I thought the concept was for him not to talk.

In the end I just find the hate and insult towards Modern Sonic petty and unjustified. Sometimes it's best to let things go and move on, especially when it comes down to the appearance of a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog with red shoes that runs really fast. I don't think it's anything to throw a fit about and generally speaking we should accept Sonic's current design for what it is, as that is the design Sega and Sonic Team wants to go with.

• Thumbs Up 9

Mario doesn't have a new design, its still the same even the artwork is still the same.

People who don't like the modern design are mentally handicapped or have undergone a case of mass hysteria. Either way, they should be ignored for the sake of progress

Hmph.

Edited by Palas
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mario doesn't have a new design, its still the same even the artwork is still the same.

In the SNES era, Mario was fat and his color scheme was different from the current one, Now, Mario is taller and a lot less chubby and his color scheme has changed also.If you don't believe me, search SNES Mario then search modern Mario.

Mario's still fat, his shirt's still red and his overalls are still blue. Aside from some small tweaks and refining/playing with the art style he's barely changed in ages.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the SNES era, Mario was fat and his color scheme was different from the current one, Now, Mario is taller and a lot less chubby and his color scheme has changed also.If you don't believe me, search SNES Mario then search modern Mario.

Slightly taller and less fat for the models animation, his Snes coloring was something they just chose for his palette. But he's still the same as he was before.

Don't get me wrong, I like the modern design, but the classic design is so much better and fits Sonic as a character more, at least to me. It strikes a balance between cute and badass that's hard not to love.

Personal preferences... eh. The way I see it, as long as the person doesn't act like a complete dick with expressing their opinion, I don't see why I should care for what they think is their "ideal" Sonic design.

If it means anything, I also prefer Sonic's current design over that of the Genesis Era. Not to say Classic!Sonic is utterly repugnant, but Current!Sonic's aesthetics are more appealing to me.

I don't know of a place that encourages strawmen, but it doesn't cease to be fun anyway. Well, let's see how I can respond to that.

EDIT: Oh, but before I start, this one comment

Why do people hate the Modern Sonic design so much? Because these people have issues, notably being intolerant to change and hanging way too tightly onto nostalgia. It's ridiculous when you think about it considering the Modern Sonic design has been around way longer that the Classic Sonic design (14 years compared to 7 years).

Very much came across as what I said up there. "These people have issues"... heh.

Edited by Palas

Alright. Look. Many people in this thread have expressed what I feel towards this problem. They presented possible reasons and causes, some talked about personal experiences.

That's all good, that's all fair. An argument that implies that a whole chunk of mankind is just plain stupid and/or unreasonable and/or crazy, however, isn't.

So, for example:

It's ridiculous when you think about it considering the Modern Sonic design has been around way longer that the Classic Sonic design (14 years compared to 7 years).

Two objections: a-) If the lifespan of Classic Sonic is enough to drive some people to insanity and ignore the time modern Sonic has been around, doesn't that make it someting else? Wouldn't that indicate some kind of unalienable charisma instead of, I don't know, black magic? b-) if it makes it so absurd, have you considered the possibility of that not being the reason at all, instead of using this as yet another nebulous offense to those you disagree with?

Well, Autosaver said it. It's a matter of image, not of visuals. If we want to be oh so technical about it, then yes, green is a good color for his eyes and so would have been yellow. In fact, the worst eye color you can give to a blue character is orange.

All of this happens not to matter at all, though. It's not that it's a huge detail, but it's the easiest to represent something everyone feels. You know, if a friend of yours suddenly started to use colored lenses, it would be hard to get used - now think of a character whose eyes fill some 60% of the face. That's something, right? I hope thi illustrates well, but it's still far from the point.

Why does nobody complain about Mario redesigns? Well, it must be because his style remains the same and the elements that sorround him have kept strong. Mario may even be somewhat different, but his world definitely isn't. In this sense, Mario went through a remaster rather than a redesign. It's not only Sonic that changed - everything around him changed. All of the essence. Green Hill Zone from Sonic Adventure 2 is the biggest evidence we have of that - trying to be a remake, some change were inevitable regarding colors, for example. It's much brighter. That may even be good, but the point is that it's different enough to be deemed unrecognizable.

Adapt? Tolerance...? Sonic is not my father, neither am I his. I'm not in love with him, he doesn't buy my groceries. I don't owe him money, I have no appointments with him whatsoever. I'm a costumer, not a devout. If the brand still holds the same name as before, but the products don't match, I have no obligation of "adapting". And that's why people like me don't like the modern design. It's not that it's the same Sonic, except different. To our eyes, it's a completely different entity.

EDIT: Do I look smart enough for you now, Sean?

Edited by Palas
  • Thumbs Up 2